Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this the worst MMO launch of 2012?

Comments

• GMan33GMan33 Member UncommonPosts: 79

PROS

Well at exactly 12:00 AM EST i logged in last night, so id say that was pretty awesome

I was able to fly through 4 character creations and grab names, all smooth, quick, no problem

I was able to play last night for 3 hours until i went to bed, no queues, disconnects, lag, choppiness.

CONS

I got stuck in a repeatable tutorial mission, i had to kill the boss 4 times, and still would not zone me into the main zone. I had to relog and come back, beat it one more time, and finally got zoned out of the tutorial zone after the final boss.

I could not play with my buddy because we got thrown in "overflow" servers and could not be in the same instance because of the mass amount of people

This morning servers are down

Overall

This is not that bad of a PRE LAUNCH, i was able to accomplish my main goals of getting in right away, get my names, and play. Beyond that, well, few days of hiccup is not the end of the world

The server i picked was also the most packed one, it was full, take a guess.

• SimonVDHSimonVDH Member Posts: 178
  • suckm3suckm3 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Originally posted by Lucioon
    Originally posted by lickm3
    Originally posted by Lucioon
    Originally posted by lickm3
    there you go with your overhyped shit .. muhahaha

guess the server is fully back up now so the forums will be very quiet now, but don't worry, I will still be here to read the forums since I am stuck at work. 

I'm glad to hear it ! At least we can chat together while everyone is trying to log into that fail game which is copy of aion/wow/tera. 

you do know that WOW still have over 8 millions of players and TERA and AION also have a big following. I really do hope ANET gets atleast 3 or more millions of boxes sold. For the 3 hours that I played this morning, its definitely a fun game. 

Well, I bought the game by my self and took me only few hours to get boring of it. There is nothing new. Oh yeah " events" pretty awesome ..not. I've seen that already in f2p games like perfect world or how it was called .. Dodge /aiming thats tera already. So wondering what kind of NEW thing have this game. Really wish I could get my money back. 

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”? -Albert Einstein 

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Well it hasn't LAUNCHED yet so fail topic is fail.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Lydon
    Well it hasn't LAUNCHED yet so fail topic is fail.

Please let them enjoy their hollow moment of glory... all those months of not being able to lessen the quality of the game through sheer force of will, right now they must be positively orgasmic.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

Personally speaking it's been the 2nd worst Launch, Anarchy Online was and shall ever be eteched in my memory.

I know that GW2 is a good game, but there have literally been hundreds of MMO's released over the years, developers supposedly learn something from each new one that hits the market, sure you get a glitch here and there, but accessibilty should not be one of them, it's one of the things that is really really going to upset your playerbase the most, seeing that login page and knowing that the damn thing isn't going to let you in no matter what, now thats annoying.

Anyway I really do wish I had waited, guess that was my own fault for believing all the hype that this was some kind of Holy Grail of MMO's, I should have known better and listened to my brain and not my heart.

• tom229tom229 Member Posts: 8

I'd say so. Trying to buy the game I kept getting a 502 bad gateway. I resubmitted 3 times before I noticed the light on my phone indicating I had new emails. Sure enough, registration actually went through and has charged me 3 times and given me 3 serial keys. 

Furthermore, I tried to register the 1st key and it thew another error. Now it tells me the key is already registered so I get no opportunity to create an account.

Support ticket in.... guess I'll wait.....

• SurfriderSurfrider Member UncommonPosts: 302

Creating alt accounts to simply troll is kind of frowned upon.  Apologies for all the edits people.

Happy gaming today!

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    I got the headstart email saying I was able to log in and start playing now and I don't even own the game lol

No signature, I don't have a pen

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380
    I don't know what these people are blabbering about.  I haven't had a SINGLE problem getting into or playing this game at any time since the servers went up.  What planet are you on???
  • MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I logged in right at midnight EST and created 5 characters and then played one for a couple hours without any issues on Tarnished Coast. Then I fell asleep. Woke up and read about major issues and downtime, etrc... logged in fine and have been playing since. But still, people seem to having pretty big issues and ArenaNet should have been better prepared. It's not theire first multiplayer game and the industry is not an infant anymore.

I really love this game, but I can't cut them any slack on big issues like some are reporting, assuming they are real issues.

I know what it's like to be the one having problems and being told "No issues here, must be you!", and that sucks.

Hpoefully they get it all straightened out for everyone soon. And now back to playing.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by gravesworn
    Why do people flip out over something like this? Go to the gym. Go eat breakfast and login in later. Lol.

Overall yes that is what any sane person should do, without any doubt. If one can't you are unstable and a dork.

That said, this is like sport, we watch and rank. To those that say "all the rest launch like this", hey if that makes you sleep better good for you, but you're fooling yourself. Their first game launced pefectly, no reason not to remember that and there have been several since that launched well and launches have been improving as we know to.

