Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Wizardry Online: Bringing Back the Classic

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    Originally posted by TarotMage

That's how it was in the original, folks. If your character died you only had so many chances to rez him. Good times playing this on my Apple II+ (and now I've just dated myself). Still remember seeing that dreaded "oops!" if the first attempt at a rez failed. If you lucked out on the second try, you'd get "Excelsior" on your screen. Blow the 2nd attempt and...dun Dun DUN!

"Ashes"   O_O

Er and then you would restore from your save game file........ 

Not quite the same thing here.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    I'm done with SOE.  Their business ethics of late, through Smedly and Dave Georgeson, as well as their general gaming direction of "F2P" has completely turned me off any of their games.  Tack on their complete communication failures, now and in the past, as well as tossing the European community to the wolves.  Complete boycott.

• Radar11xRadar11x Member UncommonPosts: 118
    Originally posted by Adiaris
    Originally posted by Margrave

Pass.

Lost me at perma-death. I don't play anything with that.

Heh, lost me at SoE ;)

lol im cool with perma-death, SOE not so much. xD

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    You had me at permadeath.
  • shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186
    Epic griefing in this game=) imagine the haxxor pking all those lvl 60's and 70's...the wailing will be legendary.

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Perma death with a community aimed at 8-14 year old pvp'ers and lamers, and SOE...

May as well throw in a pay to win cash shop and the best equipment into there also.

Just to complete the "Oh god no, just no..."  reaction from this one..

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    Originally posted by dzoni87

Oh, look another Classic RPG franchize turned into MMO...

God forbid someone make Wizardry IX or Might and Magic X. Oh well, at least we got Fallout still... for now...

Especially with Wizardry 8 being such a good game...Their games seemed to get better and better but unfortunately the company went under.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896
    No, just no to everything. At least I can cross one upcoming MMO off my list to keep an eye on.

It all sounds like crap but this especially is a red flag: You have a very small chance to resurrect or else permadeath( read: unless you buy cash shop items to increase that chance).

• barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618

I've always loved the Wizardry series, but this just doesn't sound like Wizardry.

And since it sounds like anyone can attack anyone at any time, with lootable player corpses, cash shop, and permadeath, I am beginning to believe this will be a griefers paradise. At least until the other players get fed up with it and go play something else after a week or two.

There don't even seem to be the interesting Wizardry races, just the standard mmorpg ones, human, humans with pointy ears, err, elves, dwarves, and hobbits/gnomes/comedy relief.

It's too bad, I was looking forward to having some more Wizardry fun. (Earlier this year I got Wizardry 8 running on my box and was having a blast with that again.) 

And it's being put out by Sony. Not exactly a company I'd trust to do anything right anymore.

I really was excited to hear there was a Wizardry Online coming out, and now my hopes have been dashed.

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440

Pass.

I was looking forward to Wizardy On-Line until I saw this.  I picked up and played the entire series when they first came out and loved them but I'll not play any game that has perma-death in it.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

There is nothing wrong with a perma-death game imo but a perma-death game should only be about the power of the gear, not player levels, similar to DayZ.

Losing good gear is okay because likelihood is you might get similar things from the next guy you've killed again. Losing character level is horrible - that's just plain time wasted for a player in an RPG. I don't mind losing something if another player can take advantage of it (the predatorial nature of this type of games) but I mind losing something that is not recoverable by anyone.

• CernanCernan Member UncommonPosts: 360
    Originally posted by Vannor

This video for it shows that cash shop items can be used to increase the chances of resurrecting your character (1:40):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Rgn8Xa-uT7o

...terrible move.

Pretty sure that's the new definition of PTW. Pay.. or permadeath.

This takes Allod's cash shop to a new level.  Remember the exodus of people in Allods because you had to pay to keep your items from destroying.  That game could have actually done well if they hadn't messed up the cash shop.  I knew many P2P gamers that had started playing and quit after the cash shop debacle.  If that is how it is implemented here expect the same results.  Most westerners are not big on losing items, let alone their character.  Some will take the chance, but if a cash shop is what you need to keep it from happening that chances quickly diminishes.

