Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Salem: Beta Key Handout!

Comments

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Kaez
    It's definitely slow in the beginning but once you start to get the skills, things open up and it gets a lot better. The main thing to keep in mind is that the further away from town you are, the better. You'll find stuff everywhere eventually. All I can say is give it some time and you might change your mind.

Was going to hop back in shortly, and I'm hoping maybe you can help me out. How do I gain skills, make money or advance in the game? Is there a tutorial on the web? The ingame one has me blocked at a task to spend 30 silver that I dont have.

Just go out and explore.  I believe when I got a certain skill I got the silver to get a homestead.  I went back to town, talked to a guide and he transported me to a random place that I made my home.

I got into the beta several months ago and have been trying to play it off and on, but the frustrating thing to me is that once you have stuff in your inventory you can't fast travel anywhere.  So if you go out and explore and find some nice crafting materials, you better remember how to get back to your base.  I guess this is like H&H, or I am surely doing it wrong?  It's still beta but the game is very rough around the edges.  The skill system is pretty neat though.

• DkompozeDkompoze Member UncommonPosts: 245
    These keys went fast :(:(:(:( - i missed the first invitations a couple months back and missed this one by minutes - i was on mmorpg and nothing about salem - went out for dinner come back salem beta key giveaway is happening and all keys are gone :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
  • alloinalloin Member UncommonPosts: 135

You have to give this game patience, it's a very neat game once u get the hang of it, you can make a settlement like the one below in about 2-4 weeks casual play. Combat and PVP is intense at higher levels.

I do agree the game has a high learning curve, doing some research and reading the wiki ( http://salemwiki.info/index.php/Main_Page ) will help alot

We are all satoshi!
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by cronius77
    i think its always so damn hilarious when you get like 1 or two people in total denial that the game sucks and its everybody else here that is wrong and stupid. Seriously get a clue if 95% of the population here say it sucks the damn thing sucks , stop being rabid fans and learn to take criticism of the games you play. This game is a POS just like H&H was . The crafting is terrible , the UI is terrible, the graphics are beyond terrible , and there is nothing at all fun about going searching a damn forest for 2 leaves to craft some stupid mask just so you can skill up 1 pt. I understand you might relish hard games but there is a difference between hard and challanging and just plain stupid mechanics that make absolutely no sense at all. Why the heck with 50 zillion leaves on the ground do i have to wander miles away from town to find a leaf? Seriously if you are going to defend a game at least go defend like Xyson or something because at least they actually are passionate about making a quality crafting game. Also permadeath in a game that makes you spend a week trying to get one skill rank? yeah i bet you will easily have your pick of land anywhere you want as no ones seriously going to waste their time with this when their are far better sandbox games out already or releasing.

Why is the crafting terrible? The standard UI is indeed terrible compared to the custom community clients. The graphics is terrible, I agree. 

About your mask: there are numerous way to level up and getting a masque is one of the hardest ones, you chose a hard path and evidently you were too stubborn to try a new approach. You could have used Smooth Stone, Rock Maracas, Chestnut or Grass Whistle to level up, but instead you aimed for the Maple Leaf Masque. 

As other people have pointed out in thread: you could have just realized that there will be large competition for items near Boston, so it is a good strategy to head far out so that there are less people to compete with over resources.

Another strategy which is very effective and people didn't mention: collect 5 autumn grasses then just go to Boston and trade with a player in exchange for curiosities which give the proficiences you need to level up. You could also sell granite to players (which you can find along the beach) for 1 to 2 silver each, which can then be used to buy inspirational from players.

Heck, several players were even willing to donate inspirationals to help out newbies. This game has a lot to offer if you are willing to actually interact with other players. 

About your "weeks trying to get one skill rank": see above, it is harder at the start due to competition near Boston, but there are many strategies to get past that.

The first thing a new player should try to do is to learn the skill named "Survival Skills", because it gives them a buff that will allow them to use the NPC called "Wilderness Guide" in Boston one time for free to be teleported randomly to a location in the tremendous world. Using that teleport, they will get a building at their destination called "leanto" which they can use to teleport back and forth from/to Boston with intact inventory.

