Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The beginning of the end of freemium/subscription/cash shop era ?

2»

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I still feel a large majority of people playing GW2 are doing so because it's a really well made MMO, and not because of it's payment model.

In the long run, I think people will pay for quality MMO's regardless of the payment model chosen, and in fact, ANET is just using the B2P as their "gimmick", they'd charge sub fees if they wanted to, but not part of their model.

I know in my case I'm happy to pay sub fees if someone would make a MMO designed along the lines of what I favor, I suspect there's quite a few folks like me.

In the future, we'll see all sorts of payment model hybrids, no one form will really dominate. (IMO)

I still think, other than pvp, that most people will move on after hitting cap.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer
    Originally posted by roo67
    With Guild Wars 2 to be released soon I would think many other developers are watching it with interest . It appears that it will be the best selling mmo since Warcraft and have a long lasting impact on the mmo genre .If it does as well as expected then I imagine we will see a lot more buy to games flood the market in the coming years . This will inevitably mark the decline of subscription based games . For instance if you play something like WoW for a year it will cost you roughly 5 times what it costs you to play GW2 . Buy to play games will allow you to play multiple mmos without the worry of hitting the wall in freemium games , paying a monthly fee or having to spend money in a cash shop . Its clear they will be popular because of this . I don't think freemium/subs/cash shop based games will disapear overnight but I do think ten years time they will be few and far between . Even though Guild Wars1 was released a few years ago I think its this coming week that marks the true begining of the buy to play era . 

How about we wait 3 months after launch?

You also forget that it's not just now much you sell, but how much money you make. For that, we better wait for te NCsoft financial report.

Pretty sure right now companies like Blizzard (P2P) and Nexon (F2P) are making more.

I remember posts on various forums when WoW was launched said there would be a drop off in three months after launch then six months after launch then a year after launch and that went on for years untill we in recent years started to see a drop off . New players coming into the genre may try GW2 first instead of WoW as an entry level title . Especially younger players whose parents will quickly sus out that you can play GW2  for 50 dollars for the first year where as WoW will cost you 250 .  I know what I'm going to be doing whne my son wants to play mmos and it wont be buying him a title thats going to cost me buying a title with 4 expansion packs and a 15 dollar fee a month as well as him wanting me to pay for cash shop mounts or pets . Moneys a little tighter these days and all these things come into consideration . With GW2 ( and future games of a buy to play type ) theres most likly going to be one annual payment for an expansion . For me for its quality its a far better buy .

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

I'd like to make my point a bit clearer by stating I am not againt cash shops or p2p, in fact I usually subscribe to hybrid model games and have my wow sub up.

Developers make games that costs money they have to make their money back somehow and they do and will implement things to cover their accounts.

Infact I am going to state right here I do not want to play a completely free game as I do not think it will have enough for me to enjoy.

Nothing in life is free, except that you were born and that you are going to perish.

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer
    With Guild Wars 2 to be released soon I would think many other developers are watching it with interest . It appears that it will be the best selling mmo since Warcraft and have a long lasting impact on the mmo genre .If it does as well as expected then I imagine we will see a lot more buy to games flood the market in the coming years . This will inevitably mark the decline of subscription based games . For instance if you play something like WoW for a year it will cost you roughly 5 times what it costs you to play GW2 . Buy to play games will allow you to play multiple mmos without the worry of hitting the wall in freemium games , paying a monthly fee or having to spend money in a cash shop . Its clear they will be popular because of this . I don't think freemium/subs/cash shop based games will disapear overnight but I do think ten years time they will be few and far between . Even though Guild Wars1 was released a few years ago I think its this coming week that marks the true begining of the buy to play era . 

How about we wait 3 months after launch?

You also forget that it's not just now much you sell, but how much money you make. For that, we better wait for te NCsoft financial report.

Pretty sure right now companies like Blizzard (P2P) and Nexon (F2P) are making more.

I remember posts on various forums when WoW was launched said there would be a drop off in three months after launch then six months after launch then a year after launch and that went on for years untill we in recent years started to see a drop off . New players coming into the genre may try GW2 first instead of WoW as an entry level title . Especially younger players whose parents will quickly sus out that you can play GW2  for 50 dollars for the first year where as WoW will cost you 250 .  I know what I'm going to be doing whne my son wants to play mmos and it wont be buying him a title thats going to cost me buying a title with 4 expansion packs and a 15 dollar fee a month as well as him wanting me to pay for cash shop mounts or pets . Moneys a little tighter these days and all these things come into consideration . With GW2 ( and future games of a buy to play type ) theres most likly going to be one annual payment for an expansion . For me for its quality its a far better buy .

Yeah, so? WOW even launched with less than 1 million but just kept growing like crazy. It didn't just become popular, it make HUGE. I'm not saying GW2 will fail or lose 90% of it's players after 3 months, but then again, how do you know it won't? Nor you, nor anyone as play teh game long enough, or much less reach endgame.

I know is tight this days, but at the same tiem, GW2 costs 60, while games like SWTOR, and many others in the market, will be free.

The problem i have withyour post is that you say GW2 seems to be th best selling mmo since WOW, but you don't offer facts or info to back it up. Hoe many copies where sold? And like i said, how's the retention going to be? And dthe ultimate question, since you talk about business models, how much money is GW2 going to make from both sales and cash shop? After all, even if it sold 2 million in 1 year but the cs didn't make enough money, it's not doing well.

For all these reasons, we must wait.