Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

F2P FTW - Already Spent 2 Months Subscription

Comments

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by redman875

Oh...this game just launched...cash shops are ALWAYS fair reasonable and balanced early on, its only later that they slowly slip in p2w items.  Remember games are a business, and a business is set to make as much money as possible.  They have the ability to really sell anything since the community accepts its an item mall game (with a p2p AAA box sale every expansion as well)

Think you haven't looked at GW(1) cash shop then. Though that game is already 7 years old, the CS is still a reasonable one with no game-breaking items or items that even removely can be called P2W...

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by MARTYB2K
    A couple of days in and i've already paid more than i would on 2 months subscription to other MMOs. F2P is definetly the way forward. I bought 1600 GEMS.Used 600 for a extra Bank Slot and changed 800 into 2.5 Gold.

That was a choice you made. Did you feel at all pressured or funneled into it like it had to be done, or did you just want to?

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

The FACT is ..you don't have to spend a penny at all if you don't have it or just don't want to.

For causul players and peeps on a budget...this is great, and parent gamers who's kids are ready to play game's with mom or dad this is great. Also for single moms, dads, nanas...whomever..they will pay for a game with "no credit card required" for gift, over "must have active CC" anyday.

just my 2 cents

• Originally posted by Ethos86

I have spend 50 euro in the shop. Because I wanted, not because I needed.

I still have plenty of gems left but here's what I think:

- the keys to open the chests are too expensive, in the end most chests only had some transformation tonics in it and maybe some kind of buff/boost for a short amount of time

- i do love the bag space unlocks with gems and the bank account storrage, i would have enough space without it (with crafted bags that can contain more items) but it's just handy (especially for cooking profession)

- i transfered a little bit of gems into gold (few silver coins) because i wanted to go crafting and needed to buy more mats from the NPC and i didn't felt like waiting untill i collected enough gold

- i think i might come to the point of spending gem's on mini pets since i like to collect everything (if the pets aren't unlockable in other ways... i don't know)

- i might spend gems on armor skins too (later), but i think i will mainly use them for town clothes

I looked under the expansion section of the gem store for bank account storage but all I saw was inventory expansion and extra character slots.  Where do I find the bank expansion?

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Reizla
    Originally posted by redman875 Oh...this game just launched...cash shops are ALWAYS fair reasonable and balanced early on, its only later that they slowly slip in p2w items.  Remember games are a business, and a business is set to make as much money as possible.  They have the ability to really sell anything since the community accepts its an item mall game (with a p2p AAA box sale every expansion as well)
    Think you haven't looked at GW(1) cash shop then. Though that game is already 7 years old, the CS is still a reasonable one with no game-breaking items or items that even removely can be called P2W...

Not really relevant...Guild wars 2 has launched in an age where profit is king, and greed destroys games.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

A couple of days in and i've already paid more than i would on 2 months subscription to other MMOs. F2P is definetly the way forward. I bought 1600 GEMS.

Used 600 for a extra Bank Slot and changed 800 into 2.5 Gold.

Why would you change any into gold yet?  The prices are not even good yet.  It favors gem buyers, give it a few weeks before you start selling gems for the price to go up.  2.5 gold for 800 gems is chump change and not worth it at all.

Also you paid $20 for 1600 Gems how is that 2 month subscription? Most Monthy Subscriptions are $14.95.  

I bought 1600 gems as well.  600 for extra bank slot and 2 5 pack of keys.  The rest I will be saving until the price per gem goes up.

Sooner or Later

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

/shrug

I haven't bought any gems nor do I see a reason to unless I feel like splurging for the hell of it. Bit ridiculous how many mystic chests I have though. Have to say that is the one thing about this system that pisses me off. Thank god they stack.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

A couple of days in and i've already paid more than i would on 2 months subscription to other MMOs. F2P is definetly the way forward. I bought 1600 GEMS.

Used 600 for a extra Bank Slot and changed 800 into 2.5 Gold.

Nobody forced you, you know? :) I spent 60 euro on the game and nothing above that price. Feeling fine.

As much as I dislike cash shops, this complaint is just silly.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• saranyasaranya Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by redman875 Oh...this game just launched...cash shops are ALWAYS fair reasonable and balanced early on, its only later that they slowly slip in p2w items.  Remember games are a business, and a business is set to make as much money as possible.  They have the ability to really sell anything since the community accepts its an item mall game (with a p2p AAA box sale every expansion as well)

Not really relevant...Guild wars 2 has launched in an age where profit is king, and greed destroys games.

so if you had a business, you would not concern yourself with making a profit?  or operate at a loss or breakeven to make customers happy or out of the goodness of your heart?

btw, without profit, there is no reinvestment into new products.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Seems like there is superficial locks. How many character slots do you get at the start in gw2 4? 5? then you can additional slots right?

