Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Metacridiots

Comments

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    Originally posted by Nikkita

Really? The you're just angry and emotional defense?  Are you married :)?

Atleast that would be a genuine reason to moan and complain about.

Soooo moaning about my post is genuine?  Ahhhh metacomplaining ;).

That is what you call moaning?  I am just trying to bring some balance and reasoning in this topic. Since fanboys as well as haters are incapable of rational thoughts. 

94/100 isn't a ridiculous score for gw2, though it would be for SWTOR.  You can call me a fanboi for having an opinion if you like.

It is only fair isn't it? since you called people in your OP idiots too for having an opinion?

I called them idiots for giving a score tto same score to GW2 that I would have given to Duke nukem forever or the spawn video game for PS.  I called them idiots for having absolutely no perspective.

And saying it is quite allright for GW2 to have 10/10 is what you call having a prespective? please!!  

My opinions is better than yours and if you disagree with me you are idiots...that is the gist of what you have been posting here.

*rolls eyes*.

let's see....

Mean score right now = 8.2

Difference between 10 and mean score = 1.8

Difference between 4 and mean score = 4.2

Comprende?

A really low number is way more extreme and further than the mean than a 10 in this case.  I know you want to say it's ridiculous just because it's the highest possible number someone can give, and I'm sure there are some people who gave it a 10 for no reason.

But if someone gave it a 9.9...would you call that ridiculous?  What about a 9.8?  I would think that you couldn't possible call a 9.2 out of 10 ridiculous because the game will likely get around that on metacritic critic rating in the end...it has a 100 and a 94 right now.  So if a 9.2 isn't ridiculous...then a 10 which is a whopping 0.8 points away is just "out of the question?"

Your reasoning falls if we assume a non-linear scaling. I don't see why it should be linear at all.

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

That is what you call moaning?  I am just trying to bring some balance and reasoning in this topic. Since fanboys as well as haters are incapable of rational thoughts. 

94/100 isn't a ridiculous score for gw2, though it would be for SWTOR.  You can call me a fanboi for having an opinion if you like.

It is only fair isn't it? since you called people in your OP idiots too for having an opinion?

I called them idiots for giving a score tto same score to GW2 that I would have given to Duke nukem forever or the spawn video game for PS.  I called them idiots for having absolutely no perspective.

And saying it is quite allright for GW2 to have 10/10 is what you call having a prespective? please!!  

My opinions is better than yours and if you disagree with me you are idiots...that is the gist of what you have been posting here.

*rolls eyes*.

let's see....

Comprende?

A really low number is way more extreme and further than the mean than a 10 in this case.  I know you want to say it's ridiculous just because it's the highest possible number someone can give, and I'm sure there are some people who gave it a 10 for no reason.

But if someone gave it a 9.9...would you call that ridiculous?  What about a 9.8?  I would think that you couldn't possible call a 9.2 out of 10 ridiculous because the game will likely get around that on metacritic critic rating in the end...it has a 100 and a 94 right now.  So if a 9.2 isn't ridiculous...then a 10 which is a whopping 0.8 points away is just "out of the question?"

No comprende because this is not what your OP was about. You are annoyed because people are giving GW2 low scores. Even though it is their opinion no matter how ridiculous. It was not about whether they are giving it 1 or 1.9. 2 or 2.9. 

The aggregate is formed by individual ratings. So even though GW2 could be 9 out of 10 in aggregate it still doesn't change what i think about rating games 1/10 or 10/10 or even 9.8 or 9.9. Both are two sides of same extremes.

One is blinded by the hate..other is blinded by his love that he can't see anything wrong with the game. 

Bite Me

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Creslin321 Really? The you're just angry and emotional defense?  Are you married :)? Atleast that would be a genuine reason to moan and complain about. Soooo moaning about my post is genuine?  Ahhhh metacomplaining ;).
    That is what you call moaning?  I am just trying to bring some balance and reasoning in this topic. Since fanboys as well as haters are incapable of rational thoughts.      Originally posted by Creslin321 94/100 isn't a ridiculous score for gw2, though it would be for SWTOR.  You can call me a fanboi for having an opinion if you like.

So the issue is people expressing opinions that you don't agree with? If someone hates GW2, what is incorrect about the 0 rating? For someone who hates the game, it is unplayable. An unplayable game should get a review of 0.

