Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this the worst MMO launch of 2012?

Comments

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by jaserion
    Originally posted by IstrebiteI
    Lol, at least you CAN get in, i guess you're american, we europeans cannot play for 2 hours straight already....

that's not true.  i'm an american in nyc.  couldn't log on in the past 2 hours that i tried. 

It depends on where the server is, not where you are.

Most of my American friends playing in America are playing.   My American friends (and myself) who play in Europe because it works better for our schedules are not playing.   Instead we're waiting to play.  And definitely not crying about it.   We're all kind of old and life has given us richer perspectives so a minor bump in the road isn't going to make a difference.  I mean, let's face it, we have had, collectively, bad romances, bad marriages, custody battles, had at least one bankruptcy, family deaths, pet deaths, business collapses, a few robberies, computers shorting-out and catching on fire, multiple job losses and the whole host of things that go wrong in adult life.   

In a guild that was active in GW1 for six years confirming that we're solid fans and gamers and have played MMOs (including GW1)  (at least on-and-off) for long periods of time...   And having weathered all that...

What's losing a day or two really going to mean?   We might not get 'the name.'    Crap, except SWTOR, I NEVER got  even one 'the name' and if I went back, I would lose all of those 'the names' I did get.

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    Originally posted by kaiser3282
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts
    Originally posted by Preacher26

I logged in @ 12:00am EST (3 hours prior to official head start) and the game was running very smooth. Played for 3 hours and logged off. I had no issues at all.

Woke up to get back in and it seems the witch hunt is on. How do people not understand how launches work by now?

Even your beloved WoW had a ton of downtime at launch.

People are annoying.

+1

+2 the funniest part is all the people who are so "happy" to see GW2 having server issues... like some feel they "won" something. If i had to guess I'd say gw2 has more pre-purchases than swtor with less than half the servers... computers aren't magical things that are inpenetrable. You can tests something 100 times over and over with no issues and still have issues on the 101st time.. just how computers are anyone who works in the computer buisness knows you need patience.

Agreed. Its kind of entertaining how so many people have absolutely no understanding whatsoever how anything in the tech  world works. They just know stuff works, or doesnt work, but have no idea how it works or how many thousands of tiny little things can bring even an internal network to its knees. Its much much worse for things that are open to the public. They think theres some magical "Fix Everything" button that can be pushed rather than millions/billions of lines of coding to sort through, multiple databases, hardware that can crap out at any time through no fault of their own, etc.

From experience delays in getting failures fixed has actually less to do with technology, but rather the general incompetence of IT support teams.   I’ve lost count of the number of delays against recovery, which have been down to some server "expert" insisting its a network and firewall issue.  Only for it to turn out they couldn't be bothered to reboot a server, or run diagnostics on applications.

Unless there’s corruption, recoveries aren’t generally that complicated.  Buck passing resulting in teams having to prove its not their area is what usually causes the most delay.

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Originally posted by ViSioN_BCN
    Like all the game launches. Dont know why 2 years betatesting with free betatesters and thousand of them for what ? for that ?. Well is a new business dimension on how to thief  a customer wallet, no laws on internet and only their rules, impressive.

Ye shall NOT blaspheme against MMOJESUS!

Ye shall be smited by the angelic fanbois!

• JjixJjix Member UncommonPosts: 142
    The launch is painful, but not just because of the lag or the login issues . . . it is also painful because you have to watch  the GW2 community, once so mature and insightful, flooded by trolls and whiners . . . that is the most painful part of any launch, especially this one.
  • KzakKzak Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by Drafell

Technically this is headstart access - NOT launch day.

So you are saying it is going to get worse on the 28th?  Is this is a beta test for launch on the 28th?   

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    Originally posted by Nikkita
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by Calerxes
    Originally posted by Nikkita
    So i guess lessons are learned that it was not a good idea to flame every other MMO that released in past 2 years or so by GW2 fans.

Its known as... Poetic Justice.

I don't know how many other fans from other forums flamed GW2 for the past months either. It goes in all directions from everyone. In fact, if you look up at the heading it does say Guld Wars 2-General Discussion and look what is happening.

For the past 2 years or so that ihave been member of these forums i have seen almost every new release been ripped to shreds by GW2 fans. Not saying that others didn't flame GW2 but when one vists game forums for games like Tera, Swtor, Rift., TSW .and every other popular MMO forums  you see a pattern you can not ignore.

Yes haters in general were flaming these MMOS too but GW2 fans made special effort to stand out by making constant comparisons with GW2 every single time.

