Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think a lot of the hate is fake...and misdirected.

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott

You are correct, OP.  I don't hate the game itself.  Months ago when I first tried the BWE I didn't like the game at all. I didn't hate it though. I came on this site, brought up issues I had with the game, answered people's threads and received a rediculous amount of hate, I saw others with similar views jumped on 24/7.  I admit it's got a lot better since then.  I once posted a reasonable comment on a Youtube GW2 video about a problem I had with the game, my inbox was filled with dozens of "omg drop dead you WoW noob, get cancer"  it is because of my experience with the fans, I now hate the game.  I will be glad when it's out, people can just enjoy it,  and it won't be the biggest thing anymore.  I know I'm being unreasonable, but people can't help how they feel.

PS.  The emotion in your OP made me feel incredibly uncomfortable.

so you are basing your whole current opinion on the game over a very very small minority of people that will play GW2 and who post on this forum?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• KraylorKraylor Member Posts: 94

Fans of GW2 should just enjoy their game and not worry about the "hate".  Anytime a player base hypes the game up to the point of evangalism is going to have people taking shots at their game.  This game is one of the most hyped games of all time, maybe even more than TOR.  I judge that based on the thread/post count in the GW2 forums here. 

I think some people enjoy seeing players who built their expectations on a house of cards become disappointed.  Those who are not hyped up about this game see that it is not much different from dozens of other MMOs that failed expectations.  You can say that it is much different, and point to many different designs, but the core is the same.  Instanced themepark.

Waiting on: The Repopulation

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by jdnyc

Well I don't know if hate is the right word.

I would say that plenty have a legitimate complaint about some issues.  Like RPG story and presentation when talking about GW2.  There's plenty of great things about GW2, but people are allowed to hate/not like any game.  Doesn't mean they have some 'vendetta' against GW2.  In fact the worst thing about GW2 is the rabid fanboys honestly that have been making a bad name for themselves and the game.  From the numerous attacks on 'opponents' games like Rift to SWTOR to TERA to TSW and any other game in-between.

edit- oh and WoW of course too, but the giant elephant in the room kind of goes without saying.  ;)

not the point when every other thread is the same thing over and over saying the same misinformation over and over when theres 20 pages of examples showing the OP why they are off base. There is a difference between having an opinion or not liking or hating aspect A of a game but to say aspect A isn't in the game or is something it's not when you are shown 20 videos showing what aspect A is and is all about with numerous examples from players and dev's it gets old and annoying.

Comeon now Aerowyn, look at it this way, as annoying as it is, I can't help but think that at least some good has come out of it:

1. I'm sure a bunch of us can write this under "what I'm doing before realease", it's at least something to do...

2. Helped me, idk about others, feel better about the game and things that were added into the game and things that I enjoyed... although now it feels more like I'm pounding my head against the wall and regretting it not being the 25th yet.

ya... that's about all I got. Hope it helps you feel a little bit better. GW2 community appreciates you, we swear.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

not the point when every other thread is the same thing over and over saying the same misinformation over and over when theres 20 pages of examples showing the OP why they are off base. There is a difference between having an opinion or not liking or hating aspect A of a game but to say aspect A isn't in the game or is something it's not when you are shown 20 videos showing what aspect A is and is all about with numerous examples from players and dev's it gets old and annoying.

Well I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at.  Yes, there are tons of trolls for every game that do everything you're talking about.  But the OP paints way too broad a brush with people whom don't like the game.

For me for example - I like GW2, but I like the WvW.  I can't stand the PvE.  If all it had was their ranked PvP and PvE, then I would probably fall into that category of dislike.  That's GW2 on it's own merit and has nothing to do with 'fear' that it will take away subs from another game.

GW2 fandom has had a long history of annoying a large group of gamers from other games.  I find this thread a little funny looking into it in that light.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Not sure about the hate threads, but the "Convince me to buy GW2" threads are totally legit....

/sarcasm...

Originally posted by eggy08

I would say that plenty have a legitimate complaint about some issues.  Like RPG story and presentation when talking about GW2.  There's plenty of great things about GW2, but people are allowed to hate/not like any game.  Doesn't mean they have some 'vendetta' against GW2.  In fact the worst thing about GW2 is the rabid fanboys honestly that have been making a bad name for themselves and the game.  From the numerous attacks on 'opponents' games like Rift to SWTOR to TERA to TSW and any other game in-between.

edit- oh and WoW of course too, but the giant elephant in the room kind of goes without saying.  ;)

Comeon now Aerowyn, look at it this way, as annoying as it is, I can't help but think that at least some good has come out of it:

1. I'm sure a bunch of us can write this under "what I'm doing before realease", it's at least something to do...

2. Helped me, idk about others, feel better about the game and things that were added into the game and things that I enjoyed... although now it feels more like I'm pounding my head against the wall and regretting it not being the 25th yet.

ya... that's about all I got. Hope it helps you feel a little bit better. GW2 community appreciates you, we swear.

heh I know I'm just saying there is a big difference between someone disliking a game for whatever reason and having a discussion about that and what we have going on in these forums.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Why not just do what any normal sane person would do and just move on with their life. Instead of forum crusading about it like some other nutjob.

