Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worst PVP I've seen in a while

Comments

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428

You are a masochist. The game you want doesn't exist and never will, because people want to have fun playing a GAME, not banging their head against a keyboard because of aritificial "challenge" or "risk". 

May I ask what your game of choice would be? EVE?

I have played all major MMOs since Meridian 59 and so far my favorite was probably Shadowbane.   It had one of the best character building systems and had PvP that was challenging, impactful and carried significant risk.

Masochist ?    really ?    I just want a game that actually requires that you try and has goals and achievements that aren't common place.  A game where there is significant risk on character death so that being stupid and continually making mistakes isn't rewarded.

The game I want was at the core of MMOs when they were first created over ten years ago ( Meridian, UO, Asheron's Call,  EQ Rallos Zek).    They weren't perfect games but at their core they had more soul and challenge than anything released in the last 5+ years.

I enjoy gaming,, i don't enjoy a game that treats me like an idiot or child.  I don't want a game rewards me for losing. I don't want a game to leads me around by the nose or with a trail of neon arrows.  i am not retarted I can figure out where to go for my quests...

Fun doesn't need to be simplistic, forgettable, easy mode...  

The Original MMOs weren't easy, they required time, patience and effort to succeed.   They also gave you a lasting sense of accomplishment which is why us old timers remember them so well...

In an effort to mainstream MMOs the DEVs have removed much of what made MMOs great and left us with mainly forgettable games that have the satisfaction and achievement of playing a game of solitaire.   Sure they have a gazzillion more subscribers but so does McDonalds and nobody ever made the mistake of claiming McDonalds serves amazing quality food.

• JuaksJuaks Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Originally posted by vardar

Then you havent played it. I'm not saying GW2 is OMGFLASHYNEWSTUFF like some. But to say its no diffrent than any game in the last 10 years just smells of a troll post or someone talking out there ass having never played it before. Like GW2 or not who cares. Dont try and tell anyone who has played it that its the same though. My buddy HATES the game. He uninstalled it saturday evening. But even he admits its "diffrent". It just wasnt diffrent enough for him.

Diiferent? How is it so different? Omg  so they make a game that gear means little, wow, what a game changer,

it is the same as any other game, only gamers that have been playing for a long time can see that, unlike yourself, the pepsi generation gamer..

[mod edit]

I have been playing MMORPGs since 99 and I say GW2 makes things different and better than other games.

And anyone who says is simplistic and spams the keyboard, havent played beyond level 20 or just have no clue what they are doing.

• HaegemonHaegemon Member UncommonPosts: 267

GW 2 honestly isn't that much different, despite what people what to think in contrary.

The WvWvW is actually only 2 maps. Map A is cloned 3 times so each server has it's own "Home Base".

Map B is a 3-way struggle map identical to how TSW does the Fusang Projects.

Both also share gameplay traits of Fusang where the majority of participants just form "The Mob" and wrecking ball point to point. Someones mob always ends up being the most powerful, so rich get richer, winners keep winning until the reset point.

That's not a playstyle that people are just going to drop overnight. People won't spontaneously go "Wait, NOW we should be tactical and planned in our attacks."

If people aren't attempting that in other games, they won't in this one, that's just human nature, and not something ANet can design around.

Lets Push Things Forward

I knew I would live to design games at age 7, issue 5 of Nintendo Power.

Support games with subs when you believe in their potential, even in spite of their flaws.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by blinkiez

these posts make my head hurt to read them all. -.- so, someone answer this please, if they haven't already.

for anyone that has played wow pvp, how would you compare it to gw2 pvp? 

GW2's gameplay mechanics are very fun, just like WoW's.  Tight controls.  Not as polished as WoW's but give it time.  A perfect example would be my pet's pathing for my ranger.  My pet will just disappear at times, get easily CC'd, or die very easily, similar to how Hunter's pets were in vanilla. 
    Eventually (hopefully) they will get buffed enough to where they have very high survivability to aoe damage and are not easily CC'd (again by AOE abilities).

The PvP is similar in that it relies greatly on proper ability usage (managing offensive and defensive cooldowns appropriately) as well as line of sighting and proper crowd control.  The downed state adds an interesting element that furthers the above aspects of pvp.  At first I didn't like it but i'm changing my mind.

-The WvWvW is a nice feature that is superior to WoW's siege like battlegrounds (Wintergrasp in WOTLK and Tol Barad in Cata). 

-SPvP is similar to WoW's battlegrounds but smaller and with interesting pve elements.  The hardcore pvpers will be gravitating to this because it offers the most balanced test of skill.

-GW2 does not have an arena type system yet that is similar to WoW (team vs team - no objective other then to kill the opposing team). 

Personally I think an Arena type system similar to WoW's would really benefit the game and establish who the best players are.

