Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think a lot of the hate is fake...and misdirected.

Comments

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by rap4lyfe420
    WELL SAID, and i like to say Arche Age game ............... looks like another grind fest point and click button mash korean game GLHF with that fellows idk how ppl in this site rate there games but god dam stupid as hell

People like ArcheAge because of its premise. Whether or not it's going to deliver, that's a different story. I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the anime looking characters but the rest of the game sounds amazing. Especially for an old UO vet.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by Pravana

I don't honestly believe that people who claim to hate GW2 actually do. Many of these people claimed they've played thousands of hours of games like EQ, DAoC, and WoW. How could they hate a game that is stepping of the box while trying to attract most classic RPG lovers? There's been mutterings of the genre dying choking on the venom of their communities and the greed of publishers. Why would people who are so passionate about the genre turn on their own?

People are writing well formed posts about the game only be dead wrong about almost everything they wrote! They want to convince people that an MMORPG shouldn't be played or at least tried by fans of the genre.

I wish that people would stop pretending that its the game that they're hating NOT the fans of the game. I'm tried of the all contrived ways people are coming up with to justify their Gamer Envy. Yep, I said envy. Many people who play MMOrpgs play them out the obligation or habit but...................

IT WASN"T ALWAYS LIKE THIS. THEY USED TO ENJOY GAMES THEY PLAYED. 

The journey was the adventure. Challenge was fun not duanting. Gear was for show and you guildmates were family in every way that mattered.

Now  there's a game that has captured that spirit again they want to pretend that the game glaring flaws or shortcomings. IMHO they want to feel the excitement and wonder many GW2 fans have for their own game. They envy the experience that can't be brought with a box set or with a monthly subscription fee. It's the true love that comes with being a fan the game. Your gear can't show you love neither can your PVP rating. Only community full of passionate and welcoming fans can do that.

If you read through this thanks. I really need to get this off my chest.

I don't hate GW2. I hate the fanbois who are billing this is as "Best MMO ever released" when clearly it is just a more dressed up themepark. That's not to say you can't like the game, but Jesus H. Christ just because other people don't doesn't mean they're haters. Additionally, GW2 fans are coming off as "MAC" users, because you always know when a GW2 fan is in the room or forum, THEY'LL TELL YOU without asking.

Additionally, GW2 really isn't doing anything new. Heart quests are just more involved WoW quests that hide the "Kill 10 bear butts & return them to me for a reward" with a progress bar. It's still the same linear quest driven system with a higher emphasis exploration rather than being lead on a multi-colored string.

Sure GW2 is a decent polished product, but it isn't necesarrily where the market as a whole for MMORPG's needs to go, and my primary gripe is that GW2 fans as a group seem to almost demand that if it isn't GW2's way it's rubbish.

THAT is where the hate is targeted, and that is why the "hate" persists.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Sure GW2 is a decent polished product, but it isn't necesarrily where the market as a whole for MMORPG's needs to go, and my primary gripe is that GW2 fans as a group seem to almost demand that if it isn't GW2's way it's rubbish.

Then where does it need to go?  I'm genuinely curious.  We've already got gear grind games, we've already got static quest games, GW2 is just mixing things up, but what would you suggest?

You're not one of those perma-death people are you?

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

I don't hate GW2. I hate the fanbois who are billing this is as "Best MMO ever released" when clearly it is just a more dressed up themepark. That's not to say you can't like the game, but Jesus H. Christ just because other people don't doesn't mean they're haters. Additionally, GW2 fans are coming off as "MAC" users, because you always know when a GW2 fan is in the room or forum, THEY'LL TELL YOU without asking.

Additionally, GW2 really isn't doing anything new. Heart quests are just more involved WoW quests that hide the "Kill 10 bear butts & return them to me for a reward" with a progress bar. It's still the same linear quest driven system with a higher emphasis exploration rather than being lead on a multi-colored string.

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Then where does it need to go?  I'm genuinely curious.  We've already got gear grind games, we've already got static quest games, GW2 is just mixing things up, but what would you suggest?

You're not one of those perma-death people are you?

How can you have a true fantasy MMO if your char can die, then magically respawn again later. That's impractical and I will not stand for it.

