Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long until GW2 is proclaimed a failure by the masses?

Comments

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    I'm only here for Nicholas. 
  • reichtreicht Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by Anubisan
    I give it a couple months. People will exhaust the content and start calling it a failure like they do with every other game on this site.

Well, the slight problem with all of our predictions is that we're running off what has happened between WoW and now, which is a bunch of sub games that people get bored of, so the servers empty, so everyone goes back to WoW to stand around and complain.  I personally am not convinced that will ever happen this time, as who is going to leave a prettier free game to go back to paying monthly to stand around?   Due to the lack of subscription the population should stay higher longer, and the open and flexible nature of the game should allow more social connections per person causing a higher tendency to stick with it.

I am not saying people won't call the game a failure, I'm just saying this one will go down a good deal differently than Warhammer, SWTOR, Tera, etc.

• Kyus_HoBKyus_HoB Member Posts: 185

Irregardless of its post launch popularity an analysis of how the game has been made, the contents that is in the game. the mechanics and the creative direction for its target audience can only show that its a very very very well made game. If you don't like the content it bares no relevance what-so-ever. The game  is well made its a good game it also it probably the best value for money title that is going to be released in 2012 when you look at how much you pay and the content you get for people with different interests.

If for some bizzarre reason everyone stopped playing next friday it is still well made, it looks good it plays good and relatively it is cheap.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Derpybird
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by bcbully
    I don't think the masses will. I think 30% or so (PvE  only players) will claim bored after two months though. 

I have to agree with bc, most pve players will complain and probably one month in.

PvE players or PvE raiders?

If you were a PvE raider and knew almost nothing about the game when you bought it, then yes, I can imagine being surprised and even disappointed.

And realistically, people are going to start faux drama a day or two post launch, so it will be difficult to differentiate real complaints from the manufactured ones.

PvE players. Its still a themepark, maybe a different type of themepar. But the underlying thing it has in common with other themeparks is that its pve is based on developer created content. It will run out and no matter what many might say that it has huge amounts of content many folks will finish it pretty quickly, it happes to every themepark. Its saving grace is the pvp.

I may end up let down on this one, but I have hope that the developers will maintain their plans to have an aggressive post-launch content development team, that they will be introducing large-scale events regularly as in the BWEs, and that Orr, and the zones leading up to Orr, will provide long-lasting entertainment. That and the dungeon explorable modes, legendary farming etc.

Failing this, there is always the WvW.

I hope they pull it off, but I will be very surprised if they do.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Not as fast as TSW or SWTOR rofl

How can you be so sure? The only single thing that GW2 might have better is PvP. But then there's a cash shop that may or may not give advantage in PvP. PvE wise SWTOR and TSW are both way better than GW2 imo.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by ForumPvP

What is this ? theres similar threads running all the time about TSW and SWTOR and WOW and many other,so why cant someone ask this about GW2 ? 

Apparently because the zealots have something to hide? Someone dis GW2? REPORT HEEEM!!! 

Total BS too. If we have forum PvP, then fight fair. Abusing the report tool is like cheating. Let them have their say and then prove them wrong. Whoever reported the OP is a coward and a douche. :-)

Not sure wtf you guys are smoking. The same topic gets locked over there too. Like I said when you have some reasons given on the subject matter or whatever they leave it alone. These types? They get locked.

So some of you need to tone down the bullshit a bit.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by bcbully
    I don't think the masses will. I think 30% or so (PvE  only players) will claim bored after two months though. 

I have to agree with bc, most pve players will complain and probably one month in.

PvE players or PvE raiders?

If you were a PvE raider and knew almost nothing about the game when you bought it, then yes, I can imagine being surprised and even disappointed.

And realistically, people are going to start faux drama a day or two post launch, so it will be difficult to differentiate real complaints from the manufactured ones.

PvE players. Its still a themepark, maybe a different type of themepar. But the underlying thing it has in common with other themeparks is that its pve is based on developer created content. It will run out and no matter what many might say that it has huge amounts of content many folks will finish it pretty quickly, it happes to every themepark. Its saving grace is the pvp.

I may end up let down on this one, but I have hope that the developers will maintain their plans to have an aggressive post-launch content development team, that they will be introducing large-scale events regularly as in the BWEs, and that Orr, and the zones leading up to Orr, will provide long-lasting entertainment. That and the dungeon explorable modes, legendary farming etc.

