Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long until GW2 is proclaimed a failure by the masses?

Comments

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Originally posted by megera23
    Originally posted by Misaris
    My guess is 24 hours after launch, when the rose tinted glasses reveal another medieval fantasy MMO starring cartoon critters, defending villages from attacking bears the 362th time?

What does 24 hours have to do with anything? I have 100+ by now and my "rose tinted glasses" as you put it have shown no sign of coming off. Oh and most of them were spent in one single zone (lvl 1 - 15). I can't wait to go back to it again.

While you might be sick of the things you listed, it doesn't mean the rest of us are.

Why not? I'm tired of Fantasy. Where are the good sci fi games at? If I see one more Elf or Gnome I'm gonna puke up my Lucky Charms. I don't doubt GW2 is a good gmae, but my god man get off the fantasy kick. It's been almost 20 years. Can we please get some decent variations in the genre?

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897
    The only ones that will be calling it a failure are fanboys of other MMOs.  I'm sure the box sales will be quite a bit higher than SWTOR.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    The only ones that will be calling it a failure are fanboys of other MMOs.  I'm sure the box sales will be quite a bit higher than SWTOR.

I would certainly hope so but i'm not getting my hopes up that high due to personal first hand knowledge of just how crazed SW fans can be. They'd buy anything with SW on the cover just because....

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts
    My guess is 24 hours after launch, when the rose tinted glasses reveal another medieval fantasy MMO starring cartoon critters, defending villages from attacking bears the 362th time?

What does 24 hours have to do with anything? I have 100+ by now and my "rose tinted glasses" as you put it have shown no sign of coming off. Oh and most of them were spent in one single zone (lvl 1 - 15). I can't wait to go back to it again.

While you might be sick of the things you listed, it doesn't mean the rest of us are.

Why not? I'm tired of Fantasy. Where are the good sci fi games at? If I see one more Elf or Gnome I'm gonna puke up my Lucky Charms. I don't doubt GW2 is a good gmae, but my god man get off the fantasy kick. It's been almost 20 years. Can we please get some decent variations in the genre?

its a good thing there are no elves or gnomes right?

• reichtreicht Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by Sixpax

Honest question for the people saying it will be a failure... what will be your measuring stick for that?  I mean since there's no subscription we can't go by that, and I doubt Anet will announce something like number of active accounts (ones that logged in during the last X weeks/months).  I'm sure they'll announce revenue from the game periodically but that's not any kind of indication of how many people play.

The only thing I can come up with is number of copies sold.  Or is there some other method I'm missing?

I'd say copies sold, which according to number means that it has already become a success.    But I believe the idea here is, when will the fans turn on it?

• megera23megera23 Member UncommonPosts: 239

Oh, I agree that it will be nice to have more sci-fi MMOs. I'm definitely not against variety. That doesn't mean I'm tired of fantasy though. *shrugs* Also, I care more for gameplay than for setting. I wont play a game just because it has a different setting, if I dislike the mechanics.

• MrlogicMrlogic Member Posts: 178
    OP (ZekkCC) FU!... go troll somewhere else
  • IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292

The masses can suck it. I make my own decisions/opinions when I have the information I need to do so.

Asking to throw wild guesses might be considered thus on THIS site, but on most parts of the internet it's considered a useless and troll~ endeavour.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Sixpax

Honest question for the people saying it will be a failure... what will be your measuring stick for that?  I mean since there's no subscription we can't go by that, and I doubt Anet will announce something like number of active accounts (ones that logged in during the last X weeks/months).  I'm sure they'll announce revenue from the game periodically but that's not any kind of indication of how many people play.

The only thing I can come up with is number of copies sold.  Or is there some other method I'm missing?

Amount of copies sold and state of servers population wise I would imagine is what most would use.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

SW:TOR is -----> that way.   There's your "Sci-Fi" game.  Now that you've seen how horrible it is, that's why they're not made.  

Tabula Ras was a Sci-Fi game, a good premise of one at that.  However, it's execution was horrible, and the popularity of the game was minimal.  Though it had greater dynamic invasions than those of Rift, and a nice aiming 3rd person/1st person shooter mechanic with it.   Just if the engine was more evolved and less cloned worlds it would have somewhat worked.

Oh, and on the horizon there is Planet Side 2.  Beta is available to those that pre-order and/or have PS1 accounts.

So there you have.  An explaination of why Sci-Fi MMO's have failed in the past, as well as some up-coming ones for the future.  You can now leave Guild Wars 2 forums to those that actually ENJOY the fantasy genre, please never return.

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738
    Still waiting on GW1 to be declared a failure...

/thread.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

Oh, I agree that it will be nice to have more sci-fi MMOs. I'm definitely not against variety. That doesn't mean I'm tired of fantasy though. *shrugs* Also, I care more for gameplay than for setting. I wont play a game just because it has a different setting, if I dislike the mechanics.