To say this isn't launch and just head start. You again are living a lie. It's live, the characters are for keeps, they do this so it's not even a bigger cluster come those who didn't pre-order. Seriously, are you unable to call a spade a spade? With my somewhat pointed view I don't wish harm on Arena Net, just calling balls balls and strikes strikes.

It's a rough start, you could see it coming because we've all been there done it. Many of us have programed to some extent. You know you dont' want to be going live on anything with patches and tests happening days and hours before launch that are really untested and you have a in-stone live date. That is not good. That is living by the seat of your pants. That covers all programming ever done.

This one wil have some egg on their face AND IT SHOULD. They didn't live up to their promises of when they would release their game. Some force pushed them into launch and we probably know who.... Give me an "N", give me a "C"....

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by SimonVDH

I love you SO MUCH! :p

BTW: can someone enlighten me on HOW these guys that are whining about "I payed extra for the headstart!!" managed to do that?

I prepurchased from Amazon in Germany and had the games code at the 7th april in my hands for exact 49€.

The Preorder and the Release versions costs EXACTLY the same price with the difference that:

-  the preorder gets the one day headstart and a digital item extra FOR FREE

- the prepurchase version gets a 3 days headstart and a digital item (heroes band is what I got) FOR FREE aswell!

In my opinion they either doesn't aknowledge that they purchased the digital deluxe version that gives them all the extra goodies(bank golem and the other digital items) and costs more because of that

OR

they purchased it by a retailer that ripped them off by selling the game for a higher price so HE can take advantage of his costumers for the prepurchase (not ANet).

Anyway... back to the game again! Have a nice day! ^_^ 

• MisarisMisaris Member Posts: 140
     it's obviously not the best launch... lol
  • eGumballeGumball Member Posts: 151
    WoW had simliar issues via launch and it is now the biggest title in the world. Haters, who are hoping Guild Wars 2 to fail because of this, will get a big facepalm soon ;)
  • MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    Originally posted by eGumball
    WoW had simliar issues via launch and it is now the biggest title in the world. Haters, who are hoping Guild Wars 2 to fail because of this, will get a big facepalm soon ;)

WoW is a freak of naure, an exception to the rule. No other mmo has been able to recover from horrific launches.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

Originally posted by Mephster

WoW is a freak of naure, an exception to the rule. No other mmo has been able to recover from horrific launches.

The success or failure of GW2 is going to have nothing to do with problems during a headstart.  I know it's nice to want to say "I told you so" but no one's going to care about these issues in a few days.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Mephster

The success or failure of GW2 is going to have nothing to do with problems during a headstart.  I know it's nice to want to say "I told you so" but no one's going to care about these issues in a few days.

Lets see when people run out of content because they rushed to max level in less than a month. Believe me, this is only the beginning of issues to come. GW2 will have much larger concerns heading their way.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• clunningclunning Member Posts: 25

200+ replies to a troll post.....

That being said.... everyone needs to chill out for a bit. Its only the first day of headstart. Did you honestly think it was going to be perfect and flawless? If the downtime exceeds 12 hours then I would say we have a problem, but it hasnt escalated to that level yet. Stop the speculation....

Originally posted by clun7

200+ replies to a troll post.....

That being said.... everyone needs to chill out for a bit. Its only the first day of headstart. Did you honestly think it was going to be perfect and flawless? If the downtime exceeds 12 hours then I would say we have a problem, but it hasnt escalated to that level yet. Stop the speculation....

This is the internet, did you really think people weren't waiting for even the slightest error message to spring from under their bridges and thumb their noses?  I mean, the issue could have been 1/100th of this in terms of severity and you would still hear the pathetic cackle of people whose games aren't doing very well.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

Just to point out. GW2 hasn't launched yet.

It would be more correct to say, some people who pre-purchased couldn't log on during headstart when the servers offically went live.

btw I had no problems. It was a great launch for me.

• NightgroperNightgroper Member Posts: 76
    Alot of you need to calm down, fanbois, and haters alike. The people that want to play can look at it this way: that book you wanted to read? go pick it up, It's a nice Saturday? Go outside. Haters? I got nothing, continue sitting here.

The more I'm around the forums on this site, the more bitter I become.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

Just to point out. GW2 hasn't launched yet.

It has for me.  Thanks Anet, good job.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Really good launch.  Never seen so many people in an MMO in my life.
  • MathizsiasMathizsias Member UncommonPosts: 16

Me and a good 20 people just started on a 'Low' population server, no issue at all, none of us.

Personally, I think the whiners are the vocal minority that cry out that they can't join the server that says 'High' or 'Full' - because either popular guild X or pro guild Y has started there and they want to be on the cool bus.

This discussion has been closed.