• Deto123Deto123 Member Posts: 689
    Originally posted by Juaks

Then you havent played it. I'm not saying GW2 is OMGFLASHYNEWSTUFF like some. But to say its no diffrent than any game in the last 10 years just smells of a troll post or someone talking out there ass having never played it before. Like GW2 or not who cares. Dont try and tell anyone who has played it that its the same though. My buddy HATES the game. He uninstalled it saturday evening. But even he admits its "diffrent". It just wasnt diffrent enough for him.

Diiferent? How is it so different? Omg  so they make a game that gear means little, wow, what a game changer,

it is the same as any other game, only gamers that have been playing for a long time can see that, unlike yourself, the pepsi generation gamer..

[mod edit]

I have been playing MMORPGs since 99 and I say GW2 makes things different and better than other games.

And anyone who says is simplistic and spams the keyboard, havent played beyond level 20 or just have no clue what they are doing.

Thats funny, made it well past 20 and have been playing since 99 as well, it is simplistic, and isn t very different at all. Funny how OPINIONS are different, and aren t necessarily troll posts.

• HaegemonHaegemon Member UncommonPosts: 267
    Originally posted by Aori
    Originally posted by Juaks

[mod edit]

You really aren't helping your game, the guy stated some opinions and was responded to by vague responses that GW2 is a great game with no reason why. You respond like the previous person attacking the poster by calling him a troll, btw is a violation of mmorpg.com conduct.

So many GW2 followers are instantly calling people trolls and haters for merely stating their opinion. Yet these same followers can't provide any real reason why GW2 stands out.

There is only one poster who i've seen thats truely been helpful and they have a large list of links somewhere here.

GW2 has a really solid MH/OH weapon skill system, a great wealth of content built more parallel than lateral,and one of the best map/travel systems in the genre.

It does not have groundbreaking PvP.

It is not the Great Hype Hope.

It'll just have to settle for being a good game worth the purchase price. Oh damn, such a travesty.

Lets Push Things Forward

I knew I would live to design games at age 7, issue 5 of Nintendo Power.

Support games with subs when you believe in their potential, even in spite of their flaws.

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329

I like how when someone disagrees with the masses and states their opinion they are flamed like crazy. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the game and hope that you find something that better suits your pallet.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Originally posted by gildarbuc
    -The pvp runs heavy.  I have a very high end machine with a 15 meg connection and my mouse feels like it weighs 5 lbs

You probably need a new mouse then. ;)

Seriously, if you think in GW2 controls are not responsive you should try some other MMO and you'll get much worse results almost anywhere except WoW. If you have lag, you connection isn't as good as you think.

-The game rolls from one instance into another and you stay with that group until players leave and new players enter in their place.  It feels like a huge treadmill and the instances start to run together. 

Personal preferences. I happen to like non-stop PvP.

-the game slows down in fights because of the lag and it frames a LOT more than it should.  Not bad but too much.

Then you Internet connection definitely is crappy. I don't get any lag even in heavy fights.

-there does not seem to be ANY reason to pvp other than to kill other players

Welcome to your first PvP game.

---

And people dare to call a heap of random bull.... like that a PvP review? Wow, just wow.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• kol56kol56 Member Posts: 124

In my opinion, the game is too dumbed down, it's a button mashing zergfest, there are no goals, it's pvping for the sake of pvping, like a Call of Duty or Halo FPS match.

Maybe it's good as a second MMO, just to have 15 minutes of mindless fun every now and then.

"Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them's making a poop, the other one's carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge."

"The idea behind the tuxedo is the woman's point of view that men are all the same; so we might as well dress them that way. That's why a wedding is like the joining together of a beautiful, glowing bride and some guy"
    -Seinfeld

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

If I was to believe the OP, then I would also have to believe that games like TF2, LoL, and GW1 are also all steaming piles of crap.

The reasons just don't make sense. Structured PvP is basically arena based pvp (and is not the only pvp in this game). It's meant to feel like a game, and it's meant to allow players to stay in it for as much (or as little) as they want. All of these criticisms can be applied to games like TF2, but it's still basically someone saying a thing is bad, because it doesn't fit their personal preference. I get it if it's not your cup of tea, but to say something sucks (and is awful), because of the mechanics inherent to the type of game you're playing, is a bit absurd. It would be like someone saying a specific RTS game is awful, because you are randomly joined up with different players. (while most MMOs have faction based pvp, the ones that don't function in a very similar fashion)

- As for the performance issues. Hard to say if it's genuine or not. We have no idea what type of system your running, if it's a unique scenario of some back-end software conflicting, or what. However, to most players, the game is running smooth as butter in most cases. There has been lag, especially in the starting areas, but that's not exactly unexpected.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by kol56

In my opinion, the game is too dumbed down, it's a button mashing zergfest, there are no goals, it's pvping for the sake of pvping, like a Call of Duty or Halo FPS match.

