Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this the worst MMO launch of 2012?

Comments

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647
    Originally posted by Medicated03
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Let's all cut the nonsense.

ANET sold this. It was what they offered. This happened in Beta. Everyone said "But it's Beta" giving ANET a free pass. Now it's happening in "Head Start" and yet again, I have to hear "But it's not a failed Launch" I don't care how you label it. ANET sold access their game for these events and did not deliver.

In fact, Head Start is ONLY 3 days and now one of them is compromised. After Launch, you can just be patient because then it's Launch, the up and down time happens, But that's not why people gave money to ANET before the release. THIS is why people gave money to ANET prior to release. These 3 days.

Personally, I'm not raging about no access, I can be patient. Eventually, the game will sort itself out, But really, It kinda bothers me that just because deep down inside, some people really really want to have this game succeed, they blind themselves to simple truths.

And this one is that ANET took money for something they FAILED to deliver.

That is still FAIL!

Not to be rude, but people need to use common sense. You only have a certain amount of servers and tens of thousands of people are rushing to login and play. It is impossible for it to work that way! 

You say then, "just add more servers"! Well that sounds awesome, but there are other things involved. Not only the money for the servers but the big fact is that once the population levels out, what happens to the playerbase on each server? What next then? Well you have to then start shutting down and combining servrers. Players get upset, you lose money from the initial server setup and everyone loses. Or, here is the sensible thing, you project what you need in a week or two, and work from there. 

Not to be rude also but if you PAY EXTRA for a service like headstart , the price difference between the 2 is more than enough for them to cover costs of servers and such things, the ammount of "omg GW2"  funny ass defences coming out is cool to read to kill time.....its 2012 comparing this to vanilla WoW launch is stupid for many reasons but as far as i can remember there was no "headstart" for that either, no one paid for 3 days of acess prior to the official "launch".

This is not the only popular MMO to have ever launched...It is however the worst  "headstart" ive ever seen..... Aion at launch time was super popular and the headstart was almost flawless, tera also had large numbers for headstart and had almost no issues im sure there were plenty more in the last 24 months, at the end of the day they had sale projections for a long time and they let everyone who paid for headstart down, defending this fact is silly :D so is basing anythign much of a launch as these days so many games burn out 12 weeks from launch the actual launch seems pretty irrelevant, defenders of the realms put away your keyboards and accept the FACT that they didnt deliver what was paid for, your game still exists its lifespan hasnt changed by a poor launch just Anets rep got a little less shiny

Nobody paid "extra" for headstart. You paid the same price as you would should you have bought it after the 28th. That price set in the digital store is the price set for the next few months. It's not any special price for "beta". You could have purchased the box and gotten it for cheaper.

Aion wasn't as "popular" as GW2. And last time I checked, Aion also had it's fair share of launch problems. And Tera had already been released in Asia for a while when it launched in the US. So it wasn't a world wide release like GW2 is. Every MMO has problems at launch. No MMO can anticipate how many players are going to try and get in at launch. And yes, headstart is launch.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts
    Originally posted by Preacher26

I logged in @ 12:00am EST (3 hours prior to official head start) and the game was running very smooth. Played for 3 hours and logged off. I had no issues at all.

Woke up to get back in and it seems the witch hunt is on. How do people not understand how launches work by now?

Even your beloved WoW had a ton of downtime at launch.

People are annoying.

+1

+2 the funniest part is all the people who are so "happy" to see GW2 having server issues... like some feel they "won" something. If i had to guess I'd say gw2 has more pre-purchases than swtor with less than half the servers... computers aren't magical things that are inpenetrable. You can tests something 100 times over and over with no issues and still have issues on the 101st time.. just how computers are anyone who works in the computer buisness knows you need patience.