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

And here we go, once again.... image

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by dzoni87

And here we go, once again.... image

Comeon now.. we all knew it was inevitable. No point in beating around the bush. I guess it could be worse though, he could of started a thread and threw that in there. Which would of been locked later and then people would complain that all negative posts yet again get locked while praise stays. Maybe because praise never really turns into a back and forth trollfest and people who try usually just get their one post deleted and then we move on..

• ReesRacerReesRacer Member UncommonPosts: 179

some of the hate may be fake and/or misdirected, or for attention's sake and easy trolling.

however...

there is a inherent psychology in developing a strong distaste for a product where its supporters are so incredibly invested in it that it becomes absolute. i've never seen a game rating so elevated for so long before it's release. i've played the beta. i've bought the game. the gaming community with which i am associated already has 100's of threads on our forums and more than 500 players committed to GW2. i expect to enjoy it, but i admit my enthusiasm is tempered by the overzealous nature of the game's proponents on these forums. there has simply been too much vitriol spat about to ignore. it is natural to transfer a bit of my distaste over to the the game itself, even if it is not logical to do so.

this phenomenon is not unique in the least, and not limited to GW2. look at the fans for various sports. ask some of the fans of Premiere League teams who they hate the most in the world (the ones that haven't been killed in infamous hooliganism over the years, that is). how many rugby fans absolutely hate the All Blacks? Dallas Cowboy fans hate the Philadelphia Eagles more because Philly fans have been so notoriously...well... fanatical (incidents include throwing batteries at players, cheering injuries, and booing Santa Claus). the point is that we want to see the other team (or game) fail spectacularly because we hate the fans, and vice versa. we can say we simply don't like the way the other team plays...calling it too brutal, too much finesse, too much passing...whatever. we can always find something we don't like about a game as well, be it sincere or merely a rationalization. rivalries are still rivalries, and it is difficult to admit enjoying something other than where you've invested so much of your time already. 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    "Hate"? I haven't really seen anyone say "I hate GW2". Hate is the word those on the other side of the issue label as negative opinions.  I doubt anyone really hates GW2, some just don't like the direction the game took, others just like to post to see the reaction. If people didn't come out of the woodwork to respond to such posts, they'd disappear quite quickly.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• pacovpacov Member Posts: 311
    Originally posted by Distopia
    "Hate"? I haven't really seen anyone say "I hate GW2". Hate is the word those on the other side of the issue label as negative opinions.  I doubt anyone really hates GW2, some just don't like the direction the game took, others just like to post to see the reaction. If people didn't come out of the woodwork to respond to such posts, they'd disappear quite quickly.

they don't have to say they hate GW2... all that is required is for you to make an assumption that they hate the game... hate is a big word to describe a negative opinion of people but it certainly exists.. haven't you ever seen people who say GW2 will also cure cancer, feed africa and save the economy? Those are the people that hate the game and get their fix from saying those retarded lines... haters will hate

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by pacov
    Originally posted by Distopia

they don't have to say they hate GW2... all that is required is for you to make an assumption that they hate the game... hate is a big word to describe a negative opinion of people but it certainly exists.. haven't you ever seen people who say GW2 will also cure cancer, feed africa and save the economy? Those are the people that hate the game and get their fix from saying those retarded lines... haters will hate

No those are the people I was talking about in yellow..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• FearGXFearGX Member Posts: 317
    GW2 is something new and exciting. I know I'll have fun. I tend to ignore hate/praise that isn't justified.
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

What I'm seeing here mostly is people who like GW2 and are well informed about the game correcting a small group of people, often always the same, trying to spread misinformation about the game, most of the times intentionally in order to bash the game.

Some people just aren't able to use their energy for something constructive, like e.g. helping the community of a game they enjoy, they prefer being destructive. And the same people critic those who do positive work for the community, like e.g. Aerowyn, because themself are unable to do something nice for their own favorite game.

And don't get me started on those who have some obscure blog about gaming on the net somewhere, and think that because of that, they hold some kind of ultimate truth about what games should be...

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Spot on there OP.

I just cant understand that if you played EQ 1/2 WoW / Warhammer / Aion / SWTOR why woulnt you get excited about GW2 ?

