Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have one problem with gw2--No open world pvp!!!

Comments

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Wouldn't really work with the way the world is designed with the DEs. Now if that would have been taken into account when creating those maybe it could have worked. To be honest though seems the majority aren't big on open world PvP. If they did for the hell of it have a open world PvP server it would go over like a ton of bricks even with many that clamor for open world PvP due to the game's design.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Originally posted by Daddydazzle

no i don't miss that option. i've come to think that open world PvP is simply for ganking at this point, when other games have givin us other options. i use to gank, i use to get ganked, but after a while it wasn't too much fun anymore. it was more of a way to let off some steam, but it was often on some random dude just trying to gather mats. most of the guys i know irl that are still active in open world pvp games do it just to gank. what's interesting is those same friends of mine were all picked on heavily at some point in their lives. either by parrents, school bullies, or current jobs. i'm not trying to say this is how it is for all those active in open pvp, but it's just what i've come to see after my time playing these games.

i really like the way GW2 handles WvWvW. there's more then enough room that it feels more then just open. there are PvE objectives, and castle conquest. this is just my 2c, but WvWvW > Open world PvP.

I think you miss something- After some time most of players have high level character and attacking low level is provoking revenge and most of the time that low level guy wil get some help from guild mates what can escalate in one big aweome pvp battle :)

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    Originally posted by ariboersma
    no reason for it besides the weak or afk to be victems by the jerks out there.. it has zero civil purpose in a game like this.

But why not one full pvp server?

I have yet to see people happy with world pvp in games not designed with world pvp in mind.  It amounts to little more than corpse/res camping waiting outside of towns in lower level areas to pwn noobs, and whining when you get pwned.

Dont get me wrong, I love me some world pvp, but the game really needs to be designed with that in mind from day 1.  It cant be just a switch you turn on just for the sake of having it, because the rest of the game can suffer.  Having a not unsignificant death penalty, and yes, some safe(ish) areas are part of a good world pvp system as well.  It just wouldnt fit in here with the current rulesets, without completely redesigning the game.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by ForumPvP

it is a problem,to me also.

now if  I see for example player TuRbO_KilLeR   - Goon Squad -  ,he is following someone ,doing dancemoves all the time,this someone says " go away TuRbO_KiLlEr ,he wont,he starts dancing faster and jumping around him.... now stop.

in any other game wheres PVP ,TuRbO would be about head shorter right now,but,in GW2 my hands are tied.

only way to attack this guy is change my name to something like his,dance around him and fight  back like he does,no way HC.

or change server? log in some instanced fight and hope he shows up ? and when he does he logs out.

point is my hands are tied.

who the eff does this? and if they do report them for harassment! Did you by chance play wow? thats the only community I can think of that would be that assinine.

Yes and thats the main reason i played it after World PvP vanilla days , they gave me a world where i was able to kill that kind of guys,all the time,if my aggrometer wasnt high enough because of general chat (dirge an** jokes),i went to their forums and maan i was ready to kill some more,with tight character control it was heaven.

Let's internet

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    ForumPvP

You report them.
    Originally posted by Aelious
    ForumPvP

You report them.

No,i kill them,it is real pleasure to kill them a bit and then make them die,and it is not possible in this game,might be in the future who knows.

Let's internet

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

no i don't miss that option. i've come to think that open world PvP is simply for ganking at this point, when other games have givin us other options. i use to gank, i use to get ganked, but after a while it wasn't too much fun anymore. it was more of a way to let off some steam, but it was often on some random dude just trying to gather mats. most of the guys i know irl that are still active in open world pvp games do it just to gank. what's interesting is those same friends of mine were all picked on heavily at some point in their lives. either by parrents, school bullies, or current jobs. i'm not trying to say this is how it is for all those active in open pvp, but it's just what i've come to see after my time playing these games.

i really like the way GW2 handles WvWvW. there's more then enough room that it feels more then just open. there are PvE objectives, and castle conquest. this is just my 2c, but WvWvW > Open world PvP.

I think you miss something- After some time most of players have high level character and attacking low level is provoking revenge and most of the time that low level guy wil get some help from guild mates what can escalate in one big aweome pvp battle :)

how is that awesome? Lowbie getting ganked, cant play, cant enjoy the game, now there is a full out war in lowbie zone and NO LOWBIE CAN LVL.. oh also there would be a holes out there knocking opposite factions off jumping puzzles.. I repeat it WOULD NOT WORK in this game in fact.. I doubt it would be as popular as it is if world PVP was there.