Critizism is fine, but motivate your critizism so people can reply.

It's definitely slow in the beginning but once you start to get the skills, things open up and it gets a lot better. The main thing to keep in mind is that the further away from town you are, the better. You'll find stuff everywhere eventually. All I can say is give it some time and you might change your mind.

Was going to hop back in shortly, and I'm hoping maybe you can help me out. How do I gain skills, make money or advance in the game? Is there a tutorial on the web? The ingame one has me blocked at a task to spend 30 silver that I dont have.

If you had taken your time to actually type "Salem Wiki" into google, you would have noticed the link http://salemwiki.info/ which is the main wiki site for the game. If you had then taken your time to actual visit that page, you would have seen a clear link to "video tutorials", which links you to http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL40EED5C12318C1C2&feature=g-all-a and happens to be an enormous list of videos covering practically all aspects of the game.

As for making money ("silver") trading with other players is the most effecient way for new players. Gain skills by studying inspirationals and getting enough points to learn skills in the skill interface. 

For the 30 silver: as soon as you learn the skill "Survival Skills", you can use that NPC to port once for free (see above post).

Originally posted by Worstluck

Just go out and explore.  I believe when I got a certain skill I got the silver to get a homestead.  I went back to town, talked to a guide and he transported me to a random place that I made my home.

I got into the beta several months ago and have been trying to play it off and on, but the frustrating thing to me is that once you have stuff in your inventory you can't fast travel anywhere.  So if you go out and explore and find some nice crafting materials, you better remember how to get back to your base.  I guess this is like H&H, or I am surely doing it wrong?  It's still beta but the game is very rough around the edges.  The skill system is pretty neat though.

Yes, you need to memorize where your homestead is because fast travel works only between Boston and your homestead.  Once you get the skill "hiking", you can create a new leanto, then set it as your homestead (old one wouldn't work anymore) and then use that to port to Boston.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Psychow

Is your task, "Leave Boston"? Just walk north out of town. That's it.

You don't need 30 silver to leave Boston, Psy :)

It's the one where I need to learn a certain skill which costs points or get a trainer for the homestead which costs money. Nothing so far (nor any post here) has explained how to get either.

Alloin, I checked out that wiki and the guide on the forums that is linked there:

• - suggests getting an alternate client
    • - states that if someone starts looking dangerous or threatening, simply log out by closing the client and check to make sure your Javaw process is dead. If not, crash it.

Is this good advice for a new player or should I avoid doing either of those?

Thank you, btw, for the link.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DkompozeDkompoze Member UncommonPosts: 245
    if anyone has a spare key- i will trade my child for it- pretty please- pm me
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    I tried logging in. Cannot connect to server. Is it just me or is the server down?

Is your task, "Leave Boston"? Just walk north out of town. That's it.

You don't need 30 silver to leave Boston, Psy :)

It's the one where I need to learn a certain skill which costs points or get a trainer for the homestead which costs money. Nothing so far (nor any post here) has explained how to get either.

Alloin, I checked out that wiki and the guide on the forums that is linked there:

• - suggests getting an alternate client
    • - states that if someone starts looking dangerous or threatening, simply log out by closing the client and check to make sure your Javaw process is dead. If not, crash it.

Is this good advice for a new player or should I avoid doing either of those?

Thank you, btw, for the link.

Rephrase "Trainer for the homestead" sentence, because I am not quite understanding what you are refering to. About silver: certain items can be sold to NPC Store for silver, but it is far more effective to trade with players. 

Community custom client is pretty much mandatory given that the developers are just two and community made two custom clients. The devs focused partially because of that to focus on other aspects of the game. It is not an excuse, but it is reality: use the community custom clients.

About someone looking dangerous or threatening: keep your distance and pay attention to how that person moves. The only place were you are safe is inside Boston Village Claim since PvP doesn't work there.. You don't have to logout unless you notice they are attempting to charge you, but if you do logout make sure to kill that process which may sometimes be buggy. 

In this game, if you are good, you can practically avoid all PvP damage by just evading attacks in wander mode (a  movement mode).

