Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why many wants TSW to fail

Comments

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by Dreskest

I hear so many complaints about the subscription model or the sub+ cash shop that I really think many people are not really against the game, but instead, they despise the business model.

Unfortunately, cheapskates and freeloaders are everywhere, and in most cases, they will opt to play something free or cheap like B2P  over something that has a subscription attached to it.

Even if they really like games with a sub attached to them, they will just pass on them, making up a number of reasons why said games are not worth paying a sub, and ironically, they typically talk about the sub price as one of the issues, and /or point to a B2P or F2P title.  

People expect expensive products to be better than cheap products. Playing TSW for a year costs 220$ or 220 euros, if you're European. That's a lot of money for a video game. You could buy four-ish full-priced B2P titles or TWENTY games on Steam when they're on sale or indie titles, instead. Many (including me) could pay ten subscriptions at once, but I'd rather pay for something else or buy my girlfriend a gift or go eat in a restaurant.

In the end, most people don't have too much money. Spending what you have on things with the best price/quality ratios isn't being a cheapskate or freeloader. It's being smart.

• DreskestDreskest Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by Scalpless

I hear so many complaints about the subscription model or the sub+ cash shop that I really think many people are not really against the game, but instead, they despise the business model.

Unfortunately, cheapskates and freeloaders are everywhere, and in most cases, they will opt to play something free or cheap like B2P  over something that has a subscription attached to it.

Even if they really like games with a sub attached to them, they will just pass on them, making up a number of reasons why said games are not worth paying a sub, and ironically, they typically talk about the sub price as one of the issues, and /or point to a B2P or F2P title.  

People expect expensive products to be better than cheap products. Playing TSW for a year costs 220$ or 220 euros, if you're European. That's a lot of money for a video game. You could buy four-ish full-priced B2P titles or TWENTY games on Steam when they're on sale or indie titles, instead. Many (including me) could pay ten subscriptions at once, but I'd rather pay for something else or buy my girlfriend a gift or go eat in a restaurant.

In the end, most people don't have too much money. Spending what you have on things with the best price/quality ratios isn't being a cheapskate or freeloader. It's being smart.

As I said in my post, feel free to agree or disagree. I understand your points of view, and I think they are all valid reasons not to get a sub.

My post was rather directed to people bitching and  complaining all the time about the subscription business model in TSW, or any sub based game for that matter.

If they're bitching and complaining, they're definitely showing interest in the game(s), but they want to play on their own terms.

• ChtugaChtuga Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

everyone in the mmo gaming world should want TSW to succeed.

why?

Because Funcom is the only company out there that at least tries to do something different or creative.  With games like TSW succeeding we might actually see the envelope pushed a little further and actually get some great games in the future.  Or we can just keep playing WOW err GW2 yawn fests

This is so true.

I dont think any new developer will try to make something new now.... Nobody will try to make something different. 

Why make something new and different when only a copy of what already works is what generates the money.

The players that want something different should support Funcom as this is a fight for the mmo future. Even if they dont like TSW. This game is really important , its what investors and gaming studios are looking at when they are discussing what to make in the future.

I predict a bleak and booring future for mmorpg gamers where everything will be a wow clone.

• DracillDracill Member UncommonPosts: 158
    I want story (good story) in my games so I bought TSW an keep a subscription. Im also doing the same with SWTOR.

Sadly, it is not what mmo players want.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Dracill
    I want story (good story) in my games so I bought TSW an keep a subscription. Im also doing the same with SWTOR.

Sadly, it is not what mmo players want.

TSW is much more than story, but the story is the best we've seen. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Chtuga

why?

Because Funcom is the only company out there that at least tries to do something different or creative.  With games like TSW succeeding we might actually see the envelope pushed a little further and actually get some great games in the future.  Or we can just keep playing WOW err GW2 yawn fests

This is so true.

I dont think any new developer will try to make something new now.... Nobody will try to make something different. 

Why make something new and different when only a copy of what already works is what generates the money.

The players that want something different should support Funcom as this is a fight for the mmo future. Even if they dont like TSW. This game is really important , its what investors and gaming studios are looking at when they are discussing what to make in the future.