• Originally posted by bubaluba

no i'm with you there, but it's always a numbers game in open world pvp. if you have some massive guild, then stomping the lil guy and his few friends isn't a lot of fun. again why i really like the GW2 WvWvW system (at least while population sizes are solid). you have 1000v1000v1000. when it becomes larger zerg vs smaller zerg vs almost no one the third team, i think it may start to fall off a bit.

• VanadromArdaVanadromArda Member Posts: 445

I don't see what the big deal is. You can still, technically, gank lowbies in WvW. They may be scaled to level 80 in base states, but it doesn't take into account armor, weapons, buffs, food, and additional utility and elites abilities you'll have. A low level character hardly stands a chance against a level 80 on, but at least they are a threat if not handled. WvW is ArenaNet's take on Open World WvW. It's been discussed into the ground like a million times, take it or leave it. Frankly, this game has so many people playing it --- no one really cares if you choose to leave it.

Edit: You clearly didn't read my article on WvW by now. You should read it, it'll take about an hour to roll through.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Falcomith
    Originally posted by Creslin321

That's right ladies and gentlemen, it's time again for the repeated GW2 CRITICISM OF THE DAY!!!  The exciting game where we spin the wheel of dislike to see what oft-repeated critcism of GW2 is posted today on the forums!

Will it be no mounts?  Will it be no raiding?  Your guess is as good as mine, let's find out!

[SPINS WHEEL]

And the winner is....no open world PvP!  You heard it here first folks.  Come back again tomorrow for the next...

GW2 CRITICISM OF THE DAY!

Wau! Somebody is offended :(. Sorry but most of the critic from mmorpg forums about swtor was because of bad open world pvp. So how is that now different???

I dont think anyone is offended really, I believe that the topic has come up over and over again on this site and most are just tired of seeing the same things posted. A little search in the GW2 forums on this site will bring up posts on this topic. You might find more information and opinions there rather than wasting time and effort posting something that has been butchered to death.

Indeed :)!  I was really just posting for the amusement of the regulars here that have read and argued in this thread 30 times already ;)

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    No I don't... Since I mostly play on PvE servers and do PvP only in battlegrounds it's not something I'll miss... Infact even in games where I was on pvp servers there's always a douchebag which is max lvl and decides to gank me (or corpse sit) when I level some of my alts and it's really irritating... :D

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

That's right ladies and gentlemen, it's time again for the repeated GW2 CRITICISM OF THE DAY!!!  The exciting game where we spin the wheel of dislike to see what oft-repeated critcism of GW2 is posted today on the forums!

Will it be no mounts?  Will it be no raiding?  Your guess is as good as mine, let's find out!

[SPINS WHEEL]

And the winner is....no open world PvP!  You heard it here first folks.  Come back again tomorrow for the next...

LOL!

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Yes and thats the main reason i played it after World PvP vanilla days , they gave me a world where i was able to kill that kind of guys,all the time,if my aggrometer wasnt high enough because of general chat (dirge an** jokes),i went to their forums and maan i was ready to kill some more,with tight character control it was heaven.

Exactly the kind of attitude I'm happy not to have in GW2. If you go as far as harassing people on their own guild forums because you've killed them in a video game, in my opinion you seriously need to grow up.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

now if  I see for example player TuRbO_KilLeR   - Goon Squad -  ,he is following someone ,doing dancemoves all the time,this someone says " go away TuRbO_KiLlEr ,he wont,he starts dancing faster and jumping around him.... now stop.

in any other game wheres PVP ,TuRbO would be about head shorter right now,but,in GW2 my hands are tied.

only way to attack this guy is change my name to something like his,dance around him and fight  back like he does,no way HC.

or change server? log in some instanced fight and hope he shows up ? and when he does he logs out.

who the eff does this? and if they do report them for harassment! Did you by chance play wow? thats the only community I can think of that would be that assinine.

the problem is that wow breeds idiots like this as there is zero consequence. Blizzard has rules they do not enforce in fact they promote harassment, stalking ect by doing nothing to stop it even though they have clear rules against it. So please do not compare that steaming pile to GW2 =P Also their forums follow the same guidelines.. they allow for harassment with none to little consequence.

+1

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by Falcomith

[SPINS WHEEL]

Wau! Somebody is offended :(. Sorry but most of the critic from mmorpg forums about swtor was because of bad open world pvp. So how is that now different???

I dont think anyone is offended really, I believe that the topic has come up over and over again on this site and most are just tired of seeing the same things posted. A little search in the GW2 forums on this site will bring up posts on this topic. You might find more information and opinions there rather than wasting time and effort posting something that has been butchered to death.

