Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I the only one waiting on reviews? Also, combat appeal.

Comments

• jaybird50jaybird50 Member UncommonPosts: 23

Here is your safest bet.

Wait until it goes live and find a friend that plays and go watch them play. You're asking a question that only YOU will have the answer to, so the only way to answer it is play it and see if you like it. 

A video game, like all art is very subjective. For me personally GW2 is a huge amount of fun. I was so expecting the betas to change my mind but they only made me more ravenous. If I had played TSW  beta I would have not purchased that game, same for TERA . I wish i had waited...120 bones down the drain.

I have only had 1 dissapointment so far, but it is because I am an ahole. It was in the second or third beta and they had the cash shop working....the featured item was a pair of aviator "cop" glasses. I was so irritated that they would spend all the time and love on the lore and environments and then feature a pair of modern looking sun glasses as viable... It pissed me off quite a bit actually, but at the same time I have stupid high standards on games and realized that plenty of people would find it amusing, and that I could live with it.

Its hard being a game addict and waiting for someone else to taste our heroine first...but its the only way.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by pmiles

I suggest you save your money, put it in an IRA account or some other account that won't let you touch it once you've deposited it.  Then every day, like clock work, log into your bank account and see if it made any money.  Do this for 120 days straight.  Then, after the 120 days have transpired, ask yourself if putting that $60 into a bank account was more entertaining than playing a game with it.

I'm willing to wager, with absolute certainty, that having played the game, was far more entertaining in the long run.

If you don't trust the hype now, why would you trust the reviews later?

Have faith that you will atleast get $60 worth of enjoyment out of it.  If you can't see that potential just looking at the videos out there, then you probably would never like the game even if all the hype turned out to be true.

lol nice:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

If you are interested in the game, just go for it. It's reasonably priced for a new game and there is no subscription to worry about where you need to "get your money's worth" each month. And getting in at the start is typically the most fun rather than joining late. You get to grow/learn the game along with all the other newbs.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765
    Originally posted by D3lit3

Why is gaming humanity going through a seemingly infinite loop of hyping up mediocre games, and then complaining when the same games keep coming out? This has happened with RIFT, this has happened with SWTOR, how is GW2 any different? 

The overhyped themepark model is so easy to go into for developers because of YOU. I mean, GW2 doesn't even have open-world PvP. The PvP takes place on some magical island which is not connected in any way to the regular world. What BS. 

Thoughts?

according to this post, I don't think you really need any answers from this community, I think you should sway away from the genre and look over at DayZ which I am guessing more around your ball park.

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Of course not. Nothing wrong with waiting. I can definitely understand why. I watched enough videos to determine it was the game for me so that is why I purchased it.  I love the des. Find the world design interesting and fun to explore. Dungeons appear to be a lot fun. Can't wait to do some WvW. Hell I'm stoked.

Last few mmos I have played I enjoyed but I knew from the get go they were short term investments. This one? I think i'm going to be playing it for a long time.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• D3lit3D3lit3 Member Posts: 95
    Originally posted by itgrowls

This alone speaks volumes about how little you know. The reason for the limited abilties is EXACTLY to make pvp more tactical. It's definitely not a button masher like WOW or some other tab targeting game out there where you try to use counters to keep you from dying, IE arena matches (laughably called matches i might add)

How is it not? Are you not pressing hotbar buttons every 5-10 seconds waiting for cooldown?

so Arenanet is now using subliminal waves in their videos to drum up business? Ever hear of the Red Scare? Yeah that's exactly what you're suggesting in this post. I mean we're sorry that you were duped into buying games like SWTOR and WoW's Cataclysm, but to be paranoid about it isn't helping you.

Hyperbole is nice, isn't it? No, if you refer to my first paragraph you will see this is a human phenomenon. ANet a good developers and have no part in this phenomenon. 

Definitely not an issue with GW2, it's an issue with you personally, you need to stop buying yourself themeparks and start playing Sandbox games like DayZ or Eve.

That is true. However, DayZ is hacker paradise and its too late for EvE

this final statement reveals the true intent of this post. I'll be glad when they close the thread.

Why would ANYONE close this thread? Why are you so close-minded? I cannot say anything negative about GW2 without people asking for a lock, and yet the GW2 praise threads go on peacefully? Yep, this is why American society is freefalling into an abyss. Nobody respects anybody's opinion anymore, and nobody can take negative criticism anymore.

Originally posted by slowpoke68

I'm going to give it a month or couple of months to see what people are saying...at least that is my plan.  You never know, I may pick it up on a whim at the last minute.

I had preordered and played in a couple of BWE's but cancelled.  It may be that I was just burned out on gaming though...so I am keeping an open mind.

Personally I hope it suceeds as I would love a good pvp game to play and I love a lot of the concepts and ideas. 