I don't hate fantasy, but I mean how many times can I save the kingdom from a Dragon, or fletch arrows? I'm letting my guild field test GW2, but I will probably pick it up just to have on the side. B2P is great and works for every other genre. DayZ finally opened some eyes to the demand for a survival based MMO. I just hope it catches on. I want RISK VS REWARD. I can't stand this gear grind treadmill crap. I'm off to play more Darkwind. I am on a noble quest to capture a De Lorean and re skin it to look like the Time Machine.

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Hate to say it but if that Zekks photo on his account he really doesn't appear to be the smartest cookie in the jar . He doesn't even know hes put his cap on backwards .  :P . And Zekk if you think GW2 is going to crash and burn you might want to change that cap to a tinfoil hat because somethings messing with your mind . 
  • otinanai123otinanai123 Member Posts: 265
    ~2 weeks after the masses hit 80. The date will be 20-9-2012. The endgame just isn't good enough.
  • BlueLanternBlueLantern Member Posts: 96
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Still waiting on GW1 to be declared a failure...

Isn't "It's not an MMO" enough?

that's the cop-out so people don't have to deal with it. 

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991
    Originally posted by otinanai123
    ~2 weeks after the masses hit 80. The date will be 20-9-2012. The endgame just isn't good enough.

Your predictions of failure are shocking and so unlike your other posts.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• otinanai123otinanai123 Member Posts: 265
    Originally posted by Derpybird

Your predictions are failure are shocking and so unlike your other posts.

Is it 20-9 yet and was I proven wrong?

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

I doubt "the masses" will even hit lvl 80 in two weeks.

Unless we have different definition of masses. Which is entirely possible considering some of the many replies in this thread.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

Yes, because for some reason MMO's are about "end-game".   Oh wait! That's single player games.   MMO's are about being part of a living, breathing virtual world.   Having adventures in said world.   Doing things that are memorable with friends and guildies alike.   Getting lost in 4hrs of Keg Brawl for no other reason than to have FUN! (which I've done during BWE3 and several stress tests).

So, to sum it up, take your WoW-definition of MMO's being about end-game raiding and carrot chasing gear tredmills and SHOVE IT!

• ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483

Oh so you have played the endgame.. Tell us how you have beaten zhaitan, crafted the legendary weapons, completed all Explorable dungeons, conquered wvwvw ladder, fully unlocked pvp lockers, completed all puzzles in all maps, defeated all world bosses, finished personal story for each race's each different story twist, won monthly, yearly tournaments, mastered the mini-games.

Guild Wars 2 is the ultimate end-game game, end game is the whole game. They have even listened to slow-minded people like you and added skill point grind after 80 level.

Originally posted by Siphaed

SW:TOR is -----> that way.   There's your "Sci-Fi" game.  Now that you've seen how horrible it is, that's why they're not made.  

Tabula Ras was a Sci-Fi game, a good premise of one at that.  However, it's execution was horrible, and the popularity of the game was minimal.  Though it had greater dynamic invasions than those of Rift, and a nice aiming 3rd person/1st person shooter mechanic with it.   Just if the engine was more evolved and less cloned worlds it would have somewhat worked.

Oh, and on the horizon there is Planet Side 2.  Beta is available to those that pre-order and/or have PS1 accounts.

So there you have.  An explaination of why Sci-Fi MMO's have failed in the past, as well as some up-coming ones for the future.  You can now leave Guild Wars 2 forums to those that actually ENJOY the fantasy genre, please never return.

Your historical knowledge of sci fi mmo's is pretty pathetic. You site the worst one ever made that's a plus. I agree Tabula Rasa had issues, but it was a good game. You may have overlooked the most succesful one... A little game called EvE Online. You explaination hardly even scratched the surface of why the genre has failed. You cited 2 titles... WOW you must've researched so hard to comem up with all of those examples. How about I list off a few for you now....

Starquest Online - Ultima Online meets Star Trek... Horrible Developers who basically extorted the community for patches and content. Game is still up and running, but has under 20 players total.

Shores of Hazeron - Sim City meets Wurm Meets Star Trek... great game, but a little too slow for my taste. Too much city management. It does have an amazing ship builder that lets you create fully customized ships with player crews.

Face of Mankind - Good game, but since I wasn't interested in the political game I found myself just randomly running around shooting people.

All of these games were independent and had any of them had the financial backing of a AAA developer would have blown the competition out of the vacuum.

Then of course you forgot the biggest flop in sci fi... Star Trek Online. This game should have been so much more than an arcade shooter. It could have been the great sandbox that people have wanted. They said it was impossible to have player starship crews, but Starquest Online proved them wrong.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    LOL

No one knows about engame other than the framework mechanics.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by ariboersma
    DAMMIT "this post has already been reported" that was fast :(

Well, sadly one has to report things like this, but in general i feel sorry for people posting things like this, what in earth can have made people negative like that?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by ariboersma

its a good thing there are no elves or gnomes right?

Just Sylvari and Asura...

• suu141suu141 Member Posts: 249

On 09/29/12, the game will be left with ZERO subs.  Fail.

Will also fail because it "Failed to kill WoW".

"When you're born you're naked, when you die you're naked again, and in-between all we do is work, eat, and play MMOs." ~Forum Warrior #141

This discussion has been closed.