It takes away all the heavy playing till you eyes bleed grinding components.
    It focus on WvW
    It focus on Esports
    It has been designed to be balanced

If you have been following Wow for example, and many of us did or do and you take a look at MoP, Many people noticed that Ghostcrawler implemented a cap to stop people from getting the xpac done in 1 day.
    He also made sure you are forced back into many many daily quests, something people are so fed up with already, and he just made it 100x times worse.

You dont have that bad shit in GW2, the only thing i can say about haters on GW2 is, this mmo creates an enviremont for you to have all the fun you could prolly ever have in a fantasy mmo.
    You can almost do whatever you want from the 1st minute you log in.

Lets compare that to WoW who is 8 years old:
    You buy MoP.
    You make a Pandaran Monk
    You log in
    And your back in Valley of strenght.
    Level trough all the zones you have seen 900 times
    Vanila
    TBC
    WotLK
    Cataclysm
    Then you arrive at Mists of Pandaria

Now you ding 90
    Start farming daily quests like a madman
    Do the same gear grind for PvP we have been doing since TBC

I mean come on Blizzard, Your not even making an effort to entertain your playerbase anymore.

This is not a flame post versus WoW players, ive played WoW since the 1st beta untill 2 months ago (on and off)

But then i see Wow players bashing GW2 for

No Contend
    No real world PvP
    Dynamic Events suck seen it in Warhammer
    No gear grind
    Etc etc

Then i think to myself you may not like the way GW2 works, but saying that its a bad mmo is just weird....

I can expect Eve players saying lolz carebear mmo or something, or old vets from EQ.
    But what people need to understand is we have seen so many wow clones fail the past 5 years, and finaly there is a studio named Arenanet having the balls to take away all the mind numbing shit out of a mmo and build it up from the ground with Fun and competition in mind.

No pun intended, but WoW MoP will make another 1 million people quit within a month, they will get their belly full when they notice that the only thing to do is standing back in Ogri in Queue or grinding Rep with factions with massive ammounts of daily quests.
    They implemented around 300/400 daily quests -_- !
    If you like that <3 you bro, but damn when i come home from work i wanne have fun and not doing a shit load if daily quests.

Dont think iam flaming WoW players here seriously i dont, But with the money BLizzard earned the player base deserves so much more.

Back to GW2, 4/5 days left and man i have never ever been this hyped up before a game release.
    After playing a few beta's i said to myself, unbelieveble....Anet did it.

Also good critics are awesome, there are posters out there with valid concerns about GW2, and some i agree with.
    There is much stuff to improve for Anet, but the game come;s out this week.

They have a long long road ahead of them, and they listen to their playerbase, they even read posts on diffrent forums to check critics and shit like that.

I hope they sell 8 million copy's in a year, you know why ?
    So other developer teams look at Arenanet and make their games better, so in the end we have ALOT more choice what mmo to play.

• SicaeSicae Member Posts: 110

It is a problem when people join beta for other games and keep spamming how their game is doing it better. It is a problem when people spamming chat about how their game will rule and how this game will die. It is a problem that people keep spamming stuff about their game on a different games forum.

There is also the times when people mistake criticism for hate. If you make a comment about how the game has weak combat and saying why its weak, and you will have 15 fanbois saying you are a troll. Write something about encountering bugs, and people will ignore it because they never ever encounter bugs. Say something about the game lacking content, and people will accuse you of being a basement dwelling nolifer.

Its not something new and unique, because this sort of thing has existed ever since UO, EQ and AC and far from limited to mmorpg. FPS fans with mw3, bf3 and halo. Diablo 3 vs torchlight 2 vs path of exile. You also have the movie franchises, the oldest being star wars vs star trek. 

• MelodicMelodic Member Posts: 19

I didn't read whole topic or have interest to do so, but I wanted to tell you guys that the title is right on the spot.

I played GW2 through stress tests a bit and I even liked the game and I'm looking forward to the headstart this week. I quite like GW2 and I'm sure I'm gonna enjoy it. I'm far from thinking it's a "messiah of mmorpgs".

Just wanted to say: It's fun to piss off fanboys and spew blind hate left and right, and then observe how fanboys start to lose their self control ;) I did it couple of times on other sites, which were unrelated to gaming, but fanboys somehow managed to offtopic it there. I think a lot of hate generated is really fake(as I mentioned it's fun), because GW2 is really solid game so far and will have it's loyal fanbase to the end even when the bandwagon people leave it.

