Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worst PVP I've seen in a while

Comments

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by Deto123
    Originally posted by NaughtyP
    Originally posted by gildarbuc

-there does not seem to be ANY reason to pvp other than to kill other players and get pvp exp

You mean this game will actually have people who want to PvP just because PvP is inherently fun? That should be the ONLY reason to PvP ever!!!!!!!!

As much as I would love to agree with this I can t. Alot if not most MMO players want to improve their chars, and I m willing to bet even you won t find it as fun, after many many matches of well just pvping. It s just the nature of it, people want more then just , oh look we won.

That's okay. I'll play for fun and for server pride. Sounds more entertaining than waiting for that +1 to charisma.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• MacecardMacecard Member UncommonPosts: 142

Here is a short pvp review

Good

-You can pvp from lvl one

-You roll a lvl 80 toon and have at it.  This makes it so much easier than to grind a toon to 80 to find out that class sux in pvp.

-instances are easy to get into for now and the ques are instant.

Bad

-The pvp runs heavy.  I have a very high end machine with a 15 meg connection and my mouse feels like it weighs 5 lbs

-As in most games the class balance is way off.  Tanks with heals are almost not worth trying to kill one on one.  They do more dmg than they should.

-The game rolls from one instance into another and you stay with that group until players leave and new players enter in their place.  It feels like a huge treadmill and the instances start to run together.  If you hate a particular instance you are stuck dropping and coming into another group to avoid it.

-the game slows down in fights because of the lag and it frames a LOT more than it should.  Not bad but too much.

-there does not seem to be ANY reason to pvp other than to kill other players and get pvp exp.  With that exp you get chests of gear that will twink you a bit.  I am only lvl 10 pvp so I don't know how much the gear elevates your toon at later levels.  Certain classes just suck so read up so your not rolling that class.

-you change teams so your fighting a guy one instance and when you roll to the next one he is on your team.  I don't like that at all.  I want a bad guy to go after each run.

-I was up at 3 am to start pvping on Sat morning and on Monday night I have no desire to play the game.  That is about as fast as that has ever happened.

-the graphics are not that great.  Rift and SWTOR have better graphics and better pvp.

I have NOT done global pvp.  All i have done are instances.  If this were a subscription game I would have canceled it already.  There are MUCH better pvp games out there.  This isn't a bad game it just isn't good. I will keep playing it and hoping I find some pvp that is  fun to play.  I waited a LONG time for this game and it is not living up to the hype.  My buddies are saying the same things.  One is already back in Rift.

-

Anyone else see the contradiction here? no? nevermind, 

Edit: just re-read the title of this thread, seriously? have you not played pvp since pre 2000? I find it impossible to beleive that without only having played 2 games (brilliant games aparently) in the last 6 years that you can think this is the worse pvp. The sheer amount of games on the market should tell you that your statement is wrong.

I HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF BROAD SWEEPING STATEMENTS ON THIS FORUM! F'IN STOP IT!

If you continue to make sweeping statements like you know what everyone everywhere thinks about a certain topic then I am going to shout at you.
    It easy to type 'I think this is the worst game ever'
    Rather than the 'This is the worst game ever'

• Deto123Deto123 Member Posts: 689

-there does not seem to be ANY reason to pvp other than to kill other players and get pvp exp

You mean this game will actually have people who want to PvP just because PvP is inherently fun? That should be the ONLY reason to PvP ever!!!!!!!!

As much as I would love to agree with this I can t. Alot if not most MMO players want to improve their chars, and I m willing to bet even you won t find it as fun, after many many matches of well just pvping. It s just the nature of it, people want more then just , oh look we won.

That's okay. I'll play for fun and for server pride. Sounds mLol, i m somewhat agreeing with itore entertaining than waiting for that +1 to charisma.

LOL I m somewhat agreeing with it, but mark my woirds, in a few months you ll never have a que to get in which is good and bad, becuase I fear alot of people wil notl care, if they re not getting anything for it. It just isn t human nature to do stuff for nothing. Obviously for some it is, but i m willing to bet 80% it s not.