In a pay to play mmorpg ALL those slots are open straight away within the monthly fee, coupled with other things like bag space complexly "unlocked"

Extremely misleading, if not completely false. If anything, the more accurate statement is that in most MMOs you have a finite amount of character and bag slots and F2P allows you to buy more. Keep repeating the same thing over and over again, though. Eventually you might actually believe that silly talking point yourself. Cheers!

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Ethos86Ethos86 Member Posts: 124
    Originally posted by Sixpax
    Originally posted by Ethos86

- the keys to open the chests are too expensive, in the end most chests only had some transformation tonics in it and maybe some kind of buff/boost for a short amount of time

- i do love the bag space unlocks with gems and the bank account storrage, i would have enough space without it (with crafted bags that can contain more items) but it's just handy (especially for cooking profession)

- i transfered a little bit of gems into gold (few silver coins) because i wanted to go crafting and needed to buy more mats from the NPC and i didn't felt like waiting untill i collected enough gold

- i think i might come to the point of spending gem's on mini pets since i like to collect everything (if the pets aren't unlockable in other ways... i don't know)

- i might spend gems on armor skins too (later), but i think i will mainly use them for town clothes

I looked under the expansion section of the gem store for bank account storage but all I saw was inventory expansion and extra character slots.  Where do I find the bank expansion?

Whell, you find it in the bank itself. There was some button on the right top of where i could see what was in my account storrage (bank). I could there double that storrage for 600 gems i think.

Same with the inventory expansion, i didn't buy it in the store. If you click the lock icon after pressing "I" to open up inventory then you can unlock those for 400 gems directly.

I hope you are able to find it now.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

lol.   No, it was launched in a era where people cherry-pick facts and present them inappropriately to make up false arguments on the Internet.   Which is not that different from pre-Internet days, except there is much more of a global impact for false arguments than in the past.

• Originally posted by Ethos86
    Originally posted by Sixpax
    Originally posted by Ethos86

Whell, you find it in the bank itself. There was some button on the right top of where i could see what was in my account storrage (bank). I could there double that storrage for 600 gems i think.

Same with the inventory expansion, i didn't buy it in the store. If you click the lock icon after pressing "I" to open up inventory then you can unlock those for 400 gems directly.

I hope you are able to find it now.

Thanks!  I'll try that.

Originally posted by saranya
    Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by Reizla Originally posted by redman875 Oh...this game just launched...cash shops are ALWAYS fair reasonable and balanced early on, its only later that they slowly slip in p2w items.  Remember games are a business, and a business is set to make as much money as possible.  They have the ability to really sell anything since the community accepts its an item mall game (with a p2p AAA box sale every expansion as well)
    so if you had a business, you would not concern yourself with making a profit?  or operate at a loss or breakeven to make customers happy or out of the goodness of your heart?

btw, without profit, there is no reinvestment into new products.

Go look at my second comment on the page.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Originally posted by Nitth Seems like there is superficial locks. How many character slots do you get at the start in gw2 4? 5? then you can additional slots right? In a pay to play mmorpg ALL those slots are open straight away within the monthly fee, coupled with other things like bag space complexly "unlocked"
    Extremely misleading, if not completely false. If anything, the more accurate statement is that in most MMOs you have a finite amount of character and bag slots and F2P allows you to buy more. Keep repeating the same thing over and over again, though. Eventually you might actually believe that silly talking point yourself. Cheers!

I'm sorry i don't see how this is misleading. In most f2p mmorpgs character slots are restricted and unlocked for cash, Same goes for bag space.

If you think that is false, Please provide facts to the contrary.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    The way a F2p game works is they get you hooked on using the cash shop. If you are not using the cash shop, they analyze your game play data to see how they can get you to use the cash shop. This is how games become P2w. Welcome to Guildcrack.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Actually,  I'm really wondering if the real secret behind F2P games in general (not neccesarly GW2 specificaly) is that they are setup for short-term play and high churn.

Subscription gives you access to everything in the game up front. However, you keep paying the same $15 per month each month you play. The way they make thier money off the player is by keeping them retained for the long term.

F2P gives you limited access for free up front (or in this case with the purchase of the game, B2P) but makes the players pay to unlock the things they want (character slots, inventory, bank, areas, races, items, etc).  However with the exception of consumables once the player pays for something, they don't need to pay for it again. From a financial standpoint once a player has bought what he wants to buy the publisher doesn't care if he hangs around and uses it, there's no financial incentive in that for them....actualy the reverse as that user costs something to maintain on the servers. Unless they can find something new to sell the player (obsolece the old items or make him require more of them) he's of no use to them financialy.