When I played though, I couldn't put my finger on it, but it felt too much like a console game to me.

Also, call me skeptical but I can't help but wonder if these forums will look like SWTOR's, AoC's, WAR's etc. etc. etc. a couple of month from now.  Remember they were all the end all and be all once too.

That is exactly my point. As soon as people started waking up and calling these games on their BS, everyone just goes "troll, lock.". And then the game rolls around and the cynics are right EVERY SINGLE TIME. 

Why is gaming humanity going through a seemingly infinite loop of hyping up mediocre games, and then complaining when the same games keep coming out? This has happened with RIFT, this has happened with SWTOR, how is GW2 any different? 

The overhyped themepark model is so easy to go into for developers because of YOU. I mean, GW2 doesn't even have open-world PvP. The PvP takes place on some magical island which is not connected in any way to the regular world. What BS. 

Thoughts?

Why would ANYONE close this thread? Why are you so close-minded? I cannot say anything negative about GW2 without people asking for a lock, and yet the GW2 praise threads go on peacefully? Yep, this is why American society is freefalling into an abyss. Nobody respects anybody's opinion anymore, and nobody can take negative criticism anymore.

seen your posts man, like I said before this genre is just not for you, try something new

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    That is exactly my point. As soon as people started waking up and calling these games on their BS, everyone just goes "troll, lock.". And then the game rolls around and the cynics are right EVERY SINGLE TIME. 

Correlation does not imply causation.

Also, people hated WoW and EVE, and they seem to be doing fine.

So it's not even 100% correlation.

Just because there have been a lot of crappy games with cynics and criticisms does not mean that cynics and criticisms automatically mean there is a crappy game.

Sammyeli, this is sadly not possible right now. All current MMOs have one flaw or another and any potential big "sandbox" type games are still in betas and will probably come out on 2013. 

Thus the point of the thread. I was secretly hoping someone would come in and counter all my points to show me that combat does in fact NOT suck. Unlike others I keep an open mind and can actually be swayed. 

Trust me dude, I realize the potential of this game. Like I said, most things it does amazingly well like crafting, WvW, and the environments. If I could somehow get past the PvP I think I would be hooked, thus the purpose of this thread. It is not meant to bash and troll.

Originally posted by Teh_Axi

Thoughts?

[mod edit]

Please dismiss everything good I said about GW2, and how I acknowledge it is a good game. I belittle the combat because, in comparison to other games that I have played, it is lackluster. Simple. 

Originally posted by Meowhead

Just because there have been a lot of crappy games with cynics and criticisms does not mean that cynics and criticisms automatically mean there is a crappy game.

You are right. Usually...sometimes then. Even once is enough to prove the human phenomenon known as hype, and how deep it actually goes.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

I thought the early 'slipped' videos looked good enough for me to enjoy. After 55-60 hours in BWEs and stress tests....I decided for myself that I really liked the game and probably would for a while (hopefully a LONG while).

Note* While I don't know very much about the very controversial 'end game', the rest is more than enough to justify my Digital Deluxe version. Money well spent, IMO.

I do understand folks waiting though. A friend of mine is too. If the auto de-leveling mechanic wasn't in place, he likely would have joined (albeit with the desire to wait) with me. As it is, since I can come back with my main, if I don't decide to re-roll (which I will) he isn't worried about coming in a few weeks or a month after the game opens.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Thus the point of the thread. I was secretly hoping someone would come in and counter all my points to show me that combat does in fact NOT suck. Unlike others I keep an open mind and can actually be swayed. 

Combat does not in fact suck (For me).

Unfortunately, your problems with combat are largely coming from a dislike for flashier graphics than the realism style of Mount & Blade.

That's a matter of personal taste, and short of jamming a screwdriver up your nose and wiggling it around until vital parts of your brain have been altered enough you have new opinions, I can't imagine anybody changing your personal taste.

I'm not sure what you're expecting people to do that will somehow change your taste in gaming aesthetics. :)

• mmoluvammoluva Member UncommonPosts: 323

60$ is a lot in today's day and age. Now, I understand people usually counter this with the fact that that 60$ will bring more entertainment and value for a much longer time than other things, making it a good investment.

You aren't paying for a game good or bad. 

You are paying $60 for population.

Originally posted by mmoluva

60$ is a lot in today's day and age. Now, I understand people usually counter this with the fact that that 60$ will bring more entertainment and value for a much longer time than other things, making it a good investment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dt5Nf7ct5c

Seriously though, that is all you say on any topic GW2 related, and you have that non-sense of a video in signature with a bunch of adults who cant seem to leave the 90s behind and use some proper language, can you atleast be productive and explain your self?