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Good

-You roll a lvl 80 toon and have at it.  This makes it so much easier than to grind a toon to 80 to find out that class sux in pvp.

Bad

-The pvp runs heavy.  I have a very high end machine with a 15 meg connection and my mouse feels like it weighs 5 lbs

-As in most games the class balance is way off.  Tanks with heals are almost not worth trying to kill one on one.  They do more dmg than they should.

-The game rolls from one instance into another and you stay with that group until players leave and new players enter in their place.  It feels like a huge treadmill and the instances start to run together.  If you hate a particular instance you are stuck dropping and coming into another group to avoid it.

-the game slows down in fights because of the lag and it frames a LOT more than it should.  Not bad but too much.

-there does not seem to be ANY reason to pvp other than to kill other players and get pvp exp.  With that exp you get chests of gear that will twink you a bit.  I am only lvl 10 pvp so I don't know how much the gear elevates your toon at later levels.  Certain classes just suck so read up so your not rolling that class.

-you change teams so your fighting a guy one instance and when you roll to the next one he is on your team.  I don't like that at all.  I want a bad guy to go after each run.

-I was up at 3 am to start pvping on Sat morning and on Monday night I have no desire to play the game.  That is about as fast as that has ever happened.

-the graphics are not that great.  Rift and SWTOR have better graphics and better pvp.

I have NOT done global pvp.  All i have done are instances.  If this were a subscription game I would have canceled it already.  There are MUCH better pvp games out there.  This isn't a bad game it just isn't good. I will keep playing it and hoping I find some pvp that is  fun to play.  I waited a LONG time for this game and it is not living up to the hype.  My buddies are saying the same things.  One is already back in Rift.

-

Say Whaaaaaaaaat? lol Are you kidding me, PvP in GW2 is by far the best PvP to hit the MMO scene in the last 10 years, this games PvP is the most balanced I played in a very,very,very long time.

- As for tanks, well every class can tank, just spec into the right skills, I had a Ranger speced with max health & Defense and all the healing regen with a pet that healed and I was living as long if not longer then a fully speced out with max health Guardian & Warrior so I don't know what you are taking about.

- Also I have no problems with lag at all, sure it can bog down a bit with tons of Aoe effects in one place but what games doesn't.

- Also I did however have a sluggy problem with my mouse at first but all I did was just turn up my mouse sensitivity in option and problem solved.

Here are some tips, turn down some GFX settings, stop playing this games PvP like you did every other MMO and spec into things that help you live "NOT ALL DAMAGE" like Rift/Swtor/WoW tards, this games PvP is for the big boys and takes pure skill & build not gear, if you sucked in 1v1 in other MMO's then chances are you will suck in GW2's PvP because this games (althought heavy on team play)  play style is about self subainability unlike other MMO's where you need to be baby sat.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

That's okay. I'll play for fun and for server pride. Sounds mLol, i m somewhat agreeing with itore entertaining than waiting for that +1 to charisma.

LOL I m somewhat agreeing with it, but mark my woirds, in a few months you ll never have a que to get in which is good and bad, becuase I fear alot of people will care, if they re not getting anything for it. It just isn t human nature to do stuff for nothing. Obviously for some it is, but i m willing to bet 80% it s not.

I'm willing to bet that if someone is playing GW2 without knowing that stat grinds are not the driving force of this game, then they are going to be disappointed no matter what part of the game they are playing.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    Originally posted by Wolvards
    Originally posted by Fratman
    Originally posted by kol56
    Originally posted by aesperus

In my opinion, the game is too dumbed down, it's a button mashing zergfest, there are no goals, it's pvping for the sake of pvping, like a Call of Duty or Halo FPS match.

Maybe it's good as a second MMO, just to have 15 minutes of mindless fun every now and then.

That's what sPvP is designed for. Arena based PvP IS PvPing for the sake of PvPing. The goal is to be better than your opponent. That's it!

If you want goal-oriented PvP, that's where WvW comes in.

I was talking about WwW, zergfests against random no named players, it's too shallow.

