Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Didn't expect it... But its seriously good.

2»

Comments

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by Tibernicus
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    It's the best pve game on the market

Unfortunately I prefer pvp.

It's really not.

Vanguard beats it by a mile.

Yeah listen to this guy Shaky, only he knows what is fun for you. So stop playing TSW even if you enjoy the PVE and think it is the best and go play VG because this guy told you so.

*rolls eyes*

Bite Me

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by Nikkita

It's really not.

Yeah listen to this guy Shaky, only he knows what is fun for you. So stop playing TSW even if you enjoy the PVE and think it is the best and go play VG because this guy told you so.

*rolls eyes*

As someone who likes TSW very much I wish it had as many content and big land masses as VG. You could actually explore in VG, no MMO has offered that kind of luxury since then imo.

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361
    Originally posted by Piiritus
    Originally posted by Nikkita

It's really not.

*rolls eyes*

As someone who likes TSW very much I wish it had as many content and big land masses as VG. You could actually explore in VG, no MMO has offered that kind of luxury since then imo.

I love your avatar Piiritus <3333 :D

• HiHoEskimoHiHoEskimo Member UncommonPosts: 82
    I have to agree, I't much better than I expected, it's actually one of the best games out there right now. The question is was it just under advertised so I egnored it until the free trial weekend?
  • Originally posted by Tibernicus

I'm going to guess then, that if you're having more fun with this than any other MMO, that you don't really like MMOs.

Because this game is an atrocious MMO. But its a decent wannabe singleplayer game.

It doesn't get recognition because having a game that is completely worthless except for your solo instances, doesn't make a good MMO.

This level of hyperbole is actually counter productive for your aims.  The game is nowhere near atrocious when put into the context of other MMOs released in the last 5 years.

Saying so is just silly.  This is coming from someone who did not sub after the free time and is currently playing alot of GW2. 

Even if you had any other good points the completely over the top statements makes me ignore them.  The game has problems but saying it completely worthless is so incredibly way off since they actually did some things very well that you basically destroy your ability to communicate anything to anyone who could be persuaded.

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by Stimos8

Been playing the secret world fairly heavily for the last 2 or so weeks now, i had'nt heard much about it untill roughly a few weeks before launch and decided to give it a shot. To my suprise the game is exceptional and i have had the most fun in it that i have had in any mmo lately. However apparently funcom is somewhat still struggly, why on earth would this be? Is it just because of bad timing, with all these different games comming out. Or is it the fact that people didnt hear much about it?

Its a very good game and it needs to be recognised, but the real question is, why isnt it already?

I'm glad you like it, a lot of people do (myself included). Funcom's problem is getting people to buy the game, their subscription retention numbers were higher than expected for the first month.

Unfortunately it has a few problems that need to be ironed out.. but even with a near flawless launch some people won't give Funcom any slack or play their games.  Some players are so jaded by games release 5-10 years ago that they won't even give TSW a chance.. which is their choice, I just find it odd that people don't do that with other MMO companies (Funcom has released more MMOs than most other MMO companies with TSW, just a little fact :)).

Asking for reasons on this forum aren't going to get you accurate answers.  I've stopped responding to the trolls because they come by specifically to bash the game and bad mouth it.  A majority of whom never played it or played it during beta long before it's current state.  I guess a few TSW fans decided it was a good idea to post in the GW2 forums and that brought a lot of GW2 fans here to slaughter the game (easy to see when you note the posting history of the most hateful of the replies).

If you like the game that's what's important.  Find others who like it (likely in game or the official forums) or ask your friends to play it.  You can't get many fair opinions on MMORPG.com anymore (and I'm not just saying that about TSW because the most vocal people are those are angry with a game and they tend to migrate here).

I have no doubt I'll get some sort of random flame response but that just proves the point.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by JosephJR
    [mod edit]

i dont know why peoples talking abouth this , if  is TSW sp game than 99% mmorpg's are single play games

He is saying it, because he didn't even play the game itself or at least never beyond Kingsmouth. Or he would eat his words "big time"!

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    After playing several weeks I bought lifetime sub for the first and most probably last time. This game is bloody good and I'm sure I'll play this on and off for years. 
  • KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

I was skeptical at first, too - especially given I played Anarchy Online for four years, and Age of Conan for six months so I knew what to expect, or thought so.

