Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Worth the Wait

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Guild Wars 2 has finally launched. In our latest column devoted to ArenaNet's newest game, we take a look at whether or not it has all been worth it. See what we've got to say before weighing in on the conversation in the comments.

Wow, what a weekend! I can’t believe it’s over. I’ve spent every spare moment playing ArenaNet’s Guild Wars 2, since I’m a lucky person with the 3 day head start, and I’m loving every second of it. But I’m still in a bit of shock. I still can’t believe that the wait is over. It’s been years and years of waiting, and these days it seems a bit odd for a developer to have so many years to make a game. Honestly, it’s the way games should be developed. A rushed game is really a waste of the developer’s time, and the player’s money. ArenaNet has had a unique opportunity to work on Guild Wars 2 until it was actually done. They wanted the world to receive a game that was a true evolution to the MMO genre, and in this fan’s opinion: it is and more.

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: Worth the Wait.

I’ve been playing almost nonstop.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• nadrian3knadrian3k Member UncommonPosts: 101

Everything i hoped it would be and more. A sincere thank u ANet. U have proven and outdone yourselves with this MMO. Enjoying every little bit of it possible at it's fullest.

Game developers u should ALL take notes on how a game should be made and for WHO it should be made. It should be for you AND the buyers not "just" for you and your pockets. On the long run if buyers are happy...then your pockets will be as filled.

GW2 is a capital example of how a game should be and how a game should surpass predecessors.

PS....AZURA FTW!!!
  • DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

I held off on playing/beta testing so that I could be 100% unbiased when the game came out. I avoided threads, pictures, etc. And it was so well worth the wait. I didn't think I'd like the game but... I love it. I also love that it's B2P, which means I can keep FFXIV subbed for 2.0. :)

All-in-all, they have a winner on their hands. I've been completely absorbed since Early Access launch. I think I've maybe gotten 2/40 winks in the past few days. Haha.

• AdelbernAdelbern Member Posts: 85
    Guild Wars 2 is the one for me, the one that will keep me playing for years like my 1st mmo did.
  • ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Not disappointed, because I didn't expect much. The game is average on every respect.

REALITY CHECK

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

"With rushed development you end up just taking another game’s design and switching the visuals, and changing the name of features, just so you could call it a “unique” game."

This.  I feel it's one of the most important things about this game and why ANet deserves praise and respect.  They didn't try to jump on the quick cash train, they spent a long time on something they put their hearts into.

• NovaRyuNovaRyu Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Awesome game, lived up to the hype. Just a really enjoyable game to hop on and play with friends, whether we're doing events together or world pvp.
  • thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    I havent followed GW2 deliberatley,  I had no expectations from it and so far aside a few bugs such as our guild leader being lost in limbo,  guild chat delays, the downtime on 1st day of headstart, and a bug blocking me from 100% wayfarer area I have been highly impressed by GW2 visually and performance wise on my gaming laptop @1920 x 1080 maxed except for post processing.   I have also been impressed by the events system and absolutely love the way a longbow/sword-axe Ranger plays traiting to creatures and skirmishing.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I have that feeling again, you know when you step onto a world and your breath is taken away from the beauty of it all. That is the feeling i got from playing my very first mmo, WoW when it launched. I started that one right before the patch that added pets to hunters for the first time, and that was soon after the hunters were added to the game for the first time. 

This game really has lived up to it's promises of fun stability and being completely different then those other titles out there.

• ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Originally posted by Thillian
    Not disappointed, because I didn't expect much. The game is average on every respect.

[mod edit]  As engineer myself i have to completely agree with this aricle.  And from a purely technical and design perspective this game is the most incredible feat in the last decade of gaming.  The level of inovation this game has brought to the gaming world will forever change it regardless of whether the game ends up as  just a game or becomes a dynasty.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I don't understand how this game is worth the wait when someone has maxed a character already?  That really irks me that a new MMO allows such fast progression.  Tells me the developers did not do their homework and made the game far too easy. What happened to any sort of challenge in a MMO.  This is just another themepark MMO that has been so simplified it will be full of bored players in a few months.

Tired of people getting excited by MMO's that should be vilified for weak design issues.