And it was supposed to be the best thing about GW2.

Mass pvp is fun for about 5 minutes to anyone with a brain. After that the zerging is just annoying. Bad news is that Arenanet decided to base their entire game around it. lol.

Have you ever coordinated a 150 man zerg into 3 different assualts to

1) besiege the enemy castle

2) cut their port to said castle

3) kill any reinforcements on their way, to said castle?

No you probably have not. GW2 is in its early days, there are no server leaders yet, and no one really cares yet, with matches changing daily, I don't care about WvW.

As soon as we get into the 2 week battles, i'm all in, and you can bet your ass the tactics and strategy will be there too.

O also on a side note, when people bitch about being in zergs, I can't take them seriously. Because they are too lazy to play the game they want to play. You want to get away from the zergs? Don't expect that gameplay to come to you, get out, on your own, or with a friend, and go kill shit. It's literally as simple as that. 

I m all into the idea of it as well, but it will never ever play out like DAOC did. You sound like you played it, and in this topic I already posted. I ll sum it up quickly. 2 week sessions are not enough to ever build a hate for the other servers. DAOC people in the first 5 years I would say, until Mythic f d it up, but thats for a different topic, people actually hated the other realm. All you havd to do was go onto the VN boards daily to see. It will never happen here, maybe at the very early stages, but later I fear it won t. Fun to be had sure, but lasting impressions for years to come nope, for me anyways.

Now that I can totally agree with you on, that's my only thing knocking WvW for me, is the "server" pride. But, at the same time, for me on DAoC it was more about the community on my own faction, I remember defending keeps multiple times and a certain guild (Eastern Wind) would come in from behind, with just a small man, and start wiping the zerg, and as soon as we seen that kill spam and them yell push, everyone damn sure did that.

That will happen, maybe not that scenario, but server leaders will come out, and that's what will get many people to keep playing. Getting with someone who can get shit done, that's what makes it fun. It's just like PS, large guilds with officers/commanders, coordinating large attacks on multiple area's. It can be done, and that's the lasting appeal i'm seeing in it.

Although I do wish I could build some infamy within the other servers :) nothing like a good ole rivalry.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

LOL I m somewhat agreeing with it, but mark my woirds, in a few months you ll never have a que to get in which is good and bad, becuase I fear alot of people will care, if they re not getting anything for it. It just isn t human nature to do stuff for nothing. Obviously for some it is, but i m willing to bet 80% it s not.

I'm willing to bet that if someone is playing GW2 without knowing that stat grinds are not the driving force of this game, then they are going to be disappointed no matter what part of the game they are playing.

Yep, I agree, but I m also willing to bet, alot of people bought GW2 without knowing a thing about it, or vey little.

• MacecardMacecard Member UncommonPosts: 142

And I am willing to bet anyone going into GW2 never knowing what a stat grind is and never having played a grindfest mmo before will love this game no matter what you post on forums

If you continue to make sweeping statements like you know what everyone everywhere thinks about a certain topic then I am going to shout at you.
    It easy to type 'I think this is the worst game ever'
    Rather than the 'This is the worst game ever'

Originally posted by Fratman
    Originally posted by aesperus

In my opinion, the game is too dumbed down, it's a button mashing zergfest, there are no goals, it's pvping for the sake of pvping, like a Call of Duty or Halo FPS match.

Maybe it's good as a second MMO, just to have 15 minutes of mindless fun every now and then.

That's what sPvP is designed for. Arena based PvP IS PvPing for the sake of PvPing. The goal is to be better than your opponent. That's it!

If you want goal-oriented PvP, that's where WvW comes in.

I was talking about WwW, zergfests against random no named players, it's too shallow.

And it was supposed to be the best thing about GW2.

Mass pvp is fun for about 5 minutes to anyone with a brain. After that the zerging is just annoying. Bad news is that Arenanet decided to base their entire game around it. lol.

Have you ever coordinated a 150 man zerg into 3 different assualts to

1) besiege the enemy castle

2) cut their port to said castle

3) kill any reinforcements on their way, to said castle?