• biffbaxterbiffbaxter Member UncommonPosts: 9

sigh...Wizardry.

Used to break in to my High School and play it on the weekend on the sole Apple II+ they had. Nerd Criminal...hah

I will play just to see. I still have my original disks, and graph paper of the levels. If I can throw down a Tiltowait - I am in :)

At least for a while until some Pixie griefer makes me throw it out the window. I sure hope it does ok - but sometimes you cant go back to that old friend :)

Until then, my GW2 early access starts this weekend, so the non-sleeping fun can begin.

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433

Pass.

Funny, that's where they gained me. Something new? Yes please. The MMO Dark Ages have been long.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Why the hell does it have an anime style?

You make me like charity

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

Played the original on the Apple IIe also.

Bring it on.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• sirquipsirquip Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Long before mmos i was a pen and paper roleplayer, perma death was the norm. Yes it can be frustrating, but at the end of the day these are Role Playing Games (a concept that seems to have been lost somewhere aling the way) perma death makes you wary, makes you careful and as you advance in level creates an attachment to your character like no other
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Why the hell does it have an anime style?

Becasue its an Asian game company doing it.  Which automatically another turn off for me.  I only play Western games as I am not a fan of all the, what I consider sill and immerion breaking things that Asians put into their games.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• ZikariZikari Member Posts: 78

I didn't hear about this game before the article. However I loved the old Wizrdry games, especially Crusaders of the Dark Savat. To concept sounds interessting and I might give it a try.

Someone mentioned Dark Souls as comparison, it's my favorite PS3 game for pushing the risk vs. reward concept as its main gameplay mechanic. However, there is no perma-death in Dark Souls. You die, you revieve at the last campfire in a weakened state and all the enemies respawn (except the bosses). You loose all the Souls you are carrying and if you fail to fight back to your body they will be gone forever, however, aquired gear and distributed skills are save and whatever Boss you managed to kill will stay dead for the rest of the playthrough...

• DrevarDrevar Member UncommonPosts: 177

Anime..I like anime.  Perma-death..yeah okay I can handle that.  Cash Shop with a way to decrease chance of perma-death...um, no.  SOE...Oh, HELL NO!

"If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."
    -Luke McKinney, The 7 Biggest Dick Moves in the History of Online Gaming

"In the end, SWG may have been more potential and promise than fulfilled expectation. But I'd rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."
    -Raph Koster

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

It sounds interesting, and there should be room for those who wish the truly hardcore experience as well.

But this immediately makes me wonder about level 40-50 characters perma-slaughtering newbies and whether you'll be able to buy your way out of trouble in the cash shop.

If the latter is so, that immediately undermines the entire concept imo.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

It sounds interesting, and there should be room for those who wish the truly hardcore experience as well.

But this immediately makes me wonder about level 40-50 characters perma-slaughtering newbies and whether you'll be able to buy your way out of trouble in the cash shop.

If the latter is so, that immediately undermines the entire concept imo.

Except that people will group together and kill the 40-50s and cause them some perma-death. Then theyre a newbie again just like you. This is the beauty of perma-death. The bigger you get the harder you fall.

• victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212
    I'd give this game a fair shake. It might be good or bad, but I won't really know till I try it and invest in the game world as a person.

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

good on them to try perma-death, Dayz does it.....maybe there is a niche for it. there sure isn't a lot of competition in that particular niche.

i personally wont play it unless dieing is a very rare accurence....but good on them for trying something new.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Originally posted by Vannor

This video for it shows that cash shop items can be used to increase the chances of resurrecting your character (1:40):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Rgn8Xa-uT7o

...terrible move.

Pretty sure that's the new definition of PTW. Pay.. or permadeath.

That -IS- the new defintion of pay-to-win Agree 100%!