Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 hits 400k concurrent users before launch

Comments

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by RizelStar
    Originally posted by Ozreth
    Originally posted by Mephster
    Originally posted by Zezda

That was over 1 million pre-purchases, not total copies sold.

it is still considerably low than what people were hyping this gamen out to be. Just shows you what hype does.

The problem here is you are letting the insane amount of hype that you read about on all of the various internet boards and sites skew your opininion. The vocal people on these sites represent the smallest majority of gamers. It's easy to forget that and I definitely do it all the time.

I have no opinion here or there on GW2, but I understand that online hype, no matter how massive, dosen't represent the amount of people who will end up playing the game in the beginning. 

That and there was plenty of threads about how many GW2 sold, and I shit you guys not all the serious claims(I mean sheesh you can tell) people didn't expect much at launch, a matter of fact 1-3 million at launch  was common every time there was a thread.

Course everybody can pretend like that wasn't the case because it's easy to pretend like ish was different, thogh people did say sales would be pretty good in the first month by word of month.

Guild Wars IP isn't that high on the "Ahhh shit I know what this is!" list.(Common Sense)

This isn't towards you Oz, I actualy agree, but just noting that even through all this "hype" many vocal fans on this forum at least had realistic expectations of the sales, Mephster is baiting for no damn reason other to just bait lol(I believe I took it at of sheer pity).

Whelp that being said, guys be easy and live happy, peace.

Have a look at this thread many predicting 3+ million up to 9 million from Colddog. So really, are people pretending those silly numbers did exist?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/358327

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    That link doesn't work right. Also, what is the context of the prediction? Launch, month? Year? I predicted three million the first month I believe. 1 milion from prepurchasers without numbers for preorder or after launch seems to fit. 9 million for the year may seem like a stretch but who knows.
    Originally posted by Aelious
    That link doesn't work right. Also, what is the context of the prediction? Launch, month? Year? I predicted three million the first month I believe. 1 milion from prepurchasers without numbers for preorder or after launch seems to fit. 9 million for the year may seem like a stretch but who knows.

The link works for me but here's some highlights and they are a range from headstart to Christmas, but basically overall sales. Also Atlan99 and Colddog have a bet going and I think Atlan odds on favorite so far.

Gestalt 4 mil

Oldmanfunk 4.5/5 mil

Fiontar 4.36 mil

Colddog 6/9 mil

Lobotomist 3/8 mil

Lord.Bachus 3/6 mil

Fivoroth 5 mil

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    Originally posted by Calerxes

The link works for me but here's some highlights and they are a range from headstart to Christmas, but basically overall sales. Also Atlan99 and Colddog have a bet going and I think Atlan odds on favorite so far.

Gestalt 4 mil

Oldmanfunk 4.5/5 mil

Fiontar 4.36 mil

Colddog 6/9 mil

Lobotomist 3/8 mil

Lord.Bachus 3/6 mil

Fivoroth 5 mil

Paroxic: 2mill by end of 2 month, 5 mil by xmas.

Creslin: 3 mil -- 2 months

Mattvid: 2.5 mill -- 2 months

Colddog 6 mil 2 month, 9 mil years end. (even states "unreasonable" in multiple responds)

LuciferIAm: 3.5 mil min, 5 mil max -- 2 months

DarLorkar: 3.25 mil

liliyo: 3.5 mil

Rockhide 2.2 mil

Twefoju: 2-3 mil -- 2 months

Lobotomist: 3 mil -- 2month: 8 mill -- years end

Lord Bachus: 3 mil -- 2 months: 6 mill -- years end

The Korrigan: 2 mill -- 2 months: 3.5 mil by xmas

Need I go on?

That's the first 3-4 pages worth, and on page 5 there is atleast 4 people saying 2-3 mil.

Not completely unrealistic figures besides the couple. GW2 blind fanboi's aren't as bad as you think. Heck what were SW:TOR's guestimates? 

for anygaem there will always be someone who over shines the game, of course, but on a general consensus, i'd say GW2 fanbase thinks it will sell roughly 2-3 mill in first month to two, and upwards of 6-7 by years end.

Personally i don't put it past 5.5 by years end, but just form skimming that thread YOU linked me, most people have reasonable estimates.

over 1 mill sold by launch day? It can only grow right?

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

Originally posted by Sukiyaki

Gestalt 4 mil

Oldmanfunk 4.5/5 mil

Fiontar 4.36 mil

Colddog 6/9 mil

Lobotomist 3/8 mil

Lord.Bachus 3/6 mil

Fivoroth 5 mil

Talking about first/second month after launch. Not pre-purchases before launch as is our context.

Its the 1st day after official launch.

You seem desperate to prove these irrational claims about us so called "fanbois overhyping the game"...

1/3-1/4  of the 1st month sales predictions already have been achieved without anything but pre-purchases not even pre-orders before the launch. Even in your cherry picked extreme examples. SO FAR OFF! SOOO OVERHYPED!!!!