That is an egocentric argument.  

"I dislike the game, therefore it should get a 0."  

No.  I dislike Bango Kazooie, but I can still recognize that it's not a bad game.  Just like I dislike Eve, but I can see why people would like it.  

On the same token, I loved Endless Space, but I recognize that it has a lot of issues.

This is called perspective.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

*rolls eyes*.

let's see....

Comprende?

No comprende because this is not what your OP was about. You are annoyed because people are giving GW2 low scores. Even though it is their opinion no matter how ridiculous. It was not about whether they are giving it 1 or 1.9. 2 or 2.9. 

The aggregate is formed by individual ratings. So even though GW2 could be 9 out of 10 in aggregate it still doesn't change what i think about rating games 1/10 or 10/10 or even 9.8 or 9.9. Both are two sides of same extremes.

One is blinded by the hate..other is blinded by his love that he can't see anything wrong with the game. 

I have made SEVERAL negative posts about the cash shop in this game.  In fact, I'm almost famous around this forum for doing that.

So...sorry, but I'm not going to fit neatly into the fanboi box that you're trying to put me in.

The OP is about people giving the game a ridiculous score for ridiculous reasons.  That's it.

However, I will agree with one thing...someone in this conversation seems to have an ulterior motive here.  But I don't think it's me ;).

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

*rolls eyes*.

let's see....

Comprende?

Your reasoning falls if we assume a non-linear scaling. I don't see why it should be linear at all.

Because the final score is computed by simple average?  Seems like a good reason to me.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Distopia

Yeah but this is GW2! Man! Of course its different! Man!

Seriously this always happens. Love how some that heckled others and other games are getting all up in arms now though. Amusing to watch.

I agree 100%

Seems to indicate that these posts are more personally motivated than anyone's willing to admit, doesn't it?

I don't like that guy.  He's con.  I'll go pro-, and begin the post with calling him names...lol I feel better, ripped that newb good.

Yep, that's the way it looks, and the way it always looks. lol

Makes me think of that GOT quote Creslin used back during the TOR wars. STill gives me a chuckle from time to time. The interwebz is serious business.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    One thing I have learned over the years, eventually the truth comes out.   Doesn't matter how much people hype a game or how much people slam a game.   Bad games are bad games, and if the game is bad, people will stop playing it.    Good games tend to stick around and grow over time.  Mediocre games just - well, languish in mediocrity.   I do not think GW2 is immune to the truth.   Eventually people will see it for what it is and they will either decide it is for them or it isn't.  
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Blinded is, of course, an unreasonable exageration by both sides.

You can't really assume the other team is hopelessly close-minded, without admiting the possibility that your team is, too.

Or...it's the hopelessly close-minded that really isn't true, in either case.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

User critics on the internet usually go toward the extremes, for pretty much anything.

I would put much value on them, unless you can talk to the guy who is giving the user review and find out more.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Originally posted by jblah
    Hmm.... They seemed legit when it was other games in the spotlight.

Yup.

Seriously this always happens. Love how some that heckled others and other games are getting all up in arms now though. Amusing to watch.

I agree 100%

Seems to indicate that these posts are more personally motivated than anyone's willing to admit, doesn't it?

I don't like that guy.  He's con.  I'll go pro-, and begin the post with calling him names...lol I feel better, ripped that newb good.

Completely agree.

The funny thing is that I was painted as a major GW2 fanboi for just pointing out that a bunch of people gave the game a score that was ridiculous far away from the mean, and their reasons were pretty ridiculousy.  But apparently, I must be a rabid fanboi because I didn't include some token ridiculous "10" scores, even though a 10 is much closer to the mean in this case.

Again it was their opinion.even if it was ridiculous to you. To call them idiots for stating their opinion was uncalled for.  If you really didn't want to come off as a fanboy you would have mentioned people scoring 10's too not because it is token  scorebut because that is what a prudent and non biased person would do.

It is not about whehther 10 is the aggregate of all the scores but about nidividual reviews who are giving ridiculous scores of 10/10. Your OP was never..i repeat was never about the overall aggregate but about openly calling out others for giving low scores to your beloved game.

I feel like there are essentially two sides lined up on either side ready to sling mud at each other, and unless you try to appear absolutely neutral in every post you make, then you will be categorized on one side or the other.

