Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Metacridiots

Comments

• LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    Ahh good ol' Metacritic the voice & forum for the Fanboi, the angry gamer, and the bane of paid reviews =)

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Metacritic is about the most unreliable source there is for reviews.

The users there only ever give exrtemely low, or extremely high reviews. You rarely see a genuine review, just haters giving games 0 or 1 /10 and fanboys giving 10/10.

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    Originally posted by Anubisan

I come here to discuss games that I've purchased and am playing. According to many GW2 fanboys, all of my problems should now be solved and I should be having the most fun I've ever had playing this game. Sadly that isn't happening for me. Are you saying I shouldn't be allowed to discuss that here?

you don't come here to discuss, you come here to tell us all that you don't like the game (every bloody day). like how you told us well before it was released ..you were just waiting to write negatively about it. Why bother wasting anymore time on a game you don't like unless you have an agenda? Why did you purchase a game that you have been criticizing for about a year now?

Oh give me a break. Exaggerate much? I don't post on this forum anywhere near every day. I have posted here more recently since I've been playing since the head start, but that is far from daily. I also tend to post in numerous game forums that I am interested in. I purchased GW2 and have been giving it a chance, so I feel I have every right to comment about it.

I have no 'agenda' other than to discuss games that I'm playing. Just like everyone else around here. I know it hurts when a game you love is not universally loved by all, but that tends to happen on this site. Whether or not I find GW2 lacking is completely beside the point though. All I did in this thread was to point out the obviously biased standpoint of the OP and his remarks about metacritic. I stand by everything I said.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    Like it is different here? Mmo's are love hate relationships. Not rational ones.
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    I personally never look at metacritics for anything.  It's a bunch of dipshits writing mostly hate reviews.  The fact is, no one can write an accurate review within a couple days of launch.  Anyone who tries to is simpy fooling themselves.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    I personally never look at metacritics for anything.  It's a bunch of dipshits writing mostly hate reviews.  The fact is, no one can write an accurate review within a couple days of launch.  Anyone who tries to is simpy fooling themselves.

The overall average from people tends to be pretty spot on I think. Easy to single out some reviews though that go to one extreme or the other.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by stragen001

The users there only ever give exrtemely low, or extremely high reviews. You rarely see a genuine review, just haters giving games 0 or 1 /10 and fanboys giving 10/10.

Funny how you think a 1/10 is not acceptable but a 9/10 is from users...

Shouldn't it read: "You rarely see a genuine review, just haters giving games 0 or 1/10 and fanboys giving 10 or 9/10."

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by muthax

The hype generated by 'gw2 fanbois' before launch was huge and a lot of people got annoyed (god know why but hey that's human beings for you)

So all the 'haters' were out for revenge but hey unfortunately the game is great, so what can they do? Troll MMOs forums with posts like we can see here on MMORPG right now and post fake 'reviews' everywhere

pathetic. even more pathetic when they try to defend themselves with stuff like "I like the game but it has a lot of problems but you know I still care, even if I say it's shite"

Really?   Can you point me to this hoard of fanbois going from forum to forum like demented town-criers advertising their game?  Because except for a few semi-professional trolls, many of whom are now on my ignore list, who use other games to bash the 'Game Victim of the Day" on it's forum, I didn't see a whole lot of people going out of their way to Preach the Gospel of Guild Wars 2...

Now, I did see a lot of excited fans in GW2 forums.   And a lot of trolls, especially DAOC trolls, as well.    Plus there was the inevitable which-came-first, the chicken-or-the-egg counter trolling of uncertain origin and disposition.

But this 'huge hype..'     Didn't really see it.  

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

Funny how you think a 1/10 is not acceptable but a 9/10 is from users...

Shouldn't it read: "You rarely see a genuine review, just haters giving games 0 or 1/10 and fanboys giving 10 or 9/10."

Yes

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by MosesZD

But this 'huge hype..'     Didn't really see it.  

Take your blinders off then. Was pretty prevalent. You should know better than most with your time in the SWTOR forums alone.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

The game still as 8.2 overall score. Pretty good IMO. Also, how do yuo feel about those 10/10 and 9/10 scores OP?

The best part about all those reviewes is that, i bet none of the players have even played most of the game yet.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Originally posted by stragen001 Metacritic is about the most unreliable source there is for reviews. The users there only ever give exrtemely low, or extremely high reviews. You rarely see a genuine review, just haters giving games 0 or 1 /10 and fanboys giving 10/10.
    Funny how you think a 1/10 is not acceptable but a 9/10 is from users...   Shouldn't it read: "You rarely see a genuine review, just haters giving games 0 or 1/10 and fanboys giving 10 or 9/10."
    Yes

I actually gave 10 to counter the 0 trolls, i think the game deserve it anyway, it's probably one of the best mmo i played and i played a lot of them.

Also it doesn't really matter if people give a zero or 10 those are statistic, and if those number are there you can use them, it's not like a 1/9 score would make any sense anyway, so if a huge number are making score those will even out, and you won't ever have a 10 or 0 score when thousand of people cast.

• dumbo11dumbo11 Member Posts: 134
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    Originally posted by scy1987
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Once again, the users of Metacritic prove why Metacritic shouldn't be used.

why? cuz they game GW2 a bad review?