Calm down its only a computer game and this is only a bit of fun.

Originally posted by Wolvards

Gestalt 4 mil

Oldmanfunk 4.5/5 mil

Fiontar 4.36 mil

Colddog 6/9 mil

Lobotomist 3/8 mil

Lord.Bachus 3/6 mil

Fivoroth 5 mil

Colddog 6 mil 2 month, 9 mil years end. (even states "unreasonable" in multiple responds)

Rockhide 2.2 mil

Need I go on?

That's the first 3-4 pages worth, and on page 5 there is atleast 4 people saying 2-3 mil.

Not completely unrealistic figures besides the couple. GW2 blind fanboi's aren't as bad as you think. Heck what were SW:TOR's guestimates? 

for anygaem there will always be someone who over shines the game, of course, but on a general consensus, i'd say GW2 fanbase thinks it will sell roughly 2-3 mill in first month to two, and upwards of 6-7 by years end.

Personally i don't put it past 5.5 by years end, but just form skimming that thread YOU linked me, most people have reasonable estimates.

Thanks for proving my point.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by Wolvards

Gestalt 4 mil

Oldmanfunk 4.5/5 mil

Fiontar 4.36 mil

Colddog 6/9 mil

Lobotomist 3/8 mil

Lord.Bachus 3/6 mil

Fivoroth 5 mil

Rockhide 2.2 mil

Need I go on?

Thanks for proving my point.

Who knows what advertising ANet has planned or how word of mouth will spread.  I think that ANet has a big advertising campaign set for right after MoP hits for a little payback.  Right now they can afford to wait while they get their systems running 100%.  Without putting any of my own predictions out there, there are a few things to consider:

GW2 is still #1, 3 & 5 for PC sales outside of known pre-purchase #'s and unknown pre-order #'s.  I think it's safe to say that without a heavy advertising campaign this is impreessive.  Now until the end of the year will be interesting to be sure.
  • DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Didn't guild wars 1 sell like 6-7 million copies. Wouldn't most agree gw2 will be a more well known and bigger game overall. I wouldn't have thought gw1 did those numbers but it would be resonable to assume the sequal will do as good if not better no?
  • xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by DaezAster
    Didn't guild wars 1 sell like 6-7 million copies. Wouldn't most agree gw2 will be a more well known and bigger game overall. I wouldn't have thought gw1 did those numbers but it would be resonable to assume the sequal will do as good if not better no?

Pretty sure that number includes sales of all the GW games throughout its life time. I wouldn't be surprised if GW2 takes roughly the smae modle, were a b2p "expansion" is offered every 6-9 months. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Anyone expecting 2-3 mil sales in the first 60 days is nuts id guess 75% of people who were going to play it already bought it.  Also sales mean NOTHING for GW2 with no subscription model we have no way to determine the revenue the game brings in, but we do know that wow has millions of NA/EU players paying 12-15$ a month.  Also swtor had a million paying subscribers 3 months after launch.   Now can the cash shop makeup for 15m in revenue per month ?  maybe i doubt it.   Make no mistake if you believe box sales/preorders covered the production cost of GW2 you're a fool.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    400k at pre-launch is a lot. More than SWTOR had. We'll see how the next few months go.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

SWTOR hit around 700k - 800k if I remember correctly.

If GW2 hit half for just prepurchases it sold around 1 - 1.5m copies.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    Originally posted by William12
    Anyone expecting 2-3 mil sales in the first 60 days is nuts id guess 75% of people who were going to play it already bought it.  Also sales mean NOTHING for GW2 with no subscription model we have no way to determine the revenue the game brings in, but we do know that wow has millions of NA/EU players paying 12-15$ a month.  Also swtor had a million paying subscribers 3 months after launch.   Now can the cash shop makeup for 15m in revenue per month ?  maybe i doubt it.   Make no mistake if you believe box sales/preorders covered the production cost of GW2 you're a fool.

What's your estimate on total cost to produce? 

1 million flat * 60 (assuming everyone only bought the digital copy) = 60 million at the very least revenue.

More likely around 80ish million just from box sales -

• dumbo11dumbo11 Member Posts: 134

They sold a tad over 1 mill copies which is about normal for a popular ip these days. Whatever happened to that 2-3 mill copies at launch. Doubt we will see that many more copies sold. Still a good profit I would imagine.

Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/28/guild-wars-2-hits-400k-concurrent-users-before-launch/

From the press release:

"Even before today's launch, more than one million fans paid for the game in full to enjoy a 3-day Headstart prior to today's official launch."

Pre-purchase = 3-day headstart, sold (mostly/entirely?) via arenanet's website. (this is the number quoted above).

Pre-order = 1-day headstart, sold by most shops/stores, but not paid for in advance.

(pre-order figures are notoriously unreliable until the stores report back the actual sales figures)

• WarcannibalWarcannibal Member Posts: 24

Will the witness approach the stand and let the jury know, just how many copies are estimated to be in gamers hands right now.