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

There are a lot of good posts in at least the first 3 pages, all making a lot of sense about the different potential explanations why gw2 did receive so much hate. I agree with you all.

And holy cow, if I was such a hater and I came to read those posts, I would feel terribly, terribly sorry and ashamed by now.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by Melodic

Just wanted to say: It's fun to piss off fanboys and spew blind hate left and right, and then observe how fanboys start to lose their self control ;) I did it couple of times on other sites, which were unrelated to gaming, but fanboys somehow managed to offtopic it there. I think a lot of hate generated is really fake(as I mentioned it's fun), because GW2 is really solid game so far and will have it's loyal fanbase to the end even when the bandwagon people leave it.

the relationship between trolls and fans can be mutually beneficial at times.

i'm so enamoured with this game that i don't mind talking about it all night long.. even if 90% of that talk involves correcting asinine posts made by trollish mmorpg bullies.  

its something to do involving a hobby i love.

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738
    Originally posted by DSWBeef

I see more hate directed at people criticizing GW2 from their community then from people who dont like them game. Say one thing bad about GW2 and you get gang raped by GW2 fanboys.

Not directed at you specifically, but let's make it clear yet another time :

It's because we don't CARE about those critics. We already know the flaws of the game, thank you to those armchair journalists, but we don't need their "exceptional insight" to see those small problems.

But yet, they still persist in creating criticizing topics in gw2 forum. It's not very hard to use common sense by looking at how a game is well received by a community, and then judge how unproportionate it would feel to create a 100% hate post.

Plus, as it's been said tons and tons of times, 90% of those critics are just pure miseducation about the game, or plain disinformation.

And finally, the most bothering part is that these people feel the need to create a 38729083290th topic about critic #3, that has been mentionned already tons of times in the past. So it means they simply don't read others in this forum. Personally, that's what I'm going crusader against. People who just don't frackin read other members posts and still feel the need to voice their opinion by creating YET another topic on the same subject.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I hate GW2 have stated many times why.. but that said im still gonna play it so i got somthing to jump into with my guild until DF 2.0 appears or somthing better.. Pre-ordered it for under £30 so i was happy with that..

I still think its just another themepark MMORPG and feels exactly the same when playing for me as all the others.

Still ill jump on for the PVP and maybe if i have time work through the PVE but im certainly not super super super hyped up about the game like loads of other people haha.. i just like the group of people i game with and thought what the hell may as well pick it up LOL.. but no way was i paying the silly price they are asknig on their website..

So is my hate for the game fake? no.. is it misdirected? no..

• MacecardMacecard Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by bansan

It obviously is competing anti-marketing compaigns.  I know people are stupid, but the absurd positions people take for or against games is just too inconsistent to be real.

You can tell easily who these people are when they do it because of their thread title.  They don't want discussion, so they'll ask a question which is inflammatory and imply that it's true in the title.  That way even if you don't read the thread, when ever it gets bumped you see the message they want to disseminate...for example:

"GW2 is just a WOW clone...shouldn't the developers have known better?"

"GW2 is p2win...doesn't it bother you guys?

"I'm really concerned about GW2 because of the lack of content..."

I also blame this for the raging hate and fanboism. Both sides are correct in that people are allowed to dislike a game and they are allowed to voice those opinions and the same goes for people who like the game, they are allowed to voice their opinion and counter what people who dislike the game say.

^^ This is all fine and shouldn't upset anyone if done correctly.

However are I have quoted, people write terrible titles (whether this is on purpose to provoke people or not I cannot say and can only comment on acase by case basis) and terrible posts which give the air of something being superior and considering that their opinion is fact and cannot be argued with. This type of post creates replies which are also terribly written and come across as angry, and why shouldn't they? someone has just written a post stating as a fact that the game they like is rubbish. This of course leads to more replies and the circle continues.

Personally, I like the games I like and I dislike the games I don't. I only post on here to back up people who have written good opinions (this post) and when someone has written a post with bad misconceptions or misinformation.

