Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should i buy this or MoP?

Comments

• StarfiredStarfired Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Originally posted by tank017
    if u cant get 40-60$ in a months time then I dunno what to say.

Eh i have 3 kids, i don;t have much money to spare haha.

• dookedoodookedoo Member Posts: 40

From your WoW experience, I'm pretty sure that you won't be disappointed by MoP.  But seeing that the expansion adds new content with minimal features, I also doubt you'll be completely surprised (in a good way).  It sounds like you only have played a few MMOs.  My first MMO was City Of Heroes.  When it first came out, I thought it was the best game ever.  Then I played WoW, then Vanguard, then Aoc, the LOTRO, then <insert 10 more MMOs here>. 

GW 2 is a different game made by a different company.  Different developers, different vision.  WoW is not the only MMO out there.  I'd say go for GW 2.

• GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Originally posted by Starfired
    Originally posted by Mardermann

If you have still fun in WoW buy Mists of Pandaria...

If you want to try something new buy GW2 

You could go nuts and buy both... GW2 is BTP - so no monthly fee...

WoW is a good game (yes I said it) - very polished, just not my cup of coffee

I have been in the GW2 Beta since the first BWE and I really liked it very much.

But its a personal choice.

But is it really anything new?

Nothing is new..it's just presented in a different way. With the core concept surrounding end game being everything and not racing but enjoying the journey. WOW the journey is the end, GW2 the journey is the begginning, middle and end.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I was playing SWTOR for a while, tried rift, Tera(which was awesome except for quests being terrible)

I love ranked, skilled, objective based pvp. Not much of a PvE guy anymore.

I just want a game that i can jump into easily, have some fun, then get off. Sounds like GW2 might work for me.

i cannot guarantee you liking the game but GW2 gives you easy access to WvW PVP as soon as you hit level 2

enter the mists, you are lvl80 for PVP and ready to go

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Well lets say i only have the money to buy one.

Then buy neither. Don't spend your life savings on a game. You don't want to end up starving and living in a cardboard box on the streets do you?

Originally posted by dookedoo

From your WoW experience, I'm pretty sure that you won't be disappointed by MoP.  But seeing that the expansion adds new content with minimal features, I also doubt you'll be completely surprised (in a good way).  It sounds like you only have played a few MMOs.  My first MMO was City Of Heroes.  When it first came out, I thought it was the best game ever.  Then I played WoW, then Vanguard, then Aoc, the LOTRO, then . 

GW 2 is a different game made by a different company.  Different developers, different vision.  WoW is not the only MMO out there.  I'd say go for GW 2.

Yeah i understand. I've played quite a few inbetween my WoW history, I like many others just always wen't back to WoW. Just dont wanna waste the money on GW2 if i'll probably just go back to WoW. I just wanna try to figure out if its THAT good, that i finally wont go back to panda land.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Originally posted by Pandamin

Your bait is weak.

I don't understand. I was being serious?

What makes it so new, that i would want to ditch my heavily invested in WoW account, to play this other game? Is it really THAT much better? I just don't get it really

Sounds to me like you have already made your mind up that you want to play WoW. Either that or you are baiting.....

If you still enjoy playing WoW then I would go back to WoW, but you obviously stopped playing for a reason, to try other games as you put it. Why was that? Is MoP going to change that at all?

If you are bored with what WoW offers, then buy GW2. It is new and different to WoW. No gear treadmill, no linear boring quests, no trinity etc etc. There is plenty of info on these forums and the internet in general about how GW2 is different to Wow. 

Also, remember GW2 is $60 all up. Thats it. No sub. You will have to pay for MoP(dont know how much that is, but what $40?) and then your $15 per month sub. You said that you dont have enough money to buy both... if you are that skint, then GW2 is your friend. Much cheaper in the long run. 

No one can make your mind up for you. You need to do your own research....

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Just dont wanna waste the money on GW2 if i'll probably just go back to WoW. I just wanna try to figure out if its THAT good, that i finally wont go back to panda land.

in that case,

wait a few months for a GW2 trial so you can be better informed

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

I have YEARS invested into my WoW account. I haven't played it in about 6 months, trying other games, you know the deal.

