Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Place your when will it go F2P guesses here

Comments

• EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by Skooma2

1)  I love TSW, but am not a fanboi.   It is fun, interesting and I still haven't found anything in any game more fun than sticking your shotgun in the face of a zombie and hitting Buckshot.

2)  Funcom will keep on running TSW so long as it is profitable, and, as far as I can see, I will be playing ad infinitum.  (However, I thought Chronicles of Spellborn was innovative.)

3) The timing of the game's release couldn't have been worse.

4) If they can hold on until the GW2 crowd gets bored, the game will last a good long while.

4. The guild wars crowd is likely mainly pvpers, TSW has nothing for pvpers

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    Originally posted by Ehllfhire
    Originally posted by Skooma2

1)  I love TSW, but am not a fanboi.   It is fun, interesting and I still haven't found anything in any game more fun than sticking your shotgun in the face of a zombie and hitting Buckshot.

2)  Funcom will keep on running TSW so long as it is profitable, and, as far as I can see, I will be playing ad infinitum.  (However, I thought Chronicles of Spellborn was innovative.)

3) The timing of the game's release couldn't have been worse.

4) If they can hold on until the GW2 crowd gets bored, the game will last a good long while.

4. The guild wars crowd is likely mainly pvpers, TSW has nothing for pvpers

They may be in the long term, but for now simply no.  More PvE'rs will be playing GW2 at launch, and it's going to affect the active population of most mmos.  I'd guess at least for a month.  Then GW2 will take a hit, with MoP.   After then, things will start to balance out again.

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    500k was their rosy projection. Funcom stated they big time failed to reach that and there worst case scenario (both overly rossy they actually thought theyd sell a million plus copies lmao). Various investor extapolations from the info they gave points at initial sales of less than 250k and a huge drop off in subs after 30 days. TSW so underperformed that funcom is in danger of bankruptcy at this very moment, and the report on subs coming out the 28th could very well sink funcom.

If I was a betting man I think TSW only has around 100k subs.

Unlikely, as the shards are still well populated.  I'd put it somewhere between 200 - 300k.   This huge drop off claim is also completely fictious, as Funcom have stated retention is high.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    If things are going as badly as some think they are, probably in December or so. TSW is definitely going to take a hit when GW2 and MoP come out, but if they can keep the updates coming and add some better endgame activities, positive word of mouth may give them enought subs to stay afloat as a P2P game for a while, like Rift does.
  • Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

DAoC and WAR are still not F2P, so I assume TSW will stay away from it on 1 condition...

the success of SWToR's F2p matrix's success. If they strike gold on their f2p release, that could mean changes for their entire stable of MMOs, much like is did for SOE. Though remember SOE had Freeport server over a year before it justified it to their company to change all the titles to Freemium.

Funcom has a f2p game already, not a big fan of their matrix, but they have experience in the f2p market currently, so they aren't going to be hit hard if told they need to change. they will be able to adapt pretty quickly if need be.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by Rider071

Funcom has a f2p game already, not a big fan of their matrix, but they have experience in the f2p market currently, so they aren't going to be hit hard if told they need to change. they will be able to adapt pretty quickly if need be.

I agree. I played the celebration weekend and earned my 1200 bonus points and had a really hard time deciding what I want. Crap looking clothes, useless pets, titles that do nothing?!

I spent quite a bit of money on Conan, unlocking dungeons and classes, though my highest char never got beyond level 44.

All they have to do is go f2p, add dungeon unlocker tokens to the shop and they will start making profit again.

PS: About my guess: christmas sounds profitable... EA says so too  :P

Harbinger of Fools
  • SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by Misaris
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    If things are going as badly as some think they are, probably in December or so. TSW is definitely going to take a hit when GW2 and MoP come out, but if they can keep the updates coming and add some better endgame activities, positive word of mouth may give them enought subs to stay afloat as a P2P game for a while, like Rift does.

An average TSW player with a sane mind wouldn´t think for a second to play a fantasy game featuring freaking Pandas or Kittehs/Rodents.

Those kiddy titles you mention are no competition at all for TSW, also you need an IQ far above 50 for TSW, so it is logical that the player base is smaller than for GW2 or World of Pandas.

TSW is not going F2P this or next year. Enjoy your korean style GW2 fantasy F2P by NCSoft and stick to it, please.

+1

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

also you need an IQ far above 50 for TSW, so it is logical that the player base is smaller than for GW2 or World of Pandas.

Maybe my IQ is below 50 because for a moment I thought you called all gw2 and wow players dumb. But a smart TSW player wouldn't do something so silly, would he?

Or maybe you just like to give the mods a reason to ban you for insulting and trolling.

