Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild wars 2 will have cash shops.

Comments

• azrael466azrael466 Member Posts: 365
    Originally posted by heartless
    Originally posted by azrael466

Well, admittedly. I don't follow GW2, in fact I have no interest in it at all and the only reason I know about this is because someone brought it to my attention on another gaming forum.

I just think its hilarious how the same things GW2 fanboiz(no one speciifc) used to bash other games and claim "this game suxorz GW2 is going to be the GOD OF MMOZOMFGWTFABBQ!", are now being ignored or excused when they get put in their beloved MMO...That isn't even out yet.

All the other games, like TSW, have a box price, cash shops and subscription fees.

GW2 only has a box price and a cash shop. See the difference?

other games, like TSW, are also PURELY COSMETIC, where as GW2 is putting in things like XP pots and karma.

So, its okay to put things that actually change the game experience for you, as long as you don't charge a sub. But if you do charge a sub, its not okay to even put cosmetic only items in the game?

I just want to clearify exactly what you're saying.

XP pots only apply towards XP from mob kills, which is incredibly tiny as it is. As far as karma goes, you get so much of it in the game that my level 19 I had no idea what to spend it on. Ultimately, neither the karma boost nor the XP boost ruin the game for other players.

You're correct on the second account. No subscription fee = mostly cosmetic shop is fine. Subscription fee + cash shop = greedy.

and what about the item that lets you get, according to the shop "boost to rare item drops"? and I never said they where majorly helpful, they do, however, change the game experience for you. Even slightly.

and no, its not greedy, its buisness. At the end of the day, video games want to make money, I don't even fault GW2 for its cash shop - I fault the trolls who try to use anything to make GW2 sound better while ignoring everything questionable about it.

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played
    WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

Originally posted by aesperus

You know, for an illuminati you seem awfully illinformed. I thought they were all about having accurate info.

Not to mention you're at least 3 months late to the party. We've known about the cashshop for a while, it's part of the B2P model. And as Aerowyn pointed out, there are quite a number of videos explaining how the CS works, why it isn't P2W, and why it's not even necessary to play the game.

Could you please quote exactly where I as a poster ever said this cash shop was P2W, without twisting my words or using a very selective quote? We're people here, not fox news we don't need those kind of tactics.

and you know what else isn't necessary to play the game? all the other little things GW2 fans are using to mock other games they dislike.

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played
    WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Well, admittedly. I don't follow GW2, in fact I have no interest in it at all and the only reason I know about this is because someone brought it to my attention on another gaming forum.

I just think its hilarious how the same things GW2 fanboiz(no one speciifc) used to bash other games and claim "this game suxorz GW2 is going to be the GOD OF MMOZOMFGWTFABBQ!", are now being ignored or excused when they get put in their beloved MMO...That isn't even out yet.

All the other games, like TSW, have a box price, cash shops and subscription fees.

other games, like TSW, are also PURELY COSMETIC, where as GW2 is putting in things like XP pots and karma.

So, its okay to put things that actually change the game experience for you, as long as you don't charge a sub. But if you do charge a sub, its not okay to even put cosmetic only items in the game?

XP pots only apply towards XP from mob kills, which is incredibly tiny as it is. As far as karma goes, you get so much of it in the game that my level 19 I had no idea what to spend it on. Ultimately, neither the karma boost nor the XP boost ruin the game for other players.

You're correct on the second account. No subscription fee = mostly cosmetic shop is fine. Subscription fee + cash shop = greedy.

and what about the item that lets you get, according to the shop "boost to rare item drops"? and I never said they where majorly helpful, they do, however, change the game experience for you. Even slightly.

and no, its not greedy, its buisness. At the end of the day, video games want to make money, I don't even fault GW2 for its cash shop - I fault the trolls who try to use anything to make GW2 sound better while ignoring everything questionable about it.

So I take it you also have a problem with TSW's cs and the fact that it has stuff you can only get from the cs?

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

again you can buy gems with ingame gold so no reason to spend any real money unless you want that cash shop item faster.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

according to http://my.mmosite.com/2221790/blog/ritem/upset_over_guild_wars_2_cash_shop_leak.html there will be a cash shop implemented in the game. Now while I won't go into any specific details this will include buying things such as crafting, experience, and karma boosts as well as a "find magic" boost which increases the chance to get rare items among the standard cash shop fare like renames and character slots.

Remember a few years when WoW announced they would be selling a few non-combat pets for real cash and everyone got their panties in a knot screaming about how much cash shops fail, no good game will ever have a cash shop, and they're quitting because of it?

Or how when TSW was being released, all the trolls went on and on about "lawlz P2W" when the only thing in the cash shop are clothes and pets?

pepperidge farm remembers. /flamesuit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLyxmD_UAK4

Seriously

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/359874/Aerowyns-Video-Compilation-of-ALL-things-Guild-Wars-2.html

Look under Hot Topics

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

I think people are just succumbing to the notion that every mmo these days will have a cash shop..

its either play or quit MMO's altogether,if youre not happy with them.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

Well thank you for being 100 miles behind everyone else.