I see a title I don't like I play something else. I don't feel the need to make statements and crusade against things I don't like. That crazy to me. It would be a full time job. But people don't want to discuss the nutty part of it all. They would have to admit to a few things about themselves

Originally posted by Psychow

Not sure about the hate threads, but the "Convince me to buy GW2" threads are totally legit....

/sarcasm...

I couldn't stand those threads in any game.  It's like why?  Do your own research.  You either like a game or you don't.  That simple.  I'm not in the business of conversion.

heh I know I'm just saying there is a big difference between someone disliking a game for whatever reason and having a discussion about that and what we have going on in these forums.

I got an idea, lets bump every single hate thread, not post in it, just bump it, and see if that fixes anything. Then someone will go "I feel like [insert problem here] is a huge issue", pulls up GW2 general discussion and looks at first page... oh they alrdy covered that... nevermind...

Edit: Sad part is most of those threads got closed because of too many trolls and bashing. sigh...

Well I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at.  Yes, there are tons of trolls for every game that do everything you're talking about.  But the OP paints way too broad a brush with people whom don't like the game.

For me for example - I like GW2, but I like the WvW.  I can't stand the PvE.  If all it had was their ranked PvP and PvE, then I would probably fall into that category of dislike.  That's GW2 on it's own merit and has nothing to do with 'fear' that it will take away subs from another game.

GW2 fandom has had a long history of annoying a large group of gamers from other games.  I find this thread a little funny looking into it in that light.

which is fine and could be a good discussion but how it would be presented here would be something  like " I enjoy WvWvW but DE's suck and are nothing more that Rifts all are the same and have no point. There is no skill required to PVE and you never die, all PVE is nothing but a zerg fest..."

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by fiontar
    Originally posted by bansan
    It obviously is competing anti-marketing compaigns.  I know people are stupid, but the absurd positions people take for or against games is just too inconsistent to be real.

Yeah, I agree. Some of it is player envy, but at least a fair portion of it comes from people with an actual financial interest in one or another of the games GW2 will be competing with. They even seem to follow set talking points, giving themselves away by repeating the same mis-information that has already been completely debunked many times before.

Good call  , I think you really hit the nail on the head here ...In the early spring I called a hater out who had made over 800 negative posts about GW2 , in time alone that had to be at least $20,000 worth of effort ,I can't imagine that was just a mislead little fan boy from another game

I got an idea, lets bump every single hate thread, not post in it, just bump it, and see if that fixes anything. Then someone will go "I feel like [insert problem here] is a huge issue", pulls up GW2 general discussion and looks at first page... oh they alrdy covered that... nevermind...

Edit: Sad part is most of those threads got closed because of too many trolls and bashing. sigh...

heh well most are locked

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

You are correct, OP.  I don't hate the game itself.  Months ago when I first tried the BWE I didn't like the game at all. I didn't hate it though. I came on this site, brought up issues I had with the game, answered people's threads and received a rediculous amount of hate, I saw others with similar views jumped on 24/7.  I admit it's got a lot better since then.  I once posted a reasonable comment on a Youtube GW2 video about a problem I had with the game, my inbox was filled with dozens of "omg drop dead you WoW noob, get cancer"  it is because of my experience with the fans, I now hate the game.  I will be glad when it's out, people can just enjoy it,  and it won't be the biggest thing anymore.  I know I'm being unreasonable, but people can't help how they feel.

so you are basing your whole current opinion on the game over a very very small minority of people that will play GW2 and who post on this forum?

a minority that will persist in any community.  on the internet and not.

thats just how population samples work.

• PravanaPravana Member Posts: 48

As a GW2 fan I extended the olive branch. I agree that people should be allowed to dislike a game. I believe ALL RPGs deserve to co-exist with each other. There should be choice. All games have flaws including GW2, but to attack someone for being "hyped" about a game is wrong. It really doesn't  matter what game it is. 

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Some very vocal GW2 fanatics have been pretty vocal in their hate for games like SWTOR, TSW and TERA.  It's only natural some of that's going to come back to them.

which is fine and could be a good discussion but how it would be presented here would be something  like " I enjoy WvWvW but DE's suck and are nothing more that Rifts all are the same and have no point. There is no skill required to PVE and you never die, all PVE is nothing but a zerg fest..."

I doubt there is a single topic that at least 1 thread has no covered yet that's wrong with the game. I would honestly be shocked to hear one. Sorry, let me refraze that, legitimate reason.

Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

a minority that will persist in any community.  on the internet and not.

thats just how population samples work.

true but to base a whole game community on a single forum seems ridiculous to me

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Some very vocal GW2 fanatics have been pretty vocal in their hate for games like SWTOR, TSW and TERA.  It's only natural some of that's going to come back to them.

This.. for some reason GW2 fans want to feel like they are the victims. Like GW2 fanatics haven't been bashing every other game out there while waiting for GW2 to come out.

Understand that there are people on both sides of the spectrum and lay off this holier than thou attitude because it's simply unbecoming. I'm 99% sure if someone posts something negative about GW2 in some random insignificant forum like Eden Eternal or something, a horde of GW2 fans will be there to white knite it and repell the evil.

This happens for every major MMO release. Go ahead and act like ToR didn't get the same amount if not worse hate when it was being released.

Well plenty of things could be at work there.  It could be someone whom was actually attacking Rift in the past saying how GW2 was a virtual AI system of constantly changing world design.  I'm not joking.  If you look a year and half ago, you'll find some of those posts.  Now they see that they had unrealistic expectations and went to the other extreme.

It could be a bitter Rift fan looking for revenge.  It could be a WoW fan or SWTOR fan or TSW fan just looking to make you upset.  It could someone whom actually likes GW2, but wants to troll.  I guess after the whole TSW thing, I kind of just see this as Groundhog's Day.  Which is funny because I went through it with Rift before, but meh different game same crap.

Anyways, you all should just be laughing because unlike my fav game (TSW) - GW2 is not going to fail expectations.  It's not going to go under.  It's not going to see its company ANet most likely go out of business.

You guys have a blockbuster on your hands and anyone whom doesn't see that is delusional.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

Yes.  If I tried to be reasonable I could be,  I just don't care enough about the game.  If I was going to play it, I would just overlook them as a very small minority like you said.  I try to avoid posting about it, but certain threads (which are usually more general) just grab at me.  I don't go out of my way to "hate".

true but to base a whole game community on a single forum seems ridiculous to me

Well, it's not a single forum.  Not by a long shot.

Well plenty of things could be at work there.  It could be someone whom was actually attacking Rift in the past saying how GW2 was a virtual AI system of constantly changing world design.  I'm not joking.  If you look a year and half ago, you'll find some of those posts.  Now they see that they had unrealistic expectations and went to the other extreme.

It could be a bitter Rift fan looking for revenge.  It could be a WoW fan or SWTOR fan or TSW fan just looking to make you upset.  It could someone whom actually likes GW2, but wants to troll.  I guess after the whole TSW thing, I kind of just see this as Groundhog's Day.  Which is funny because I went through it with Rift before, but meh different game same crap.

Anyways, you all should just be laughing because unlike my fav game (TSW) - GW2 is not going to fail expectations.  It's not going to go under.  It's not going to see its company ANet most likely go out of business.

You guys have a blockbuster on your hands and anyone whom doesn't see that is delusional.

but you see my point i don't mind having a sensable discussion about what people don't like about the game but those threads almost never exist.. It seems 90% have some sort of agenda like you say and who knows from where or why.

Well, it's not a single forum.  Not by a long shot.

perhaps I don't frequent other forums but Quicklyscott is basing it off just this forum like he says

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

I don't think hating the game because of it's fanatic fans is the rigtht way to go, but I see where you are comming from.

Heck, just look at these threads in GW2. Any thread that brings up the slightest criticism is immediatly reported and eventually locked by the equally overzealous mods. And many of the zealots think it's cool or funny that those threads are locked...albiet...some of the threads certainly deserve it, but seriously...the report button /thread locking is way out of hand.

The best thing to do is realize the game is going to release in several days and the forums will settle down once the crazy folk get to play their game. I know I will be playing....

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

Well... most of those "hate" threads may be the out for the same reason why PK happens in open world PvP games (notice that i used "PK" term, not the "gank" one). There are plenty of "people" that get frustrated IRL (For example: Boss is yelling at them, their wife dont want to 'give it' to them, some bully put their head into toilet in case of younger scholars...) so they need to find a way to "empty" themselves somehow.

So considering an 'persistant online world', they find someone who actually enjoy and is happy in its game and is happilly picking flowers. Right after they decide to make the gameplay of earlier mentioned happy player, less happy in the same way their life is less happy. So they transform his happy flower picking into constant frustrating runs from graveyard.

In the very similar manner, when they find on MMORPG forum, a happy group of people eagerly awaiting their upcoming game, they decide to make their day at forums less happy by provoking with such a "Ha Ha, i will laugh 3 months from now when rest of you will cry when your game falls", "I dont like this game/feature, so it will be a worst video game and biggest fail ever released since E.T.", "Why do you like this game, i dont?", "This game cannot make me happy because im so f*king frustrated when others are happy as well" threads.

Really, people, try to find some things in life that makes you a bit more happy person and doesnt involve crapping into other's cornflakes. It really helps image

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

This discussion has been closed.