Harbinger of Fools
  • dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

I originally thought february- march of 2013 now im not so sure TSW wont be freemium by november 2012..

Funcom freemium is not F2P its a very restricted free to try scheme with the goal of falsely boosting numbers for subbed players and investors alike while trying to hook you with a sub...

Playing GW2..

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by ForumPvP

First they will add some interesting items into their cash shop,which will have real value in game,like something you can change into ingame currency,they will milk with that stuff mmm for 2 years,and then we will have new payment methods in place which are going to be calle pay to play,and it will be revolutionary and change the who mmo world when it starts to use that new stuff,so never,me thinks.

Question how many games last two years with 30k subs or less?

Lots. Want a list? Oh, wait, no, your just trolling so actual proof isn't important to you.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318
    Originally posted by Scalpless

An average TSW player with a sane mind wouldn´t think for a second to play a fantasy game featuring freaking Pandas or Kittehs/Rodents.

Those kiddy titles you mention are no competition at all for TSW, also you need an IQ far above 50 for TSW, so it is logical that the player base is smaller than for GW2 or World of Pandas.

TSW is not going F2P this or next year. Enjoy your korean style GW2 fantasy F2P by NCSoft and stick to it, please.

In one statement you made my the top of my list of the 2 of the things I hate most: bigots and liars.

So here for your education: (from a quick jump on Wiki)

"ArenaNet is a video game developer and subsidiary of NCsoft, founded in 2000 by Mike O'Brien, Patrick Wyatt and Jeff Strain and located in Bellevue, Washington. They are the developers of the online role-playing game series Guild Wars.

The founders of ArenaNet were former employees of Blizzard Entertainment who played important roles in developing the highly successful video games Warcraft, StarCraft, Diablo, Diablo II, and the Battle.net gaming network. They left in February 2000 to form their own company. Their new studio was briefly called Triforge, Inc.[4] before changing its name to ArenaNet. The company was acquired by NCsoft in 2002.

On 10 September 2008, NCsoft announced the formation of NCsoft West, headquartered in Seattle, Washington.[5] ArenaNet co-founders Jeff Strain and Patrick Wyatt left ArenaNet to take roles at NCsoft West in 2008, and ultimately left NCsoft in 2009."

Also, GW and GW2 are Buy to Play, not Free to Play, but don't let these silly facts get in the way of spewing your bile.

• MisarisMisaris Member Posts: 140
    Originally posted by Dakeru

also you need an IQ far above 50 for TSW, so it is logical that the player base is smaller than for GW2 or World of Pandas.

Maybe my IQ is below 50 because for a moment I thought you called all gw2 and wow players dumb. But a smart TSW player wouldn't do something so silly, would he?

Or maybe you just like to give the mods a reason to ban you for insulting and trolling.

Whatever you read between the lines is your personal freedom. Enough people keep trolling the TSW section here with their GW2 advertising or F2P predictions for TSW, I suggest someone cleans up this forum and bans trolls who obviously try to work against TSW first. I want to read about TSW and not other stuff I´m not interested in this particular forum section.

BTW cancelled my sponaneous hype induced pre-order for GW2 thanks to TSW, and I´m extremely happy Anet/NCsoft does not profit from me and my guild who are all VERY happy with TSW.

Except one person we all got lifetime subs approxiamtely same price of 5 GW2 licenses. Why? Because it´s worth the money.

Originally posted by Rider071
    In one statement you made my the top of my list of the 2 of the things I hate most: bigots and liars.

So here for your education: (from a quick jump on Wiki)

"ArenaNet is a video game developer and subsidiary of NCsoft, founded in 2000 by Mike O'Brien, Patrick Wyatt and Jeff Strain and located in Bellevue, Washington. They are the developers of the online role-playing game series Guild Wars.

The founders of ArenaNet were former employees of Blizzard Entertainment who played important roles in developing the highly successful video games Warcraft, StarCraft, Diablo, Diablo II, and the Battle.net gaming network. They left in February 2000 to form their own company. Their new studio was briefly called Triforge, Inc.[4] before changing its name to ArenaNet. The company was acquired by NCsoft in 2002.

On 10 September 2008, NCsoft announced the formation of NCsoft West, headquartered in Seattle, Washington.[5] ArenaNet co-founders Jeff Strain and Patrick Wyatt left ArenaNet to take roles at NCsoft West in 2008, and ultimately left NCsoft in 2009."

Also, GW and GW2 are Buy to Play, not Free to Play, but don't let these silly facts get in the way of spewing your bile.

LOL, you really cracked me up. Well, you can twist it like you want, the asian influence is completely obvious by looking at any GW2 screenshot, NCSoft is a korean company, they own Arenanet, they kick out one medieval fantasy wowclone after the other, period.