Apparently if you want to be hated and attacked just say "GW2 sucks" on this forums lolz

Did you even read the quotes I posted. It's not that the reviews are negative, it's that they are completely misinformed.

The metacritic professional review is practically an industry standard, and is used by many people for many reasons.

Picking "the secret world" (as it's a recent MMO that doesn't have the baggage of SWTOR).

The metacritic "professional" score is 72.

- there are 47 reviews.

- there are 4 reviews <=50%.

- there are 2 reviews >= 90%.

So 41/47 reviews sit in the 60-90 range, with an average 72.  Seems reasonable enough to me.

If we take that as 7/10, then 19 reviewers would have given it the average score (40% of reviewers would have given the game the same score as metacritic - a bit low, but probably reflects the range of opinions on a difficult to rate game)

---

The metacritic "user" review score is 8.4

Taking that as 8/10, 8 of the first 200 reviewers would have given it the average score.  Roughly 4% of reviewers would agree with the average metacritic score o_O.

The same is true of the GW2 reviews, and the reviews of other MMOs.  The majority of votes are 9-10 or 0-4.  People that genuinely rate a game make up an insignificant portion.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

The vocal subset of MMO gamers are more than just polarized, they are binary in their views. A game is either the next great thing or 'fail'.

With each title that comes out they make their voice less valuable and more irrelevant.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Creslin321

So I was reading some user review on metacritic, and I basically relearned why user reviews are generally completely unreliable.  I know that GW2 has some flaws...but just look at some of these quotes from negative reviews:

"Unfortunately this is about the same as Guild Wars 1 so not exactly sequel-worthy." 2/10

"The overflow system is a disgrace. PvE is ripped from Warhammer," 2/10

"It's supposed to be the second coming of Jesus Christ in gaming history. Instead we are left with a game, that tries to do innovative stuff, but unfortunately fail miserably. Once you're past all that shine and glimmer, you'll see the game for what it is: A good RPG. Nothing more, nothing less." 3/10 (a good RPG gets 3/10...really?)

"Mediocer graphics, buggy gameplay, server congestion, how can you seriously give this piece of cr** a good grade?" 0/10

"10/10 ? no game is worth 10/10 unless you're a fanboi, specially one with so many basic problems.. It's tries so much, taking the best bits of other games and molding them together but only manages to totally drop the ball. Same old generic fantasy world thats been seen countless times, cutesy WoWlite graphic's that while not bad scream childish." 0/10 

Really?

The GW2 internet community brought it on themselves SO its PAYBACK time. Not that I agree with it but a bit of quiet reflection on why should help heal those bruised ego's.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Hah, I like the Diablo 3 score of metacritic. 88/100 by critics and 3.8 by users.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by muthax

The hype generated by 'gw2 fanbois' before launch was huge and a lot of people got annoyed (god know why but hey that's human beings for you)

So all the 'haters' were out for revenge but hey unfortunately the game is great, so what can they do? Troll MMOs forums with posts like we can see here on MMORPG right now and post fake 'reviews' everywhere

pathetic. even more pathetic when they try to defend themselves with stuff like "I like the game but it has a lot of problems but you know I still care, even if I say it's shite"

Not everyone thing that the ¨game is great¨, and to be honest atm fanboys cant see the true state of the game so let just wait a full week to see what happen. 

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,455

9.36/10 on mmorpg.com... crushing any game released since WoW (and possibly even WoW, I wasn't reading this website back then I think).

'nuff said.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

9.36/10 on mmorpg.com... crushing any game released since WoW (and possibly even WoW, I wasn't reading this website back then I think).

'nuff said.

Right. And TSW having a previous score of 8.7 was a clear indication of how much you can trust that meter.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    So far the user rating is at 8.2, the metacridiots are in the minority.

imageimage
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    Originally posted by Requiamer

Originally posted by stragen001 Metacritic is about the most unreliable source there is for reviews. The users there only ever give exrtemely low, or extremely high reviews. You rarely see a genuine review, just haters giving games 0 or 1 /10 and fanboys giving 10/10.
    Funny how you think a 1/10 is not acceptable but a 9/10 is from users...   Shouldn't it read: "You rarely see a genuine review, just haters giving games 0 or 1/10 and fanboys giving 10 or 9/10."
    Yes

I actually gave 10 to counter the 0 trolls, i think the game deserve it anyway, it's probably one of the best mmo i played and i played a lot of them.

Also it doesn't really matter if people give a zero or 10 those are statistic, and if those number are there you can use them, it's not like a 1/9 score would make any sense anyway, so if a huge number are making score those will even out, and you won't ever have a 10 or 0 score when thousand of people cast.

So you were adding to the problem rather than help deal with it constructively by providing a legitmate rating?

Thanks for screwing up the ratings even more....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373

'nuff said.

Hype, not ratings....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,455
    Originally posted by Kyleran

'nuff said.

Hype, not ratings....

Ratings now.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• Deto123Deto123 Member Posts: 689
    Originally posted by Kyleran

'nuff said.

Hype, not ratings....

Ratings now.

Lol, how many people hit 10 10 10 10 10 10 , just because they can. These rating things are flat out stupid on the high and the low end.