Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Wizardry Online: Bringing Back the Classic

13»

Comments

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Well from looking at the videos, it's got nice looking environments (but these days that should pretty much go without saying, as should all graphics really), but it's got those horrible little-girl pedo-anime characters, I just can't abide those at all, creepy! ...and then there's the cash shop pay-to-win increase your chances at resurection... Wow if they have that in the western version this'll be the new definition of cash-shop-HATE. Will have to wait and see how the western version shapes up... Not holding out any hopes for this though....
  • nhatnhat Member UncommonPosts: 166
    Originally posted by LoganKonlan

Lost me at anime.

As a member of the mid 40's crowd, I played alll of the Wizardy series - anticipating  the next release just as we savor the upcoming GW2 release.  It's amazing how I've been doing this for over 20 years.

My favorite Wizardry release was, "Bane of the Cosmic Forge" and I can assure you that anime was NO part of it!

Yuck and buh-bye.

Wow a little biased huh? Wizard is mostly a JP franchise now since the people support it more in JP than in NA.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Really disappointed in the limited classes. I will miss my Ninja, Samurai, and Psionics masters.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    Originally posted by Margrave

Pass.

Lost me at perma-death. I don't play anything with that.

For the majority of us, Permadeath in a MMO is FTL......No one wants to put in much time then lose everything, including your character.....Permadeath works fine in a single player game because you have saves and control your destiny...In a mMO it only takes one jerk and your game is ruined (and there are alot of jerks usually).

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Originally posted by Theocritus

Pass.

For the majority of us, Permadeath in a MMO is FTL......No one wants to put in much time then lose everything, including your character.....Permadeath works fine in a single player game because you have saves and control your destiny...In a mMO it only takes one jerk and your game is ruined (and there are alot of jerks usually).

I don't get attached to 1's and 0's. I enjoy a game that is challenging, and the sense of Risk VS Reward is far greater than finally catching that carrot on a string. Also if I can make some moron cry over these things then that will be a nice little bonus. 

I'm not thrilled that it's Anime style, or done by SOE, but at least SOMEONE is doing something DIFFERENT.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Something else the Japanese understand: baseball.

Strike One: overly-cutesy pedophile-style graphics

Strike Two: P2W cash shop (that they are not even trying to hide)

Strike Three: SOE

You're out, Wizardry MMO.

No Thanks.

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433

Pass.

For the majority of us, Permadeath in a MMO is FTL......No one wants to put in much time then lose everything

You don't lose everything, if you'd read the article you'd know that.

And yes, there's quite a lot of people who want that. Hell, even Minecraft does it.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Tibernicus

Pass.

For the majority of us, Permadeath in a MMO is FTL......No one wants to put in much time then lose everything

You don't lose everything, if you'd read the article you'd know that.

And yes, there's quite a lot of people who want that. Hell, even Minecraft does it.

Yeah, quite a few until they experience their first time being ganked.  There are a lot of reasons permadeath does not work in a MMO:

1.  The cheaters will do everything they can to stay alive and make sure you are the gankee.

2.  Having to pay to get your avatar resurrected everytime will get very old very fast.

3.  If they have any support staff, they will be overwhelmed with the complaints about dropped connections and the cheaters.

4.  Pretty hard to make friends in a game where you or your friends are constantly cloning new personas.

5. Personally there is little difference of the thrill of pvp in a perma death game and one that is just ffa-pvp.  The vast majority will avoid the permadeath game as a result.

This game is just a loser from the start, they are doing just about everything wrong you can do in a MMO.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
         From what I'm hearing this doesn't sound anything like the WIzardry games I remeber...It sounds like they just took the WIzardry name for name recognition sake and are making their own game.
  • SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
         From what I'm hearing this doesn't sound anything like the WIzardry games I remeber...It sounds like they just took the WIzardry name for name recognition sake and are making their own game.

...This is because Wizardry continued in Japan after they stopped making it here- In Japan they are up to like Wiz part 7000 lol- while we have only 8.

Look, I am OLD SCHOOL and when I heard Wizardry was downloadable for PS3 I was like "HELL YEAH"- Then I downloaded the Trial and was like "?WTF is this...FUUUUUUUUUUUUU???????" when I saw the abomination that loaded onto my Television screen . (I have since destroyed that TV for showinbg me such Horror)

I then googled Wizardry to see what the hell was going on and if I was in a parallel universe... Nope. Its the Japanese. The GOD DAMNED Japenese... They bought the rights to  Wizardry and for the last 10 years or more have turned it into an anime...Somerting...

Posting this makes me feel dirty.

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

Hey guys, just going to lay it out.

The posters that used to come with the nes/SNES games did have that "Ronin Warriors" 80's-90's Anime.

I still have my Wizardry games and yeah this is too much for the games art direction but to say anime wasn't even near Wizardry is to stick with just the games and not so much all the outside content.

Then again it's just art in japan. It's only "special" here. I was lost a SoE, permadeath is totally ok, so long as it's not reyling on the server to not bug, connection,powerloss,crashes,etc.

If there is a redunant checker (it can be done) for those types of things? SoE can count me in.

If it's implimented like a standard mmorpg and death is a standard affair and thus why create the redundancies? Hell no.

I'll accept death for my stupid mistakes, even perma, but not perma due to power loss.

We talk about the original games but you know....I was a cheap bastard I'd just reset before the end of the dirge tune.

Hell in the snes version I went so far as to use a old rom checker to restore a game which i had died and woefully saved upon.

• Nsein1Nsein1 Member Posts: 20
    This game looks like a great home for trolls.