Carl Sagan-

• kalrhaelkalrhael Member Posts: 87
    Originally posted by Meowhead

Except in WOW's case, they are minority. You cannot argue with WOW's numbers. The casual hordes love that game... period. 

Also, WOW (and the expansions) tend to be universally acclaimed by proffesional game reviewers.

HOWEVER, this applies to nearly every major mmo the past few years - they are ALWAYS and generally, pretty good games. 

Guild wars 2 will not be stranger to this pattern, people are looking for the perfect game that does not exist and probably will not exist in our lifetime. 

• MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407

Except in WOW's case, they are minority. You cannot argue with WOW's numbers. The casual hordes love that game... period. 

We'll see soon enough whether casuals have been "loving" WoW, or if they've just been putting up with WoW until something significantly better for them comes along.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by Adiaris

The only reviews that interest me are my own opinions or those of a very select number of people I've gamed omver the years...

Re: your last paragraphi, seems to me you just like FPS. Personally, I don't want my mmorpgs to play like fps et all. That's not why I play them.

/agree   I want to play mmorpg games not mmofps games.

Don't expect reviews until the game is released. Any review prior to release would be a waste of time reading as "this will change on release".

• ChewychompChewychomp Member Posts: 9

Theres nothing wrong with waiting for a review but in todays MMO gaming world almost every company offers free betas for players to check out the product and kick the tires for a bit so you pretty much have an idea if purchasing the game is worth it to you or not. For me personally I do not wait for reviews and do not play most of the betas, if the concept interest me enough I will give it a go for 3 months good or bad and decide from there. The one beta I did play this year was GW2 and I really enjoyed it, it just seemed to have everything I was looking for in a game for my busy real life schedule, not to mention being buy to play with no sub I won't feel the pressure of other sub based games with the need to keep up with everyone else, just log on do my thing with my guildies and progress at my own pace.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

I don't understand these posts.

"I don't like the way this game looks.   I want all of you to defend it against my perception."

There have been thousands of games that didn't interest me, that I didn't like the look of, or the feel of.   What I did was ignore them and look for something else.   I certainly didn't seek people out on each game and ask them why I should play it.   Life's too short.

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Thoughts?

I think you're ridiculously opinionated and ignorant, you dismiss things and belittle them just because they don't fit into your very limited view of what is "right". You past judgement on games you obviously have never played then look down those that enjoy them and act like that is perfectly ok, this entire post is just a testament to how small minded you are.

To answer your question however, no you won't like this game.

Please dismiss everything good I said about GW2, and how I acknowledge it is a good game. I belittle the combat because, in comparison to other games that I have played, it is lackluster. Simple.

How do you know the combat is lackluster?  Per your own words you have not played it yet.  So again how do you know the combat is lackluster?  [mod edit]

When I first read your post, I figured, this is a player that does not like themepark games but yet he wants to know if he will like a themepark game.  [mod edit]   If you dislike themepark games, they why would you care about knowing more information about a themepark game?  

Also Mount and Blade combat is not better than GW2 combat.  I have PLAYED BOTH.  Skyrim was also a very simple and easy game, no thinking required to beat that game, just follow what the NPCs tell you to do and you will win the game. (not a bad thing but funny people like you see it as sandbox and not what it really is, a themepark without rails)

Mount and Blade combat is easy after you learn how the combat works, it is button mashing like you said you hate but clearly you do not if you like M&B combat.  Sure you do not have a skill bar but you do nothing but click your mouse botton to block or attack over and over again while moving around to avoid being hit.  Hmmm sounds like GW2 combat to me and again I have played GW2 and know how the combat works, you do not.

Is GW2 the end all be all MMORPG? Nope

Is GW2 for everyone?  Nope, you are clearly not who this game was made for. (You also have no idea what kind of game you want but that is another story)

Guild Wars 2 will be my home for many years after playing the beta's and stress tests.  $60 for even a month worth of entertainment is beyond a good deal.   Lets forget the fact that $60 is nothing in today's world, shit $60 is what it cost to fill up my car when its on E. 

Sooner or Later

• IamAproposIamApropos Member Posts: 173

after playing MMO's for 10+ years now I haven't played an MMO for more then 1 week in over a year now.

I've been burned out on traditional theme parks for tooooo long now.  When I left RIFT a year ago I looked at this game as my last chance on the Genre before I pack "gaming" away and just move into FPS's.

I did my research and watched all available videos'.  I also learned that I could get a refund of my full pre purchase if I chose.

So with nothing to lose I decided to give it a shot to prove it for myself.  Other recently releases this year have been completely worthless to me and a waste of my time so I was a little worried this would be too.  160+ hours later and I've never in 15 years been this excited about a game....  So am I waiting for any more reviews / combat appeal?  nope I've proven to myself that no other game offers anything remotely close to what Guild Wars 2 offers.  Combat is challanging and rewarding and at levels 30+ it definitely becomes more coordinated oriented.  

