Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

F2P FTW - Already Spent 2 Months Subscription

13»

Comments

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Hrica

just sell your stuff bro

They need to highlight the collectible item storage feature more. Seems a lot running out of space aren;t aware they can auto transfer their collectibles into storage. Which would suck if you couldn't due to how many there are.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb
    Originally posted by botrytis

You didn't need to spend it - you could have just used what is given to you. This is the key - it is all OPTIONAL. Your spending that much money is all on you.

All you had to do is buy the game and play it.

No sympathy here.

He DID need to spend it for more bag slots. It isn't optional when you're literally so overburdoned with gear & you have no room for it.

They've intentionally put stopgaps in GW2 to almost force you into buying gems.

I'm saddened you cannot see that :|.

Since the Trader has been down, I have been salvaging all the armor and weapons I get that I cannot or will not use.  This is the only way I have been able to keep crafting without spending hours upon hours farm for the little trophy things you need.  The havesting stuff is easy, wood and ore are a cake walk the little trophy's are a pain in the ass without the trader.

I did buy gems for the bank slot but that is because I wanted to, not because I was forced too.

Sooner or Later

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    Let's see here's a really good idea play the auction house/trading post once it's back up lol. Take the money from your ah/tp and buy gem's. Buy all the upgrades you want, don't need to spend a damn single dollar for anything in this game. Do some damn research before spouting useless bs.
  • ManifoldManifold Member UncommonPosts: 29
    The chest to key drop ratio is actually 1:0. Keys only come from single completion rewards like personal story quests and map completion. This means there is a maximum number of chests a single character can unlock without spending gems.

WildStar is like if Ratchet and Clank had a baby with Beyond Good & Evil and that baby was raised by World of Warcraft and Spore and babysat on the weekends by the aliens from Space Jam. It's an ugly bastard worth a few laughs but not much else.

• dumbo11dumbo11 Member Posts: 134

If you're really having trouble with inventory space, then this might help (I think this is based on pre-release info, things might have changed?)

http://blackrabbit2999.blogspot.com/2012/08/guild-wars-2-inventory-space-management.html

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Manifold
    The chest to key drop ratio is actually 1:0. Keys only come from single completion rewards like personal story quests and map completion. This means there is a maximum number of chests a single character can unlock without spending gems.

Incorrect, you can get keys from the big chests in main dynamic events.. like the Shadow Behemoth.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

I thought some have said they got them as drops? If this is the case that is fucking lame as hell. Does make sense though seeing as how I haven't gotten one yet.

EDIT: As a drop I should add

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531
    Originally posted by MARTYB2K

A couple of days in and i've already paid more than i would on 2 months subscription to other MMOs. F2P is definetly the way forward. I bought 1600 GEMS.

Used 600 for a extra Bank Slot and changed 800 into 2.5 Gold.

For arguments sake , let's say GW2 was that good , and F2P was really the way to go forward , they would of sold more copies then Skyrim by now.   Skyrim sold more collectors edition in the same ammount of time it took GW2 to sale 1 million copies. And keep in mind Skyrim doesn't have multi player capabilities , so therefor is in somewhat of a handicap against GW2.

F2P is not the way to go forward in a MMO , never is and never will be , there is always a catch sooner or later by playing F2P MMO's.  

So yeah , nothing further to type here.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Nitth

A couple of days in and i've already paid more than i would on 2 months subscription to other MMOs. F2P is definetly the way forward. I bought 1600 GEMS.

In a pay to play mmorpg you would have ALL the content given to you for 2 months at that price.

Good thing you have all the content open to you in GW2... An extra bank slot and gold isn't limiting content in any way.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

You didn't need to spend it - you could have just used what is given to you. This is the key - it is all OPTIONAL. Your spending that much money is all on you.

No sympathy here.

He DID need to spend it for more bag slots. It isn't optional when you're literally so overburdoned with gear & you have no room for it.

They've intentionally put stopgaps in GW2 to almost force you into buying gems.

I'm saddened you cannot see that :|.

Yeah...not sure what you're going on about. I seem to be doing just fine without purchasing anything from the store.

...not to mention, you can only buy 1 extra bag slot...