No you probably have not. GW2 is in its early days, there are no server leaders yet, and no one really cares yet, with matches changing daily, I don't care about WvW.

As soon as we get into the 2 week battles, i'm all in, and you can bet your ass the tactics and strategy will be there too.

O also on a side note, when people bitch about being in zergs, I can't take them seriously. Because they are too lazy to play the game they want to play. You want to get away from the zergs? Don't expect that gameplay to come to you, get out, on your own, or with a friend, and go kill shit. It's literally as simple as that. 

I m all into the idea of it as well, but it will never ever play out like DAOC did. You sound like you played it, and in this topic I already posted. I ll sum it up quickly. 2 week sessions are not enough to ever build a hate for the other servers. DAOC people in the first 5 years I would say, until Mythic f d it up, but thats for a different topic, people actually hated the other realm. All you havd to do was go onto the VN boards daily to see. It will never happen here, maybe at the very early stages, but later I fear it won t. Fun to be had sure, but lasting impressions for years to come nope, for me anyways.

Now that I can totally agree with you on, that's my only thing knocking WvW for me, is the "server" pride. But, at the same time, for me on DAoC it was more about the community on my own faction, I remember defending keeps multiple times and a certain guild (Eastern Wind) would come in from behind, with just a small man, and start wiping the zerg, and as soon as we seen that kill spam and them yell push, everyone damn sure did that.

That will happen, maybe not that scenario, but server leaders will come out, and that's what will get many people to keep playing. Getting with someone who can get shit done, that's what makes it fun. It's just like PS, large guilds with officers/commanders, coordinating large attacks on multiple area's. It can be done, and that's the lasting appeal i'm seeing in it.

Although I do wish I could build some infamy within the other servers :) nothing like a good ole rivalry.

I do hope so, I ve basically bought GW2 to dabble in WvW here and there.

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

LOL!   Why would anyone try a game out because of "high" hype?   Seriously wtf is so different from Gw2 then any other MMO's that look almost exactly like it?  There are MMO's out there with a 4.0 rating that is way better then GW2 , only reason people flock around GW2 is because every moron is talking about it and telling tall stories about how great GW1 was back then.  YES GW1 "WAS" GREAT back then , GW2 is just another copy/paste MMO with aspects here and there from other MMO's. 

It's like having played Final Fantasy on the NES/SNES , once your up to 7 , it's normal that the upcoming FF's will be boring and a feeling of "deja vu".  It's a lame example , but after playing countless MMO's with the same style of game play , same sprites , same landscape , etc etc , it's normal in my case that I won't be hyped about such a game.   I'm more hyped about PS2 and EoN , because we haven't had many RTS/FPS MMO's released up to now and it's a sweet change. 

The only Fantasy type MMO that I am hyped about is ArcheAge , with heavy naval sieges and castle sieges , sieges everywhere!  

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Good

Which is how it should be.   Unlike SWTOR which you later reference.

Bad

My current working hypothesis that people have poorly matched resolutions to their VRAM.   This game has incredibly complex and high-end graphics for an MMO.    The GPU is not the issue.    Otherwise I wouldn't be getting the great FPS I have.   Especially as my card, admittidly over-clocked, is an HD5850 with four-month-old-drivers.

But I have 2GB VRAM.   So I just rock the game visually.

There are no tanks.   And they're not nearly as tough for me as they were for you.   This is a L2P issue.

I just don't have these problems.   And all of my settings are max but I keep my resolution at 1600 x 1050.    Once again, I really think too many people have over-bought their monitors for their cards.   An HD1080 monitor is a great thing, but you need to GB of VRAM to run it and a game properly as you've increased your pixels by 31%.

To me, this makes the most sense because, as I said, over-clocked or not, I don't have the fastest GPU out there and I'm not having any FPS issues.  At all.   And YOU should be faster than me.    Though there is a problem with NVidia drivers which may be your problem.

That's another L2P issue.  

Gee, pretty much the same as every MMO and onlie shooter with this kind of small-scale PvP that I've ever played.

