Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WOW Changed MMOs & GW2 Will Change MMOs

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Xerenix
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by saranya

Also, GW2 has some great concepts and features but I don't think any of it is genre defining for mmo's like wow did.

For instance, I'm not sure if i like the lvl scaling.  What's the point in getting to 80 and not being able to go back to the Queensdale to obliterate a group of MOA who picked on you when you were lvl 1?

One other thing off the top of my head that other companies will probably nab from GW2 is shared resource nodes.  It's an amazing idea that someone should have thought of long ago.

If i'm not mistaken, FFXIV already have shared resource nodes so someone already have thought of it.

Not necessarily.  As proven by a previous argument about how Rift, Warhammer and GW2 all came to the "dynamic events" concept on their own, there's probably no way of knowing who thought of it first.  GW2 has been in development for a long time.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Originally posted by QuicklyScott
    Sorry, but the hype alone from Titan will crush everything to do with GW2.  Blizzard will still be top dog for forseeable future.  You need to realise that you're talking as someone who has just started playing a game you enjoy, of course it's the best thing ever to you, give it a month or two, then this sort of point of view will have more merit.

Ye like blizzard is making good stuff after WoW and TBC right ? i mean WoTLK / Cataclysm / MoP / Diablo 3 are all 10/10 games amiright.

You still think blizzard making good games kid ?

Sorry but the golden age of blizzard is over, they make more shit then any other company now.

Titan may or may not be good, but after all recent blizzard releases i can only laugh at all those failures they created.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by MARTYB2K

Seriously, this is the first MMO since WOW launched over 7 years ago which will get really big. Here is why:

Very good game that's polished.

Very little technical problems.

Lots of good features from the start.

I predict over 5 million people will be playing soon. ArenaNET is onto a winner. Also it will effect the design of just about every MMO to come out in the coming years.

I like it how players predict where the game is going. Last time I did that at the racetrack, I lost.

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    I remember hearing words very similar to this last December when a certain over hyped game launched.....
  • dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Please enlighten us: which of GW2's features will change MMOs?
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by P4YB4CK
    Originally posted by MARTYB2K Seriously, this is the first MMO since WOW launched over 7 years ago which will get really big. Here is why: Very good game that's polished. Very little technical problems. Lots of good features from the start. I predict over 5 million people will be playing soon. ArenaNET is onto a winner. Also it will effect the design of just about every MMO to come out in the coming years.
    I like it how players predict where the game is going. Last time I did that at the racetrack, I lost.

It's true, what you say.

So, I'm not going to worry about GW2 in 3 months. I'm just playing it today...tomorrow...The next day.... etc

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by dynamicipftw

More centaurs.

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by coretex666
    Originally posted by ShimpoGenmu
    Originally posted by Deathenger
    I'm sure Blizzard is already looking for ways to implement some of the things that ANet has done in GW2.

like they do almost with every new mmo and not only 

EQ check

Pokemon check

jack black-dreamworks-kung fu panda check

rift check

aion check

etc etc

Make sure that what you are posting is true before actually posting it

He doesn't have to make sure anything is true. This isn't a news site. It's a mmorpg forum that is filled with opinions. Most of which have no basis on anything factual besides one persons personal taste. You want hard facts I think you need to be looking elsewhere.

I would also like to point out that the sky is indeed purple.....

• JohabohaJohaboha Member Posts: 20
    This game has 0 features that are 100% original, everything in  this game has been done before.  perhaps some of these features were not as polished in other games, but none the less the foundation was laid well before GW2 announcement.   How can a game that is just a shiny, updated version of the past mmo features out there, change MMOs?
  • muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    Originally posted by Johaboha
    This game has 0 features that are 100% original, everything in  this game has been done before.  perhaps some of these features were not as polished in other games, but none the less the foundation was laid well before GW2 announcement.   How can a game that is just a shiny, updated version of the past mmo features out there, change MMOs?

Well, WoW had ZERO original features (or content...) and some people claim it changed MMOs (and their life), so.. what's your point again?