Yes some of you are having a great time in the game now, that is great, but give it time you will be whining about lack of challenge or things to do in a few months.  MMO's did not used to be like this.

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381
    Absolutely worth it. Having an amazing time. 
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

I don't understand how this game is worth the wait when someone has maxed a character already?  That really irks me that a new MMO allows such fast progression.  Tells me the developers did not do their homework and made the game far too easy.

Seriously?

You OBVIOUSLY didn't read HOW he did it.  His guild funnelled ALL THEIR MATS to him for a majority of crafting.

The game lets you level via PvP, PvE, Crafting.  Oh the developers don't care.. blah blah blah.

Broken records.  Not your game, fine, move on.  But seriously when you have NO IDEA what you're talking about, spouting off gibberish makes you look like a troll.

Originally posted by ZeGerman

[mod edit] As engineer myself i have to completely agree with this aricle.  And from a purely technical and design perspective this game is the most incredible feat in the last decade of gaming.  The level of inovation this game has brought to the gaming world will forever change it regardless of whether the game ends up as  just a game or becomes a dynasty.

People like you have no idea what innovation means. You in theory want innovation, but in practice, you want to play the same old crap. Guild wars 2 is exactly that. It's same old while pretending to be innovative. 

Dynamic events are not innovative, nor map exploration, nor zerg-festing PvP. Apart from that the only really "innovative" thing I can think of is that the game has no mounts.

In fact GW2 is as old in its design as its server technology, in an age where single-server tech exists, we still have to cope with queuing, 8k limit servers and Overflow crap.

REALITY CHECK

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

Average when compared to what mmo?

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I don't understand how this game is worth the wait when someone has maxed a character already? 

Yeah, someone as in ONE person who had an entire guild helping him.  Don't expect this kind of thing to happen much.  I played the entire weekend and am only level 25.  If this were WoW I'd be lvl 50 by now just from spamming LFD.  Don't talk about "fast progression" until you get educated.

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    I played the beta but unfortunatly I'm away from home at the moment and my laptop wont handle it so I have to wait another three weeks at least before I can join the rest of you . What I saw of it in the beta was probably the first mmo I've had that feeling I once had about WoW in its Vanilla stage. For the present I'm stuck playing WoW for a month because I've very little else to do here . Even though its a class I've never played a death knight and the cata content is all new to me WoW just seems so static and dull compared to what I saw in Guild Wars 2 . I only ever return to WoW a couple of times a year thesedays when I'm away from home now and unless I buy a new laptop I will continue to do so . From the feedback I'm getting from friends that are playing both it and WoW is GW2 does everything just as well as WoW does if not better . The only thing it lacks is raiding which I never really enjoyed anyway . For me it will most likely mean giving up Rift as my regular mmo . I don't see the point in paying a sub anymore .
  • LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Well worth the wait. It'll keep me absorbed for years to come.
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

Definitely worth the wait, I think this game genuinely has massive potential, far more than anything since WoW.

I've not seen anything I don’t like about the game design yet, in fact I think it’s incredibly well designed. As already pointed out the guy who hit 80 had his full guild helping him so a regular player just starting out would never be able to get to 80 as fast, so for me that’s a non-issue.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Ikeda

I don't understand how this game is worth the wait when someone has maxed a character already?  That really irks me that a new MMO allows such fast progression.  Tells me the developers did not do their homework and made the game far too easy.

Seriously?

You OBVIOUSLY didn't read HOW he did it.  His guild funnelled ALL THEIR MATS to him for a majority of crafting.

The game lets you level via PvP, PvE, Crafting.  Oh the developers don't care.. blah blah blah.

Broken records.  Not your game, fine, move on.  But seriously when you have NO IDEA what you're talking about, spouting off gibberish makes you look like a troll.

Gibberish?  I played the Beta, did not say the game was not fun, just that it has huge design issues.  Makes no difference how the character was leveled, you can bet non crafting characters will be maxed within the week too.  I noticed this in beta play how extremely easy it is to level and there is very little challenge.  It is not that different than SWTOR except that there is no sub, little thought has been put into the longevity of the game.   I also have found nothing really innovative about it.  Sure they have mechanisms that work differently, but they are just reworked from past games.