Maybe it's good as a second MMO, just to have 15 minutes of mindless fun every now and then.

That's what sPvP is designed for. Arena based PvP IS PvPing for the sake of PvPing. The goal is to be better than your opponent. That's it!

If you want goal-oriented PvP, that's where WvW comes in.

• kol56kol56 Member Posts: 124
    Originally posted by aesperus

That's what sPvP is designed for. Arena based PvP IS PvPing for the sake of PvPing. The goal is to be better than your opponent. That's it!

I was talking about WwW, zergfests against random no named players, it's too shallow.

And it was supposed to be the best thing about GW2.

"Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them's making a poop, the other one's carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge."

"The idea behind the tuxedo is the woman's point of view that men are all the same; so we might as well dress them that way. That's why a wedding is like the joining together of a beautiful, glowing bride and some guy"
    -Seinfeld

• JedicowboyJedicowboy Member UncommonPosts: 140

There were 12 of us that came to this game and all of us are having the same game experience.  I hope everyone likes it but I/we am entitled to our opinions.  Not everyone is going to like this game even IF you like it. 

then IF YOU or the 12 of you DONT like it, then dont play it.  You all can go back to WoW.

• vort3xvort3x Member Posts: 129

What OP tells me:

You went into random 8v8 arenas. Got trashed. Now you're buthurt. Thus PvP sux.

Why such a long post?!

On the serious note - you're a very clueless person.

• Originally posted by aesperus

If I was to believe the OP, then I would also have to believe that games like TF2, LoL, and GW1 are also all steaming piles of crap.

The reasons just don't make sense. Structured PvP is basically arena based pvp (and is not the only pvp in this game). It's meant to feel like a game, and it's meant to allow players to stay in it for as much (or as little) as they want. All of these criticisms can be applied to games like TF2, but it's still basically someone saying a thing is bad, because it doesn't fit their personal preference. I get it if it's not your cup of tea, but to say something sucks (and is awful), because of the mechanics inherent to the type of game you're playing, is a bit absurd. It would be like someone saying a specific RTS game is awful, because you are randomly joined up with different players. (while most MMOs have faction based pvp, the ones that don't function in a very similar fashion)

- As for the performance issues. Hard to say if it's genuine or not. We have no idea what type of system your running, if it's a unique scenario of some back-end software conflicting, or what. However, to most players, the game is running smooth as butter in most cases. There has been lag, especially in the starting areas, but that's not exactly unexpected.

Unfortunately its true the statements themselves make no sense.  Until, that is, you read between the lines.

The full statment needs to add in "This is an MMORPG and I am a rat stuck in the random rewards skinner box and anything that deviates from that does not give me the addictive fix I need so it sucks." in order to make real sense.  Afterall MMRPG are not designed to have inherently fun gameplay so you need to spice it up with some addictive gambling based reward system with an infinite power curve.

TF2 people arguing with WoW people about PvP is like a cocaine addict arguing with a heroine addict about which drug is better.  And when you mix the two you get speedball and that just kills anyone addicted to that.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119
    Lol winter grasp. U mean tonka toy wars? Wvw absolutely crushes any other open world PvP out there and is a huge improvement of daoc system
  • FratmanFratman Member Posts: 344

I was talking about WwW, zergfests against random no named players, it's too shallow.

Mass pvp is fun for about 5 minutes to anyone with a brain. After that the zerging is just annoying. Bad news is that Arenanet decided to base their entire game around it. lol.

• hidrohidro Member UncommonPosts: 52

Well...

I'll reply on behalf of the coherent  (and a bit less edgy) guild wars 2 fans.

In my opinion, this is what makes Guild Wars 2 PVP different for me:

1. I have played Thief, Mesmer, Necro and Elementalist so far and the one thing that seperates Guild Wars 2 from the rest is how all the classes have multiple viable specs for PVP. I have been able to succesfully create a build out of my imagination, change my playstyle to accomodate said new build and VOILA, different class within a class!  Everytime you switch a weapon combination, you get a bar of new skills, its wonderful!

2. The dodging... I know games like DDO, Dragon Nest, Raiderz etc have all implemented this style of gameplay, but in Guild Wars 2 it is very, VERY fluid. If I see a fireball scorching towards me, I can simply double tap a direction and BAM, I see "Evade"... SKILLS matter.

3. It's a team based game, REALLY. All of the professions have their own shoes to fill in a "team fight" (Think League of Legends.) Sure it's a bit more spammy, but you can precisely and carefully time attacks together for devastating combination attacks. There are strategic points in all the maps (Minus the first one during the tournaments.. I can't remember the name.. Basically the only map without a turret/trebuchet etc.)