You don't have to try..if you are trying then it means you are not being honest. You were never neutral to begin with. And i don't think anyone was expcting that you would be neutral.

Well, I'm not going to say stuff that I don't believe just so I can give the appearance of "balance," when I think something is stupid, I will point it out.

That is what others have been doing too. Pointing out something stupid like giving 10/10 to GW2 which is as stupid as giving 1/10.  And they didn't even need to try to appear 'balanced or netural*.

Bite Me

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Teala
    One thing I have learned over the years, eventually the truth comes out.   Doesn't matter how much people hype a game or how much people slam a game.   Bad games are bad games, and if the game is bad, people will stop playing it.    Good games tend to stick around and grow over time.  Mediocre games just - well, languish in mediocrity.   I do not think GW2 is immune to the truth.   Eventually people will see it for what it is and they will either decide it is for them or it isn't.  

"X-There's only one truth-X"

Lyrics aside, the only truth is the level of enjoyment  the individual finds in a title, that''s it.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

*rolls eyes*.

let's see....

Comprende?

Because the final score is computed by simple average?  Seems like a good reason to me.

Which is why no serious reviewers should use average in that way. A modified normal distribution would be more suitable, in which case 9.5 to 10.0 requires far more than 7.5 to 8.0.

I have made SEVERAL negative posts about the cash shop in this game.  In fact, I'm almost famous around this forum for doing that.

So...sorry, but I'm not going to fit neatly into the fanboi box that you're trying to put me in.

The OP is about people giving the game a ridiculous score for ridiculous reasons.  That's it.

However, I will agree with one thing...someone in this conversation seems to have an ulterior motive here.  But I don't think it's me ;).

Yeah ulterior motive to point out the obvious double standards and hypocricy.  People with motives make OP's where the openly call people idiots because they gave low scores to their favorite MMO.

Bite Me

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Snip

let's see....

Comprende?

In the past  you've had a much different view of the Metacritic scoring system. Something along the lines of people rating it like pass/fail, so 0 for disliked and 10 for liked. I agree with that view, by the way.

I don't quite get how, now that it's GW2, the meaning of a 10 score has changed to be more legitimate and less ridiculous than a 0 (which I agree is completely ridiculous). It's still an extreme scoring decision.

Which is why no serious reviewers should use average in that way. A modified normal distribution would be more suitable, in which case 9.5 to 10.0 requires far more than 7.5 to 8.0.

A non-borked stdev, yes indeed.   Hence why "1 or 10" bifurcated vote isn't just the same.

Measure stdevs-from-the-mean, and Creslin's actually measuring the statistically meaningful, honest and true z-score (and boring people to tears too, in passing :).

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Originally posted by jblah
    Hmm.... They seemed legit when it was other games in the spotlight.

Yup.

I agree 100%

Completely agree.

The funny thing is that I was painted as a major GW2 fanboi for just pointing out that a bunch of people gave the game a score that was ridiculous far away from the mean, and their reasons were pretty ridiculousy.  But apparently, I must be a rabid fanboi because I didn't include some token ridiculous "10" scores, even though a 10 is much closer to the mean in this case.

Again it was their opinion.even if it was ridiculous to you. To call them idiots for stating their opinion was uncalled for.  If you really didn't want to come off as a fanboy you would have mentioned people scoring 10's too not because it is token  scorebut because that is what a prudent and non biased person would do.

It is not about whehther 10 is the aggregate of all the scores but about nidividual reviews who are giving ridiculous scores of 10/10. Your OP was never..i repeat was never about the overall aggregate but about openly calling out others for giving low scores to your beloved game.

I feel like there are essentially two sides lined up on either side ready to sling mud at each other, and unless you try to appear absolutely neutral in every post you make, then you will be categorized on one side or the other.

You don't have to try..if you are trying then it means you are not being honest. You were never neutral to begin with. And i don't think anyone was expcting that you would be neutral.

Well, I'm not going to say stuff that I don't believe just so I can give the appearance of "balance," when I think something is stupid, I will point it out.

That is what others have been doing too. Pointing out soemthing stupid as giving 10/10 to GW2 which as stupid as giving 1/10.  And they didn't even need to try to 'appear balanced or netural*.