I predict a bleak and booring future for mmorpg gamers where everything will be a wow clone.

Ummm I'm pretty sure the prevailing opinion on the internet is that Funcom and TSW didn't do enough to be different and creative for the vast majority of MMORPG gamers.

I really hope games like TSW and TERA and the upcoming MoP really do convince investors that copying the "race to max level and then grind gear and meaningless PvP" EQ-model just isn't going to cut it anymore.

Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by Chtuga

why?

This is so true.

Ummm I'm pretty sure the prevailing opinion on the internet is that Funcom and TSW didn't do enough to be different and creative for the vast majority of MMORPG gamers.

I really hope games like TSW and TERA and the upcoming MoP really do convince investors that copying the "race to max level and then grind gear and meaningless PvP" EQ-model just isn't going to cut it anymore.

I don't think that's it at all. Not by a long shot. If fact it's the opposite. 

No marketing of an unknown IP = low inital sales. Simple as that.

Originally posted by bcbully

Not according to all the metacritic reviews.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-secret-world/critic-reviews?sort-by=most-active&num_items=100

What I consider the most telling comment -

"There is a real MMO in there - a secret world within The Secret World - but it's estranged from the player, clouded by obfuscating systems and smothered in charismatic but stolidly single-player adventuring. Tornquist is a writer, the man behind adventure games The Longest Journey and Dreamfall, and it seems like he's more interested in telling stories than building adventure playgrounds, never mind emergent worlds."

TSW should have been a single player RPG - just like TOR should have been. They just aren't MMO enough.

• EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-secret-world/critic-reviews?sort-by=most-active&num_items=100

"There is a real MMO in there - a secret world within The Secret World - but it's estranged from the player, clouded by obfuscating systems and smothered in charismatic but stolidly single-player adventuring. Tornquist is a writer, the man behind adventure games The Longest Journey and Dreamfall, and it seems like he's more interested in telling stories than building adventure playgrounds, never mind emergent worlds."

TSW should have been a single player RPG - just like TOR should have been. They just aren't MMO enough.

Indeed it will be f2p faster than tor

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

Well, you are citing one opinion. And in this particular case, it looks like the reviewer prefers no story at all or one that is very generic and poorly written and it's just an afterthought, followed by mindless and shallow pve zergs disguised as "living, breathing, dynamic events" a la GW2.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

As I said in my post, feel free to agree or disagree. I understand your points of view, and I think they are all valid reasons not to get a sub.

My post was rather directed to people bitching and  complaining all the time about the subscription business model in TSW, or any sub based game for that matter.

If they're bitching and complaining, they're definitely showing interest in the game(s), but they want to play on their own terms.

The buisness model was a major strike against me amoung other things.  I see it as a waste of money to spend 60 bucks for the box plus sub when 1 1/2 months later GW2 was releasing and has no sub.  I like to get my moneys worth and do not see that in TSW and is more of a burning a hole in you pocket.  Yes the game looks intresting story wise and did enjoy the quests but other aspecs left me "meh" about and really don't see the merit for a sub.  Companies think that all AAA MMOs should be P2P and yet where does that money go to?  Development?  Hardly as SWTOR and Blizz proved.

It's like going to a clothing store and buying designer jeans when other jeans that serve the same practicallity and prolly more durable over the years yet at half the cost.

If the game was truely amazing then I would play it, but it's not.  A sub does not match the quality of the game.  It's not that I'm a "cheapskate" as I would gladly pay a sub for GW2 as I see it worthy of a sub, TSW simply lacks that quality in my eyes.

Originally posted by Ambros123

The buisness model was a major strike against me amoung other things.  I see it as a waste of money to spend 60 bucks for the box plus sub when 1 1/2 months later GW2 was releasing and has no sub.  I like to get my moneys worth and do not see that in TSW and is more of a burning a hole in you pocket.  Yes the game looks intresting story wise and did enjoy the quests but other aspecs left me "meh" about and really don't see the merit for a sub.  Companies think that all AAA MMOs should be P2P and yet where does that money go to?  Development?  Hardly as SWTOR and Blizz proved.

It's like going to a clothing store and buying designer jeans when other jeans that serve the same practicallity and prolly more durable over the years yet at half the cost.