Only ones to have kept that promise, I think, is Trion. The rest have utterly failed at any timely updates.

• Kyus_HoBKyus_HoB Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Piiritus
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Not as fast as TSW or SWTOR rofl

How can you be so sure? The only single thing that GW2 might have better is PvP. But then there's a cash shop that may or may not give advantage in PvP. PvE wise SWTOR and TSW are both way better than GW2 imo.

simple reason of it having non linear leveling. with the game model adopted in other titles of the last 5 years its always the same linear leveling experience. 

You aren't buying a single player game in this title you are paying for a world to be part of. its a sandy sandy themepark.

• idgaradidgarad Member Posts: 174

I don't think it will be a failure my most measures. I'd expect opening sales of about 1.28 mil and a 6 month retention (unlike a sub model we could only measure by logons rather then subscriptions) of about average 239 concurrent users per server with about 310 during peak times. (Mind you for contrast WoW averages about 289 average concurrent per shard last I surveyed with about 412 during peak hours). In full disclousure I have not survered the non-north america shards (out of scope for me).

Since I was only off by .7% on Star Wars estimates (I missed the F2P change by 6 weeks.... lost $30 dollars on that bet....)  I think my model will hold (despite not being a sub-model MMO) so I am excited to see how well my model holds up. (Closest non-preorder launch numbers in my circle has to buy pizzas next lan party)

Ever since Warhammer it has been a bitch to get any metrics outta these companies (I had to fly to friggin Iceland to get an info drop for Eve Online for my research into virtual money laundering) and EA and Vivendi are.... challenging... to get info out of. Activision isn't so bad, but now post 2011 it's an NDA forest. So all I can do in freetime is random sampling.

As usual my curiousity lies in the virtual economy that is going to emerge. Hopefully their economist isn't as tight lipped as some companies... props to CCP for actually releasing economic reports. *cough take a hint cough*

In hind sight looking back at 30 years of gaming, what really has been killing MMOs is the fundamental concept of "end game". Everquest may have been (prior to RoK) the last true non-end game MMOMud. Post WoW there is this expectation of leveling up then getting to end game content where the real game begins. PvPRvR seems to subvert that by providing endless competive competition but I think it is still a weak solution. Removing endgame removes the pressure to run the tread mill and rather enjoy the journey rather then the expectation of the destination. Damn it another tangent, peace.

• CaakEECaakEE Member Posts: 4

how long? 

probably when the wow fanboys rush to the max lvl in 3 or 4 days and see there is no raid , we gonna see "masses" saying gw2 is crap.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

To be honest. A MMO determined to be a failure is purely subjective.

The only true failed MMOs are the ones that have closed down their servers for good.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by ZekkCC
    Alright.  Choose a month/date, people.  

Zekk just a heads up for you, don't waste your time in Swtor or Xsyon Earth 2012 because they are both shit and a waste of money and as for your comments on when will this fail me thinks you will be banned before you see these results anyway so no point in even bothering to discuss it tbh...However the fact that your playing MO says it all IMO as thats a pile of (Insert nasty word youself)too. So I personally don't think that you should be trying to insight people into responding to your trolling. So while i don't think you will be able to respond to my reply I'll just call it a day and enjoy my weekend have fun...

Bandit 

Asbo

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

By the masses? Never, because the 'masses' will have lots of fun playing the game!

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by Mahavishnu

By the masses? Never, because the 'masses' will have lots of fun playing the game!

False.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    August 30, 2020

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    Originally posted by Valua
    Originally posted by Mahavishnu

False.

since just about everything you say is pretty much the complete opposite of reality ill take this as a true. 

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991
    Originally posted by NBlitz

Only ones to have kept that promise, I think, is Trion. The rest have utterly failed at any timely updates.

I agree that Trion delivers the goods and is the only current developer that justifies, at least to me, a subscription fee, though I don't play Rift.

The thing is, I don't know if ANet will in fact keep their promise of evolving PvE gameplay. If I go based on whether or not they have lived up to their manifesto I would say that it looks promising. Will it be fast enough to keep everyone? Nope. Will it be enough for people who want to raid and only raid? Nope. But we don't know enough, right now, to tell whether or not they will be able to keep the vast majority of the PvEers.

