Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Metacridiots

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    Originally posted by Anubisan

I love how people use metacritic to prove why a game they dislike sucks, and then turn around and discredit it when their favorite game is being criticized on the very same site. Seems a tad hypocritical don't you think?

You know... despite the rabid fanboyism around here, some people actually don't like GW2. Shocking, I know.

Well, there are always unreaasonable outliers on both ends of the spectrum, surprised the OP didn't highlight some of the 10/10's that are just as unbalanced in their scoring as well, but all depends which side of the fence you are standing on I suppose.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• jblahjblah Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I love how people use metacritic to prove why a game they dislike sucks, and then turn around and discredit it when their favorite game is being criticized on the very same site. Seems a tad hypocritical don't you think?

You know... despite the rabid fanboyism around here, some people actually don't like GW2. Shocking, I know.

Well, there are always unreaasonable outliers on both ends of the spectrum, surprised the OP didn't highlight some of the 10/10's that are just as unbalanced in their scoring as well, but all depends which side of the fence you are standing on I suppose.

Yeah the OP is certainly a one way street on this topic. All of those 10's are certainly justified and accurate.

Playing- Guild Wars 2, SWTOR
    SWTOR Referral Link Get a free Server Transfer and lots of other free stuff for your SWTOR account! Works for both new and previous players.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

/shrug

...and other crackheads give it 10/10 with loopy reasoning. If they even bothered to at all. Least the overall average seems a fair assessment most of the time. Individual reviews? Kind of hit and miss.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    Originally posted by scy1987
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Once again, the users of Metacritic prove why Metacritic shouldn't be used.

why? cuz they game GW2 a bad review?

Apparently if you want to be hated and attacked just say "GW2 sucks" on this forums lolz

Did you even read the quotes I posted. It's not that the reviews are negative, it's that they are completely misinformed.

Having the audacity to have a different opinion, and "misinformed", are two completely different things.  The quotes in the OP are nothing more than people expressing opinions that don't go in lock-step with the hive mind.  They are not simply erroneous on their face, and should not be discounted as such.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    i agree with thouse reviews also...as stated ppl r to hypnotized by GW2 and not actually looking at the game and reviewing it...cant wait till a MAJOR company does a review....

An MMO review is measured in weeks, not hours. No player, magazine or website with an opinion worth hearing will have a review out by today.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

What can you do?

People will always try to bash whats popular to stand out. Its the rebel in all of us.

Personally I am enjoying GW2 too much to care, already clocked 30 hours. Cleared each map as I get to them, and finally reached level 36. 

Crafting is fun due to the discovery and the exps you can get , but without the trading post open, I am left with alot of gear that I ended up just scavenging. 

having tried the PVP because I wanted to get used to the controls.

GW2 is the first game where I have tons to do and have to choose what to do and which to do without managing any quest logs. 

The personal story is also great, when I am lost as to where to go next, the personal stories directed me into other places, it takes care of the Themepark me without really hand holding. 

Hopefully people will try this game, its really a waste if the only thing holding you back from playing GW2 is because someone gives it a bad score. 

I am just happy that I never go to Metacritic for any reviews, because If I did that, I would have lost the chance to play this Gem.

Good luck to all those missing out, its truly a very addicitive game for me. And i am only on my first character and there are 4 more to go, I kept wondering whats the events like in other zones and if there are new ones. 

( BTW last night after getting 36 with my Charr, I went back to the beginning zones and thought I had to go south, as I go, I discovered another DE that I missed, a Chest that I missed, this is whats so fun with this MMO, even after spending 3 BWE in that zone and all of the first day in that zone, I still missed this one DE, I wonder how many more I missed!! )

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368
    Metacritic is useful when comparing ratings given by critics against other similar titles. It should be only used as a general guideline, but generally, if a game X gets a score over 80, it should be a pretty solid title even if some users do not like it. User ratings in general are useless because they represent less objective ratings and wider use of the 0 to 100 scale. While an individual review from a critic might be overly positive or somewhat negative, they seldom go far outside the range unlike with users. Have to say that some user comments might be useful, but not the ratings.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• SaydienSaydien Member Posts: 266

While those reviews definitely are harsh they still can simply be seen as people disliking the game what the GW2 fanboys finally should learn to accept. Yes, not everyone likes GW2 and they have the right to voice it.

Gave me the rolleyes when in another thread here someone called GW2 "average" and got called a troll even for that. Seriously...

The GW2 hype meter already has started getting its reality check. So far it has only known one direction since headstart and that's downwards.

• ChristoooChristooo Member UncommonPosts: 86
    i agree with thouse reviews also...as stated ppl r to hypnotized by GW2 and not actually looking at the game and reviewing it...cant wait till a MAJOR company does a review....

Learn to spell first, then offer your opinion. Have you played the game? Why not make a review of your own? Why is there this obsession of being force fed information that another person has presented? 

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

I agree with both of these statements, and I stand by my earlier statemtent (and previouse statements of the same) that Metacritic is garbage. Granted, if you could filter the 10/10s and 0/10s, you might have something worth noting.

