Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I already got BANNED.

Comments

• unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388

I like when people draw lines over what's funny and what's not.

There are no lines in humor, only hypocrites.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• PhramePhrame Member Posts: 29

Am I the only one who thinks a ban is a bit extreme for making this comment? Sure, it's not funny and it might be slightly offensive, but I feel like banning someone for one comment is a bit extreme in general. If he were harassing people with offensive comments or spamming the shout channel with offensive comments, that'd be another story entirely.

I'm actually surprised that so many people strongly feel that a single comment is worth a ban, especially one this stupid. I feel like I've heard far worse things said in MMOs

• atharielathariel Member Posts: 91
    Wow, did they hire GW2Guru moderators to moderate the game? Just wait until PvP kicks in and guild/server hatred comes into play. But I guess the GMs are roleplayers or something and they find calling someone a dick a great offense.
  • AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

Ouchies! Maybe you should of gotten a warning first.

I'm just glad the in game community is no were near like TERA. 24/7 it is about:

AlienWare, Dell, Your Mom Jokes, Zelda is the guy in the game Link, FFXI sucks, Guild Wars 2 sucks, ArcheAge sucks, Freedom to talk about pedophile topics, Rape, Incest, You must have 3 degrees in computer something something to be able to enjoy video games, I just got kicked out from a party because I was such and such class.

Oh boy.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Dude i am sure you understand how non classy that statement was?

I am a very understanding person and i am not even sure how i would take a comment like that.

I have seen some VERY racial comments right on national TV that seem to get the fly by becuase the claim art work,but idk man.

Being a mature type person,my response would have probably been to ask you to make an apology then a short  temp ban.However it seems people PAID to look after forums would rather not deal with people like human beings,much easier to just click a button.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

To everyone calling for the OP's summary execution...

Chil.  I know his comment was offensive, but come on, it was just a poor attempt at a joke.  There is no reason to talk about how he is the scum of the earth.  I honestly find you guys relentlessly bullying the OP more offensive than his comment.  It's like a freaking lynch mob, seriously.

To the OP...

Uhhh...I don't get it.  I love offensive humor, don't get me wrong, but that joke makes no sense lol.  Temp ban for that may be a bit excessive, but I don't think it's out of the realm of reason.  There are kids playing the game after all.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    This quite frankly is pathetic.... Banned over that... Why do people want to ban offensive or hateful speech?  Why can't I make a stupid offensive joke?  Why can't I hate you with speech?  I'm not physically hitting you, whats so bad here?  Are people so pathetic that such a trivial unfunny "offensive" joke can hurt someone's feelings, thus constitute a ban!?  Let people say what they want, if you don't like it, stick them on ignore.  I'm sick of people forcing you to feel contrite, either on forums, in games or in real life.  It makes people dishonest.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    I actually found the OP's joke funny because it was kinda random. It was just likely a "You know you're addicted when..." thread and the guy just decided he'd try his hand at 'shock' humor or something, and I guess it didn't go as well as he planned.
  • unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott
    This quite frankly is pathetic.... Banned over that... Why do people want to ban offensive or hateful speech?  Why can't I make a stupid offensive joke?  Why can't I hate you with speech?  I'm not physically hitting you, whats so bad here?  Are people so pathetic that such a trivial unfunny "offensive" joke can hurt someone's feelings, thus constitute a ban!?  Let people say what they want, if you don't like it, stick them on ignore.  I'm sick of people forcing you to feel contrite, either on forums, in games or in real life.  It makes people dishonest.

Yep, but then go on to make a joke about fat people, or women, or that dumb co worker. I love this planet.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Glad Anet does this, maybe that bad mouthed kiddo's learn it the hard way now.
    Not saying OP is a kid, but just watch what you say and dont offend people with real bad language.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

I never heard of someone getting banned in a GAME, not forums, for something they said. On PC at least, I know Microsoft likes that kind of stuff (Xbox).

Is this new? I haven't played much online games last few years except Team Fortress 2.