Originally posted by Vannor

Incorrect, you can get keys from the big chests in main dynamic events.. like the Shadow Behemoth.

Yea, thats what I was about to say. You can also get them from Chest themselves. So far, I've opened 4 chest and haven't spent any money. The only thing I'm going to spend money on is bank storage, bag slot on my main, and a character make over when its avaible (I don't like how my character looks, but I don't want to reroll now)

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

I've bought 200 gems for about 50 silver. Slowly building but totally totally awesome.

I will earn it slowly via in game means XD

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• heavy3p0heavy3p0 Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by Vannor

i have recieved one key as a drop from a normal mob in Queensdale, not during a DE. i also found around 12 lock boxes, so this should put the key drop rate at 1:.083 or worse.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by cinos

I used a little over 2 gold, all earned in game, and exchanged it for 600 gems. Unlocked my first bank slot completely for free. :D

If this is the future of cash shops then consider me onboard. :p

That's because they aren't letting the market be truly free; their system forces gem-sellers to either sell at undervalued prices during the starting days/weeks of the servers, not sell gems at all or pay real money through 3rd party site to obtain significantely more gold. It will take some time and lots of "gem-seller-sacrifices" before the equilibrium is met. 

The minimum wage is 7.25 dollars under federal U.S. law; on the other hand 600 gems cost about 7.5 dollars. If you played 10+ hours to obtain that gold, then it is somewhat acceptable, but if it took you far less time than that, it is a clear sign of the underhanded effects of the current system.

Edit:

In fact, all of you who are buying gems early from other players, should praise that there are people like the topic starter, who are willing to sacrifice themselves by selling at a far too low price.

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

I used a little over 2 gold, all earned in game, and exchanged it for 600 gems. Unlocked my first bank slot completely for free. :D

That's because they aren't letting the market be truly free; their system forces gem-sellers to either sell at undervalued prices during the starting days/weeks of the servers, not sell gems at all or pay real money through 3rd party site to obtain significantely more gold. It will take some time and lots of "gem-seller-sacrifices" before the equilibrium is met. 

The minimum wage is 7.25 dollars under federal U.S. law; on the other hand 600 gems cost about 7.5 dollars. If you played 10+ hours to obtain that gold, then it is somewhat acceptable, but if it took you far less time than that, it is a clear sign of the underhanded effects of the current system.

Edit:

In fact, all of you who are buying gems early should praise that there are people like the topic starter, who are willing to sacrifice themselves by selling at a far too low price.

I'm pretty sure the only thing ANET has done is set a ceeling on the amount you can sell gems for which, in an MMO, is needed. GW didn't have a ceeling on prices on any items during launch, which lead to a lot of market manipulation (since nothing is truly finite in an MMO) and massive inflation (again because nothing is finite in an MMO). 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by xpiher
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Edit:

In fact, all of you who are buying gems early should praise that there are people like the topic starter, who are willing to sacrifice themselves by selling at a far too low price.

I'm pretty sure the only thing ANET has done is set a ceeling on the amount you can sell gems for which, in an MMO, is needed. GW didn't have a ceeling on prices on any items during launch, which lead to a lot of market manipulation (since nothing is truly finite in an MMO) and massive inflation (again because nothing is finite in an MMO). 

Unless they changed the system very recently, the seller/buyer cannot put bids at prices of their own choice, they can merely buy/sell for whatever price the system is showing at the moment. Supposidly, the demand/supply affects the rates, but it will take time before those rates reach an equilibrium, much slower than it would in a truly free market. This is a major disadvantage for any person intending to sell gems for gold legally early on. 

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    I will spend on GW2 15 to 20 bucks a month. That is my budget for cash shop lol. Yeah i am cheap.

Bite Me

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Yet there's plenty of players who have played and haven't spent a single dollar.

If you can't afford the 20 dollars, I'd suggest you should probably look into some sort of counseling for poor impulse control. :)

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488
    Thanks for putting gems into the economy OP.
  • travamarstravamars Member CommonPosts: 417

No sympathy here.

That same thing could be said for every F2P game out that got a bad rap for its cash shop. But since its GW2 then its perfectly fine. I guess from now on we'll all say that F2P cash shops are the way to go.