Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good...until combat. Dumbed down so much.

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by evolver1972

Originally posted by Nitth  

Originally posted by heartless

Originally posted by TheScavenger

Originally posted by heartless OP, what is the highest level character you have?
    I got to level 10, before realizing I didn't like the combat at all. Usually I know if I like combat or the game within 10 levels of a MMO.   Like in WoW, I loved the combat right off the bat. Got pets right in the beginning as a hunter and warlock. Paladin smashed everything in its path right at level 1. Warrior rushed enemiees. And it only became better when there was so many abilities just at level 10. Like as a warrior at level 10, I had so many abilities to choose from.   Or a better example (because its newer). At level 1 as a Jedi Consular in SWTOR...I had so many amazing abilities (comparitevly), and just after the first area...I had so much strategy in the combat. There wasn't just pressing one key over and over.   Not to say GW2 is bad and I don't like it. Just combat isn't its strong suit. Guild Wars (the first one) was a lot better, even if it wasn't filled with many hotbars of abilities.
    In other words you're basing your opinion on combat during the tutorial phase.
      Yeah, could not see you setting that argument up a mile away. btw. Your out of the "tutorial phase by lvl 2. rest is the GAME.
    Are you really going to try to argue that the level 1-15 areas - IOW the starter areas - are really "the GAME"? .
      After your first inital boss fight and the leaving of that area Yes. I would also like to point out that 2 of the major arguemnts thrown around "here" are. 1. End game start at lvl 1 2. Levels don't mean much.
    1.  Sure it does, you still have to learn how to play it.

2.  Levels don't mean much when compared to other players, or when going back to an area lower level than you.  But even your argument allows that they mean something.  That something is to give you time to learn the ins and outs of the game before the shit hits the fan.

And the first (and core) part of my argument?

I'm sorry mate, But nothing fundamentally changes with the combat throughout the game.
    Attacking someone because "there only level 10" is a weak argument, they will be going though the same basic combat motions their entire game career.

Push buttons
    Avoid Damage
    Release aggro

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• dbgagerdbgager Member UncommonPosts: 175
    YOur seriously not very good at the game if you only use 1 button. I am only a  level 8 Ranger , and I already have a shot for target at long range..a shot for targets at close range. a barrage AOE attack for attacking multiple targets..a heal..and  a skill that makes my pet more lethal. I bet I always kill a mob long before your done..with your button spamming.
  • heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by heartless OP, what is the highest level character you have?
    I got to level 10, before realizing I didn't like the combat at all. Usually I know if I like combat or the game within 10 levels of a MMO.   Like in WoW, I loved the combat right off the bat. Got pets right in the beginning as a hunter and warlock. Paladin smashed everything in its path right at level 1. Warrior rushed enemiees. And it only became better when there was so many abilities just at level 10. Like as a warrior at level 10, I had so many abilities to choose from.   Or a better example (because its newer). At level 1 as a Jedi Consular in SWTOR...I had so many amazing abilities (comparitevly), and just after the first area...I had so much strategy in the combat. There wasn't just pressing one key over and over.   Not to say GW2 is bad and I don't like it. Just combat isn't its strong suit. Guild Wars (the first one) was a lot better, even if it wasn't filled with many hotbars of abilities.

Yeah, could not see you setting that argument up a mile away.

btw. Your out of the "tutorial phase by lvl 2. rest is the GAME.

No, the first zone is actually a tutorial zone. It's used to introduce you to how the game functions. The mobs in the first zone are incredibly easy and can be killed with autoattack. Once you get closer to the end of the zone, that's when things get interesting. And good luck trying to kill things with autoattack when you're level 20+.

Nice try though.

• dbgagerdbgager Member UncommonPosts: 175

Yeah, could not see you setting that argument up a mile away. btw. Your out of the "tutorial phase by lvl 2. rest is the GAME.
    Are you really going to try to argue that the level 1-15 areas - IOW the starter areas - are really "the GAME"? .
      After your first inital boss fight and the leaving of that area Yes. I would also like to point out that 2 of the major arguemnts thrown around "here" are. 1. End game start at lvl 1 2. Levels don't mean much.

2.  Levels don't mean much when compared to other players, or when going back to an area lower level than you.  But even your argument allows that they mean something.  That something is to give you time to learn the ins and outs of the game before the shit hits the fan.

I'm sorry mate, But nothing fundamentally changes with the combat throughout the game.
    Attacking someone because "there only level 10" is a weak argument, they will be going though the same basic combat motions their entire game career.

Push buttons
    Avoid Damage
    Release aggro

isn't that the idea of all MMOs...and how they all basically work.

Push buttons
    Avoid Damage
    Release aggro

The encounters become progressively more difficult in higher level zones, requiring a more intimate knowledge of your class and various game mechanics. I thought that it would be pretty obvious?

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    You'd have to be really, really shitty at playing this game if you think it's just about spamming all your abilities. I mean, just by saying that you show just how fucking awful you are at playing video games. You aren't really even slighting the game in any way, you are just expressing how terrible you are for everyone on the forums to see.

Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by evolver1972 Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by evolver1972 Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by heartless Originally posted by TheScavenger Originally posted by heartless OP, what is the highest level character you have?
    1.  Sure it does, you still have to learn how to play it.   2.  Levels don't mean much when compared to other players, or when going back to an area lower level than you.  But even your argument allows that they mean something.  That something is to give you time to learn the ins and outs of the game before the shit hits the fan.
      And the first (and core) part of my argument? I'm sorry mate, But nothing fundamentally changes with the combat throughout the game. Attacking someone because "there only level 10" is a weak argument, they will be going though the same basic combat motions their entire game career. Push buttons Avoid Damage Release aggro
    The encounters become progressively more difficult in higher level zones, requiring a more intimate knowledge of your class and various game mechanics. I thought that it would be pretty obvious?

Are you disagreeing that if someone 'mitigated damage properly' they could win any encounter by bashing the 1 button?

Pretty simple logic:

While Health not 0
    {
    alive.
    }

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by heartless Originally posted by TheScavenger Originally posted by heartless OP, what is the highest level character you have?
    No, the first zone is actually a tutorial zone. It's used to introduce you to how the game functions. The mobs in the first zone are incredibly easy and can be killed with autoattack. Once you get closer to the end of the zone, that's when things get interesting. And good luck trying to kill things with autoattack when you're level 20+.

Nice try though.

Bullshit. After you leave the real 'tutorial zone' you can move 'freely' about the world and visit other areas.

Pure nonsense the game 'starts at 20'.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    OP either didn't play the game and is just trolling, or he just couldnt understand how to play.  Why does anyone care?

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

1.  Sure it does, you still have to learn how to play it.   2.  Levels don't mean much when compared to other players, or when going back to an area lower level than you.  But even your argument allows that they mean something.  That something is to give you time to learn the ins and outs of the game before the shit hits the fan.
      And the first (and core) part of my argument? I'm sorry mate, But nothing fundamentally changes with the combat throughout the game. Attacking someone because "there only level 10" is a weak argument, they will be going though the same basic combat motions their entire game career. Push buttons Avoid Damage Release aggro

Are you disagreeing that if someone 'mitigated damage properly' they could win any encounter by bashing the 1 button?

Pretty simple logic:

While Health not 0
    {
    alive.
    }

How do you mitigate damage properly in GW2?

Positioning and dodging are a forms of mitigation, As well as consumables and Self healing.

The basic mechanics you are taught and use at lvl 1.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    MMORPGs that want to be successful these days have to be dumbed down. Otherwise they would make the masses they aim at feel stupid, and then they'd run off.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182

Combat feels more dumbed down than it was in DCU.

Why? It isn't because you aren't standing still and using strategic key pressing (which is mentally challenging, and why I like it so much)...but...

Even DCU (DC Universe) had mana and stamina. In GW2...what happened to the stamina and mana bar? You press the one key over and over and over...there is no strategy. It doesn't matter what weapon(s) I have equipped, I just kill everything by pressing one key. On top of that, unlike other MMOs (like DCU) where this is possible...I don't even have to worry about stamina or mana. Which EVERY MMO has. This isn't even a real MMO. There is just no strategy to the combat. It has been dumbed down so much.

Anyone else find they really miss the stamina/mana bar? At least that would add strategy, instead of hitting the one key repeatedly.

Do you know sentence "Easy to learn - hard to master" ? PVE combat is easy as long as you stay around mobs of your lvl. Want something challenging ? Try to kill mobs above your lvl or some "elite mobs". For one I got around 400 or 4000 (don't remember) exp when I solo him. At my lvl I usually get 15 exp +bonus per mob so you understand right ?

How I killed that mob ? I dodge his attacks, I dealt a lot of damage and I used lot of skills that throw enemy of ballance, stun them or push them back. I used dodge when I could and when I saw hard hit comming (they usually charge very strong attacks) and when my dodge was off I used crowd control.

Same with PVP. Combine your weapon with right skills to match your oponent. You have many skills + traits and you can only choose some of them. There is a big difference. I like GW2 combat because I played a lot DCUO and TERA - both with true action oriented combat.

Trick is - game is easy on PVE just like GW2 is for me so I stay in the areas above my current lvl. And in PVP you show your true colors. In TERA I was able to take down players above my lvl. In DCUO people were thinking like you so I ended up defeating people even 12 lvl above me just because I was able to combine healing, crowd control and attacks in right way. In DCUO sometimes I won 2 vs 1 against me.

Trust me - combat is fine. It can be seen by amateurs as something simple but it's not. And lack of stamina/mana is simple - GW2 is oriented around group fighting and not 1vs1. In 1vs1 stamina and mana are important. One must build some resource to attack strong and some go all out and then loose power. In group fighting it would end up with everyone using basic attack or doing some stupid "rotations" while they could use skills according to situation. 