And.. puh-lease.. finding a new term "Buy To Play".. what a sweet new term for "Free to Play" that is. It´s freaking F2P, you download the game for a fee and there is no sub, you can go to the cash shop and buy stuff to open boxes, potions, XP boosts and whatever else they sell to improve the F2P  game experience. But hey, nice disguise this "B2P" is. Keep your credit card at hand, mate.

I got a Lifetime Pack or TSW, well how cool, TSW was "Buy To Play"! What do you say now? And the cash shop isn´t even necessary, only visual tweaks and pets.

See, all a matter of perspective and semantics.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well it is a no brainer now no?We just  saw EA's announcement,so i think it is obvious this will go f2p within 2 months,they have probably already started working on the plans.

They don't even have enough content ready,so players having to pay for no content would not fly very well and making another 1-2 weeks of content a month from now ,will ont remedy the situation either.Free to play it is and will become soon enough.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Dakeru

Whatever you read between the lines is your personal freedom. Enough people keep trolling the TSW section here with their GW2 advertising or F2P predictions for TSW, I suggest someone cleans up this forum and bans trolls who obviously try to work against TSW first. I want to read about TSW and not other stuff I´m not interested in this particular forum section.

BTW cancelled my sponaneous hype induced pre-order for GW2 thanks to TSW, and I´m extremely happy Anet/NCsoft does not profit from me and my guild who are all VERY happy with TSW.

Except one person we all got lifetime subs approxiamtely same price of 5 GW2 licenses. Why? Because it´s worth the money.

Ouch, no wonder you are so defensive about the game.

F2P is probably going to happen at some point. You are going to have to come to terms with that. Hopefully this will be a lesson you learn about themepark MMOs - lifetime subs are a ripoff. Of course you will probably decide to bash other games to make you feel better instead of actually taking a step back and realizing what they did to you, but hopefully you see how underhanded they were when they offered the lifetime sub + box + cash shop.

Originally posted by Wizardry

Well it is a no brainer now no?We just  saw EA's announcement,so i think it is obvious this will go f2p within 2 months,they have probably already started working on the plans.

They don't even have enough content ready,so players having to pay for no content would not fly very well and making another 1-2 weeks of content a month from now ,will ont remedy the situation either.Free to play it is and will become soon enough.

Funcom is not owned by EA, unbelievable people don´t know the difference between a developer and a publisher, Yet they come spewing their non-information everywhere.

EA has absolutely no say on what FC does or does not with their sub model. They now start blaming the sub model for TOR going down the drain and forum parrots repeat that "the industry is changing" BS.

btw, TOR didn´t fail because of the sub model, it failed because it is a dead boring space wowclone without innovation.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

The lifetime sub was the freaking BEST game investment I ever made, it´s cost is worth 14 months of subscription, with every month free new content updates, seasonal events, new features and polishing. And the game will live and expand for a long, long time.

one thing people often ignore is the time value of money.  it is a very real thing in the world.

a lifetime subscription for $200 is not equivalent to 14 months of $15 payments.. i havne't done the math on it but i would guess it comes out closer to 20-25 months of payments at a reasonable rate.

all in all i would think it safe to say a $200 lifetime sub is easily closer to being equivalent to 2 years than it is to 1.. the equations are easily obtainable around the internet if you're good at math and interested though.

as you said though, if it goes free to play they'll still give you currency in the cash shop.. but i gotta point out your break even point isn't 14 months by any real money standard.

edit: seems excel can just solve it instantly, who woulda thought :P  comes out to ~24 months.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by colddog04

Ouch, no wonder you are so defensive about the game.

F2P is probably going to happen at some point. You are going to have to come to terms with that. Hopefully this will be a lesson you learn about themepark MMOs - lifetime subs are a ripoff. Of course you will probably decide to bash other games to make you feel better instead of actually taking a step back and realizing what they did to you, but hopefully you see how underhanded they were when they offered the lifetime sub + box + cash shop.

F2P might happen in 1-2 years, fine than I´ll get free FC points every month I can spend on later expansions. Good deal. Happened with AoC too. By then, the broke F2P crowd living in mommies basement can play some of the lower zones for free while I play the cool new premium content. Whatever.

The lifetime sub was the freaking BEST investment I ever got, it´s worth 14 months of subscription, every month free new content updates, seasonal events, new features and polishing. And the game will live and expand for a long, long time.

Seriously, stop implying I am "defensive" about the game, it´s great, we love it, we play it, we hate medieval fantasy wowclones with cutesy cartoon animals wielding swords, people like us found a nice and cosy home at TSW. Period, end of discussion, everyone going home and having a good time with either ponyworld or mature games.. your choice, your taste.

I wasn't implying that you were defensive, I was saying that you were defensive.