If the game was truely amazing then I would play it, but it's not.  A sub does not match the quality of the game.  It's not that I'm a "cheapskate" as I would gladly pay a sub for GW2 as I see it worthy of a sub, TSW simply lacks that quality in my eyes.

And yet, here you are, admitting that the game looks interesting story wise and you enjoyed the quests.

If you read my original post, it was intended exactly to address replies like this. Your designer jeans analogy just confirmed it.

• EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633

Wow your hate of GW2 is showing. Listen TSW was never even close to being competition to GW2 so quit hating

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

Well, you are citing one opinion. And in this particular case, it looks like the reviewer prefers no story at all or one that is very generic and poorly written and it's just an afterthought, followed by mindless and shallow pve zergs disguised as "living, breathing, dynamic events" a la GW2.

Actually I am citing (with hyperlink) all of the reviews, which combine for a metacritic rating of 72.

I only quoted a single critic, but if you'd like I can find more?

I never said the story in TSW was bad, nor did the quote I highlighed, if anything one should determine that TSW has some amazing stories.

But the game is light on the MMO aspect, and what MMO aspects it does have are copy/paste from the EQ/WoW formula - you really can't deny that can you?

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

I didn't think people actually WANTED the game to fail. I just assumed that it wasn't gonna do all that great when I played it off and on for a week and got so extremely bored.

It's not bad, though, for that week.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Not just TSW but if a person wants any MMO to fail he or she has some issues and they should deal with those issues first.

Why are you playing this game over here? Look at the 700 user scores, that gave the game a 8.4.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-secret-world/user-reviews

"nirvycn

Ok, i can take funcom off my hate list. this game is simply stunning. I cannot explain how fun it is to have an MMO set in modern times. Kingsmouth is the single best MMO zone i have every experienced. How funcom pulled this one out of the hat i have no idea. Better voiceover quests that that starwars game, the best writing in any MMO by far. Interesting quests, no more collect x of y and …"

"Bobzitto

By far one of the most unique MMOs I've played in years, if not the most. It's questing system is designed to make players flesh out the storyline of the place calmly, instead of going through the rush of plundering hub after hub to reach the max level. The skill system allows for an almost infinite number of unique combinations(although min-maxers will possibly find the best for each role…"

Are you bored? I have about 699 more wanna go review for review?

Originally posted by Ehllfhire

Wow your hate of GW2 is showing. Listen TSW was never even close to being competition to GW2 so quit hating

You are absolutely wrong. I've never expressed any favorable comments regarding GW2, but I've never tried to hide my opinion and comments (they're all there in my post history) nor do I express blind and misinformed hate like you do on TSW forums.

My criticism and concerns about GW2 are perfectly valid, not the kind of nonsense that you post on these forums everyday.

And by the way, nearly every post I've written is on the TSW forums, where they belong because it's a game I play and enjoy.

Hate ? Sorry, but that is reserved to people like you, as your posts clearly prove it.

Why are you playing this game over here look at the 700 user scores, that gave the game a 8.4.

Are you bored?

Well yes, as a matter of fact.

No in all seriousness, I do not want any MMORPG to fail because that means hard working people are going to lose their jobs, which recently happened at Funcom - and that is not good.

But then at the same time, the people at the top who choose the direction a game will go in never seem to lose their jobs, and if they do it's after all the working people have already been thrown under the bus.

So on one hand, I am glad games like TOR and TSW and TERA were not huge massive WoW-like mega successes because I feel they are far too copy/paste and rely far too much on their "twist" or their "gimmick" instead of solid design, innovation, and creativity.

MMOs are massive undertakings, and some people who are really good at one thing shouldn't even try to step foot into the ring unless they are going to knock it out of the park (Bioware, Bethesda, Ubisoft, Bungie etc. etc.)

The era of "hey, MMOs are making a ton of money, let's do what they are doing and spin it different and try and make some cash" is (I believe) finally coming to an end.

The stagnation has been brutal - so as a human being it is sad to see games fail and people's lives effected, but as a gamer I support originality and creativity and risk rather then mashing out another clone game year after year (Modern Warfare/Madden I'm looking at you!)

