Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this the worst MMO launch of 2012?

Comments

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer
    Originally posted by korent1991
    This isn't launch... It's early access... So yeah :D

Considering nowadays the majority of players seems to pay extra to be there early instead of later with mmos, this might aswell be the actual launch.

OP, since i'm playing, can't comment on it, but i will agree on the fact that i'm suprised that these problems are showing up with so many stress tests. I know no amount of testing can prepare fully, but i was seriously shocked wih even that last one right before headstart.

I never really believe some higher degree of problems could be occur. They do have the pre-order numbers after all.

I'm not . Its just theres more people playing than in the stress tests . Not all factors can be anticipated . Give them a chance they will sort it out . 

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Let's all cut the nonsense.

ANET sold this. It was what they offered. This happened in Beta. Everyone said "But it's Beta" giving ANET a free pass. Now it's happening in "Head Start" and yet again, I have to hear "But it's not a failed Launch" I don't care how you label it. ANET sold access their game for these events and did not deliver.

In fact, Head Start is ONLY 3 days and now one of them is compromised. After Launch, you can just be patient because then it's Launch, the up and down time happens, But that's not why people gave money to ANET before the release. THIS is why people gave money to ANET prior to release. These 3 days.

Personally, I'm not raging about no access, I can be patient. Eventually, the game will sort itself out, But really, It kinda bothers me that just because deep down inside, some people really really want to have this game succeed, they blind themselves to simple truths.

And this one is that ANET took money for something they FAILED to deliver.

That is still FAIL!

Actually it didn't happen in beta (except for stress tests, which are designed to break stuff). The BWE all ran like butter.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by NetSage
    All these posts about it not being a launch piss me off.  It's a god-damn launch when a majority of your initial players are already playing IMO.  I mean sure they may need to open up another server(2 at the most) for the 28th but most people who planned on playing the game are playing this weekend.  Thus IMO it's a launch and it's failure.  If any other game did this you would be up in arms.

The nerds are up in arms! It is certainly a contributing reason to the GW2 support forums going down and the heavy lag on this site.  You would think that the Mayans mis-calculated by 4 months :)

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

ANET sold this. It was what they offered. This happened in Beta. Everyone said "But it's Beta" giving ANET a free pass. Now it's happening in "Head Start" and yet again, I have to hear "But it's not a failed Launch" I don't care how you label it. ANET sold access their game for these events and did not deliver.

In fact, Head Start is ONLY 3 days and now one of them is compromised. After Launch, you can just be patient because then it's Launch, the up and down time happens, But that's not why people gave money to ANET before the release. THIS is why people gave money to ANET prior to release. These 3 days.

Personally, I'm not raging about no access, I can be patient. Eventually, the game will sort itself out, But really, It kinda bothers me that just because deep down inside, some people really really want to have this game succeed, they blind themselves to simple truths.

That is still FAIL!

+1

Bite Me

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by oti32123
    [mod edit]

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Tardcore

Yep! Tardcore, you do get the last laugh on this one.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Well it's the worst one is the few last years, that's for sure. TERA, SW:TOR etc were much better and they did have some issues. Here I cannot even log into my account page (EU).

Heck, I cannot even CONNECT in the last hour and I keep trying every 5 minutes. LOL. I am probably contributing to the problem!

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    People need to understand, and I'm sure the reasonable do, that Anet could have setup 1000 servers for example, we wouldn't have this problem of logging in. So, when the population levels out, then they have to start removing servers and combining them because of the simple fact there aren't enough people to support all those servers. I for one hated this in other games, it's no fun having your world combined with another.  

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I played for 5 hours last night, sucks they are having issues right now, but I'm sure it'll be back online in a bit...

CALM DOWN.

This right here folks. I got in out of the gate last night, played a few hours that were, for me at least, lag-free and incredibly smooth. I noticed quite a few new events added in the Asura starting area that weren't in the BWE, which made me giddy. Finally had to sleep...

Hang in there.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by tordurbar

The nerds are up in arms! It is certainly a contributing reason to the GW2 support forums going down and the heavy lag on this site.  You would think that the Mayans mis-calculated by 4 months :)

I wasn't sure if that was because of this or not.  The GW2 site has been failing for me all week.  And, I was more targetting the people here (because  there have been a decent amount) who are to much of fanboys to see a real issue with the launch.

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381

Probably so far yep.

I'm a huge GW2 fan (just check my history), but this is not a smooth launch by any stretch of the immagination (and it is a launch, enough with this headstart BS, you paid up to 4 months early upfront for it).