4. The downed state seems like a burden at first but it has really grown on me, and I really enjoy it now. Sure, it's different, but it does not mean it's bad once you know what to do when you're downed.

ex: You keep attacking the guy that just downed you, he's almost dead. You're guardian friend next to you stuns your assailant while he is trying to stomp you and because of that stun, you manage to get him downed as well. BAM, RALLY! Back up and ready to go!

Not only that but a TEAM really means something in tournaments and battlegrounds. I have played in tournament games with 4 of my "real life" friends during our little LAN we had for the head start weekend and it was amazing. Being able to coordinate everything, we did really well and managed to snag wins. One of my friends (We were really inebriated at this point) even called out: "THIS IS LIKE LEAGUE, BUT FOR REAL" during one of our tournament matches "buff steal".

All in all, the game is fun and it is different but at the same time familiar. The market that ArenaNet intended to hit was indeed hit square on the head. If you give it some time and patience, and perhaps even play some premade games with 4 of your close gamer friends, you'll find yourself having a blast.

I know that it is frustrating to play with random players.. And that is one thing that I wish ArenaNet would improve on.. Being able to queue with my friends into a server without having a chance of getting split up. It would be nice not to be forced into tournaments to guarentee that we all play together.

Sorry for the long post heh...

TL:DR = The PVP is different from most MMO's, but it does have familiar (if not borrowed) aspects from other games so that it can attract a specific client. If you are one of the players that does not enjoy the game, maybe it just isn't for you.

Cheers!

EDIT: Oh... and ITS FUN!!! That's why you keep playing. Not because of incentives or rewards or grinds or dailies.. I play video games to have a great time and this game promotes just that!

-Matt

Console Esports?
    www.supergamebowl.com

• MuridanMuridan Member Posts: 94

QQ'ing about the following 2 damn DAYS into a pre-launch head start tells us all we need to know abotut he OP.

Lag

Class Balance

Did I read that right, did he say the word "Tanks"? someone should remind him GW2 is the game that broke the Holy Tinity...and Is it the game's fault that the people you're fighting have bought into the wisdom that in battle, you have to be alive if you want to deal damage, and you have not? Maybe...and here's the part where your pancake will surely start making like an X-games athlete and FLIP...but maybe, just maybe you're not as good at the PvP as you think you are, and this is fueling your rage? nah, couldn't possibly be that...

I for one am having a blast playing the game. You can feel free to re-up your sub to whatever game you feel gives you the best  chance to look good. 

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    I agree with OP  100%. This game's PvE is PHENOMENAL but the PvP obviously wasn't made by people who understand PvP. The wait for an MMO with better PvP than pre-ToA DAoC continues...
  • xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Mephster
    Standard pvp in GW2 is nothing more than mini Alliance Battles from the original game. Not impressed at all. 

You are on crack. It plays nothing like Alliance battles other than the fact that NPCs defend areas. It has siege weapons, the maps aren't all cicular, there are PvE and PvP objectives, there is the ability to camp the opposing side's area for extra rewards, etc. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• pauly6478pauly6478 Member Posts: 276

GW fanboi and not so pleased with PvP and PvE is decent nothing super amazing. 

Feel that the weapon swapping is clunky at times

WvWvW gets boring super fast. (bad enough trying to get 10 players to use strategy)

Voice acting on some races are.... well no sam elliot

Crafting to find new items through experimenting seemed awesome then after doing it for while not very unique imo.

Dodge mechanic while very nice and fun gets old real fast, specially with having to play this game with right mouse button taped down.

Exploring was fun for a bit with the vistas and skill points, but that also got boring really fast.

All in All decent game but maybe i'm just getting too old or maybe just played too many other mmo's but it all feels same anymore.

• PelagatoPelagato Member UncommonPosts: 673

Release date!!!!!

The hype train is starting to derail..... Its going tocrash soon...!!!

Massive battles are ALWAYS zergfests. :) Then again, while it's hard to make a difference on your own but several competent players together CAN make a difference. Team up with your friends and pick your own fights. Or try to become a leader who can organize randoms. This is not an easy task but should you succeed it'll earn you quite some reconition.

And actually it's a good thing you can't see the names in WvW. Names are just too distracting. Because there ARE objectives in WvW and you should work towards completing them.

Originally posted by Pelagato

Release date!!!!!

The hype train is starting to derail..... Its going tocrash soon...!!!

So you are you still mad that (insert game name) failed to meet your expectations. And now you stalk GW2 forums desperately hoping that GW2 will be just as disappointing for its fans as (insert game name) was for you.

Maybe it's time to stop for a moment and find something better to do?