I tried logging in. Cannot connect to server. Is it just me or is the server down?

You can check server status at http://salem.mentrosoft.tk/ (It refreshes automatically). That link is also linked through the main wiki page as well.

The server crashed, but now it went up.

Edit: That server status checker with nice graph and auto-refresh is yet another tool created by someone in the community. It is very much a game that has a strong community in that sense.

• MrTugglesMrTuggles Member UncommonPosts: 188

I have been playing Salem Online since Alpha.

To everyone who is speaking badly of the game, how much of a chance did you really give it? This is one of those games that gets better as you go along. Yes, it is a bit frustrating in the beginning when you know absolutely nothing. You wander around aimlessly because there really isn't a tutorial. After you get past the "I am a retarded noob who doesn't know how to look up Wiki or ask questions in the IRC channel" stage the game really starts to shine.

Yes, it takes for fricking every to get things done. Yes you do have to go through multiple steps to get an item finish. Then, once you get your character a little bit advanced/have some more knowledge about the game it takes off. You can build your own farm/town/city/etc. You can wander around as a nomad. You can be a beaver skin trader, blacksmith, tailor, lumberjack, miner, etc, etc, etc. You can litereally do, and make just about anything you want.

Give the game a good day or two before you pass judgement. Spitting out negative comments about a game that you played for all of five minutes doesn't do any good for anyone.

This is by and far one of the best MMO's I have ever played. You just have to give it the time it deserves to see it.

To the person complaining about them selling the ingame currency in the cash shop during closed beta:  This is a commercial beta. What that means is there are no more character wipes. The closed beta part is to try and keep the population down because this is still a game that needs some work. They have a lot of the grunt work done, but as with all MMO's it is a work in progress.

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Rephrase "Trainer for the homestead" sentence, because I am not quite understanding what you are refering to. About silver: certain items can be sold to NPC Store for silver, but it is far more effective to trade with players. 

Can

t get ingame to check, but the quest is the one right after leave boston where they say you can build your lean-to if you have skill x or see NPC y to give you one. The game doesn't tell me how to gain points to get skill x and doesn't say how to get cash, however you said there is an NPC store so I will try finding that and just unload branches on the shopkeep til I have the silver.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• shadow417shadow417 Member UncommonPosts: 170
    More keys ?

Can

t get ingame to check, but the quest is the one right after leave boston where they say you can build your lean-to if you have skill x or see NPC y to give you one. The game doesn't tell me how to gain points to get skill x and doesn't say how to get cash, however you said there is an NPC store so I will try finding that and just unload branches on the shopkeep til I have the silver.

This game has no quests. It has services, but no quests whatsoever. The skill he is refering to is "Survival Skills", which you ca see if you press ctrl+t to get your skill interface up. Once you learn that skill, a 2nd button at that NPC appears which you can use once to get a free leanto at a random location + get teleported to that location.

Boston NPC stores only accept a few items, which are usually hard for a new player to get. Your best bet is trading with other players for silver.

There are many ways to get the proficiencies needed for "Survival Skills", like through Rock Maracas, Grass Whistle, Smooth Stone and Chestnut. 

Getting either Ender or BDSalem client is very strongly recommended as it will show items on radar.

Walking away from Boston and being careful is a good idea. Be careful about just where Boston ends because people may be killing there.

If you still have trouble: just shout a few times in Boston about offering services in exchange for goods to learn that skill and you should shortly have some player want to deal with you.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour Rephrase "Trainer for the homestead" sentence, because I am not quite understanding what you are refering to. About silver: certain items can be sold to NPC Store for silver, but it is far more effective to trade with players. 
    Can

I'm fine with a game that is hard to play or is challenging, but this game seem kind of hard to use. Perhaps it will grow on me. At least it doesn't seem like I'll starve to death somewhere out in the wilderness like I did in Minecraft. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour Rephrase "Trainer for the homestead" sentence, because I am not quite understanding what you are refering to. About silver: certain items can be sold to NPC Store for silver, but it is far more effective to trade with players. 
    Can

I'm fine with a game that is hard to play or is challenging, but this game seem kind of hard to use. Perhaps it will grow on me. At least it doesn't seem like I'll starve to death somewhere out in the wilderness like I did in Minecraft. :-)

Yeah, unless you were very unlucky and spawned in a horrible location when you used the Wilderness guide for random spawn, there should be plenty of food avaliable for you to forage.