Now, I had a great 5+ hours this am (I'm in Europe) where I had an ABSOLUTE blast. But even then you could tell it was very shaky, some examples: (bolds are directly experienced, others are from heavy reports in my guild etc)

- Up to 10minute lag in chat

- HoM totally borked up (apparently some peeps guested to US servers from Europe to get their items)

- Forums borked

- Account Mgmt completely screwed (random wierd login problems galore)

- DCs

- lag & skill lag

- bugs breaking DEs

- bugs on Skill point challenges making them uncompletable 

- SPVP not working

- WvW messed up (points etc.)

- And now ofc 2hrs of login server being down and I client not even able to update. 

The one thing that was amazing (for me, even then I'm sure mileage varied wildly) was performance. My FPS was great.

I feared this would happen as it seemed the stress tests got worse and worse, and I don't believe any company anymore when they say "oh but it'll be a totally different experience at launch", and some systems looked like they were implemented at the last second (mainly acct mgmt stuff). 

Do I even really care? Not really, the game is amazing. I spent 3hrs just running around Lion's Arch (100% completion, yeh!) and talking to NPCs and discovering hidden wonderful details. It's just that good. But please let's stop saying this is a successful launch because Arenanet... YOU WERE NOT PREPARED! ;)

Now let me in pls, I have a Mesmer to level!

So i guess lessons are learned that it was not a good idea to flame every other MMO that released in past 2 years or so by GW2 fans.

Bite Me

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Well it's the worst one is the few last years, that's for sure. TERA, SW:TOR etc were much better and they did have some issues. Here I cannot even log into my account page (EU).

Its easier to do with a playerbase of 73 people.

Just sayin. Obviously an exaggeration but you get the point?

In the last two days they sold way more copies than they expected. Lots of last minute buyers. They just need some offiical announcements on their site. I refuse to jump to twitter/facebook for game updates.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Man the sense of entitlement is hysterical. The games been up for 9 hours now and I played for 5 of them earlier before getting off for sleep and I pop in to see someone claiming this is the worst launch of 2012? I won't claim it was a perfect start because I wasn't able to join up with the wife when she was on, but lets try to keep the rage to a rational level. I don't know how long the game has been busted, but I know I got plenty of playtime and it was sweet. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814
    Originally posted by Tardcore

yes indeed!  i have no plans of even playing this game ..but all this is ...well ....

• KhondorKhondor Member UncommonPosts: 51
    It hasn't launched yet genius.  They have head starts like this so they can work out the bugs BEFORE the actual launch date.
  • TafaleTafale Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Originally posted by oti32123

- The worst of all is: They did SO MANY stress tests / beta weekends to ensure a smooth launch. 

I saw it more as concerning with so many stress tests and especially right up to launch. It seemed like panic from the developer's side. You will probably say hindsight is 20/20 but it was a concern.

Originally posted by Khondor
    It hasn't launched yet genius.  They have head starts like this so they can work out the bugs BEFORE the actual launch date.

Lol and it continues........

Bite Me

Originally posted by Preacher26
    Originally posted by Yamota Well it's the worst one is the few last years, that's for sure. TERA, SW:TOR etc were much better and they did have some issues. Here I cannot even log into my account page (EU).
    Its easier to do with a playerbase of 73 people.

Just sayin. Obviously an exaggeration but you get the point?

In the last two days they sold way more copies than they expected. Lots of last minute buyers. They just need some offiical announcements on their site. I refuse to jump to twitter/facebook for game updates.

Yes, because hyperbole is a very effective form of presenting factual information.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by bookworm438

That is still FAIL!

Actually it didn't happen in beta (except for stress tests, which are designed to break stuff). The BWE all ran like butter.

Really... Obviously BWE are going to run well, they are controlled environments. Stess Tests are not designed to break stuff, there designed to see how far your servers can be pushed before they start breaking things. They couldn't handle the load on the stress tests, ANET new this was going to happen just from those. 

Be blind fanboi. Be blind. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

DOOOOOOOOM 

GLOOOOOM

PAAAIIIIIN

FAILLLUUUUUURE

There you got your daily dose, haters.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

Genius, They have head starts so they can take your money in advance.

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

Genius, They have head starts so they can take your money in advance.

hahahahahahahahahaha

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    Why do you think they were having those extra stress tests right before launch, hmmmm ? They knew it wasn't going to be pretty and released it anyway. 

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Please tell me you are joking.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

This discussion has been closed.