Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why 38 studios proves that F2P is not nessecary a good thing.

2»

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by MrNo
    The articals go on to say that:"that fact that it was free-to-play was what made investors most excited to invest. Schilling said, “Most investors wanted nothing to do with subscription-based products, they were all on the social media, and free-to-play games as a means to revenue.”Now if this is the case why did the F2P approach fall threw?
    A man dies of cancer. He ate white bread every day. Does white bread give you cancer?

Copernicus did not fail because it was F2P. It failed because they could not manage their funds.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Originally posted by Dampyre
    games cost too much to make F2P and microtransactions are the future i hope people realize this...Not only are they not going away, but expect more and more of this.

I don't mind microtransactions as long as they are fluff items, it's when companys introduce 'Pay to Win' items and have the balls to tell people that they are 'Convience items' ... lmao.

I prefer P2P or B2P mmo's. 

• BrenacusBrenacus Member Posts: 44

[quote][i]Originally posted by MrNo[/i] [b]

The game that would of been offered by 38 Studios Copernicus was planned to be a F2P MMO In a interview Curt Schilling states:  "We were going to be the first triple-A, hundred-million-dollar-plus, free-to-play, micro-transaction-based MMO. That was one of our big secrets. I think when we eventually showed off the game for the first time, the atom bomb was going to be free-to-play. When we announced that at the end, that was gonna be the thing that, I think, shocked the world." Sadly 38 Studios is now defunct. I feel bad for Curt I hope that he can contribute something to the MMO world in the future. I do not see that Sub based MMO's will be obsolete any time soon.

[url=http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/18/38-studios-amalur-mmo-project-copernicus-would-have-been-free/]Source 1[/url]

[url=http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/08/18/38-studios-39-mmo-copernicus-was-planned-as-free-to-play.aspx]Source 2[/url][/b][/quote]

Curt Schilling. lol.

• ScarlyngScarlyng Member UncommonPosts: 159

The articals go on to say that:

"that fact that it was free-to-play was what made investors most excited to invest. Schilling said, “Most investors wanted nothing to do with subscription-based products, they were all on the social media, and free-to-play games as a means to revenue.”

Now if this is the case why did the F2P approach fall threw?

The answer is simple.  They spent more money than they had.  What the governor of Rhode Island had to do with their failure to get more investors in time to right the ship is not really explained.  I suspect a lot more about their financial problems was not explained.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by Scarlyng

The articals go on to say that:

"that fact that it was free-to-play was what made investors most excited to invest. Schilling said, “Most investors wanted nothing to do with subscription-based products, they were all on the social media, and free-to-play games as a means to revenue.”

Now if this is the case why did the F2P approach fall threw?

The answer is simple.  They spent more money than they had.  What the governor of Rhode Island had to do with their failure to get more investors in time to right the ship is not really explained.  I suspect a lot more about their financial problems was not explained.

They really should have left money usage to people who actually have an idea of what the heck they are doing (I meant whoever was handling the money at 38 studios).

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    I have a feeling some of the big names (Todd McFarlane) they hired to hype the game took more of the money that should have been used on development.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
         This game never even came close to launch so it doesn't matter what payment plan they were considering.
  • MrNoMrNo Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by Theocritus
         This game never even came close to launch so it doesn't matter what payment plan they were considering.

Sure it matters it will determined who will produce the game. Who will be willing to spend millions of dollars in marketing. Sure OK not with Studio 38 it wont matter anymore. But for all of the MMO's out still in developing it will matter to those companies.

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by Theocritus

Sure it matters it will determined who will produce the game. Who will be willing to spend millions of dollars in marketing. Sure OK not with Studio 38 it wont matter anymore. But for all of the MMO's out still in developing it will matter to those companies.

You are using the wrong example.  38 Studios would have easily found a publisher if they actually had a functioning game.  However, what they needed was an advance payment from a publisher so they could pay their bills and tehy were too far gone for a publisher to risk investing in the game.  When the story hit the news they were already ten months behind on some bills.  The big deal that the governor refused to sign off on would have probably held them afloat for only another month or two and then they would be broke again. 

Whether the game was going to be F2P or not did not really matter since the potential investors had no faith in the game actually releasing and if they did not there would be any revenue coming in ever.

• Grimlock426Grimlock426 Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by Harttz

The failure of the studio had nothing to do with the payment model. They never finished the game because they ran out of money due to terrible mismanagement. Even worse, the parts that they had finished weren't fun.

It wouldn't have really mattered what payment model they were using because the game wasn't very good. Games don't fail based on their payment model. People don't say: "That game is terrible but it is free so I will play it!" and they certainly don't pass on truly high quality games because of a price tag. They spent a ton of money on artwork and story from their two big-name designers but they didn't make a corresponding investment into programming fun game systems. At best, the game would have been another SWTOR but I doubt it would have had anywhere near SWTOR's launch sales.

I assume you are refering to RA Salvatore and Todd McFarlane.  I don't know the situation with McFarlane, but Salvatore is on record as never having received a dime from 38 Studios.  All his pay was to come  on the back-end when it was launched.