Agreed. Its kind of entertaining how so many people have absolutely no understanding whatsoever how anything in the tech  world works. They just know stuff works, or doesnt work, but have no idea how it works or how many thousands of tiny little things can bring even an internal network to its knees. Its much much worse for things that are open to the public. They think theres some magical "Fix Everything" button that can be pushed rather than millions/billions of lines of coding to sort through, multiple databases, hardware that can crap out at any time through no fault of their own, etc.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648

Think you guys need to RELAX abit, holy shit it's a game boohoo I can't play ....right now who f**ken cares, play when it's back up, thats what I'm going to do.  The game isn't going anywhere literaly ,complaining left right and center isn't going to get it up faster.

P.S Actualy I do find the F2P in three months funny , because I can't tell you how many times that is brought up in every other game , but somehow somewhere GW2 is untouchable when it comes to the snarky remarks, and you know what , it's a JOKE lighten the hell up LOL it's already F2P imagine if it wasn't ohhh shit.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by FlawSGI

This is a question of accountability. And this community isn't going to make it better. By not holding ANET accountable, We are making it OK for the next company to come along and take a squat in our Corn Flakes and then try to charge us for the added content.
    Case and point.

The point is.....I'm not so much upset that the servers are down.
    It happens. I get it.

What bothers me is they happily took money for this for months so that we could have this time because we gave them money and more or less put our faith in them.

If they had made this stuff an added bonus. I'd be totally fine with this. But it's not. It was sold as a package deal.

Sure and I don't disagree with anyone who is not happy at the moment, hell I surely am not. But to expect the launch to be as smooth as a baby backside and start screeming accountability and all that because of a hiccup on opnening morning is where I take pause. You paid good money and are entitled to your feelings, I am just trying to point out that the mass hysteria seems a little misplaced all the while those that are foaming at the mouth to see the game fail are on cloud 9 and it's not really about the games delivery, more about the communities reaction. It's a very sad and gloomy around here.

Lauches in the past 4 years have been decent Aion, Rift, SW:TOR, STO, CO, Darkfall with none of them having to take down the servers for multiple hours thus making this the worst of the bunch so far, because of this people are going to annoyed aren't they?

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• GoodAfternoonGoodAfternoon Member UncommonPosts: 252

Calling a headstart not a launch is stupid.

It's a launch.

And people saying every mmo launches poorly are wrong too. Rift had an awesome launch. 

Rift

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Guess some didnt catch this thread less than 24 hours ago so I'll repost.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/361883

pay special attention to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsqUZkmO-zk  because while I thought it was hilarious, it seems to fit the mood this morning.

I can't wait to see Francis do a rage video on Login Wars 2. x3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2szTEHgqZXY <- The SWTOR launch rage.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Originally posted by Method01
    with this launch, the game will go f2p with 3 months....................................................... ooh wait..

And this nonsense is old, it's not helping and it's not funny.

you know what's not helping? any of this. any of the 5000 threads that have started up about the server problems. any of the flame wars raging on this site. none of this is helping. you could go stick bananas in your ears and do a jig and it would help as much. so yeah. get off your high horse, man.

oh also, it is kinda funny. yeah.

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    In Sweden the game with headstart is 15 euros more than the game without headstart. So I paid 15euros extra for these 3 days.
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

I logged in @ 12:00am EST (3 hours prior to official head start) and the game was running very smooth. Played for 3 hours and logged off. I had no issues at all.

Woke up to get back in and it seems the witch hunt is on. How do people not understand how launches work by now?

People are annoying.

+1

+2 the funniest part is all the people who are so "happy" to see GW2 having server issues... like some feel they "won" something. If i had to guess I'd say gw2 has more pre-purchases than swtor with less than half the servers... computers aren't magical things that are inpenetrable. You can tests something 100 times over and over with no issues and still have issues on the 101st time.. just how computers are anyone who works in the computer buisness knows you need patience.

Agreed. Its kind of entertaining how so many people have absolutely no understanding whatsoever how anything in the tech  world works. They just know stuff works, or doesnt work, but have no idea how it works or how many thousands of tiny little things can bring even an internal network to its knees. Its much much worse for things that are open to the public. They think theres some magical "Fix Everything" button that can be pushed rather than millions/billions of lines of coding to sort through, multiple databases, hardware that can crap out at any time through no fault of their own, etc.

