Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Simple Question: Is Guild Wars 2 worth $59.99?

OcenicaOcenica Member UncommonPosts: 96

If you have had access to this "head start" event; I, and many other people would like to know your real, down and dirty, simple opinion of, if the game is worth the $59.99 that the game now costs. 

Please take into account the time you have spent playing, the general opinion you have of the game, and as importantly: if you knew now, what you knew then; would you still purchase GW2?

Comments

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686
    I bought the collectors edition and it has been worth every penny spent.
  • L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

For me, a big resounding yes, worth that and more.

For other people, I'd say a big maybe. My recommendation is to watch the manifesto video, IMHO they nailed most (if not all) of what they said there, if the game they describe on it interests you, then it would be worth it for you.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
     Not for me. I bought it and found it very boring. I will keep trying to play it but runing around zerging everything with what seems like a ton of npc's isn't so much fun. I feel like I am playing by myself cause there is no need to ever group. Most poeple like the game I think, so to each his own
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Yes. I see a few issues with it, but honestly I haven't had this much fun running around and exploring things in a long time. Plus the jump challenge things are really fun too.
  • KingGatorKingGator Member UncommonPosts: 428

I have only played since late friday night, and since its a weekend and I like to go out and stuff I haven't even played that long, but my early impression is no. I seem to be running around alot to random event orange circles on the map and zerg randomly generated mobs. I sort of feel like I am running around aimlesly. I've rolled up 3 toons and they all feel like they play exactly the same.

As I said, I've barely scratched the surface, but the newbie experiene is more generic and less in depth than any game I've tried to date. People assure me that it gets better, we'll see, but just  based off of what I've experienced thus far I already regret spending my 60 bucks. 

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Yes but how much is 59.99 worth to you? I spent $80 last night at the bar so wtf.
  • Deto123Deto123 Member Posts: 689
    Yes, but no way in hell is it worth a sub after that.
  • DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974
    Worth every penny.
  • VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Oh and you don't have to run to those events every time a circle pops up weirdos. I do an event once, takes like 4 minutes and move on. Apparantly some of you are just playing the same level 2 event all day lol.
  • dbgagerdbgager Member UncommonPosts: 175
    YOu must be seriously kidding if you think the answer is "NO".  This game has no monthly sub fees.
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472

The problem with Rift was that everybody quit doing the Rifts.  I am afraid that everybody will quit doing the events in Guild Wars 2.   What do you guys think?

Sz

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Of course it is.  I paid as much for Skyrim and was done with it far sooner than I expect to be bored of GW2.  Anyone saying no is probably a hater.
    Originally posted by dbgager
    YOu must be seriously kidding if you think the answer is "NO".  This game has no monthly sub fees.

That  doesn't mean it is worth 60 bucks. I mean now that I spent the 60, and know no further charges are coming, I'll likely give it a a couple more days to hook me, but honestly I feel like I am having to TRY and like this game, having played games a long time I can tell you it is never a good sign, at least for me, when that happens.

Originally posted by Eir_S
    Of course it is.  I paid as much for Skyrim and was done with it far sooner than I expect to be bored of GW2.  Anyone saying no is probably a hater.

That's just silly. I paid for the game, I obviously want it to be good as only an idiot waste many like that otherwise, but thus far it hasn't grabbed me at all.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by SaunZ

The problem with Rift was that everybody quit doing the Rifts.  I am afraid that everybody will quit doing the events in Guild Wars 2.   What do you guys think?

Sz

The "rifts" had almost no context, they were glorified monster spawners.  GW2 has a wealth of variety regarding DE's.  It's not really the same.  I don't blame people for not wanting to do rifts.

• windwavewindwave Member UncommonPosts: 20
    I didn't pre-purchase and don't have access to head start, but I paid $48 only for the game courtesy of GMG. Heck I paid $59 for Diablo 3 and thought that was an ok game and worth the money, so I wouldn't really worry about the $48 I paid for this game.
  • dbgagerdbgager Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Originally posted by KingGator

That  doesn't mean it is worth 60 bucks. I mean now that I spent the 60, and know no further charges are coming, I'll likely give it a a couple more days to hook me, but honestly I feel like I am having to TRY and like this game, having played games a long time I can tell you it is never a good sign, at least for me, when that happens.

Hey that your problem..The game gives you the experience of an MMO..at the price of a single player game. How much do you think WOW players have paid for their experience thus far..If they have been there from the beginning. Lets add it up.

WOW was released on Nov 23, 2004 at a cost of $49.99 ..there have been 4 expansions priced $39.99..plus 91 months of sub fees ( $14.99 a month ). Thats $1,574.04. I think I'll take GW2 for $59.99

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

I voted yes.

That being said...Compared to games of old, it won't have that this is my main mmorpg affect on me. Since we don't have a monthly fee and there isn't any competiitive endgame grinding, that's ok.

So as a cheap form of entertainment, yes.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• gdi1234gdi1234 Member Posts: 4

Worth the money if:

you are looking to spend at least 6 months of your time to play this game, about 2hr/day (or more) of gameplay time.

or

The only game you will be playing for the next 2 years, casual playing (1hr/day or less).

GW2 brings in the best existing MMO concept and mesh it together, and make it better.

If you love PVP, there is a world just for you to PVP (battleground style)

If you love PVE, there is a world just for you to quest with storyline behind it. (Random Scripted Chain events with 'random' mob generator)

Hope it makes your decision making easier.

• ajayazirajayazir Member Posts: 108
    the game's worth it, it doesn't bring anything new for me, but i love mmorpgs. 
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    It was worth $60 just to play the Betas. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

End of the day is any game really worth that much?

Not really.

But all other games do it, so we think it's normal.

This is one of the games that comes near being worth the price though, but like every other game, it's not worth it really.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

There is really no logical explanation why you wouldn't say yes. Unless you hate fantasy.

Though the game still needs a lot of work to fix all the bugs.

• kruimeltjekruimeltje Member Posts: 1
    definitly think its worth it ,1st mmorpg thats grows on you in a long time,maybe not the best/nicest mmo ive seen in all the years but 1 of the best lately.but then i also loved eligium which was canceled way to soon to my opinion
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by KingGator

Hey that your problem..The game gives you the experience of an MMO..at the price of a single player game. How much do you think WOW players have paid for their experience thus far..If they have been there from the beginning. Lets add it up.

WOW was released on Nov 23, 2004 at a cost of $49.99 ..there have been 4 expansions priced $39.99..plus 91 months of sub fees ( $14.99 a month ). Thats $1,574.04. I think I'll take GW2 for $59.99

I played WoW since Vanilla and stopped my subscription. Without exact numbers I figured the Subscription cost alone not counting the game with expansions was over $1300.00. So, I'm not saying GW2 will last as long as WoW, I think it will, but it sure is worth the money.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.