Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion: Three New Classes Incoming

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

AionLife is reporting that the v4.0 update to Aion will include three brand new classes: A gun-wielder (ranger?), a musician (bard?) and another that will be described at a later point.

Read the full report at AionLife.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Exciting news. Aion is the #1 (IMO) F2P game with only fluff items in the cash shop.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

new classes? cool!....gus/ranger, bard? lame....

what about a shape shifting class? or a engeneer class (mabybe the ranger with guns?).....

hopefully their 3rd choice is incredibly more innovative then those 2. still new stuff is always good, especially for a B2P game.

• PanteraRosaPanteraRosa Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Man this game just keeps on given!!
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

by the way Marz.at.play i have to agree. Aion is currently the best F2P (or B2P if you will) game right now. kind of weird how the only other competitor for the B2P category will be one other NCsoft game come the end of this month.

i gues GW2 is a lot more Western minded without all the glitzy Asian cuteness.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

by the way Marz.at.play i have to agree. Aion is currently the best F2P (or B2P if you will) game right now. kind of weird how the only other competitor for the B2P category will be one other NCsoft game come the end of this month.

i gues GW2 is a lot more Western minded without all the glitzy Asian cuteness.

Look at how much Aion made vs GW for NCSoft. There is no competition.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    oO... Wanna play a bard :p
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

new classes? cool!....gus/ranger, bard? lame....

what about a shape shifting class? or a engeneer class (mabybe the ranger with guns?).....

hopefully their 3rd choice is incredibly more innovative then those 2. still new stuff is always good, especially for a B2P game.

it is a gun wielding class.

As far as the bard, that is very intriguing for me as I love the bard in Forsaken World. And also my degree is in music so being able to create spells with music seems neat.

I wish Aion had Tera's combat. Oh well, i"m trying to balance the both so we'll see.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    Hope they also add new starting zone...

RIP Orc Choppa

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by marz.at.play
    Exciting news. Aion is the #1 (IMO) F2P game with only fluff items in the cash shop.

Not even close!  Weak game with good graphics, hardly that good a game and new classes won't fix it's problems.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Not even close!  Weak game with good graphics, hardly that good a game and new classes won't fix it's problems.

I would think it more of a good game with weak graphics - I played Aion for ages and always really enjoyed it.

<3

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Pretty sure it is the #1 best Free to play game, feel free to throw out one you think is better Ozmo

AND its shop is entirely cosmetic.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Damn, that Bard might actually get me to play again.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    LOL @ people saying that the Aion cash shop is only cosmetic stuff. You guys have no idea what you're talking about. Just look at this http://store.aiononline.com/store/index?categoryPath=1_46&currentPage=1 and tell me its only cosmetic stuff. A "title" that gives you 2% additional attack speed, +8 accuracy and +3 evasion for 30 days is not what I call cosmetic.
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Hmm...I do like bard classes.  Does it still take all day to kill a simple mob like it used to?  Last time I played was like 3 months after release.  And only class that could kill mobs efficiently solo was sorcerer. 
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Originally posted by Sukiyaki

Name me a better one that wasnt made by the same publisher. I will respond with laughter at your horrible taste.

As for the new classes. Im betting on:

-musketeer/marksman

-melee monk

-well a bard

Monk seems unlikely, not that I'd mind it. They made an effort to keep the amount of classes per armor type balanced, and I'd bet bard is cloth and gunner is leather. That would leave chain and plate, and neither of those sound monk-ish. Though, they could surprise me and do something completely unexpected with the armor and class playstyle. That could be fun, too.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Gameforge will have 4.0 on their servers by 2014...

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Sukiyaki

Name me a better one that wasnt made by the same publisher. I will respond with laughter at your horrible taste.

i see what you did there..... so GW2 doesnt count? lol

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Originally posted by SirFubar
    LOL @ people saying that the Aion cash shop is only cosmetic stuff. You guys have no idea what you're talking about. Just look at this http://store.aiononline.com/store/index?categoryPath=1_46¤tPage=1 and tell me its only cosmetic stuff. A "title" that gives you 2% additional attack speed, +8 accuracy and +3 evasion for 30 days is not what I call cosmetic.

There's like at least 100 titles you can earn in-game without spending a dime that provide those stats or better.  Most of the earned in-game end game titles are better.  If you actually played the game instead of just cherry picking user posts to shoot down you'd know that.

You also can't have more than one title equipped at any given time.  It's not like they can stack the CS title with an in-game one.  So if they want to rent a title from the Cash Shop for 30 days rather than just getting it in-game more power to them.  It doesn't give them any advantage at all.

Back OT: 3 new classes is awesome news as I never foresaw the addition of new classes to the game.  Aion is great for a F2P title, restrictive in some ways, but not excessively so.  Sadly PvP will be forever broken simply based on design decisions made during the creation of the game.  This is especially sad since so much of the early marketing focused on PvP and it's hybrid PvPvE in the Abyss and through Rifting.  So it will never be more than a passing diversion for me.

Steam: Neph

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

I played Aion from beta and i still play it now but lets not kid ourselves. The cash shop is not purely cosmetic. All the socketing supplements they sell in the cash shop amount to a huge advantage that anyone who has blown millions of kinah on socketing or enchanting can attest to. Without those supplements it is rather possible (and has happened to many players) to spend months farming kinah (Aion's version of gold/currency) only to blow it all on manastone/enchanting attempts and come out with nothing or even in some cases with a downgrade of gear for all your effort. If you want to be competitive in pvp in Aion socketing and enchanting is a must. Sure you might get lucky and go without the cash shop socketing/enchantment supplements and manage to improve your gear to the same level, but its highly unlikely you will be able to do it without some costly fails along the way that will set you back large amounts of kinah unless your incredibly lucky.