Anyway I don't like it and especially after only one silly remark.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

What people need to understand that the amount of abusive words in mmo's and online games is reaching retarded levels.
    My son also plays online games, he is 13 and he understands english perfectly, some stuff is just not normal anymore....

Maybe if your with your friends and getting drunk that tongue can be used, but in online games you need to behave, just like your in a public place.
    I fully understand the OP, but i must say iam verry happy people need to watch their steps when using foul langauge.

Try doing a random dungeon in WoW and make 1 mistake.....you have no idea what awaits you

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by Mothanos

What people need to understand that the amount of abusive words in mmo's and online games is reaching retarded levels.
    My son also plays online games, he is 13 and he understands english perfectly, some stuff is just not normal anymore....

Maybe if your with your friends and getting drunk that tongue can be used, but in online games you need to behave, just like your in a public place.
    I fully understand the OP, but i must say iam verry happy people need to watch their steps when using foul langauge.

Try doing a random dungeon in WoW and make 1 mistake.....you have no idea what awaits you

Hmm. I think kids should not play online games where adults also play, it's irresponsible parenting. People play games for entertainment so you're bound to have a bit of the same behaviour like in a bar. Dirty jokes are being made, etc. etc.Plus off course because everyone is anonymous the effect is tripled.  An online game should not and is not  like a normal public place. So stop trying to make it like one just because you want your kids to play.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    You can't get away with saying anything you want on the internet? I'm completely shocked an appalled!!!

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• clbembryclbembry Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by thekid1

Hmm. I think kids should not play online games where adults also play, it's irresponsible parenting. People play games for entertainment so you're bound to have a bit of the same behaviour like in a bar. Dirty jokes are being made, etc. etc.Plus off course because everyone is anonymous the effect is tripled.  An online game should not and is not  like a normal public place. So stop trying to make it like one just because you want your kids to play.

I'm not quite sure what I just read... o.O

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Sure. On separate servers please. 

I fully suppprt your right to use most offensive language possible.

I just want to have servers with rules that does not allow that.

Since it seems that current general rules don't allow that - I fully support new separate servers with diffrent server rules that allow worst language that one can imagine.

I will know and other players too what servers allow that and my virtual foot will just not stand there and you will have your no-rules server as well.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    Originally posted by lerwen

72 hours i think 

i got banned for my toon name screw you

I love that they ban people like you. I don't want you in my game.

+1

• gaugemewgaugemew Member Posts: 158

Not saying OP is a kid, but just watch what you say and dont offend people with real bad language.

Translation:  I'm glad there are entities willing to enforce my beliefs unto other people.

• DamzillaDamzilla Member UncommonPosts: 170
    Originally posted by fenistil

Sure. On separate servers please. 

I fully suppprt your right to use most offensive language possible.

I just want to have servers with rules that does not allow that.

Since it seems that current general rules don't allow that - I fully support new separate servers with diffrent server rules that allow worst language that one can imagine.

I will know and other players too what servers allow that and my virtual foot will just not stand there and you will have your no-rules server as well.

This. I don't have anything against a dirty joke now and then and some adult humour, but if you push it to the extreme, it can get annoying and boring. If some players can't live without it, they can rent a special sound isolated room in the GW2 hotel.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by gaugemew

Translation:  I'm glad there are entities willing to enforce my beliefs unto other people.

No. Translastion: Don't be a dick

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Damzilla
    It wasn't as offensive as much as it was stupid. Nothing personal against OP, but some general  guidelines should be followed, meaning we should be careful what we say, online or not.

I'm pretty sure any women that has been physically abused in the past would deem this seriously offensive.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• OnecrazyguyOnecrazyguy Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Originally posted by clbembry

I said something along the lines of:

"You know you're addicted to Guild Wars 2 when your father gets drunk and beats your mother."

Innappropriate? Yes. Deserving of a ban? Maybe. Does anyone know how long these bans last for?

EDIT: I'm not complaining that I'm banned. Just want to throw that out there. I'm take full responsibility for my actions.