Indeed :)!  I was really just posting for the amusement of the regulars here that have read and argued in this thread 30 times already ;)

what happens if we guess the criticism? I've seen so much blood on this forums, as did many... Don't we deserve a panda or something? :D

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

Maybe what you are really looking for is intelligent NPCs... you know, the ones that sneak around in stealth and try to kill low level players and never stop chasing them and often wait for you to ressurrect so that they can kill you again and again.

You don't need real players to do that, they could make NPCs deadly.  But then, getting ganked by a NPC all day long isn't anyone's idea of fun now is it?  You can't kill them, but they can kill you.  Oh the rush!

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

no i'm with you there, but it's always a numbers game in open world pvp. if you have some massive guild, then stomping the lil guy and his few friends isn't a lot of fun. again why i really like the GW2 WvWvW system (at least while population sizes are solid). you have 1000v1000v1000. when it becomes larger zerg vs smaller zerg vs almost no one the third team, i think it may start to fall off a bit.

The 2 week turn around on servers will prevent this from becoming a problem. If a server only fields a few small guilds and individuals for WvWvW they'll keep losing until they meet opponents in the same situation, or of the same skill. It's safe to say the servers at the top of the ladder will be actively playing in WvW and organised. The opposite will be true for servers at the bottom end of the ladder.

It is just amazing how people like to forget that in most of games with open world pvp you have chance to play on pve server and there nobody can gank you
  • xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384
    You want to know what a big mistake would be? Adding OWPvP in a cooperative environment, it would go against the essence of this game. I enjoy OWPvP but it wouldn't work here, fortunately the coop aspect makes up for that type of gameplay and since its B2P you may also enjoy another game with OWPvP.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Exactly the kind of attitude I'm happy not to have in GW2. If you go as far as harassing people on their own guild forums because you've killed them in a video game, in my opinion you seriously need to grow up.

if i read their forums where people are rolling on the floor and laughing all the time and they see trolls everywhere,how im harrassing anyone,you think that i talk with them?? its my sword which talks sorry,seeriously you think that i start writing something that is my main reason to kill these folks? seriously,think a bit.

Let's internet

• sammandarsammandar Member Posts: 523
    Originally posted by Sixpax

[SPINS WHEEL]

Too bad there's no "Like" button on this site.

Spot on Cres... spot on.

Brilliant!

Vote YES if you want to see Creslin321 host the Wheel of Fortune! :-p

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547
    It is really not a hate thread and i really purchased gw2. Yes i am wow,eve,swtor fan (well ok  maybe not so much swtor anymore). I think it is a big, big mistake to make a game without open world pvp. My adrenaline rush will be so low and i could have 'that pve server feeling. RVR is just another instance or huge bg and  i really would  like to be able to attack anyone like in aoc. Do you guys miss that option to?

Oh wow this is like thread #294724 :)

First of all WvWvW is not instanced... seriously guys at least learn what an instance is.

Secondly.... no. Gw2's take on WvWvW is imho vastly superior to the gankfest and griefingfest that a small minority of players seems to like.

Remember: you are a small minority. People do not enjoy ganking and being ganked.

For 1 happy ganker there are multiple unhappy ganked players.

And no: attacking and ganking low level characters is hardly funny imho. I'ts just lame.

Yeah i know "hey! i only attack players equal to my level because i like a good challenge and i'm a nice guy". Yeah right. We know that's a lie and maybe only 1% of the gankers are like that.

GW2 wvwvw >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> old owpvp

tl,dr If you think ganking and griefing is very important in a mmorpg don't buy Guild Wars 2. If you like massive owpvp in a separate world then buy GW2

no reason for it besides the weak or afk to be victems by the jerks out there.. it has zero civil purpose in a game like this.

But why not one full pvp server?

Because it would be stupid lorewise and mechanical wise. And because it will separate the community. Not to mention frustrate people playing a game.
  • VanadromArdaVanadromArda Member Posts: 445
    [mod edit]

the problem is that wow breeds idiots like this as there is zero consequence. Blizzard has rules they do not enforce in fact they promote harassment, stalking ect by doing nothing to stop it even though they have clear rules against it. So please do not compare that steaming pile to GW2 =P Also their forums follow the same guidelines.. they allow for harassment with none to little consequence.

Oho! That is very rude and if i am sensible person i would report you :) Like most of the time people report me. WHo give you right to call wow players idiots? Game is made for fun and if people don't have fun in wow they would cancel subscription. You have chance to play on pve server if you are afraid of ganking

you need to check your eyes.. I said it breeds idiots I didnt say that all wow players were. I enjoyed wow for 6+ years but you cannot tell me with a straight face that the communtity doesnt decline daily in that game or you wouldnt have come up with the ridiculous scenario that you did. Also I didnt break any forum rules so exactly what would you report me for?

This discussion has been closed.