Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defiance: What is a Shooter MMO?

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

In their most recent developer diary, Trion Worlds showcase the many MMO features of the upcoming Defiance (for Xbox 360, PS3, and PC). From the massive world to the player progression and story, this video sums up what players can expect from Defiance when it launches in April 2013. Check out the video below, and be sure to tell us if you're looking forward to the game in the comments below. Does Defiance have what it takes? 

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• BeilochBeiloch Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Well that looks awesome. Maybe we wil finally get a good MMO that doesn't have stupid-easy combat.
  • sgtpittsgtpitt Member Posts: 4
    Love it, can't wait - with trion behind it, it's sure to do well
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Firefall....is that you?

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    Looks good.
  • wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by sgtpitt

Based on what... Rift? ... :|

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    it looks great we shall see how it goes , frankly the show tie in means nothing to me at all
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Trion + Syfy = probably not anything good or interesting

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

The game looks interesting to me, the show not so much but I'll check it out. Hope it plays well, very important with shooters. 

• NightfyreNightfyre Member UncommonPosts: 205

The SYFY show I'm not sure about, with their track record for 'original' shows.

The game itself looks interesting, but has to compete with planetside 2 and Firefall.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by wormed

Actually why not?You may not like the kind of game Rift is which is a traditional Themepark MMORPG(I have problems with some of their mechanics myself which is why I don't play),but you cannot deny the support and love they've put into Rift since launch and the variety they have introduced into it with differtent kinds of content.

That alone is enough for me to keep Defiance on my radar and see how it turns out.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by Drakynn

Actually why not?You may not like the kind of game Rift is which is a traditional Themepark MMORPG(I have problems with some of their mechanics myself which is why I don't play),but you cannot deny the support and love they've put into Rift since launch and the variety they have introduced into it with differtent kinds of content.

That alone is enough for me to keep Defiance on my radar and see how it turns out.

Yeah, hopefully they can turn Defiance into a lobby game like they did Rift.  Yay.

:/

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Hmmm. We might actually have something here. I'm no fan of Rift, but I cannot ignore quality when it's right in front of my face. It will be quite interesting to see what Trion does with this title.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186
    Subspace.

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

Cant wait to try this out and the fact Trion are developing it means it's going to be a solid product at launch.

Regardless of what people think about RiFT, Trion have done a brilliant job with it since launch and see no reason they wont pull this off either.

If the syfy show is successful (another stargate for example) this could have major implications for the games playerbase, the same could be said if the show flops of course, either way it's going to be interesting to see if something like this can succeed.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Hopefully they dont cause the same server issue like last time. when 50% of your playerbase accounts get hacked in the first month. its not their fault its yours lol

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Originally posted by Drakynn

Yeah, hopefully they can turn Defiance into a lobby game like they did Rift.  Yay.

:/

IMO if it's become a lobby game it's because that's what their palyers wanted so blame them not Trion.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Well it certainly looks better than Firefall, which after playing it, isn't that hard to do. Still, looks like fun.

Joined - July 2004

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

Why is everyone so down on Syfy shows? Battlestar Galactica? Eureka? Everyone hates Alphas, Lost Girl, and Warehouse 13? They may not be the most highbrow shows on TV, but they are fun.

I'm really looking forward to Defiance, the TV show. It's being created by Rockne O'Bannon of Farscape and Alien Nation. The man knows how to create believable, three dimensional aliens better than anyone IMO.