By removing this reasources and add one - stamina for dodge - you can fight for a long period of time and have fun in large scale battles. And in GW2 you only have large scale stuff. Events are not design for 1 people or short duels (except some challenges). Same with World vs World vs World etc.

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Well, i'm not very far into the whole game right now, but i dont think the combat is too dumbed down. It seems easy to learn in pve, but should be hard to master especially in pvp. Looking forward to that.

Hodor!

Positioning and dodging are a forms of mitigation, As well as consumables and Self healing.

The basic mechanics you are taught and use at lvl 1.

Have you played the game? Be honest.

Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by heartless How do you mitigate damage properly in GW2?
      Positioning and dodging are a forms of mitigation, As well as consumables and Self healing. The basic mechanics you are taught and use at lvl 1.

Yes heartless.

Originally posted by heartless How do you mitigate damage properly in GW2?
      Positioning and dodging are a forms of mitigation, As well as consumables and Self healing. The basic mechanics you are taught and use at lvl 1.

Yes heartless.

So which consumables are you talking about then?

Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by heartless Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by heartless How do you mitigate damage properly in GW2?
      Yes heartless.

What ever is obtainable, Crafted for example.

Yes heartless.

Mobs in 20+ zones do a lot of AoE attacks that pack a serious punch. I'm not talking about regular cannon fodder mobs or even veteran mobs, I'm talking about champions and bosses. You know the mobs that actually matter. Your tactic may look good on paper, and would make sense, if your experience with GW2 was limited to the first 10-15 levels but afterwards it rarely works that way. Especially since there are always respawns and adds.

So yea, I'd like for you to try that tactic against the Blood Witch in Kessex or even the Fire Elemental in Metrica Province.

Yes heartless.
    Mobs in 20+ zones do a lot of AoE attacks that pack a serious punch. I'm not talking about regular cannon fodder mobs or even veteran mobs, I'm talking about champions and bosses. You know the mobs that actually matter. Your tactic may look good on paper, and would make sense, if your experience with GW2 was limited to the first 10-15 levels but afterwards it rarely works that way. Especially since there are always respawns and adds.

So yea, I'd like for you to try that tactic against the Blood Witch in Kessex or even the Fire Elemental in Metrica Province.

Don't shift gears and say this wont work for the "harder than average 20+ mobs"

btw, if you tried this in group DE's this can and will work.

-------------

All this aside, I love complex combat systems. - just don't believe that combat drasticly changes from the first 10 hours to 100 hours.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

You press the one key over and over and over...there is no strategy.

Dear OP, I'm sorry to say this but if you think you mastered GW2 combat by pressing one key over and over you should just pick a 1-on-1 fight in any PvP location. You'll see the game isn't nearly as dumbed down as it might seem.

This reminds me... Once I met a girl who played hunter in vanilla WoW. She somehow got to 60 practically using just auto-attack. Me and my friends thought she was hopeless, she would never learn to play. But we were wrong. I saw her again - a year later - and she was PvP rank 13 doing all kinds of tricks and amazing things.

You'll learn too.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by teakbois

The number of people I've revived in the last two days seems to indicate combat isnt as dumbed down as op likes to think it is.

This.

And I have to admit I've been on the ground more than once myself.

Let the OP keep mashing his one button (not even figuring out it can be set to auto-attack) and see how far that will take him :)

Yes heartless.

Don't shift gears and say this wont work for the "harder than average 20+ mobs"

btw, if you tried this in group DE's this can and will work.

I'm not shifting gears. I've been saying this since the very beginning. Combat is more difficult in higher level zones. Mobs, even regular ones, have more health, crowd control and do more damage and very often come in groups. For example, 1 attack from an normal ettin takes away about 1/3 of my thief's HP. They also have a pretty lengthy knockdown as well. Now imagine trying to fight 2 or 3 of them at a time. Either way, champions and bosses would be impossible to kill with what you're suggesting. Even the higher level ones in the 1-15 zones.

As far as what can and will work, I think you actually need to make it to those zones before you can make that determination. If encounters were so easy that a few dodges and self heals was all that was required, no one would be dying and yet, higher level zones = corpses everywere.

• TenjouTenjou Member Posts: 20
    OP create level2 character and go sPvP, so you will get impression about how hard or easy is combat system. Personaly I got overwhelmed by number of abilities and using them accordingly.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by GamerUntouch

10?!

Come on OP.

Get deep into the game, 30+, then you'll realize why people like it.

yeah, every MMO I can tell before level 10 if I like combat or not. WoW gave me tons of stuff before level 10, and TONS of stuff at level 10. Same with SWTOR and a lot of other MMOs.

It isn't the worst combat in a MMO though, it is just really dumbed down. No mana or stamina...the staple of all RPGs is missing. Can't get more dumbed down than that. Even DCU, they made it where it regenned fast...but you still had to manage it.

I dunno. I just leveled a mage from 1 to 85 in WoW and did not stop once to drink for more mana. Also you can actually do that with three abilities (arcane mage).