The game is the only game heading in the right direction and provides an appeal to everything I love about Themeparks, Sand Boxes (which when they add player housing and guild halls will make me happier) as well as PvP.

If you can't figure out for yourself if this game is for you by all the video's in Aerowyns collection stickied thread then like others have said, this genre is probably not for you and or you are burned out and beyond repair.

Sad thing is a lot of people are burned out and blaming the game instead of giving the game credit for what its doing they are over simplifying and over catergorizing the great things ANET is accomplishing with this game. I'm not saying your doing this but so many people who are complaining about this game for the most part aren't providing much valid argument that doesn't fit into major issues of the game.  What I mean is most people I see complaning can't recognise for themselves they are just done and instead are trying to demand the game be something it isn't and then call it same ol same ol...

I was burned out and thankfully I wasn't beyond return, I'm excited that I have a game to play and one I can definitely see myself enjoying for 6 months to a year along side other FPS games coming soon.

IamApropos
    See where adventure will lead you!
    My PC Specs:
    i5-3570k oc'ed @4.2GHz
    8GB 1600 RAM
    GTX670 oc'ed @ 1.25Ghz
    Samsung 830 SSD.

Originally posted by Justsomenoob

I don't understand these posts.

"I don't like the way this game looks.   I want all of you to defend it against my perception."

There have been thousands of games that didn't interest me, that I didn't like the look of, or the feel of.   What I did was ignore them and look for something else.   I certainly didn't seek people out on each game and ask them why I should play it.   Life's too short.

It's more like

"I don't like the combat of this AAA game. I want all of you to join in and kill the hype train once and for all because it is affecting developers ability to make GREAT legendary games. Not good.

Originally posted by TdogSkal

Thoughts?

I think you're ridiculously opinionated and ignorant, you dismiss things and belittle them just because they don't fit into your very limited view of what is "right". You past judgement on games you obviously have never played then look down those that enjoy them and act like that is perfectly ok, this entire post is just a testament to how small minded you are.

To answer your question however, no you won't like this game.

How do you know the combat is lackluster?  Per your own words you have not played it yet.  So again how do you know the combat is lackluster?  Oh right you do not, you are just a hater.  Plan and simple.  Nothing more, nothing less. 

You should try some common sense and logic for once in your life.  Clearly you do not have either as of now.

When I first read your post, I figured, this is a player that does not like themepark games but yet he wants to know if he will like a themepark game.  Now I know why.  You lack common sense and logic.   If you dislike themepark games, they why would you care about knowing more information about a themepark game?  

Also Mount and Blade combat is not better than GW2 combat.  I have PLAYED BOTH.  Skyrim was also a very simple and easy game, no thinking required to beat that game, just follow what the NPCs tell you to do and you will win the game. (not a bad thing but funny people like you see it as sandbox and not what it really is, a themepark without rails)

Mount and Blade combat is easy after you learn how the combat works, it is button mashing like you said you hate but clearly you do not if you like M&B combat.  Sure you do not have a skill bar but you do nothing but click your mouse botton to block or attack over and over again while moving around to avoid being hit.  Hmmm sounds like GW2 combat to me and again I have played GW2 and know how the combat works, you do not.

Is GW2 the end all be all MMORPG? Nope

Is GW2 for everyone?  Nope, you are clearly not who this game was made for. (You also have no idea what kind of game you want but that is another story)

Guild Wars 2 will be my home for many years after playing the beta's and stress tests.  $60 for even a month worth of entertainment is beyond a good deal.   Lets forget the fact that $60 is nothing in today's world, shit $60 is what it cost to fill up my car when its on E. 

How is this logic for you - I open up a youtube video full screen 720p. That is pretty much me playing the game. I don't need a physical copy. Hell, I can even pretend I'm clicking the same buttons he is. I don't need personal experience in the game to more or less get a feel for the game. 

Do you think just because someone is not the driver of a car that makes him ignorant to the make, model, and specs of it? Themepark is very limited and if this Asura youtube guy is killing a fire elemental rest assured if I played I would do the same thing with different skills.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Waiting for reviews is the best policy.  Unfortunately, I am an early adopter, so I accept the risk of a pre-purchace.  Here's keeping my fingers crossed.

I self identify as a monkey.

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380
    How is this logic for you - I open up a youtube video full screen 720p. That is pretty much me playing the game. I don't need a physical copy. Hell, I can even pretend I'm clicking the same buttons he is. I don't need personal experience in the game to more or less get a feel for the game. 

It's utterly flawed, the funniest part is I actually think you believe that. 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by mmoluva

I aint one to miss a party... Good or bad your friends will be there at 10 to pick you up... image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"