And the most obvious choice for all MMO players in the next two months is GW2? or MoP?

Anyone care to try to sway me either way? I just dont see what GW2 has that is so spectacular to earn such an enormous hype rating on this site. I know the obvious features, i've done my research. I just haven't played any Beta, so I am having a hard time choosing which to spend my monies on.

Thanks, 

Me

Are you enjoying WoW?

Pandaria should be essentially more of the same, with pet battles and harvest moon and some class changes.

But if you like this, and feel the sub is worth it, wouldn't you want to continue?

That is, assuming you could only buy one.

GW2 provides a different kind of gaming experience, so if you are NOT satisfied with your time in Azeroth, it might be worth the $60 for the hundreds and hundreds of hours of free content.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

If you have limited funds, GW2 would probably be a better option since it have no subscription fee. However, if you honestly haven't really followed the game, I suggest you do a bit of research on it before diving in.

Start with this sticky Aerowyn put together.

Good luck!

Edit: WoW would obviously be a safer alternative since you already know what the game is like. If you still enjoy it that is.

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463

Really man, ya gotta do some research and decide for yourself which one is better. I don't have any idea of your like's and dislike's for a game, but by asking other's which game you should buy, is like a sheep asking a farmer wich feild it should graze in.....

If I sound rude I do apologize, I tend to get annoyed when people can't make up their own mind.

Btw there are hundread's of GW2 gameplay video's around, take a look at some and see if you'd enjoy it.

• GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281
    I like and understand what you're saying about GW2, about the level playing field, dynamic events. Does that mean there is no gear grinding in GW2? What is there to work for then?

I thought you looked this up and did your research? Anyway there are posts with links on this forum as well...I think at the begginning of the forum to give you more info.

There is progression in this game and you will grind for gear as well. Just not to the extent that you would in other games. However you will probably grind for skins for that gear/weapons. Titles, achievements etc. Yeah there is as post on this very thing. They break it down way better than I can so I would suggest you read up on that as well.

Again like I said the game pretty much has all that it's just presented in a different way. It's designed so that your not always chasing that carrot, but that you more so are eating the carrot while your walking around in a dark forboding cave...oooooo scary lol.

People seem to think the work for thing is the catch...uh what do you work for in WOW exactly? you mean going through clearing the dungeon so you can get tokens for your gear? GW2 has gear and it progresses to cool/better gear. It's just that the stats are not all that different. It's more cosmetic and bad ass looking.

Perhaps you should elaborate one what your thoughts are so we can better make and informed comment.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I have YEARS invested into my WoW account. I haven't played it in about 6 months, trying other games, you know the deal.

And the most obvious choice for all MMO players in the next two months is GW2? or MoP?

Anyone care to try to sway me either way? I just dont see what GW2 has that is so spectacular to earn such an enormous hype rating on this site. I know the obvious features, i've done my research. I just haven't played any Beta, so I am having a hard time choosing which to spend my monies on.

Thanks, 

Me

Pfft. You know you will buy GW2. Everyone will sooner or later. Forget the hype. It will be there looking at you now, next fall, next winter... whenever you're ready to "...start trying other games, you know the deal."

And you know you will buy MOP. Anyone who says they haven't played WOW in about 6 months instead of saying "I've had it with the evil Blizz empire!" will buy MOP... next fall, next winter, whenever.

So... next!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BrenacusBrenacus Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by Mardermann

If you have still fun in WoW buy Mists of Pandaria...

If you want to try something new buy GW2 

You could go nuts and buy both... GW2 is BTP - so no monthly fee...

WoW is a good game (yes I said it) - very polished, just not my cup of coffee

I have been in the GW2 Beta since the first BWE and I really liked it very much.

But its a personal choice.

if you really looked into it you would know and wouldnt have to ask everyone here. took me about 30mins of looking online and a couple videos of the graphics to decide. then i got a bonus of having the pre order downloaded and caught a cpl hrs of a stress test.