Great, and would the witness know, just how many of those 400,000 are actually playing this weekend.

3 - 4,000,000.

Logic, intraweb-style.

/dance

"GW2 is the Methadone to WoWs Heroin."

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

There was a thread where forum users guessed how many sales there would been once GW2 hits the 2-month mark. We'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.

Link to the thread: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/358327

How about this infamous thread --- GW2 vs WoW: MoP --- Comparision on Amazon.com

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/360822/page/1

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    Originally posted by Warcannibal

Will the witness approach the stand and let the jury know, just how many copies are estimated to be in gamers hands right now.

Great, and would the witness know, just how many of those 400,000 are actually playing this weekend.

3 - 4,000,000.

Logic, intraweb-style.

/dance

If you're going to use logic to hate on folks please at least use the figures everyone (including the other haters) are throwing around.

Or was this like a sarcastic quip?

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

3 - 4,000,000.

Logic, intraweb-style.

/dance

400,000 copies?  How did you get that from this thread?  400,000 IS the number of people playing this weekend... the copies sold were over 1 mil., with pre-orders potentially much more.

Reading is your friend.

See GW1 was effectively 4 games so 1.5 million players buy all four equating to 6 million also there were constant bundle packs and cheap offer packs as well, so the initial number is probably higher, I bought Nightfall first and then bopught the original game at discount prices though I thought the game was a quality game it never grabbed me like other games so I didn't play for long. GW2 is one game so far and we have to see how they roll out expac content, box or no box, so to think that GW2 will get up to those numbers is not looking at the whole picture. 

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by thinktank001
    I called the release numbers a couple of months ago.   It probably won't be much different than Aion.  

FInally someone who gets it. I mean we even present facts to the diehards about the numbers and they still think 2-3 million are lurking out there buying GW2 right now. Completely insane. This has to be the most overhype game in history of mmos, well other than The Old Republic. 

DUH you mean the hype we also saw with Warhammer? Aion? Vanguard? Age of Conan? shall I go on? All I know is that just about everyone in my guild is having a blast. We have well over 100 online at all times and the feedback has been enormously positive. This game was NOT marketed in the same way as SWTOR and relied a lot on Word of Mouth. More people will join over time. Who cares what the total number is if in general the people playing are having a blast and are generally not disappointed. If anything, for me, it exceeded my expectations as I didn't follow the game all that much until the last beta...and testing my PC the beta before that.

There Is Always Hope!

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

See GW1 was effectively 4 games so 1.5 million players buy all four equating to 6 million also there were constant bundle packs and cheap offer packs as well, so the initial number is probably higher, I bought Nightfall first and then bopught the original game at discount prices though I thought the game was a quality game it never grabbed me like other games so I didn't play for long. GW2 is one game so far and we have to see how they roll out expac content, box or no box, so to think that GW2 will get up to those numbers is not looking at the whole picture. 

Your numbers are a bit wrong. By December 2008, GW1 had almost 6 milion unique accounts.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by heartless

Your numbers are a bit wrong. By December 2008, GW1 had almost 6 milion unique accounts.

Makes one wonder what they mean with "unique account" and if buying original and then an "expansion" counts as two accounts or just one.  Anyone with a lack of scruples can manipulate numbers by first counting each as self-contained account, then merging it seconds later, but then typing in the former number in the reports. To avoid the presentation issues, it would have been better to just present how many units of each part of GW1 were sold and how many combination packs were sold. Not that hard, they have the numbers.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by heartless

Makes one wonder what they mean with "unique account" and if buying original and then an "expansion" counts as two accounts or just one.  Anyone with a lack of scruples can manipulate numbers by first counting each as self-contained account, then merging it seconds later, but then typing in the former number in the reports. To avoid the presentation issues, it would have been better to just present how many units of each part of GW1 were sold and how many combination packs were sold. Not that hard, they have the numbers.

Or we can, you know, take of our tin foil hats and not create ridiculous conspiracies.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by Zezda

That was over 1 million pre-purchases, not total copies sold.

it is still considerably low than what people were hyping this gamen out to be. Just shows you what hype does.

lol... man, it's only pre-purchases... there's no retail sales, there's no preorder sales so there's a huge chunk missing...

And wait, the game was released today... SWTOR didn't get it's first million in the 1st day...

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by Eir_S

3 - 4,000,000.

Logic, intraweb-style.

/dance

400,000 copies?  How did you get that from this thread?  400,000 IS the number of people playing this weekend... the copies sold were over 1 mil., with pre-orders potentially much more.

Reading is your friend.

[mod edit]

and the fact still stands that 400k was the number of people playing at the same time on servers... now, you do know the NDA wasn't lifted for any beta phase of this game unless it was BWE, right? You do know you could get sued if you actually did participate in this test and you just blabed it out now?

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------