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Originally posted by QuicklyScott
    Sorry, but the hype alone from Titan will crush everything to do with GW2.  Blizzard will still be top dog for forseeable future.  You need to realise that you're talking as someone who has just started playing a game you enjoy, of course it's the best thing ever to you, give it a month or two, then this sort of point of view will have more merit.

Ye like blizzard is making good stuff after WoW and TBC right ? i mean WoTLK / Cataclysm / MoP / Diablo 3 are all 10/10 games amiright.

You still think blizzard making good games kid ?

Sorry but the golden age of blizzard is over, they make more shit then any other company now.

Titan may or may not be good, but after all recent blizzard releases i can only laugh at all those failures they created.

"good" is subjective.... kid.  Your opinion on whether Blizzard's golden age is over is meaningless because numbers talk..  A game that is almost 8 years old still has 9-10 million active players, it's generating $40 every second, the last expansion sold millions of copies, Diablo had record braking sells, their new expansion will also sell millions... 

But no, they're failures because you said they are... their games are crap... despite all the billions they make.image

At this point, Titan doesn't need to be "good" to out sell anything.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Johaboha

It is all in one nice package, polished and does what everyone else does a little better.  You know what other game did that ?  WoW. 

• GalthramGalthram Member Posts: 6

All that I know is: I'm having a ton of fun in GW2 and I know for a fact that I haven't even scractched the game. So yeah, that's all that matters to me.

The game also has a lot more depth than many players realise. You gotta keep in mind that the lower levels are really simple so they can draw new players in. They're not targeting the existing MMO crowd but trying to bring players from other genres to it, just like WoW did back then and it's the sole reason for it's success.

If anyone doubt about it's depth go check the Wiki for attribute mechanics, conditions, boons and dungeons. Stuff that are really irrelevant early game but will have a huge impact on your build in late game.

GW2 also is a more laid back casual experience, it wasn't built to kill your social life and force you to give-up sleeping hours doing dungeons so you can progress. You can still do it, but it wans't designed with that in mind. GW2 devs are thinking outside the MMO market box, just like the guys from Riot Games did when designing League of Legends, and look where they are now: Most played online game in the world.

Sure, this can backfire, but at least they ARE trying to do something different.

Now, talking about Titan. Do you guys really think it'll be anything like WoW? It'll probably be even more casual than GW2, even more focused on bringing new customers to the genre. And even the Blizzard quality I could put in check like many others did, I won't even mention SC2 or WoW expansions, just look of what was done with Diablo 3. Also let me remind you guys that the Real Money Auction House is nothing but a huge test to perfect it to Titan.

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

GW2 is just wow with more focus on pvp....and no focus on gear..

I mean GW2 will change mmorpgs as much as warhammer online did...since they are basically the same game at heart.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by redman875

I mean GW2 will change mmorpgs as much as warhammer online did...since they are basically the same game at heart.

It amazes me the things people will say when they have no idea what they're talking about.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    I don't understand, are all the 'haters' blizz fanbois or there are more varities?
  • GalthramGalthram Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Volkon

It amazes me the things people will say when they have no idea what they're talking about.

The thing is that people have absolutely no patience nowadays. They play an MMO just a couple of hours and think they saw everything about it.

When WoW launched if he took the same aproach to judge it he would be saying: WoW is just like Everquest 2, with more focus on Orcs and no focus on Elves. At least not the blonde ones.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by dynamicipftw

More centaurs.

It's pretty cool how you can roll forward to avoid their charge, but then they pull a bizarre "side-slide 180" and come charging back at ya.  You can kinda see it on this video around 2:20 on the furthest right centaur, though there's a stupid tooltip in the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSu_gCQVOH4

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

Seriously, this is the first MMO since WOW launched over 7 years ago which will get really big. Here is why:

I predict over 5 million people will be playing soon. ArenaNET is onto a winner. Also it will effect the design of just about every MMO to come out in the coming years.

5 million (or more) will likely buy it, but will they be still playing it to any great extent 6 months down the road. 

That is the real quesiton now isn't it?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

Yeah thats why its fun posting in forums like this during the blind hype phase of a major wow-park.  