Even Wow, when it was released, took people months to max level a character.   Why have all the developers abandoned any sort of challenge?

• gladosrev2gladosrev2 Member CommonPosts: 203
    Totally worth the wait, level 37 here and it is a blast. The only reason I'm here posting now is that the servers went down for another update :P I'm getting similar feelings of awe like when I played Baldur's Gate, the first Gothic, and Morrowind. This is something fresh, brave and extremely addicting. Can't seem to stop going forward, like in a rollercoaster, behind every hill there is a new adventure. I can hardly believe there are 43 levels ahead of me + so many other races and classes and WvW and PvP :O THis all comes from a burnt out MMO gamer, I realyl put all on this one bet and it looks like it paid off :) Well time to check if the game's back online ^^

My Guild Wars 2 First Beta Weekend "reviewette" : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4944570/thread/349125#4944570

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
     And from a purely technical and design perspective this game is the most incredible feat in the last decade of gaming.  The level of inovation this game has brought to the gaming world will forever change it regardless of whether the game ends up as  just a game or becomes a dynasty.

The hyperbole is strong with this one.

• ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211

[mod edit]  As engineer myself i have to completely agree with this aricle.  And from a purely technical and design perspective this game is the most incredible feat in the last decade of gaming.  The level of inovation this game has brought to the gaming world will forever change it regardless of whether the game ends up as  just a game or becomes a dynasty.

People like you have no idea what innovation means. You in theory want innovation, but in practice, you want to play the same old crap. Guild wars 2 is exactly that. It's same old while pretending to be innovative. 

Dynamic events are not innovative, nor map exploration, nor zerg-festing PvP. Apart from that the only really "innovative" thing I can think of is that the game has no mounts.

In fact GW2 is as old in its design as its server technology, in an age where single-server tech exists, we still have to cope with queuing, 8k limit servers and Overflow crap.

[mod edit]  The choice to implement queuing and overflow has nothing to do with the server technology but is a biproduct of the state of PC's and bandwidth.  If they allowed as many people as wanted to be on a single server on that single instance of the game then the average user would have unbarable lag due to to many particle effects, the other reaason is if you put to many people on the same map the experience is less enjoyable.  it simply become too crowded.  And i personally feel that the overflow is an innovative way to remove queues.

Do you think the iPhone was inventive cause most people do even though they took alot of what they did from other sources.  The main difference between the iPhone and its predecessors was they put everything together in a way that was simple and actualy worked and for that they deserve all the praise they are given.  ANet really isnt any different.

• ShainnaShainna Member UncommonPosts: 58

Well worth the wait, and the hype didn't ruin it (like it happens with many).

No kill stealing, no resource hogging, no ninja looting. Great Art amd ambience, alot of details in each area, the cities are amazing. Good combat, getting xp for doing what you like (exploring, crafting, pve, pvp). A pretty good personal story (so far, only lvl 27).

The dinamic event system coupled with the delevel of a character to the zone you're in can mean alot of fun without annoying/bothering low levels. 

So far a pretty amazing game, can't wait to see all the zones.

[mod edit]  The choice to implement queuing and overflow has nothing to do with the server technology but is a biproduct of the state of PC's and bandwidth.  If they allowed as many people as wanted to be on a single server on that single instance of the game then the average user would have unbarable lag due to to many particle effects, the other reaason is if you put to many people on the same map the experience is less enjoyable.  it simply become too crowded.  And i personally feel that the overflow is an innovative way to remove queues.

Do you think the iPhone was inventive cause most people do even though they took alot of what they did from other sources.  The main difference between the iPhone and its predecessors was they put everything together in a way that was simple and actualy worked and for that they deserve all the praise they are given.  ANet really isnt any different.

This is typical, you think something in GW2 is innovative, and you have no idea that it was used fairly often before. Overflow servers were used for the first time 10 years ago already in a MMORPG. Nothing innovative about it.

In fact, there are server technologies that would allow all players to be on the same server, technically, while multiplying itself whenever a cap of the zone is reached.

REALITY CHECK