So I would NOT place ANet in that category of companies that have utterly failed at updates, unless they in fact prove over the next 3-6 months that they utterly fail at updates.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• HellSingsHellSings Member Posts: 185

It's already proven to be anything but failure.

Your thread on the other hand..

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    Originally posted by NBlitz

I agree that Trion delivers the goods and is the only current developer that justifies, at least to me, a subscription fee.

The thing is, I don't know if ANet will in fact deliver on their promise of evolving PvE gameplay. If I go based on whether or not they have lived up to their manifesto I would say that it looks promising.

So I would NOT place ANet in that category of companies that have utterly failed at updates, unless they in fact prove over the next 3-6 months that they utterly fail at updates.

I dunno about that almost all of their "content" is holidays and I do not consider dailies and free mounts content.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991
    Originally posted by ariboersma

I agree that Trion delivers the goods and is the only current developer that justifies, at least to me, a subscription fee.

The thing is, I don't know if ANet will in fact deliver on their promise of evolving PvE gameplay. If I go based on whether or not they have lived up to their manifesto I would say that it looks promising.

I dunno about that almost all of their "content" is holidays and I do not consider dailies and free mounts content.

Well, I have no first-hand experience with Trion's content updates, so I can't argue that point.

What I do know is what GW2 devs have said:

“We have a live team of designers and artists and gameplay programmers who are going to be flying over the game constantly, dropping content everywhere” Johanson says. “Our goal is that every time you make a new character, you might go back through a map that you played six months ago and you’re going to find completely different content.” New content, he says, will be spread across the whole game rather than concentrated in specific areas. As this happens, the events already in place will be altered to accommodate it.

“You run around Queensdale, the human starter area, and maybe the Brood Mother shows up every X minutes,” Johanson continues. “We’re going to put another event that can happen there, and then slow down how often the Brood Mother happens. Not only are there new events happening, but everything you’ve seen before starts happening less often. The world gets larger and larger. Three years from now, if someone makes a brand new character in the game, a place that has 100 events in it might have 300 by then.”

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

“We have a live team of designers and artists and gameplay programmers who are going to be flying over the game constantly, dropping content everywhere” Johanson says. “Our goal is that every time you make a new character, you might go back through a map that you played six months ago and you’re going to find completely different content.” New content, he says, will be spread across the whole game rather than concentrated in specific areas. As this happens, the events already in place will be altered to accommodate it.

“You run around Queensdale, the human starter area, and maybe the Brood Mother shows up every X minutes,” Johanson continues. “We’re going to put another event that can happen there, and then slow down how often the Brood Mother happens. Not only are there new events happening, but everything you’ve seen before starts happening less often. The world gets larger and larger. Three years from now, if someone makes a brand new character in the game, a place that has 100 events in it might have 300 by then.”

[tears well up], sniff...That was beautiful.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

I'm with Derpy. Trion does one of the best jobs with adding content I have ever seen. Turbine is none to shabby either. Outside of those two can't say many others do real good in that department.

Far as with this game who the hell knows? Seems they have the right ideas and goals far as where they want to take the game. We'll see how it is implicated.

EDIT: I should add that Blizzard used to be good at adding content too. Been so long since I played WoW though I have no idea if this is still the case.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by ZekkCC
    Alright.  Choose a month/date, people.  

sooner the better.every damn post is about it..usual hype.same has swtor,rift,the list is endless...flame on

• MadKingMadKing Member UncommonPosts: 173

To most trolls it will be 1 hour after launch, they'll claim that

DE are boring and repetitive

The game is too easy

No Raids

sPvP suck because we're all equal

WvW feels like a ripoff of some other game no one even remember

No mounts

Graphics sucks

Cash shop is P2W

missing gear grind

need subscription fee (yes I've seen few who think this is a good thing)

Poor voice acting

it's a Zerg fest

No OWpvp

etc..

Me personally, I'll be too busy not giving a sh** and playing the game as for those who care to forum PvP, enjoy the next few days you'll have a blast.

• EmerwynEmerwyn Member Posts: 70
    I'll give it 6 weeks till every noob reaches max level and looks for the endgame to find there's none.
This discussion has been closed.