Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No advertisement?

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by L0C0Man
    Originally posted by scotty899
    must be popular enough not to advertise. saves them money.

Personally I think it's this one. Sales have been up for months now, they know how many units they've sold and how many have been preordered, plus they have an idea of the amount of people and the kind of interest for the game based on the BWEs and the stress tests.

That said, they have done advertising. Granted, I haven't seen the first actual paid ad for them yet, but they've had lots of promotional videos, press events, interviews, fan events and things like that, without taking into account word of mouth. That's all part of advertising, not just ads.

i agree and I feel the 3 BWEs and how they staggered them was the best advertising they could of done and considering they needed them to test the game it was pretty much a  2 for 1

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by latinkuro
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by squalleonaha

Apple still advertising Iphone, Ipad whenever  they releasing a new one even though they have millions of fans and consumer.

there is no such thing as GW2 dont need advertisement. or at least officialy announcing the release date.

it's simple, when something unusual happen then it's probly having problems. kids who will play game for 1-2 months will never see these problem and they doesn't care about how GW2 will be.

don't worry your little head GW2 is going to be just fine.

THX Aerowyn, I will be putting thins one on my signature I love it that much the music is totally epic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=vOYP4ViTYzU

yea I play it with my sound system cranked up gives me chills just great stuff:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by Honner
    I do not see GW2 anywhere on the internet unless I look for it, and with less than 5 days until launch, makes me think if they are going to do some advertisement at all. what do you think?

I love Arenanet developers and I love the game they have created, but I've been saying for months that there is something deeply, seriously wrong with the Arenanet/NCSoft marketing dept. They haven't even properly leveraged social media, the cheapest outlet for advertising available in this highly digital world.

I don't know if NCSoft just didn't give them an advertising budget, or if the marketing/social media people just have no clue what so ever. If it's a budget issue, I feel bad for the marketing folks, as they become the scapegoats for NCSoft stinginess. If it's actually a question of talent, Arenanet has to kick a few people to the curb who are drawing a paycheck, while not even providing the services or skills needed to promote a fansite, let alone a AAA MMO with the potential for success that GW2 possesses!

I've also considered that maybe Arenanet already has the numbers they need to fill the initial game capacity with fans who didn't need to be marketed to and that actual ad spending will come later as they grow the brand beyond the fans. However, there are basic things, like social media based campaigns, updated game trailers and sponsored search results on Youtube and other sites that they haven't done, which really brings me back to questions of competence.

If this game fails to break the 3 million units sold benchmark by the end of month one, it will be almost entirely a result of the failure of the marketing dept. You couldn't ask for a better product to market, the game is a true stand out in the genre and also possesses very broad PC gamer appeal. If you can't sell this game as a marketing person, you are definitely in the wrong field!

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• hotixhotix Member UncommonPosts: 130
    I've been one of the few to trash talk GW2 and now I'm hooked. As an adult I know when I can admit I was wrong, and damn is this game fun. The sad thing is I still don't know what to play. Tomorrow will be eng/nec trials.
    Originally posted by hotix
    I've been one of the few to trash talk GW2 and now I'm hooked. As an adult I know when I can admit I was wrong, and damn is this game fun. The sad thing is I still don't know what to play. Tomorrow will be eng/nec trials.

eng and nec are my favorite classes play both!:)

• SorkSupremeSorkSupreme Member Posts: 9
    Do they need to? The GW2 hype machine is in full force; it's much more agressive than D3's was and that's saying something. Regardless of how great GW2 may be though, I'll be happy once the game finally launches so we could talk about something other than GW2.
  • Serin101Serin101 Member Posts: 103
    Originally posted by SorkSupreme
    Do they need to? The GW2 hype machine is in full force; it's much more agressive than D3's was and that's saying something. Regardless of how great GW2 may be though, I'll be happy once the game finally launches so we could talk about something other than GW2.

So why even post or hang around this subforum in the first place? I'm a bit confused.