Also, GW2 cash shop isn't Pay to Win.

That is all, Aerowyn and various others can elaborate.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Gear is incredibly easy to get in the game as it is. Crafting, karma vendors, quest rewards, drops. The game basically throws gear at you as it is. Best gear is purchased with tokens anyway.

Edit: also, unlike TSW, I can get everything in the cash shop, including character slots with in-game gold. So what was your point again? Oh that's right: TSW good, GW2 bad. I gotcha.

• Grotar89Grotar89 Member UncommonPosts: 347

Too bad TSW is not making enough money even with cahs shop and sub, they had to lay off pll. GW2 items are cosmetic at lvl 80 they have max stats and you can aquire max gear via PvE, WvsW, dungeons, Crafting and Karma, dont see problem with magic find kinda usless boost tbh.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by tank017

I think people are just succumbing to the notion that every mmo these days will have a cash shop..

That I think is a reality of the business like you mention. Also f2p, people need to comprehend its prevalent now and will be even more in the future. They will have to take it or leave it.

Originally posted by Kuppa

That I think is a reality of the business like you mention. Also f2p, people need to comprehend its prevalent now and will be even more in the future. They will have to take it or leave it.

yep

Originally posted by Enigmatus

Never said it was pay to win, if you're not going to actually read the post don't bother posting.

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played

Most AAA MMOs already had them, along with subscription fees for a while.

Never said it was pay to win, if you're not going to actually read the post don't bother posting.

So whats the problem u have with GW2 cash shop?

Most AAA MMOs already had them, along with subscription fees for a while.

yeah they did..

so anyone still crying about cash shops just needs to deal with them or not play mmos,becuase they are here to stay.

still ignoring the most important thing though.. no real money is needed to buy anything in the cash shop.. so the whole argument is pretty moot

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

I think what most people misunderstand is.

I'm not saying its pay to win, I'm not saying "OMFG GW2 IS TAH DEVILZ!", I'm not even against the cash shop - I'm not going to be playing the game, it doesn't effect me at all.

I -am- however saying all the "lawlz TSW cash shop is failorz because of stuff" are, in fact, hypocrites.

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played

I'm not saying its pay to win, I'm not saying "OMFG GW2 IS TAH DEVILZ!", I'm not even against the cash shop - I'm not going to be playing the game, it doesn't effect me at all.

I -am- however saying all the "lawlz TSW cash shop is failorz because of stuff" are, in fact, hypocrites.

Not really because TSW still charges a subscription fee. They are double dipping, which is not OK as far as I'm concerned.

Either you charge a subscription fee or you have a cash shop, not both.

Besides, everything in GW2's cash shop can be acquired with in-game gold. TSW requires you to pay real money, so they aren't exactly the same, are they?

No they are not

Box+sub+cash shop is unacceptable today

Box+ cash shop is more okay + you can buy stuff from cash shop without real money, you can trade in game gold for cash shop currency.

Those ppl just dont want to be milked by Funcom.

are you trying to ignore what I'm saying? many people don't like TSW and other cash shops because you NEED real money to buy things in the shop.. in GW2 you can get every item in the cash shop without spending a single penny of real money

• ddd47ddd47 Member UncommonPosts: 15

What ????????  GW2 will  have a cash shop ...............??????

I'm shocked......................

Originally posted by Grotar89

No they are not

Box+sub+cash shop is unacceptable today

Box+ cash shop is more okay + you can buy stuff from cash shop without real money, you can trade in game gold for cash shop currency.

Those ppl just dont want to be milked by Funcom.

Sept, that, they are because games that have subs and cash shop are entirely cosmetic. You get ABSOLUTELY NOTHING from the cash shop that helps you in ANY, WAY. If they offered things like exp potions in the cash shop. THEN it would be comparable and unacceptable.

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played

Originally posted by Aerowyn

are you trying to ignore what I'm saying? many people don't like TSW and other cash shops because you NEED real money to buy things in the shop.. in GW2 you can get every item in the cash shop without spending a single penny of real money

You're really the only person whos said that, everyone else is making different excuses..

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played

Sept, that, they are because games that have subs and cash shop are entirely cosmetic. You get ABSOLUTELY NOTHING from the cash shop that helps you in ANY, WAY. If they offered things like exp potions in the cash shop. THEN it would be comparable and unacceptable.

cosmetic gear like in GW2 is HUGE in TSW.. so I can see people getting mad they can't get certain pieces of clothing in TSW without spending real money

Originally posted by Aerowyn

You're really the only person whos said that, everyone else is making different excuses..

yea but I said it a couple times.. guess you just missed it.

This discussion has been closed.