Exacly , but you can use that argument in other game forums as well, however, I don't see post like that only here. Either way GW2 is a fantastic game , and I played fine most of my night level 11 already. Woot.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by GeezerGamer   Originally posted by FlawSGI Originally posted by GeezerGamer  
        This is a question of accountability. And this community isn't going to make it better. By not holding ANET accountable, We are making it OK for the next company to come along and take a squat in our Corn Flakes and then try to charge us for the added content.
    Case and point.
      The point is.....I'm not so much upset that the servers are down. It happens. I get it. What bothers me is they happily took money for this for months so that we could have this time because we gave them money and more or less put our faith in them. If they had made this stuff an added bonus. I'd be totally fine with this. But it's not. It was sold as a package deal.
    Sure and I don't disagree with anyone who is not happy at the moment, hell I surely am not. But to expect the launch to be as smooth as a baby backside and start screeming accountability and all that because of a hiccup on opnening morning is where I take pause. You paid good money and are entitled to your feelings, I am just trying to point out that the mass hysteria seems a little misplaced all the while those that are foaming at the mouth to see the game fail are on cloud 9 and it's not really about the games delivery, more about the communities reaction. It's a very sad and gloomy around here.

Sure....And I agree with everything you said.
    I'm not trying to form a lynch mob because I can't log into my game. As I said, I am patient about that. And also, I have all the faith in the world that ANET is not sitting around on a SAT morning popping donut holes and coffee laughing their ARSES off at the MMORPG posts. No, I can imagine the S^&T storm going on over there.

I am trying to make a point that we as the consumer have to stop defending companies where they do not deserve it. And people still need to realize every time some company fails to deliver what they charge money for, and get a free pass, that's a green light for the next guy to come along and repeat it.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsqUZkmO-zk

Francis is now, officially, the gamer I plan envisioning for every DOOOOOM post I read for the day.

Sadly his respons to some feedback on his video also fits here. I can't tell if the guy is mentally handicapped, or a prophet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I81Kr_y0bA&feature=relmfu

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by Calerxes
    Originally posted by Nikkita
    So i guess lessons are learned that it was not a good idea to flame every other MMO that released in past 2 years or so by GW2 fans.

Its known as... Poetic Justice.

I don't know how many other fans from other forums flamed GW2 for the past months either. It goes in all directions from everyone. In fact, if you look up at the heading it does say Guld Wars 2-General Discussion and look what is happening.

For the past 2 years or so that ihave been member of these forums i have seen almost every new release been ripped to shreds by GW2 fans. Not saying that others didn't flame GW2 but when one vists game forums for games like Tera, Swtor, Rift., TSW .and every other popular MMO forums  you see a pattern you can not ignore.

Yes haters in general were flaming these MMOS too but GW2 fans made special effort to stand out by making constant comparisons with GW2 every single time.

That is why you would see even a bigger  backlash becaue fans for all these games have been waiting for Anet to screw up so that they can have their last laugh.

Bite Me

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

People are annoying.

+1

Every fan of every launch uses this excuse when their game has problems and GW2 is having multiple problems thus the emotional outpouring. This was the game that was going to change the face of the MMO world and players cannot even play the game that they have paid for so I think people have every reason to bitch as much as they want.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

Well they made some progress. Can log into GW1 again and the GW2 account page is back up.

They also tweeted they were still working on the problem a few min ago.

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Svarcanum
    In Sweden the game with headstart is 15 euros more than the game without headstart. So I paid 15euros extra for these 3 days.

Well your getting what you paid for.

Did you not know there are downtimes during mmo launches? First timer?

always the same.

Originally posted by atticusbc

Originally posted by Method01 with this launch, the game will go f2p with 3 months....................................................... ooh wait..
    you know what's not helping? any of this. any of the 5000 threads that have started up about the server problems. any of the flame wars raging on this site. none of this is helping. you could go stick bananas in your ears and do a jig and it would help as much. so yeah. get off your high horse, man.

The joke is old. It's not funny anymore.