• latinkurolatinkuro Member Posts: 121
    Originally posted by fiontar
    Originally posted by Honner
    I do not see GW2 anywhere on the internet unless I look for it, and with less than 5 days until launch, makes me think if they are going to do some advertisement at all. what do you think?

I love Arenanet developers and I love the game they have created, but I've been saying for months that there is something deeply, seriously wrong with the Arenanet/NCSoft marketing dept. They haven't even properly leveraged social media, the cheapest outlet for advetising available in this highly digital world.

I don't know if NCSoft just didn't give them an advertising budget, or if the marketing/social media people just have no clue what so ever. If it's a budget issue, I feel bad for the marketing folks, as they become the scapegoats for NCSoft stinginess. If it's actually a question of talent, Arenanet has to kick a few people to the curb who are drawing a paycheck, while not even providing the services or skills needed to promote a fansite, let alone a AAA MMO with the potential for success that GW2 possesses!

I've also considered that maybe Arenanet already has the numbers they need to fill the initial game capacity with fans who didn't need to be marketed to and that actual ad spending will come later as they grow the brand beyond the fans. However, there are basic things, like social media based campaigns, updated game trailers and sponsored search results on Youtube and other sites that they haven't done, which really brings me back to questions of competence.

If this game fails to break the 3 million units sold benchmark by the end of month one, it will be almost entirely a result of the failure of the marketing dept. You couldn't ask for a better product to market, the game is a true stand out in the genre and also possesses very broad PC gamer appeal. If you can't sell this game as a marketing person, you are definitely in the wrong field!

They have talked about this already.....!

there's a whole department dedicated to social media development for the game but it doesn't make any sense to have apps and stuff out that requires game connectivity. Chill the game will be out soon and than the social media portion will be in full throttle. 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

another good one for advertising 

Protectors of Tyria   :)

play it LOUD gives ya goosebumps:P

Freeedoomm!!! 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by Amjoco

Freeedoomm!!! 

lol notice the first comment for the video?

• Gymrat313Gymrat313 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Not a troll post, I will probably play this game at some point in the future because I think it will do well.  But people on this website are treating this game as if it is the second coming of Jesus, lol.  
    Originally posted by Gymrat313
    Not a troll post, I will probably play this game at some point in the future because I think it will do well.  But people on this website are treating this game as if it is the second coming of Jesus, lol.  

you guys have a manual or spreadsheet with a pre-written flow chart you are getting this stuff from?

• sgtpittsgtpitt Member Posts: 4

I don't know why people are hyping guild wars up so much, the game isn't even that good, the first one was nothing spectacular.

Typical fantasy MMO imo, from being in the beta tests, DE's copied straight from warhammer PQ system and Rifts invasions.

So much blind fanyboyism for a NCsoft/Arenanet game, when really nothing great has ever come from either camp.

I bought it anyway 'cause i'm a mmo veteran and that's what i do, but no doubt i'll be off playing Firefall, Defiance and Wildstar, because fantasy MMO's are getting real stale real fast.

Anyway once the hype wears off after 1 month and the fanboys pipe down, we will see where we are at, and what the next big game will be.

Originally posted by sgtpitt

I don't know why people are hyping guild wars up so much, the game isn't even that good, the first one was nothing spectacular.

Typical fantasy MMO imo, from being in the beta tests, DE's copied straight from warhammer PQ system and Rifts invasions.

So much blind fanyboyism for a NCsoft/Arenanet game, when really nothing great has ever come from either camp.

I bought it anyway 'cause i'm a mmo veteran and that's what i do, but no doubt i'll be off playing Firefall, Defiance and Wildstar, because fantasy MMO's are getting real stale real fast.

Anyway once the hype wears off after 1 month and the fanboys pipe down, we will see where we are at, and what the next big game will be.

two in a row.. swear you all must have a flowchart

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

you guys have a manual or spreadsheet with a pre-written flow chart you are getting this stuff from?

It's actually a 747  pre-flight checklist used by pilots re-worded for hatred.  They pass it around once or twice a day.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

Freeedoomm!!! 

Oh! You ... did not, right?