This is going nowhere lol.  No reason to restate my same points yet again.

Originally posted by rygard49
    Snip

let's see....

Comprende?

In the past  you've had a much different view of the Metacritic scoring system. Something along the lines of people rating it like pass/fail, so 0 for disliked and 10 for liked. I agree with that view, by the way.

I don't quite get how, now that it's GW2, the meaning of a 10 score has changed to be more legitimate and less ridiculous than a 0 (which I agree is completely ridiculous). It's still an extreme scoring decision.

Yeah I think that is what a lot of people do...but I also think its stupid ;).

You are not reastating anything you are just changing goal posts ;). What you have been saying now about aggregate of metacritichad nothign to do with your OP.  You just needed to lash out at people and call them idiots so you did. No matter how reasonable and cool you try to appear now but i think cat is already out of the bag.

Bite Me

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

This is the second time I've gotten the "whoa calm down buddy" argument lol.  Which is annoying because if you respond to it, then that's proof that you're being defensive or whatever.  And if you don't respond to it...then well, the other guy gets in the last word and basically wins.  Now that, that is out of the way...

I am annoyed because it seems like many folks on this site apply a general rule to every video game that nothing ever deserves a high score, and if you believe that any game deserves a high score, then you are a fanboi.  The same can be said for low score and "hater."

I however, like to examine games on a case by case basis instead of applying some kind of general rule, and expecting every poster to be basically ambivalent towards every care.  My prediction is that GW2 deserves and will receive a metacritic score in the 90's.  If I'm wrong, then you can gloat.  If I'm right, then it pretty much validates everything I have said.

Uh yeah...has nothing to do with responding. Has to do with your bizarre assumption I'm calling you a fanboi or implying as much. Not to mention yo've brought this up a couple times that you're somehow being branded a fanboy. By who? You? Did anyone even go there with you.

Maybe you're seeing that brought up because essentially you are overreacting really.

Why would I even gloat over the metacritic score if you're wrong? My only points is in this thread far as responding to you is that I find it ironic that a 1/10 is a review by an idiot yet a 10/10 is an understandable and acceptable score and sorry but any review at this point is being based on too little experience with the game regardless the person doing it. Doen't matter if they trash it or exclaim it is the one best games ever.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• SicaeSicae Member Posts: 110

If you offer 100 people free coffee and biscuits there will be 10 people having problems with the coffee or biscuit. Someone says the coffee is too hot, one says its cold, a third complains there is no milk, a fourth that they don't have their favorite brand, there will be two that complain that there is no tea, and someone who would have wanted a sandwich instead.

If people would rate their opinion on free coffee and biscuit, 50 would give it 8-10, 40 wouldn't bother to rate it at all, and everyone that disliked it would give it 0-3. 

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

Exaggeration.

Catastrophization.

Hyperbole.

Minimization.

Meiosis.

Minification.

It all boils down to one simple idea when you are successful.

A haters gonna Hate. So, get your Party Rockin!!!

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by rygard49

Yeah I think that is what a lot of people do...but I also think its stupid ;).

I agree, it's stupid.

So why does that make a 10 score less ridiculous than a 0 score? They're both extreme, polarized opinions of the game. Neither are indicative of a real score. But in this case you're saying a 10 is reasonable, and a 0 is not.

Honestly, though, it's your thread and therefore your call on what you get to find ridiculous or not.

You are not reastating anything you are just changing goal posts ;). What you have been saying now about aggregate of metacritichad nothign to do with your OP.  You just needed to lash out at people and call them idiots so you did. No matter how reasonable and cool you try to appear now but i think cat is already out of the bag.

I think he had the right idea; just lacks the mathspeak.  Faulty polling is a big big bugaboo for a lot of people; but not many of them have the terminology to explain just exactly what's wrong with the picture.

Still others are only unhappy if the poll isn't "their direction".

I think he had the right idea; just lacks the mathspeak.  Faulty polling is a big big bugaboo for a lot of people; but not many of them have the terminology to explain just exactly what's wrong with the picture.

I agree.

Bite Me

Problem is that even if I did calculate the real standard deviation for this distribution, and show how a 1 is like 4 std devs away from the mean, but a 10 is only 1 away...most people wouldn't understand and would just call me a fanboi and move on lol.