• ViSioN_BCNViSioN_BCN Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Like all the game launches. Dont know why 2 years betatesting with free betatesters and thousand of them for what ? for that ?. Well is a new business dimension on how to thief  a customer wallet, no laws on internet and only their rules, impressive.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Medicated03

Let's all cut the nonsense.

ANET sold this. It was what they offered. This happened in Beta. Everyone said "But it's Beta" giving ANET a free pass. Now it's happening in "Head Start" and yet again, I have to hear "But it's not a failed Launch" I don't care how you label it. ANET sold access their game for these events and did not deliver.

In fact, Head Start is ONLY 3 days and now one of them is compromised. After Launch, you can just be patient because then it's Launch, the up and down time happens, But that's not why people gave money to ANET before the release. THIS is why people gave money to ANET prior to release. These 3 days.

Personally, I'm not raging about no access, I can be patient. Eventually, the game will sort itself out, But really, It kinda bothers me that just because deep down inside, some people really really want to have this game succeed, they blind themselves to simple truths.

And this one is that ANET took money for something they FAILED to deliver.

That is still FAIL!

Not to be rude, but people need to use common sense. You only have a certain amount of servers and tens of thousands of people are rushing to login and play. It is impossible for it to work that way! 

You say then, "just add more servers"! Well that sounds awesome, but there are other things involved. Not only the money for the servers but the big fact is that once the population levels out, what happens to the playerbase on each server? What next then? Well you have to then start shutting down and combining servrers. Players get upset, you lose money from the initial server setup and everyone loses. Or, here is the sensible thing, you project what you need in a week or two, and work from there. 

Not to be rude also but if you PAY EXTRA for a service like headstart , the price difference between the 2 is more than enough for them to cover costs of servers and such things, the ammount of "omg GW2"  funny ass defences coming out is cool to read to kill time.....its 2012 comparing this to vanilla WoW launch is stupid for many reasons but as far as i can remember there was no "headstart" for that either, no one paid for 3 days of acess prior to the official "launch".

This is not the only popular MMO to have ever launched...It is however the worst  "headstart" ive ever seen..... Aion at launch time was super popular and the headstart was almost flawless, tera also had large numbers for headstart and had almost no issues im sure there were plenty more in the last 24 months, at the end of the day they had sale projections for a long time and they let everyone who paid for headstart down, defending this fact is silly :D so is basing anythign much of a launch as these days so many games burn out 12 weeks from launch the actual launch seems pretty irrelevant, defenders of the realms put away your keyboards and accept the FACT that they didnt deliver what was paid for, your game still exists its lifespan hasnt changed by a poor launch just Anets rep got a little less shiny

Aion had major server consolidations that folks complained about.  No one will ever be happy. I for one would rather wait a few days and let things settle down rather than having to do the "choose a new server" routine. :)  Bringing up Tera does not help your discussion point at all, since for one it didn't have the numbers, and two it is a niche game.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by atticusbc

Originally posted by Method01 with this launch, the game will go f2p with 3 months....................................................... ooh wait..

Dude, the joke is old. No, it's not funny anymore.

actualy ...it is LOL

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

After 18 years of Mo's and  headstarts and failed first day launches i just don't bother that much anymore ,and as this is B2P don't give a monkeys really and only brought it for the Beta access though the in game band is nice to have.

Really sad thing shitbin OP threads like this will garner loads of  posts,I despair for people and there way of thinking at times image

p>
  • seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by Connmacart

Well they made some progress. Can log into GW1 again and the GW2 account page is back up.

They also tweeted they were still working on the problem a few min ago.

I can finally see my HOM (the webpage, not inside Guild Wars 2 :P)

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Adiaris

Probably so far yep.

I'm a huge GW2 fan (just check my history), but this is not a smooth launch by any stretch of the immagination (and it is a launch, enough with this headstart BS, you paid up to 4 months early upfront for it).