People refuse to accept the reality that theyve been sold yet another wow-park.  No matter how much these people clammor for a game not like wow they just cant resist the hype and buy in...happens over and over and over.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Yeah thats why its fun posting in forums like this during the blind hype phase of a major wow-park.  

People refuse to accept the reality that theyve been sold yet another wow-park.  No matter how much these people clammor for a game not like wow they just cant resist the hype and buy in...happens over and over and over.

That's an interesting take, considering personal experience in the game so far indicates to me that you're basically full of crap. The PvE content so far is extensive, and I've just entered my third zone. The sad part is that even though I've completed two maps I know there's a lot of stuff I haven't seen in those maps. However I get so carried away by what the world throws at me that I forget, for example, to search for jumping puzzles or the like. So far, GW2 is showing itself to be the anti-WoW, which demonstrates that your statements are made purely in bloviation and not based on experience or anything resembling fact.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Mephster
    GW2 is a theme park, it is built for the short tem. It won't change a thing. It will never ever have the impact WoW has.

AHH - WoW is a themepark also. GW1 has been in exsistance as long as WoW so what does that say about your opinion - it means nothing really.

WoW was once a big dog. It has not improved in 7 years and therefore is an also ran. Titan, as one person said, is just rumors and innuendo currently, so I see it not affecting anything. It seems Blizzard is resting on it's name, not innovating (see Diablo 3) which is just more of the same. The MMO crowd is looking for different options and GW2 gives that in spades.

Do not sell this game short.

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787
    Originally posted by Kyleran

5 million (or more) will likely buy it, but will they be still playing it to any great extent 6 months down the road. 

Not really.

The question posed by GW2 is whether it should matter if you have millions playing your game for months on end as long as you can sell millions of keys for the launch and for the expansion packs, and have enough of a population (not millions) to provide some incremental cash shop revenues.  In other words, it's challenging the fundamental assumptions of the MMO business model to date, which is that in order to succeed a game needs a robust population for months and years on end to keep paying subscription fees.  GW2 isn't based around that, so it's not really apt to judge it by the same metrics.  It's business metric is mostly key/box sales, and by that metric it has likely executed against its business model with a wild degree of success.

I think the question of the "impact on the MMO market" remains to be seen.  MMOs have long been the "El Dorado" of the gaming industry because they hold out the prospect of a degree of cash revenue smoothing that isn't generally available by the box-sales driven stream provided by the rest of the B2P games (SP and otherwise).  So GW2's model, if it changes the market perception in terms of what an acceptable business model is for MMOs, will make MMOs less interesting for many companies, because they will realise that (1) most of them aren't going to sell 5m+ boxes/keys (they know that well enough from the box sales experience they have outside the MMO space) and (2) if it's not offering the prospect of an ongoing cash revenue stream, it's not really "filling the role" in their product portfolio than an MMO typically does, and instead behaves more like a SP game does from the revenue perspective (especially now that SP games have DLCs in them now that function akin to cash shops).  

So, I think GW2 is really an enigma.  If it does move the MMO space away from P2P towards a B2P model, this will also make MMOs less of an El Dorado for publishers/developers than they have been seen since 2004.  At the same time, it could create a good deal of pressure to veer away from the P2P model, given that even with most P2P MMOs, most people only play them for a few months anyway, regardless of small content updates that come along periodically and are ostensibly funded by subscription fees -- just the nature of the competitive market today in gaming and the fact that people play a lot of non-MMO games as well.

• Originally posted by redman875

So basically what you're saying is you did resist the hype and didn't "buy in", meaning you didn't even play the game... yet somehow you know it's a wow-park.  How's that work exactly?

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by Kyleran

That's a tough call.  A scripted event is a far cry better than quest text; I don't think any sane person would deny that.  But at the end of the day they're still scripted events.  And even when the script branches are based on player actions, sooner or later, you'll have seen it all.

I suspect it will ultimately depend on the frequency and quality of Xpacs.  I'm optomistic, as it seems to me that the game's capabilities are almost endless.  No matter what, Anet should be very proud of this game.