The world is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge. Let me link you to the world map: http://ad.lylay.com/hts/smap.html (Link was also available through the main wiki).  That map is also done by community. You can use middle mouse button to zoom-in. Boston is somewhere in the middle of the eastern shore.

Ok, I've found how to gather some other objects, but I'm currently out of phlegm which means I can't craft anything. I'm also completely lost. Part of me wants to create another character to start anew, but a bigger part of me wants to see how far I can get with this one, as my inner masochist is piqued by the challenge that sadistic game design has laid before me.

Going to drag my phlegmless self further into the unknown in search of berries or some other minor munchie that can get me back on my feet.

Ok, I've found how to gather some other objects, but I'm currently out of phlegm which means I can't craft anything. I'm also completely lost. Part of me wants to create another character to start anew, but a bigger part of me wants to see how far I can get with this one, as my inner masochist is piqued by the challenge that sadistic game design has laid before me.

Going to drag my phlegmless self further into the unknown in search of berries or some other minor munchie that can get me back on my feet.

If you are using either Ender or BDsalem client, you can see items on radar and rightclick then to pick up. Many of those items, specially plants are eatable.

• MagicDuel488MagicDuel488 Member UncommonPosts: 9

Im despratly looking for a key or invite if someone can share one to me. Signed up for the beta but got nothing, and was sleeping when these keys were posted, when i found out they were all sold.

I will even be willing to trade 5m+++ D3EU Gold for an invite or beta key.

Wisper me.

Originally posted by MrTuggles

After you get past the "I am a retarded noob who doesn't know how to look up Wiki or ask questions in the IRC channel" stage the game really starts to shine.

I'm not sure how that attitude helps anyone, eThug.

If you are using either Ender or BDsalem client, you can see items on radar and rightclick then to pick up. Many of those items, specially plants are eatable.

Downloaded Ender and set off again on my adventure. Crafted my first items, got my Gathering Skills and exploring my new options. Thanks!

• ricnetricnet Member Posts: 3
    I read some of the comments and some people got keys, played the game and said they don't like it. If any of you have an account but don't want to play please change the password and give it to me. I really wanna try out this game, good or bad.
  • MagicDuel488MagicDuel488 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Originally posted by ricnet
    I read some of the comments and some people got keys, played the game and said they don't like it. If any of you have an account but don't want to play please change the password and give it to me. I really wanna try out this game, good or bad.

Im in the same boat as you man, and the same to anyone if they can give me an account / key.

The sad problem and truth about this giveaway, was out of the keys, only 5-10% went to legit players who intended to play the game, the rest were taken by sellers and horders to sell on the black market for profit.

After a quick google search i found hundreds of not almost 1000 keys(50% of the giveaway) being sold/selling since they were released on here. I have even contact 4-6 of them and asked for prices most demand $40-60 EACH KEY.

Really depressing how the gaming world has created people like this.

The Keys from the giveaway were gone in hours of being released and us sleeping had no chance in hell of getting them. It really is unfair, and mmorpg should have more regulation with reguards to Keys limited to IP address's and not just accounts, At least make it harder for them to take.

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381
    I would feel very bad for anyone who actually "bought" a beta key.

I do however get a kick out of the people who bash players for taking a key and disliking the game saying they should have researched it more etc.

Seriously.. you can follow a game, watch vids.. read up on it and love the concept but until you actually login and play you have no idea whether or not you'll like it.

I can see 90% of the betas quiting before the tutorials over, if you push through its gets a bit better but its not going to be anything special. Will be a very SMALL niche game. Its simply poorly developed.

The clunky and unresponsive movements, lack of character customization, horrible UI, combat is worst than games from last decade...

I will give my key away when my first character dies.. I may start pking so it happens sooner rather than later.