Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Think I just got hacked >.>

vaeiouvaeiou Member Posts: 39

Found this in my email just then from [email protected]:

"Someone -hopefully you!- has requested to change the email address associated with your Guild Wars account.

Need help or have questions about your Guild Wars account? Visit our support site: http://support.guildwars2.com/.

Thanks!

-The ArenaNet Team"

Except I didn't request for an email change.  Now I can't log into my account.  I've already left ANet a ticket/question.  Hopefully I can get my account back in one piece :-(

EDIT:  A lot of people are telling me not to click on the link in fear of keyloggers and stuff.  I DID NOT CLICK ON THE LINK AND ENTER MY INFORMATION.  I entered my account information into the GW2 CLIENT and received an error that my account name doesn't exist.  Besides, the link is legit, and so is the ArenaNet email.  So, please stop telling me not to click the link, to login to my account, or to change my password since I can't even get into my account.

EDIT 2:  Sent one ticket to ArenaNet, and one to NCSoft.  Any bets to see who responds first?

League of Legends | Guild Wars 2
Follow me at:
mostlygamingblog
Twitter

Comments

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

That would also mean that your Email account is compromised tho.

I got the same mail yesterday but since you would need to click the link to accept the PW change i think i am fine.

At least i was ablt to log in and did not expierience any problems with the account. 

• vaeiouvaeiou Member Posts: 39
    Gosh...  This is a nightmare :-(

Follow me at:
    mostlygamingblog
    Twitter

• ArcheangelArcheangel Member UncommonPosts: 49
    I got the same email yesterday. I checked both my gw1 and gw2 accounts and found no breach. I changed my passwords to be safe (not using that link) i don't think you need to worry like DoomedFox said your email account would have needed to have been hacked as well.
  • DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by vaeiou

"Someone -hopefully you!- has requested to change the email address associated with your Guild Wars account.

Need help or have questions about your Guild Wars account? Visit our support site: http://support.guildwars2.com/.

Thanks!

-The ArenaNet Team"

Except I didn't request for an email change.  Now I can't log into my account.  I've already left ANet a ticket/question.  Hopefully I can get my account back in one piece :-(

Did you click on any link in the email and put in your account details.?

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880

How is that exactly?

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576
    I got the same last week. I checked if my password had been changed, it had not, so I deleted the email.

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

Originally posted by Deathenger

How is that exactly?

Because my account has been compromised?

Follow me at:
    mostlygamingblog
    Twitter

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Originally posted by Deathenger

How is that exactly?

Because my account has been compromised?

Gah my bad, I completly missed that you were the OP

• ArcheangelArcheangel Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Your account has not been compromised vae. All they were able to do was put your email in the "forgot my password" thing, which sent you a link. They don't have access to your email most likely so you're pretty safe.
  • I received a similar email stating someone had requested a password change on my GW2 account.  The funny thing is I also got the same sent to the email address for my GW1 account (which is different from my GW2 email address), but it stated it was for a GW2 password change... there is no GW2 account associated with that email address. lol

Someone's phishing.

The thing is, when I enter my password for my GW2 account in attempts to login, I receive this message:

The email address you entered was not found.

If you have an active game account, please try again.

If you're still having trouble, please contact Customer Support.

So I think my account username / email has been changed...?

Follow me at:
    mostlygamingblog
    Twitter

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488
    You weren't hacked, if it isn't a phishing mail someone tried to reset your password, but didn't.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,984

Beware phishing scams.  That first email you received could well have been from a phisher and you just gave them your login by entering all the info.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ResetgunResetgun Member Posts: 471
    Anyway - you should make sure that you don't use same password in different sites. Forums and like are easy targets for hackers - and they might get your password from there if you are using same password.

"I know I said this was my last post, but you my friend are a idiotic moron." -Shadow4482

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

The thing is, when I enter my password for my GW2 account in attempts to login, I receive this message:

Well you just got hacked then. If you entered all your stuff they got your valid email and password now.   Folks you should never click on links even if it looks valid.

Go log in through the game site not a clicked link, all they got to do at is put in what looks like a valid link and send you to their site and then they got your account.

Now if your log gin in at gw site and getting that, then this tells me they got a lot of issues a anet.

Originally posted by erictlewis

Well you just got hacked then. If you entered all your stuff they got your valid email and password now.   Folks you should never click on links even if it looks valid.

Go log in through the game site not a clicked link, all they got to do at is put in what looks like a valid link and send you to their site and then they got your account.

Now if your log gin in at gw site and getting that, then this tells me they got a lot of issues a anet.

I didn't click on any link.  I entered my information into the GW2 client.  Besides, the link was legit.

Follow me at:
    mostlygamingblog
    Twitter

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531
     Nothing surprising there , it's what we call the "NCSoft Effect" , it's a well known phenomena.
  • niessisniessis Member UncommonPosts: 4
    I've received the same email and i dont even own GW2 or GW1 account . It's just a phishing scam..
  • majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Sorry to hear that. Still: I play MMORPGs since maybe 15 years. I never got hacked. In 99% of all cases, people get hacked because they don't care about account security, or simply lack the knowledge about how to keep their account secure.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Thanks!

-The ArenaNet Team"

I got that as well.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• bobn24bobn24 Member UncommonPosts: 8
    If you linked your Guild Wars accounts try using your GW2 account info to log into GW.  A friend had the same problem and that is what he found out.
  • TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    I got one aswell few days back, I deleted it right away I knew it was a fishing atempt.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    I recieve emails like that from "Blizzard" all the time. I have never owned a product by them yet somehow ive changed my password, got excepted into betas, and other coolness.

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by erictlewis

I didn't click on any link.  I entered my information into the GW2 client.  Besides, the link was legit.

If you didnt click on any links in the email then you either have a keylogger on you pc or you are using the same details as a fansite you have registered with and thats how they got your information.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

FYI emails cannot "embed" fake links. They have to contain REAL links, and the one you provided goes to the official GW2 site (ip lookup confirmed).

I got that same email, and it was a hacker using one of those huge customer hacked lists with my email on it to hopefully snag my account. The fool didn't realize I'd changed my passwords 3 times in the past 5months :)!

Either way, you should call GW2 support rather than do the ticket stuff. I've had a ticket in for 6days now to retrieve my GW1 account but they're swamped as hell with GW2 stuff.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

This discussion has been closed.