I played both.   SWTOR's graphics were just freakin' awful.   Rift's graphics were good, better than SWTOR, but not as good as GW2s.      And, as for PvP...   That's just lol.

-

Yeah, people want their WoW clones.   That way all they have to do is re-keybind the mouse and they're good to go.   No learning involved.

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by SuprGamerX

LOL!   Why would anyone try a game out because of "high" hype?   Seriously wtf is so different from Gw2 then any other MMO's that look almost exactly like it?  There are MMO's out there with a 4.0 rating that is way better then GW2 , only reason people flock around GW2 is because every moron is talking about it and telling tall stories about how great GW1 was back then.  YES GW1 "WAS" GREAT back then , GW2 is just another copy/paste MMO with aspects here and there from other MMO's. 

It's like having played Final Fantasy on the NES/SNES , once your up to 7 , it's normal that the upcoming FF's will be boring and a feeling of "deja vu".  It's a lame example , but after playing countless MMO's with the same style of game play , same sprites , same landscape , etc etc , it's normal in my case that I won't be hyped about such a game.   I'm more hyped about PS2 and EoN , because we haven't had many RTS/FPS MMO's released up to now and it's a sweet change. 

The only Fantasy type MMO that I am hyped about is ArcheAge , with heavy naval sieges and castle sieges , sieges everywhere!  

Try playing it before you comment .

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517

Good

I assume this is for sPvP and not WvW. Queues should always be instant as they are cross-server.

Bad

Define high-end machine? how much latency to their servers on your 15 meg connection?

I am running an AMD FX-8150 system w/ 8GB of ram and a Geforce 560GT and lowest I hit was 50fps (that I saw, anyways).

Are you talking sPvP or unofficial tournaments?

If it is sPvP this is not the case... I have had it switch me from one side to the other between matches, even taking me away from my friends... So your group composition will change from match to match.

Meaningless without defining your "high end machine".

Have you heard the old adage "There are no stupid people, just stupid questions?". This is much the same. There are no bad classes, just bad players(or at least players who don't know how to play their class... or want to be a thief but play a warrior, so try to play the thief like a warrior).

Directly counters your statement that you stay with your group the entire time. For pick-up games they do this for fairness, so if one group is dominating they don't just dominate forever. If you want to stay with your team you want to get a team together, go to the tournament master, and sign up for a structured event. Your team will stay together.

I am sorry you are not enjoying it. A few quick comments. Massive lag almost always detracts from enjoyment, if only because it screws up your response time and makes it harder to follow what is going on. You should try and identify why you are lagging. It may be due to out of date/faulty drivers, hardware, background processes, latency on your connection, or any one of a number of things. The other thing I would recommend is trying a different class, and test every weapon combination on each class... Each class not only plays completely differently from every other class, but they play differently from weapon to weapon. Find a class you enjoy and then figure out how to play it well and you can stand toe-to-toe with anyone.

Are you running on low everything or something? Even on medium they are as good if not better, and once you pump them up it is pretty sexy. That being said, the question is are you talking about graphics or aesthetics? Is it the art style or the graphic quality that you don't like?

-

Your buddies are the only ones I've heard of saying those things... Most of the people I have run into are talking about how the rest of their guilds are coming over to join them in GW2, even though they weren't going to originally... I've also heard a few people tell me that his server on Rift was a ghost town during the head start... Either way, if they stay I hope they have a better time and you can always send me a message if you want specific info to try and figure out what is wrong. If they leave, I hope it works out for them...

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521

So did the OP win the award for first request to NERF a class?  Sounded like it to me, but maybe I missed someone else's whine.

Tanks are not Overpowered.  I run a tank and a caster and both lose equally.  I think caster has a lot more tricks to win.  Tanks vs. Tanks should be even.  Casters vs. Casters should be even. 

All working as intended to me.

• dirtyd77dirtyd77 Member UncommonPosts: 383

I have not played the game yet. Will be picking up a copy this weekend after a long business trip. 