I'm wondering if the F2P model hinges on the idea that most players won't want to hang around and play the game for very long. They'll want to buy all the shinies and sparklies and things that make play easier up front... but once they've played for a little while they'll move on to something else (or wait for the next big expansion)...... so get them in quickly, get them to spend up front....and don't worry about retaining them in the long term. That's how the model seems setup to maximize revenue from the player anyway.

Originally posted by GrumpyMel2

Actually,  I'm really wondering if the real secret behind F2P games in general (not neccesarly GW2 specificaly) is that they are setup for short-term play and high churn.

Subscription gives you access to everything in the game up front. However, you keep paying the same $15 per month each month you play. The way they make thier money off the player is by keeping them retained for the long term.

F2P gives you limited access for free up front (or in this case with the purchase of the game, B2P) but makes the players pay to unlock the things they want (character slots, inventory, bank, areas, races, items, etc).  However with the exception of consumables once the player pays for something, they don't need to pay for it again. From a financial standpoint once a player has bought what he wants to buy the publisher doesn't care if he hangs around and uses it, there's no financial incentive in that for them....actualy the reverse as that user costs something to maintain on the servers. Unless they can find something new to sell the player (obsolece the old items or make him require more of them) he's of no use to them financialy.

I'm wondering if the F2P model hinges on the idea that most players won't want to hang around and play the game for very long. They'll want to buy all the shinies and sparklies and things that make play easier up front... but once they've played for a little while they'll move on to something else (or wait for the next big expansion)...... so get them in quickly, get them to spend up front....and don't worry about retaining them in the long term. That's how the model seems setup to maximize revenue from the player anyway.

Really? Always seemed the opposite to me. The f2p gamers I ran across have put an insane amount of time into their game of choice. Some grinding as much as they can to try and get what they want without spending a dime. Others so invested in the money they put into their toon they find it hard to leave or if they do they always end back eventually.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by botrytis

You didn't need to spend it - you could have just used what is given to you. This is the key - it is all OPTIONAL. Your spending that much money is all on you.

All you had to do is buy the game and play it.

No sympathy here.

He DID need to spend it for more bag slots. It isn't optional when you're literally so overburdoned with gear & you have no room for it.

They've intentionally put stopgaps in GW2 to almost force you into buying gems.

I'm saddened you cannot see that :|.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

You didn't need to spend it - you could have just used what is given to you. This is the key - it is all OPTIONAL. Your spending that much money is all on you.

No sympathy here.

He DID need to spend it for more bag slots. It isn't optional when you're literally so overburdoned with gear & you have no room for it.

Yeah...not sure what you're going on about. I seem to be doing just fine without purchasing anything from the store.

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Originally posted by Nitth Seems like there is superficial locks. How many character slots do you get at the start in gw2 4? 5? then you can additional slots right? In a pay to play mmorpg ALL those slots are open straight away within the monthly fee, coupled with other things like bag space complexly "unlocked"

I'm sorry i don't see how this is misleading. In most f2p mmorpgs character slots are restricted and unlocked for cash, Same goes for bag space.

If you think that is false, Please provide facts to the contrary.

The point oh clueless one is that it isn't "free" in a P2P game. You spend $15/month for your character slots and any game access while in GW2 the person bought the game, paid $10, and has access to that character for the life of the game whether or not he spends any more money at all.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Fun to see ppl buy gems to make gold in-game. I am saving in-game money to get gems ;-)

From what I remember of GW1, gold was never any issue (=money raining from the sky).

But I suppose cash shops are always there, for their intended purpose.  No denying that Convenience has Value in our society. "Do I pay a dollar more for this 6-pack at my local Kwickeemart, or do I drive the extra time/distance for cheaper groceries?"

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• VoltharVolthar Member CommonPosts: 4

The only part of the cash shop that really annoys me so far are the bank slots. They give you a miniscule bank to share among all your characters and then offer to max it out for $50? That just strikesme as a blantant cash grab  and doesn't bode well for the future of the cash shop imo.

If I wanted to max out my bank, buy bag slots and  the extra character slots, I could probably pay for WOW or SWTOR for a year. Call me old fashioned but I still prefer to pay a monthly fee and get the whole game. 

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

No sympathy here.

just sell your stuff bro

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I've already bought an extra bag slot and extra bank slot using ingame silver. That's 1000 gems I have bought with about 3 gold.

Works for me.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.