But during my five day trial I had more fun in The Secret World than I have in a video game since New Vegas was a virgin.

The UI could use some work, proper anti-aliasing but so far the story line, quests - and even the cinematics are pretty damn great. I enjoy the combat as elemental/pistol due to it's complexity and the fact that I get my ass kicked if I'm not trying.

(Like accidentally pulling 10 Ak'Ab in Blackgoat forest.)

• eckardteckardt Member UncommonPosts: 48

Maybe the best pve game in years, and i´ve tried a lot of them.

Yes, it´s hard and more complex than the majority, but having a great time, quests are great. My experience with funcom wasn´t that good, but with tsw they have done a great job, and it will be even better in the near future.

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

It is definetly an outstanding game, but i would love to see more things to do at the maximum level, than nightmare dungeons and the usual item grind.

More story, more player created content, more investigations. Just more creative things beside dungeons and raids. I know Ragnar and his fellows are capable of that!

Edit: And i love it, that the GW2 start has vanished nearly every troll in the TSW forums ;)

Hodor!

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

TSW > everything else.

Can't wait for 10 man raids. XD

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430
    I'm glad more people are trying and enjoying the game. I like it too and hope it grows with time.
  • GR3NDELGR3NDEL Member UncommonPosts: 112

I've been incredibly impressed with TSW - I can't remember the last time I've had this much fun playing an MMO.

Sure, there are things that need to be added, such as additional zones/content, the cabals need some love... but you know, I knew there would be areas that needed improvement and addition.  I haven't made the mistake of comparing an MMO just out the gate to an MMO that's been out on the market, expanded and polished for years - but even then, I thought TSW has a lot of polish.

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

I really enjoy the combat, missions and the world + difficulty.

But it feels...kind of empty, I see people, but I never talk to anyone or group with anyone. Even if we're in the literal middle of nowhere. I don't see how I can spend more than a month or two doing nothing but playing with myself.

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    I think TSW is the most fun out of all the recent MMO releases... from SWTOR and TERA all the way up to GW2.  The story is good, the questing feels way more intimate than GW2, and building your character is more fun. 
  • Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

I have just started playing this game. I am enjoying it so far.

The negitives for me are:

I wish there were less monsters but more wandering. I am in Kingsmouth and I noticed  many zombie packs just stand around in groups of three. Instead I wish there were less of those packs but they would wander about instead of being stationary I think would be a great future fix for the game.  (BTW there are a few wanding monsters, just not enough)

Also I noticed; not all the puzzles make sense. Am I really supposed to look at the hands of a clock then put it together with a Bible verse in the Book of Kings, then figure out that is the code for a key pad that isn't anywere near where the puzzle was found?  But... at least there is an in game browser so if I get stuck I don't even have to alt tab.

The Possitives.

I love the skill system. I love you can make your character how you want or follow a preset (Deck) if you don't know what you are doing. There is almost an endless combinations of possible character skill sets.

I love that you can explore and find a quest. This used to be the norm in MMO's, now it is disappearing. Just quest hub, after quest hub. In the Secret world you can wander aroud and find quests if you are paying attention.

Some of the puzzles do make sense if you pay attention. When you figure out a puzzle without looking it up, it's a lot more rewarding than killing ten rats.

Not a lot of arguing in the chat channel. Seriously, this can be a problem with new MMO's, everyone attacking WoW or Defending WoW when I came to the game to "Take a break from WoW!!!" When I am in the game, I want to talk about the game at hand, not some other game. The players in the Secret World seem to be so busy enjoying the game they aren't worried about some other game: So far, best chat of any game I have played.

Overall, not a perfect game but as a new player, it is a very promising and enjoyable one. We'll see if it stays that way as I keep playing. 

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    It's an interesting surprise. Unfortunately in the shadows of larger companies this year.
  • MouthMouth Member Posts: 113
    I think those shadows will gradually subside when people see that guildwars pve, storyline and questing is ... meh
  • majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    I played the free trial. I liked the game more than I thought I would. But with just two days playing time, I didn't have the feeling to get a closer look at the game (regarding having a full time job and not taking vacation just for the trial of a game).

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)