I will say one thing though. The way some of you defend this game and bash anyone who does not hold it in the same view as yourselves is crazy.

It makes me think that the Messiah has returned, only instead of taking human form he has taken the form of a game called GW2...

and when someone disagrees with that view well then they are up against something similar to arguing  noah's ark against someone with blind faith.

Well can't wait to try this game out since it seems to be the 2nd coming of Christ.

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251
    As soon as I saw the OP's mention of how great TOR's pvp was I knew this was just trolling. I wrote something up, and decided it better to just say SWTOR pvp is the worst crap to ever be crapped out by a lazy developer in mmo history(possibly). GW2 pvp is a little dumbed down, and I'm wondering if I'll get bored with it in the long run, but I have not ran that course yet.
  • wylderwylder Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

I've seen a lot worse PvP, and recently too. Like a sci-fi game...most horrible PvP I've ever seen.

GW2 PvP is all about the warzones...like in DAOC

Wow how wrong can you be.

If you actually played daoc you would know that that game wasent all about "warzones" , because they dident even have them at all!

What Daoc had was 24/7 open world zones you could enter like thidranki with pop caps on them like Fusang in TSW, not like modern Battlegrounds.

And if you actually played Daoc you would know that it was all about RvR not "Warzones".

Your post was one of the most miss informed ones I have seen, and if you want to defend a game by a comparsion with another game at least have some basic information on the game you refering it with.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Originally posted by rexzshadow

No it doesn't work.

Doesn't work for you, you mean? We appreciate your opinion, sir. Have a nice day.

/yawn

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374

Instanced Pvp is indeed not so fun, not even on par with GW imo with all the lags and even bad map design.

But WvW is the meaty part of the game, instanced pvp are for those who like to grind for titles.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

@OP

the WvWvW pvp is the best thing about GW2.. Probally the best themepark tab target pvp i have seen for some time..

Also not sure whats up with your PC? mine works fine.

Intel i7 2700k

8GB RAM

2 x ATI 6850s

Win 7 x64

My graphics cards are now getting on a bit but still mi not having any issues. OF course it does slow down a bit but thats to be expected with all the particle effects going off.

I have no issues 1v1 verses a warrior with my engineer.. most of the time the warrior cant even get close and if he starts to i either root him slow him down or knock him back..

The one main issue with the WvWvW pvp at the moment are the queue times.. i was in a queue for an hour last night and didnt get in.. quit and went to play a sci-fi pvp game...

Cant really comment on the other form on pvp as small battle ground like that really dont interest me at all..

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034
    I have NOT done global pvp. 
    ...  One is already back in Rift.

-

So you made a wall of text explaining GW2 only have instanced pvp that you obviously hate for some strange reasons (probably brain washed wy the kids pretending it's not "true" pvp), yet you haven't tryed their WvsW which is the open world format. Who are you making fun here, us or yourself? I'm honestly wondering.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Bads will be bads.

Hopefully the OP is one of the players I spanked today in WvW, ahhhh yes, good times taking out the trash.

• ShimpoGenmuShimpoGenmu Member Posts: 66

best pvp lol

1 l2p

2 troll harder next time 

3 kkthxbb

• amadeuzamadeuz Member Posts: 73

LOL have you even try Illum pvp in SWTOR?  It is the worst pvp experience I've ever seen, I can't play pvp in illum because I always got low fps even I have i7 CPU with GTX580 graphic. I have to say that SWTOR is worst game optimization than any other titles. Warzone in SWTOR also was not that great either. Especially the character's animation in SWTOR is really bulky not smooth for pvp oriented combat.

So SWTOR compare to PVP in GW2, GW2's PVP win by a million miles.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Konfess
    OP Got it right! Spot on!  Rift & SWTOR do have better graphics.  But the truth will never be heard, especially with this lot.

Rift has very good graphics. But SW:TOR?? LOL! You gotta be joking right?

I  run Guild Wars 2 on absolute max settings and it looks amazing.

The characters in GW2 also have far more detail than in SW:TOR! where everything is washed out, because the HeroEngine can't handle it. lol!