Saying "I love it! The graphics are beautiful! 10/10" helps about as much as "Stupid connection issues! 0/10"

Disclaimer: I do not now, nor do I plan to later play GW2. Metacritic user reviews are worthless for all games.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

we know some people don't like it, but do you have to come on here every day and tells that you don't like it?

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798
    Originally posted by Aelious
    Anubisan

It's not a problem with people not liking GW2, it's saying ludicrous things as the basis for their decision. They could be honest: "the hype surrounding it pissed me off so I'm giving it a bad score". They know how ridiculous that would sound though so they put things that those that don't know any better might buy. This really goes for any game though since it happens to every one.

That is true. My only point is that it is hypocritical to point to metacritic when it suits you and to discredit it when it doesn't. It only serves to highlight one's bias.

I have always thought that Metacritic is ridiculous and really should not be taken seriously either way. The user reviews tend to be filled with 10s and 0s that come directly from the fanboy and hater camps. There is very little in the way of fair reviews in my opinion. There are very few (if any) games that deserve either a 0 or a 10.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    ppl r to hypnotized by GW2 and not actually looking at the game and reviewing it...cant wait till a MAJOR company does a review....

dont get your hopes up - i think Age of Conan had around 30 glowng reviews from regular review sites

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Anubisan I love how people use metacritic to prove why a game they dislike sucks, and then turn around and discredit it when their favorite game is being criticized on the very same site. Seems a tad hypocritical don't you think? You know... despite the rabid fanboyism around here, some people actually don't like GW2. Shocking, I know.

The scores of 10 or 0 are only outliers if they are extreme examples of all the scores. I think on Metacritic it's likely that a score of 10 or 0 is common. Outliers don't exist at either end of the bell curve. The bell curve probably doesn't exist for Metacritic...it's just a squiggly line. The only relevant number is the average of user scores. I think some of the individual user reviews are relevant, but you have to read them to find out which ones matter to you.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ajayazirajayazir Member Posts: 108
    Originally posted by jblah

Yeah the OP is certainly a one way street on this topic. All of those 10's are certainly justified and accurate.

This

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by Istavaan

we know some people don't like it, but do you have to come on here every day and tells that you don't like it?

That is the nature of forums. image

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

I come here to discuss games that I've purchased and am playing. According to many GW2 fanboys, all of my problems should now be solved and I should be having the most fun I've ever had playing this game. Sadly that isn't happening for me. Are you saying I shouldn't be allowed to discuss that here?

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Hmm.... They seemed legit when it was other games in the spotlight.

Yup.

if you think guild wars 2 will get bad reviews from the major review websites then you're a fool.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368
    GW2 is likely to get a critic rating between 82-92.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

I come here to discuss games that I've purchased and am playing. According to many GW2 fanboys, all of my problems should now be solved and I should be having the most fun I've ever had playing this game. Sadly that isn't happening for me. Are you saying I shouldn't be allowed to discuss that here?

you don't come here to discuss, you come here to tell us all that you don't like the game (every bloody day). like how you told us well before it was released ..you were just waiting to write negatively about it. Why bother wasting anymore time on a game you don't like unless you have an agenda? Why did you purchase a game that you have been criticizing for about a year now?

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654

if you think guild wars 2 will get bad reviews from the major review websites then you're a fool.

image Look at the scores they gave SWTOR.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Hmm.... They seemed legit when it was other games in the spotlight.

Yup.

Yeah but this is GW2! Man! Of course its different! Man!

Seriously this always happens. Love how some that heckled others and other games are getting all up in arms now though. Amusing to watch.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• OnecrazyguyOnecrazyguy Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Originally posted by Creslin321

So I was reading some user review on metacritic, and I basically relearned why user reviews are generally completely unreliable.  I know that GW2 has some flaws...but just look at some of these quotes from negative reviews:

"Unfortunately this is about the same as Guild Wars 1 so not exactly sequel-worthy." 2/10

"The overflow system is a disgrace. PvE is ripped from Warhammer," 2/10

"It's supposed to be the second coming of Jesus Christ in gaming history. Instead we are left with a game, that tries to do innovative stuff, but unfortunately fail miserably. Once you're past all that shine and glimmer, you'll see the game for what it is: A good RPG. Nothing more, nothing less." 3/10 (a good RPG gets 3/10...really?)

"Mediocer graphics, buggy gameplay, server congestion, how can you seriously give this piece of cr** a good grade?" 0/10

"10/10 ? no game is worth 10/10 unless you're a fanboi, specially one with so many basic problems.. It's tries so much, taking the best bits of other games and molding them together but only manages to totally drop the ball. Same old generic fantasy world thats been seen countless times, cutesy WoWlite graphic's that while not bad scream childish." 0/10 

Really?

Truth hurts?

• kharlankharlan Member UncommonPosts: 19

considering i've been waiting nearly 3 days for GWCS to reply too a ticket i submitted

i'm not going to give them a very high rating