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

Originally posted by IceAge

Freeedoomm!!! 

lol jeez

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    I wish msoft would take a page out of anets book and stop advertising ie9. I absolutely hate that song to death now, to the point I mute it everytime it comes on. Sometimes adds can make you loathe something as much as want it. 
  • ClobClob Member Posts: 130

From my perspective it's not just this site.  Ok, maybe a lot of people that use this site have decided they're excited for it, but I've been seeing comments from anxious people all over the internet for a couple years.  Hell, it just won the IGN poll today for 2012 People's Choice Award against like 40 some other games across multiple platforms.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Originally posted by IceAge

Freeedoomm!!! 

lol jeez

*shrug*

Hence, that's a nice song!

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• rykim86rykim86 Member Posts: 236

Please don't compare the first GW with GW2.  The developers have said themselves the only thing you should link together is the lore.  Everything else...just throw the notions out the window.

Copied from WAR PQ and Rifts rifts....well, yeah.  I don't think anyones ever denied the idea of the DE system was based on another work.  But it's just done better.

Please don't confuse fanboyism for straight up eager excitment.  I'm a FF fanboy through and through, but GW2 is my most anticipated title the last few years.

I played both Firefall and Wildstar at PAX Prime 2011.  Both were....meh.  I know it was early for both, but neither of them gave that "wow" factor when playing.  The 45 minute demo I played for GW2 there went by faster than the 20 minutes I spent on both Firefall and Wildstar.  Just because they're non-fantasy doesn't make it automatically better.  They both still use very, very similar system to the MMO mold.

• SorkSupremeSorkSupreme Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by Serin101
    Originally posted by SorkSupreme

So why even post or hang around this subforum in the first place? I'm a bit confused.

It was on the front page sweety ;) (as were 5/6 if the current topics at the time) and I had an opinion to contribute to the topic at hand. Thanks for highlighting another issue with the hype machine, though; you can't say anything negative about a game when the hype machine is in operation otherwise a thousand fanbois who have tasked themselves with defending a game from all criticism come out of the woodwork to tell you have wrong your opinions are or just general hostility.

• PittyHPittyH Member Posts: 116

I just find it funny how you think you're the self proclaimed defender of gw2, i've been reading your posts laughing at how you think the game is the be all and end all of MMO gaming.

I used to think like that once, when i was young and naive..

It will be the same as the last 10 MMO's.. big for a few months, till the next big thing.

Me personally, i'm waiting for the ultimate sandbox, Archeage looks ok but meh it's asian, and they don't translate well. 

Don't get me wrong i'm excited for the game too, me and 3 other mates have bought it. We're currently raiding Infernal Dawn in RIFT, for us GW2 will be a filler between raid nights. TBH RIFT isn't even that great, i just log in for the raids.

my web design: www.advancedws.com.au

• rachmat19rachmat19 Member Posts: 29
    Dunno if it's been said or not, but there's an ad on it on the cinema yesterday when me and my friends were watching bourne... This is in hoyts in australia, if anyone wanna know...
    Originally posted by PittyH

I just find it funny how you think you're the self proclaimed defender of gw2, i've been reading your posts laughing at how you think the game is the be all and end all of MMO gaming.

I used to think like that once, when i was young and naive..

It will be the same as the last 10 MMO's.. big for a few months, till the next big thing.

Me personally, i'm waiting for the ultimate sandbox, Archeage looks ok but meh it's asian, and they don't translate well. 

Don't get me wrong i'm excited for the game too, me and 3 other mates have bought it. we're also raiding Infernal Dawn in RIFT, for us GW2 will be a filler between raid nights.

lables labels labels... funny how you stick labels on people then call me young an naive.. either way I been around these forums a lot lately(obviously) and have seen a trend of the same posts over and over and over.. someone who doesn't have any interest in the game comes and says all the fans act like or are saying the game is like the second coming of jesus and two the person who says they dislike the game yet for some reason bought it anyway.. could list about 5 others I have seen at least 20 times in the last couple days but either way it feels like they are reading from a preset manual. At least I'm trying to help the communty gain information about this game..