Now, I had a great 5+ hours this am (I'm in Europe) where I had an ABSOLUTE blast. But even then you could tell it was very shaky, some examples: (bolds are directly experienced, others are from heavy reports in my guild etc)

- Up to 10minute lag in chat

- HoM totally borked up (apparently some peeps guested to US servers from Europe to get their items)

- Forums borked

- Account Mgmt completely screwed (random wierd login problems galore)

- DCs

- lag & skill lag

- bugs breaking DEs

- bugs on Skill point challenges making them uncompletable 

- SPVP not working

- WvW messed up (points etc.)

- And now ofc 2hrs of login server being down and I client not even able to update. 

The one thing that was amazing (for me, even then I'm sure mileage varied wildly) was performance. My FPS was great.

I feared this would happen as it seemed the stress tests got worse and worse, and I don't believe any company anymore when they say "oh but it'll be a totally different experience at launch", and some systems looked like they were implemented at the last second (mainly acct mgmt stuff). 

Do I even really care? Not really, the game is amazing. I spent 3hrs just running around Lion's Arch (100% completion, yeh!) and talking to NPCs and discovering hidden wonderful details. It's just that good. But please let's stop saying this is a successful launch because Arenanet... YOU WERE NOT PREPARED! ;)

Now let me in pls, I have a Mesmer to level!

I agree. But I'm being pedantic.  This is pre-launch.  Lets see how well they do on the 28th.

Doesn't excuse the network failure of today, but the way I honestly see it is proof to how popular the game is... and thats just with pre-order people.  Imagine how crazy the 28th will be.

ANet I hope you guys can pull it off.  Keep thrusters at maximum... and give it everything she's got ;-)

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Hm, we are unable to play gw1 too
  • LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

Case and point.
      The point is.....I'm not so much upset that the servers are down. It happens. I get it. What bothers me is they happily took money for this for months so that we could have this time because we gave them money and more or less put our faith in them. If they had made this stuff an added bonus. I'd be totally fine with this. But it's not. It was sold as a package deal.

Sure....And I agree with everything you said.
    I'm not trying to form a lynch mob because I can't log into my game. As I said, I am patient about that. And also, I have all the faith in the world that ANET is not sitting around on a SAT morning popping donut holes and coffee laughing their ARSES off at the MMORPG posts. No, I can imagine the S^&T storm going on over there.

I am trying to make a point that we as the consumer have to stop defending companies where they do not deserve it. And people still need to realize every time some company fails to deliver what they charge money for, and get a free pass, that's a green light for the next guy to come along and repeat it.

I think we need to stop these HeadStart events that Companies gives to us. And also we need all the MMO companies to post that Disconnects and Server shut downs will be happening every hour until the Server is back up and will be taken down once again when problems occurs. We also need all the companies to write in BIG BOLD LETTERS that explains that every single launch will have an Service windown of 48 hours to ensure everyone gets to log in without issues. 

Then we also need them to Put up Video Blogs or Streams to show tell us in person that Pre-Purchases and Pre-Orders will not get any benefits for doing them, you get to start exactly at the same time as everyone else. 

Is this what everyone on these threads hoping for????

Because I don't !, I got Pre-purchase because I know I will like this game, I got in this morning and I still do like this game. I am happy that I get to register my character names, I am happy that I was able to finally experience GW2 on my own schedule without the need to rush during BWE. I am happy that Pre-purchasers gets to choose their home servers first before everyone else, that including the Pre-order people and before the official launch date. 

Will the removal of Pre-purchase bonuses really gonna satisfy you all that much?

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

Originally posted by Aeolron
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer   Originally posted by atticusbc Originally posted by GeezerGamer Originally posted by Method01 with this launch, the game will go f2p with 3 months....................................................... ooh wait..
    you know what's not helping? any of this. any of the 5000 threads that have started up about the server problems. any of the flame wars raging on this site. none of this is helping. you could go stick bananas in your ears and do a jig and it would help as much. so yeah. get off your high horse, man.   oh also, it is kinda funny. yeah.
      Dude, the joke is old. No, it's not funny anymore.
    actualy ...it is LOL

Well then, it should be easy enough to cut n paste it into your Window's screen saver. Then you can set the timer for 1 minute and you can sit there and stare at your blank computer screen all day and laugh your arses off.

This discussion has been closed.