Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 Tutorial Video | ArenaNet

Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Looks like ArenaNet have made a tutorial video for players that are new to the game.

Watch Here

Comments

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Short and to the point. 
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    I got goosebumps watching that. I think, though, that's in part due to the fact that before I sleep again we'll be live.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ApolyonBSApolyonBS Member UncommonPosts: 23
    It is the video on the online manual, here: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/manual/
  • Kyus_HoBKyus_HoB Member Posts: 185

I still think the tutorials (in game and this video) that arena net have provided so far aren't quite up to the same level of quality of the rest of the game.

They are perfectly fine for anyone with mmo experience but definately lacking for anyone fresh to the genre.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    That is a very nice tutorial. Were did you get that OP!?

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Bob Ross refference at :45 =D Sylvari named Happy Little bush, all in all I think they could have done a better job.. that narrator is eh I dunno what to say... not right.

Not to mention most of the gameplay was done badly >.< they warrior with the hammer.. ugg he was swinging that hammer all over not hitting anything and dodging for no reason.. and half of them needed to heal! Which is an ongoing thing in any GW2 video.. no one heals themselves :(

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    My OCD kicks in for such videos. That warrior... 2 unlocked utility slots and no skills picked up! Argh! 
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Kyus_HoB

I still think the tutorials (in game and this video) that arena net have provided so far aren't quite up to the same level of quality of the rest of the game.

They are perfectly fine for anyone with mmo experience but definately lacking for anyone fresh to the genre.

I have to agree. There are some other sites though that provide some good info for new players. Unortunately it isn't like people new to mmos are going to know about those sites or probably find them easily.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Wow, this is a surprisingly effective video.  I showed it to my wife and she finally 'got' what this game is about.  I've been telling her about it for months, and she's always been 'meh'.  This vid actually made the game catch her interest.  I'm pretty geeked right now!

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I thought that was a terrible tutorial. It was like an overview of a tutorial; the contents, or even a feature list. It explained nothing and was basically an advert.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Vannor
    I thought that was a terrible tutorial. It was like an overview of a tutorial; the contents, or even a feature list. It explained nothing and was basically an advert.

Harsh.  Sounds like the hired the movie trailer guy to do the commentary on this video.

Originally posted by Badaboom

Harsh.  Sounds like the hired the movie trailer guy to do the commentary on this video.

It's good as an advert.. just don't think it's good as a tutorial. This isn't the help a lot of people need.

• Kyus_HoBKyus_HoB Member Posts: 185

I agree that its not that great in terms of it being a tutorial its more a showcase of features. 

as for the guys voice, if you have a grandfather or uncle that sounds like this there is an almost 100% certainty that he has a hidden journal with a treasure map and clues noted in it and has lived a hidden past that you'll find out about when you ask him about his tattoo that he always keeps covered.

It's good as an advert.. just don't think it's good as a tutorial. This isn't the help a lot of people need.

/agreed most of the gameplay is so bad its going to teach people to play badly and the voice is TERRIBLE!

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973
    1. Very good video.
    2. For some reason, this reminded me of the how to play Magic: The Gathering video that came with the M:TG classic edition starter pack.  Sort of.  I am not really sure why.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

They should have had "The Most Interesting Man In The World" narrate it.

When he logs in, it's a Dynamic Event.

When he smiles, skritt say "Ohh, Shiny!"

Zhaitan follows him on Twitter.

"I don't often play MMOs, but when I do I play Guild Wars 2. Stay dynamic, my friends."

Oderint, dum metuant.

Most of the people who I talk to that don't "get" the game would deinetely have been helped by this video.  They are gamers, but they don't see the difference between this and other games.  This would probably help.

On second thought, I doubt this video will do anything to stop one of my friends from playing maplestory.

Originally posted by Volkon

They should have had "The Most Interesting Man In The World" narrate it.

"I don't often play MMOs, but when I do I play Guild Wars 2. Stay dynamic, my friends."

+9000

Originally posted by grimm6th

Most of the people who I talk to that don't "get" the game would deinetely have been helped by this video.  They are gamers, but they don't see the difference between this and other games.  This would probably help.

On second thought, I doubt this video will do anything to stop one of my friends from playing maplestory.

ACK! That person needs help! You have failed him my friend!

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

Ok, you misunderstand where this video comes from.  It's on the front page of an entire online manual for Guild Wars 2.  The video isn't even published on their page, you only see it if you have the link. It was not intended to stand alone.  Here is the proper context for the video:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/manual/

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

It does an ok job of explaining 'what' you can do. Tutorials are supposed to be about 'how' you do it. That's what I'm getting at.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Yeah but it isn't really a tutorial. Like Volkon said and I agree it is a great advertisement for the reasons you gave. As a tutorial? It fucking sucks. No real info to help a player get started that may be new to the genre.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by GrumpyCharr

Ok, you misunderstand where this video comes from.  It's on the front page of an entire online manual for Guild Wars 2.  The video isn't even published on their page, you only see it if you have the link. It was not intended to stand alone.  Here is the proper context for the video:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/manual/

Oh, I didn't know that. That does make it look like a better attempt at a proper tutorial :)

• jugularveinjugularvein Member UncommonPosts: 371
    Originally posted by GrumpyCharr
    Wow, this is a surprisingly effective video.  I showed it to my wife and she finally 'got' what this game is about.  I've been telling her about it for months, and she's always been 'meh'.  This vid actually made the game catch her interest.  I'm pretty geeked right now!

I AM CURRENTLY TRYING THE SAME WITH MINE, I MADE HER A PROMISE THAT IF I SAT THROUGH A FREAKING GLEE MARATHON THAT SHE WOULD PLAY THE NEWB AREA WITH ME!!!!!

CPU-HP Omen 17.3" Laptop  i7  12 GB AMD Radeon RX580 1 TB Hard Drive

• legendsololegendsolo Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Originally posted by ariboersma

/agreed most of the gameplay is so bad its going to teach people to play badly and the voice is TERRIBLE!

this, it's so emotionless without any intonation. Just horrible to listen to