The strange thing is that you consider TSW an "adult" video game. You are so proud of your adult VIDEO GAME. You lack perspective. The stories are all fantasy cliches and it's a game played by children as well as adults. You think magic bees that fly into people's mouth to give them magic powers is an amazing adult concept and that giant dragons are for the kiddies. You trash other games by saying they are for people with less than 50 IQ. 

You are defensive and it's easy to see you are defensive because you can't help yourself. You MUST make a ridiulous comparison to other games. One is for retarded children, and the other is your choice. One is ponyworld, and one is for adults, like you. 

F2P is likely coming sooner than 1 - 2 years from now. There isn't anything wrong with that in my opinion. I thought the game was pretty cool, but I wasn't that fond of the combat. I'll probably check it out again when it does go F2P. It is still conjecture at this point, but I personally think F2P is coming sooner than later.

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

The lifetime sub was the freaking BEST game investment I ever made, it´s cost is worth 14 months of subscription, with every month free new content updates, seasonal events, new features and polishing. And the game will live and expand for a long, long time.

one thing people often ignore is the time value of money.  it is a very real thing in the world.

a lifetime subscription for $200 is not equivalent to 14 months of $15 payments.. i havne't done the math on it but i would guess it comes out closer to 20-25 months of payments at a reasonable rate.

all in all i would think it safe to say a $200 lifetime sub is easily closer to being equivalent to 2 years than it is to 1.. the equations are easily obtainable around the internet if you're good at math and interested though.

as you said though, if it goes free to play they'll still give you currency in the cash shop.. but i gotta point out your break even point isn't 14 months by any real money standard.

Yes it is. 14 x 15 = 210. So, it's actually 13 months for the whole thing to pay off, which, like i already said, is when i expect the game to go F2P, max. Before that, is all up to Funcom, and how many subs it as, how much money the cash shop is making, etc.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

It wont go F2P for at least two years.

But regardless, I find F2P to restrictive and hence it is of no consequence when it goes f2p to me.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

When the 6 month subs run out to not piss those people off.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

We are short on hard facts but know a few general truths. We know EA (their co-publisher) feels the P2P model is dead. We know Funcom is not selling enough copies of the game nor retaining enough subscribers to hit their profitability point. We know Funcom is laying off significant staff world wide beyond what is typical after launch. We know Funcom is having general financial difficulties. All of this adds up to indicate a change will happen soon. It could be sending TSW F2P. It could be new ownership. It could be both. But a state of affairs like this doesn’t abide long. It is what it is. I'd guess "something" will happen by the end of the year.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

Yes it is. 14 x 15 = 210. So, it's actually 13 months for the whole thing to pay off, which, like i already said, is when i expect the game to go F2P, max. Before that, is all up to Funcom, and how many subs it as, how much money the cash shop is making, etc.

you seemed to have missed the entire main point i was making.

i honestly have no idea how many lifetime subs TSW sold or even if it is relevant to when they will go F2P.  maybe it is, maybe it isn't.. i was simply pointing out from Funcom's perspective (and honestly you should consider it from your perspective as well) a $210 sub is worth 2 years of gameplay not 1 because of (if you read the first line in my post) the time value of money.

it is MUCH better for them to get $210 from you now than 14 payments of 15 dollars.  it isn't until your payments come closer to 24 that the total money paid over the $15 installments is equal to $210 paid up front.

but i'm not going to argue about it beyond this, you can research it yourself if you're interested using google and excel or .. probably openoffice.

once again it may or may not even be completely relevant to whether they go F2P sooner or later, i was just correcting an innaccuracy i saw.

• ButtskiButtski Member UncommonPosts: 187
    ~6 months when it goes f2p.
    btw i will have a hysterical paroxysm of laughter when i think about lifetimers :D
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

We are short on hard facts but know a few general truths. We know EA (their co-publisher) feels the P2P model is dead.

I can´t believe why people keep repeating anyhting EA states in their press releases full of BS. Don´t you get it, they needed to FIND a reason, some twist, NOT to blame the awful mediocre game TOR is, they didn´t say, sorry the game sucked, people left because it was boring, looked like 2004, lacked approximately 80% of features SWG had 10 years ago, it doesn´t feel like Star Wars, the railshooter is an insult, the engine is complete failure, let´s throw it away and do something new with Star Wars.

NO.. of course.. the sub model.. it´s dead! SWTOR is the best game ever, but the sub model killed it.

Yeah sure, if EA says so.. lol.

L... O..... L....

If TOR would have been anything like SWG, plus the features from TOR in a new 2012 looking polished package, I´d bought a sub for 5 years in advance. I´d thrown my credit card at the screen, or sent it in an envelope directly to Bioware to charge me whatever they want.