That is why you would see even a bigger  backlash becaue fans for all these games have been waiting for Anet to screw up so that they can have their last laugh.

yeah and before that games were getting shredded by fans of whatever game is coming out next. the flames aren't unique to gw2, dude. hell, they aren't even unique to mmos. everyone rips on everyone else. have done forever. people are absurdly territorial about crap like this. doesn't make it alright though.

i just think that it's a bit unfair to say that gw2 fans are satan incarnate/deserve this crap. no one deserves this. unfortunately the slavering hordes probably won't agree with me.

also it's not really a screw up. it's just launch.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Lucioon

I think we need to stop these HeadStart events that Companies gives to us. And also we need all the MMO companies to post that Disconnects and Server shut downs will be happening every hour until the Server is back up and will be taken down once again when problems occurs. We also need all the companies to write in BIG BOLD LETTERS that explains that every single launch will have an Service windown of 48 hours to ensure everyone gets to log in without issues. 

Then we also need them to Put up Video Blogs or Streams to show tell us in person that Pre-Purchases and Pre-Orders will not get any benefits for doing them, you get to start exactly at the same time as everyone else. 

Is this what everyone on these threads hoping for????

Because I don't !, I got Pre-purchase because I know I will like this game, I got in this morning and I still do like this game. I am happy that I get to register my character names, I am happy that I was able to finally experience GW2 on my own schedule without the need to rush during BWE. I am happy that Pre-purchasers gets to choose their home servers first before everyone else, that including the Pre-order people and before the official launch date. 

Will the removal of Pre-purchase bonuses really gonna satisfy you all that much?

You sir are bringing a level headed comment ripe with common sense to a hatefest feeding frenzy. Careful.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• BoldynBoldyn Member Posts: 265

I'd say this is the worst headstart I ever saw in August of 2012!

I mean I got home from my nightshift at work, logged in and played for an hour. Then I went to bed and slept like a baby.

Woke up, had a great breakfast and a coffee on the balcony. Came here for alot of laughs and a dose of ever declining hope for mankind when I read peoples whine. Looked outside, saw the sun and took my dog for a walk. A great day so far. Prolly gonna start a chilli on the stove for dinner.

It's called life, get one.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Calerxes

I logged in @ 12:00am EST (3 hours prior to official head start) and the game was running very smooth. Played for 3 hours and logged off. I had no issues at all.

Woke up to get back in and it seems the witch hunt is on. How do people not understand how launches work by now?

People are annoying.

+1

+2 the funniest part is all the people who are so "happy" to see GW2 having server issues... like some feel they "won" something. If i had to guess I'd say gw2 has more pre-purchases than swtor with less than half the servers... computers aren't magical things that are inpenetrable. You can tests something 100 times over and over with no issues and still have issues on the 101st time.. just how computers are anyone who works in the computer buisness knows you need patience.

Agreed. Its kind of entertaining how so many people have absolutely no understanding whatsoever how anything in the tech  world works. They just know stuff works, or doesnt work, but have no idea how it works or how many thousands of tiny little things can bring even an internal network to its knees. Its much much worse for things that are open to the public. They think theres some magical "Fix Everything" button that can be pushed rather than millions/billions of lines of coding to sort through, multiple databases, hardware that can crap out at any time through no fault of their own, etc.

Every fan of every launch uses this excuse when their game has problems and GW2 is having multiple problems thus the emotional outpouring. This was the game that was going to change the face of the MMO world and players cannot even play the game that they have paid for so I think people have every reason to bitch as much as they want.

Only those with a complete lack of common sense expected everything to go smooth with absolutely no server issues or bugs. The game itself is amazing, that wont change because of a few hours of downtime or a few bugs. Ive worked in IT for about a decade, and Ive been there through launches of lots of different things for some big companies. Even bringing up internal systems for a few hundred employees or a few thousand customers to use, you run into unexpected problems not only with that system itself, but impact on other systems that they tie to as well. Launching something like an MMO for millions of players is never ever going to go perfect, it doesnt matter who is working on it or how much time & money they put into it. People are acting like the games been down for days/weeks and theyre not working on it or something.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x

I agree. But I'm being pedantic.  This is pre-launch.  Lets see how well they do on the 28th.

Doesn't excuse the network failure of today, but the way I honestly see it is proof to how popular the game is... and thats just with pre-order people.  Imagine how crazy the 28th will be.

ANet I hope you guys can pull it off.  Keep thrusters at maximum... and give it everything she's got ;-)

Fortunately, there are plenty of other titles with an excess of used server blades available for resale.

They won't have to scramble to buy servers when there's no hardware even available to purchase, like Blizzard did in 2004.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,875
    May be GW 2 fans should have bitten their tongue more. Cause this is payback. Never boast about the game you like too much and put down others and often obnoxiously it comes back and bites you in the toosh. I am still waiting to get in says connection error. Will have to vote a yes  for this question.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by grapevine

People are annoying.