The titles like those above have to stop. There was one just an hour ago about WvW and world pvp. Seriously? we have had like 50 posts about this subject and clearly the result is WvW is great, its amazing in my opinion but I do not presume to think that is takes world pvps role in a game and I do not mind people having an issue with the lack of world pvp but to use it as a point to attack the game in a non discussional way is starting to get to me. So the game doesn't have the feature that you love in an mmo? so don't play it or disucss with its fans why you think it would be improved by your feature, but do not attack the game and call it sub par for not including your favourite feature. you're not the centre of the universe and every product in it was not made specifically for you so get off you high horse when something doesn't fit your needs.

I vote mods start rewriting titles or request that OP's do so when their titles are clearly provokative, this type of thread is lowering the quality of this forum and has to stop.

If you continue to make sweeping statements like you know what everyone everywhere thinks about a certain topic then I am going to shout at you.
    It easy to type 'I think this is the worst game ever'
    Rather than the 'This is the worst game ever'

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by coretex666
    Originally posted by k-damage

I see more hate directed at people criticizing GW2 from their community then from people who dont like them game. Say one thing bad about GW2 and you get gang raped by GW2 fanboys.

It's because we don't CARE about those critics. We already know the flaws of the game, thank you to those armchair journalists, but we don't need their "exceptional insight" to see those small problems.

But yet, they still persist in creating criticizing topics in gw2 forum. It's not very hard to use common sense by looking at how a game is well received by a community, and then judge how unproportionate it would feel to create a 100% hate post.

Plus, as it's been said tons and tons of times, 90% of those critics are just pure miseducation about the game, or plain disinformation.

And finally, the most bothering part is that these people feel the need to create a 38729083290th topic about critic #3, that has been mentionned already tons of times in the past. So it means they simply don't read others in this forum. Personally, that's what I'm going crusader against. People who just don't frackin read other members posts and still feel the need to voice their opinion by creating YET another topic on the same subject.

So if a person wants to discuss some aspect of the game which they consider to be a weakness, what are they supposed to do? Keep it for themselves because you dont care about those critics? If you dont care why do you mind?  If someone introduces negative opinion on something related to a product, I would not expect people to take it as personal insult. Why would they...

There are lots of ways to start a discussion over some aspect of a game. When it comes to GW2 it's mostly unconstructive posts without facts or anything to back them up, simple "hate" posts like "this game sucks" with no other reasoning than "because I say so". What kind of an answer would anyone expect to those kind of posts? An in-depth analysis as to why they are wrong? Maybe they should analyze why they feel in such a way first. And no I haven't seen a constructive post around here that was bashed or dismissed as trolling, we are just full of non-sense posts that serve no reason.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• KremlikKremlik Member UncommonPosts: 716

You are reading a public forum deadicated to a highly competive genre.

It's going to happen, it's not going to stop, best to just ignore all opinion for anything and just play the games you want.

Bring on the WARRRRGGHH!

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by seridan
    Originally posted by k-damage

So if a person wants to discuss some aspect of the game which they consider to be a weakness, what are they supposed to do? Keep it for themselves because you dont care about those critics? If you dont care why do you mind?  If someone introduces negative opinion on something related to a product, I would not expect people to take it as personal insult. Why would they...

There are lots of ways to start a discussion over some aspect of a game. When it comes to GW2 it's mostly unconstructive posts without facts or anything to back them up, simple "hate" posts like "this game sucks" with no other reasoning than "because I say so". What kind of an answer would anyone expect to those kind of posts? An in-depth analysis as to why they are wrong? Maybe they should analyze why they feel in such a way first. And no I haven't seen a constructive post around here that was bashed or dismissed as trolling, we are just full of non-sense posts that serve no reason.

When I say this, I obviously do not mean hate posts, so I will take the liberty not to answer your question of what answer I would expect to this kind of posts.

I meant posts that attempt at providing constructive criticism or expressing negative opinion in a correct manner. I think that people should be allowed to make these threads and that their opinions should be tolerated even if they are not shared by the people reacting to them instead of being told "We dont care about those critics".

I agree, that's the only way for any game to go forward.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    There seems to be a bit of nativity concerning the common Internet activity of "paid to post". The OP is right to suspect certain posts are dubious in their nature. Easy tells are load questions like "have you stopped beating your wife?" or "How long will it take Anernanet to fix the broken combat system?
This discussion has been closed.