EDIT2: Because someone wanted proof http://gyazo.com/32f0f2b7697022dd8bc93159d4629665.png?1345922249

Banned because your IQ didn't meet minimum specs?

• mike4fantasymike4fantasy Member UncommonPosts: 16

It's shame, and it's not apporiate for them to get you banned over the "freedom of speech" if you got this banned, I urge you to call UCLU for their censorship your freedom of speaking in the game. I get insult or bullied sometime  ...I don't whining or take their words, I put myself enjoy not to worry them, because they complain over that i don't take mumble .... well too bad get life and get learn to along with deaf gamer. PERIOD.

I would call up to get lawsuit against them, it would bring headache for them. They will lift your banned would happen works. 

Good luck!

• tomato_kwantomato_kwan Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by Hrimnir
    Originally posted by bookworm438
    Originally posted by Nikkita
    Originally posted by Fratman
    You got banned in GW2 for saying something silly like that? Wow, I'm glad I didn't buy the game. I'd probably last about 5 mins before I was banned too.

Yeah, seriously.

You know this game wasn't made by an american company because there is no fucking way they could term your service after buying a product for making an innapropriate joke.

Now, if they were simply banning you from the forums, i could see that, still a bit draconian IMO, but still i could see it.  But actually banning your account?  I'm pretty sure you'd be able to bring a lawsuit against them if you had wanted.

More....

/facepalms

Probably the only reason they would be able to get away with it is because it is not a sub based game.  If it were a sub based game then the us govt would define that as you paying for a service.  Now, a company has the right to deny service based on basically any reason they want, but they have to refund your money unless they provide that service.  So, facepalm all you want, but there was *some* validity to my statement.

now, would anyone actually try to bring a lawsuit over a $60 game? no, if they did they'd be an idiot, or just someone with too much money and too much time on their hands.  But the legal precedent would exist.

Um...all the courts agree that video games are a service. When you purchase a game, ANY GAME, you do not own the rights to that game. You purchase the ability to play said game. If said person breaches a companies terms of service, they have the right to terminate your service. Considering he had received the service (with BWE, and headstart) and used it, he is not entitled to a refund for being banned. 

Let me put it this way, he would have no case and the courts would laugh at him as he has to pay the legal fees associated with bringing a ridiculous lawsuit to court. He violated ArenaNet's terms of use, and is therefore able to be removed from said service. 

There is no validity to your statement.

Jesus christ you people have no idea how the law works in this country

Let me make it simple.  A company can make a ToS, and you can agree to it.  That does not make it LAW.

You can bring a lawsuit against that company and challenge it in court.  Now, as to your second point, is there a possibility it could be laughed out of court by the judge, yes.  It all depends on the reason for the lawsuit.

Example, if in the terms of service it says you will not willing exploit the game, and they have solid evidence that your participated in an exploit, or lets say hacked the service to your advantage.  Yes, you would get laughed out.  Now, if they had something ridiculous in their TOS like saying you can't use the words Blizzard, or World of Warcraft in our global chat channels.  You could easily challenge that in court.

Let me give you a real life example.   In Texas in 2009 a US district court ruled that an arbitration clause in blockbuster's ToS couldnt be upheld because Blockbuster included in their ToS that they reserved the right to change their ToS at any time for any reason.  The court ruled that blockbuster wasnt offering anything in exchange for the plaintiffs agreement to arbitrate.

Work in any industry that has to deal with regular lawsuits and you'll find that things like ToS's are basically worthless in court.  They're there to scare 99.9% of people away from actioning against it.

Once again, LAW =/= ToS

At least there is someone with a clue.

ToS isn't everything!

• clbembryclbembry Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Damzilla
    It wasn't as offensive as much as it was stupid. Nothing personal against OP, but some general  guidelines should be followed, meaning we should be careful what we say, online or not.

I'm pretty sure any women that has been physically abused in the past would deem this seriously offensive.

You can't just say that because the same could be said for any joke.

This discussion has been closed.