+1

From experience delays in getting failures fixed has actually less to do with technology, but rather the general incompetence of IT support teams.   I’ve lost count of the number of delays against recovery, which have been down to some server "expert" insisting its a network and firewall issue.  Only for it to turn out they couldn't be bothered to reboot a server, or run diagnostics on applications.

Unless there’s corruption, recoveries aren’t generally that complicated.  Buck passing resulting in teams having to prove its not their area is what usually causes the most delay.

could be but if an issue does come up and you have to swap out hardware, rebuild a database, transfer a backup ect ect these things take time

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• bendwc10bendwc10 Member UncommonPosts: 56
    I guess you could compare this headstart to like Black Friday at Walmart.  Theres really no preparing for what's going to go down.  You just have to let things chill down for a bit and get back in the game.  I think it's great to get a headstart for pre purchasing, but I paid no more than anyone else to get this opportunity.  I know the game will be around for a long time.  
  • pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

Well considering that GW2 had 9 million WoW players trying to login, it's no surprise that the servers went down.  Even WoW never had 9 million players logging in all at once.

Consider this a great victory for MMOs everywhere... GW2 has indeed surpassed the mighty giant in new players!  LOL, I love to see this, it proves that the game is indeed VERY popular not mere HYPE, but indeed POPULAR!

If a game doesn't crash at launch or headstart, it means they overestimated the user base... clearly even ArenaNet had no idea this many people would be logging on.  The numbers must be staggering... over 9 billion!

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Praetalus

So this is what pisses me right off. When TOR or TSW has a "head start" and has issues, people say that it's actually a failed launch, as early access is basically a staggered opening. When gw2, does it, they defend it saying that it's not a launch...  so no one should be bitching... gotta love double standards. 

lol.   I was in EGA.   I can't remember it being classified as a 'failed launch.'    It was routine praised as a successful launch.  Though there were the expect queues do to the 'new game rush.'

I'd like to see proof that it was, by a significant majority, actually considered a failed launch.   Failed game, yeah that's obvious.  But the launch was very good.  

Originally posted by ViSioN_BCN
    Like all the game launches. Dont know why 2 years betatesting with free betatesters and thousand of them for what ? for that ?. Well is a new business dimension on how to thief  a customer wallet, no laws on internet and only their rules, impressive.

Please just uninstall the game . . .

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Kzak

So you are saying it is going to get worse on the 28th?  Is this is a beta test for launch on the 28th?   

My bet is them opening more servers to appease the masses, and then when things settle down they will have to start closing and consolidating servers. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270

Yep.

But...but...it's so refreshing and innovative...RIGHT?

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647
    Originally posted by Boldyn

It's called life, get one.

What is this life you speak of? What level is it available? Do I have to raid for it?

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by Medicated03
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Not to be rude also but if you PAY EXTRA for a service like headstart , the price difference between the 2 is more than enough for them to cover costs of servers and such things,

Highlighted the relevant part in yellow. NO ONE payed more for head start. They just paid the same amount in advance.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    What a load of crap, my friends and I all played for 5 straight hours last night with few problems... and as people have said already, this isn't the LAUNCH.
  • ThebigbopperThebigbopper Member Posts: 114

They advertised the headstart as a bonus for prepurchasing the game, so i feel this does mean it is a really bad launch. I bet i was not the only one who put time aside to play it and could not.

Since i enjoy SWTOR and feel i can play both, it amuses me how the GW2 fanboys would come to the SWTOR forums and talk about how bad that game was at launch. 

To all the people saying this is not launch well lets see what happens when even more people start to want to play.......

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    This is easily the worst mmo launch of 2012. Some people call it the GW2 effect.
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by kitarad
    May be GW 2 fans should have bitten their tongue more. Cause this is payback. Never boast about the game you like too much and put down others and often obnoxiously it comes back and bites you in the toosh. I am still waiting to get in says connection error. Will have to vote a yes  for this question.

You seem to be confusing bad games vs technical issues.

Most people put down other games for being bad in various ways. Not "OMG that game had X hours of server downtime on launch". GW2 is still a better game than most of whats been coming out for years. Technical issues can be fixed. Horrible game design cant be, without completely reinventing the game into something else.

Originally posted by Kzak

My bet is them opening more servers to appease the masses, and then when things settle down they will have to start closing and consolidating servers. 

I sure hope you are wrong Amjo. Arenanet hasn't shown the tendency toward making quick fixes for short term gain (at the expense of the long term) so far, I'd be surprised if they did now . . . I suppose it depends on how bad it gets. My bet is rather that they find a way to increase the number of overflow servers.

Some players can make it feel as if it is much worse than it actually is because they start whining at volume 9/10 right from the start. But the reality is probably not so serious that it requires a bad decision.

This discussion has been closed.