Because sadly if the franchise is big enough, they will make tons of money and others will try and follow suit and fail (Star Wars, Bioware, Mythic, etc.)

Why are you playing this game over here look at the 700 user scores, that gave the game a 8.4.

Are you bored?

Well yes, as a matter of fact.

No in all seriousness, I do not want any MMORPG to fail because that means hard working people are going to lose their jobs, which recently happened at Funcom - and that is not good.

But then at the same time, the people at the top who choose the direction a game will go in never seem to lose their jobs, and if they do it's after all the working people have already been thrown under the bus.

So on one hand, I am glad games like TOR and TSW and TERA were not huge massive WoW-like mega successes because I feel they are far too copy/paste and rely far too much on their "twist" or their "gimmick" instead of solid design, innovation, and creativity.

MMOs are massive undertakings, and some people who are really good at one thing shouldn't even try to step foot into the ring unless they are going to knock it out of the park (Bioware, Bethesda, Ubisoft, Bungie etc. etc.)

The era of "hey, MMOs are making a ton of money, let's do what they are doing and spin it different and try and make some cash" is (I believe) finally coming to an end.

The stagnation has been brutal - so as a human being it is sad to see games fail and people's lives effected, but as a gamer I support originality and creativity and risk rather then mashing out another clone game year after year (Modern Warfare/Madden I'm looking at you!)

Because sadly if the franchise is big enough, they will make tons of money and others will try and follow suit and fail (Star Wars, Bioware, Mythic, etc.)

You are playing a game huh? Since you edited my post lets go review for review. Have you even played? 

"Bobzitto

By far one of the most unique MMOs I've played in years, if not the most. It's questing system is designed to make players flesh out the storyline of the place calmly, instead of going through the rush of plundering hub after hub to reach the max level. The skill system allows for an almost infinite number of unique combinations(although min-maxers will possibly find the best for each role…"

Say what you, but unoriginal is ubsurd.

Why are you playing this game over here? Look at the 700 user scores, that gave the game a 8.4.

I never, ever trust user reviews - people are far too different in their likes/dislikes and opinions and far too likely to vote 10 or 1 based on their own bias.

Professional reviewers are at least pretending to be objective and professional.

I read user reviews to get a sense of what people like and dislike, and professional to get a "general sense"of a game, but try not to really judge without first-hand experience.

I don't want to do this, but it is relevant... 699 positive user reviews? 9+ million WoW players can't be wrong right? Best MMORPG ever? image

You are playing a game huh? Since you edited my post lets go review for review. Have you even played? 

I hit "quote" before you changed your post. But no thanks! Read my post about user reviews...

And yes I played for about 3-4 hours and just didn't feel it at all. I really did try and tried to remain objective, I was just bored to tears.

I never, ever trust user reviews - people are far too different in their likes/dislikes and opinions and far too likely to vote 10 or 1 based on their own bias.

Professional reviewers are at least pretending to be objective and professional.

I read user reviews to get a sense of what people like and dislike, and professional to get a "general sense"of a game, but try not to really judge without first-hand experience.

I don't want to do this, but it is relevant... 699 positive user reviews? 9+ million WoW players can't be wrong right? Best MMORPG ever? image

Everytime you edit my post I'll add another review on originality.

Enik

This is not your father's MMO. I had some trouble initially adapting to the game as it's really quite different from anything else. The UI is sparse and it's got a very single-player game type of feel, so you can focus on playing instead of action bar layouts. The graphics are excellent and the overall atmosphere in this game is like none other. The quests are phenomenal. Instead of bei…

Your unoriginal post is just rediculous. To bad you edited that too.
    Ok, well, you can't try and argue/debate with someone this zealous. Enjoy and cya round!
    Ok, well, you can't try and argue/debate with someone this zealous. Enjoy and cya round!

yeah beat it.

edit - one for good measure

keysmachine

In an over saturated MMO world. an mmo has to do something different to set itself apart from the masses of games birthed from the loins of WOW. This game has what you need to make it different. the fact that there are no levels and thousands of possibilities to create teh character you want. the fact that the QUEST have finally broken the mold from go kill X number of X and come back here…