• yaoming36yaoming36 Member UncommonPosts: 189

Umm isn't this kind of a biased thread? But upto you to decide. Look at all the changes WoW is making in order to lure in more players. And didn't they just lose 1m+ players a couple months ago? Upto you, stay with a sinking ship or jump on a motherfucken yacht

P.S Sorry for language, sounded funny in my head

• stringboistringboi Member UncommonPosts: 394

I think GW2 will be a good purchase just because once you buy it, you can play or not play as much as you want without feeling guilty about sub fees.  I love wow just as much as the next person, but to be honest...if your not logging in for days, weeks or months at a time after the fluff wears off....you may be getting over it.  I can barely bring myself to log in because I've done it all before, and I was a bit dissapointed after this last expansion when I began to realize....yah theres new content, but the game is basically the same thing with new areas and new factions/gear to grind.

If you can afford em both, get them both....I know I wont buy MoP right away but I know I will at some point.  I have many years invested in the game and cant turn down a new expansion.  But this time I can wait...I am getting burnt out over WoW.  GW2 will be my new thing for a while...when I'm ready to return to WoW, I'll buy the new content and I'm sure I'll get over that in a month or two as well and be looking for something new.    Not to say one game is better/worse, if your getting over a game....maybe you should move to something new for a little bit.  I know when I havnt played WoW for a while, the spark comes back.....for a bit anyway. 

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Buy both, no real reason not too if you are a fan of both franchises.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Psychow

Then buy neither. Don't spend your life savings on a game. You don't want to end up starving and living in a cardboard box on the streets do you?

Facepalm. So he can't have allocated money for only 1 game every 2-3 months by your logic? Stupid logic is stupid.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by yaoming36

Umm isn't this kind of a biased thread? But upto you to decide. Look at all the changes WoW is making in order to lure in more players. And didn't they just lose 1m+ players a couple months ago? Upto you, stay with a sinking ship or jump on a motherfucken yacht

Pretty sure WoW alothough losing 1mil still has like 9 mil subs. Its still a "motherfucken yacht", or a cruise liner

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    Originally posted by Psychow

Facepalm. So he can't have allocated money for only 1 game every 2-3 months by your logic? Stupid logic is stupid.

Oh, then buy GW2!!

There, happy now? Jesus...

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Pretty sure WoW alothough losing 1mil still has like 9 mil subs. Its still a "motherfucken yacht", or a cruise liner

And yet, you haven't playing it in 6 months.

• yaoming36yaoming36 Member UncommonPosts: 189

Actually I think someone had posted earlier that most of these come Asia where the rate is per hour... In NA is probably around 3m people... 

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

Thanks, 

Me

Hey there. I am in a similar situation and I chose Guild Wars 2 over World of Warcraft. Of course, I can afford both but I want to commit to something fully. So, I've played both Guild Wars and World of Warcraft since release and I'm ready for something new. I've seen the Guild Wars 2 community and I'm excited about the new take on crafting and questing, as well as the game's emphasis on exploration and community. Of course World of Warcraft is a good game and has many exciting features, but I believe its apex has been reached. For your time and money, I think Guild Wars 2 will offer a game you can grow with rather than more raid content and pet battle systems. It's exciting to start fresh and have those around you learning and growing at the same time. 

That's my two cents - cheers!

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by Pandamin

Your bait is weak.

I don't understand. I was being serious?

What makes it so new, that i would want to ditch my heavily invested in WoW account, to play this other game? Is it really THAT much better? I just don't get it really

I fail to see your issue.  Your stuff in WoW isn't going anywhere.  It's part of playing WoW, not a collection of automobiles in your garage that you need to keep in top shape.  I too have many years in WoW but I'm ready to take a long break, perhaps a permanent one.  I've played GW2 and to me, it blows WoW out of the water in sheer wonder, pvp, pve, things to do and they wont' gouge me every month for a monthly sub that apparently doesn't bring new content in the past 4 years of WoW enough to warrant having a sub in the first place.   But that's just me.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Thanks, 

Me

You might as well buy both.   GW2 won't be good enough to hold your attention for long, but it only costs $60.   That is if you don't buy any items from the Cash Shop.