The cash shop supplements are very pay 2 win and not cosmetic.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Originally posted by Nailzzz

I played Aion from beta and i still play it now but lets not kid ourselves. The cash shop is not purely cosmetic. All the socketing supplements they sell in the cash shop amount to a huge advantage that anyone who has blown millions of kinah on socketing or enchanting can attest to. Without those supplements it is rather possible (and has happened to many players) to spend months farming kinah (Aion's version of gold/currency) only to blow it all on manastone/enchanting attempts and come out with nothing or even in some cases with a downgrade of gear for all your effort. If you want to be competitive in pvp in Aion socketing and enchanting is a must. Sure you might get lucky and go without the cash shop socketing/enchantment supplements and manage to improve your gear to the same level, but its highly unlikely you will be able to do it without some costly fails along the way that will set you back large amounts of kinah unless your incredibly lucky.

A free  player can accomplish the same thing it's just going to cost them more Kinah and time like you said.  I think the whole system sucks regardless of the cash shop, but to me that's not P2W because you've still got access as a free player.  Trust me I remember the woes of socketing my clerics Fenris with full MR before you could even buy those things. 

Steam: Neph

• falicafalica Member UncommonPosts: 9
    they have A ranger class slready its called a scout till 10 then u can chose a ranger or assasian a necromancher would be nice more pet job :) i love petrs tough mesmer sounds nice to i can probly sit here and think what id want to be lol and if bard might as well throw a summner or ninja lol too many games too many possiblities for classes whatever aion choses im sure ill be happy but 4 chaterters for each race is kinda sucky pls up this to 8 or more or let us pay foir more charecter slots i have altinitis lol pls and thank u   

• Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517

If i was going to guess i would say they were going to put one class added for each arche-type in the game, as such one mage, scout, warrior, and then priest. As such i would say that the armor would go alongside the arche-type classes normal ones (though i could see a neew class for going or looking for a higher armor to differate themselves.).

For the warrior or rogue i could see a duelist/fencer style character class thatt would use a single one-handed weapon (sword, axe. hammer) for their weapon, and also which might wear lether armor as a form of showing how skilled they are distaining heavier armor as a show of confidence in their abilities. The class might use alot of debuffs as well as debuffs effects make up the disadvantage from not having the heavier armor.

For the mage maybe could be a mage-knight style character that is largely built as a close/melee range fighter, which channels their spells or power thru their weapon (might weild ole-arms, two-handed weapons like swords, axes, or hammers). Though i would think that they might look into gaining chain/mail or plate armor for such a class yet with relagating them to malee range for damage with only a small degree of ranged attacks that might have eeither long cast times or long cds it would work out somewhat balanced. Although even going so far as giving the mage arche-type a necromancer class that uses alot of dots, and which uses legions of relatively weak pets (skeletons, zombies, ghouls, and such) that can be used as a form of scarifice to power more powerful effects (maybe even ways of healing others) would be interesting as well.

FOr the priest i would say some kind of ranged holy damage styled class like a bishop or arch-priest. One reason i think this way is that priests already have a melee range/buffing class n the chanter, as well as a healing class in the cleric an so going with a ranged based class that would allow for an even distribution of their clases over all three ranges. Though it could be a more melee paladin/crusader styled melee combat class as well that would fit well.

For the rogue i could see either a duel pistol short, or rifle long range class style, although with how it stands a mid-range class that might have access to both a long range an more mid range build an both pistols an rifles would be interesting. Though i would much rather see duel pistols in a mid-range set up of attacks as long range is already pretty well the ranger's domain in the rogue. THough this could even go into the warrior which would give warriors a ranged class in their arch-type.

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Originally posted by Nephaerius
    Originally posted by Nailzzz

A free  player can accomplish the same thing it's just going to cost them more Kinah and time like you said.  I think the whole system sucks regardless of the cash shop, but to me that's not P2W because you've still got access as a free player.  Trust me I remember the woes of socketing my clerics Fenris with full MR before you could even buy those things. 

A free player COULD accomplish those things, but it isnt entirely in thier control if they will actually be able to, even with the time/expense involved. As i pointed out, you can actually spend months playing and farming kinah and spend it to upgrade yourself and get nothing for all of your effort. Meanwhile a player who buys felicitous supplements from the cash shop is guaranteed success. Thier have been many players who have given up attempting to be on the same level because the rng has punished them for not buying from the cash shop with unlucky socketing/enchanting attempts.

Im sure socketing fenris with MR was probably a pain for you. Now imagine trying to do that with 6 slot abyss gear and then +15 it, just to be competetive with the cash shop players who were able to simply purchase that power without a risk of lost months worth of kinah. Sure it is possible, but its a huge disadvantage. In a pvp game that is as gear based as Aion, you need to match the best players in gear. You can do it with luck, but not everyone will be lucky. So it winds up being either P2W or be lucky(which you have little control over). For the record ive been pretty lucky myself, but i understand the frustration of those not so lucky.

Saddly for me a cs that gives players a higher or absolute chance at staying or getting competitive with other players is not the definition of  pay to win. Pay to win to me would be one that you can buy an item that gives you an absolute advantage over others in power, such as better weapons or armor that are not attainable or which have eaul or greater counter-parts in the game, but just giving an advantage of success or increased power is much more a fact of convience with the side effect of reducing time it takes to get the same power in game. As such that this  is more of buying a convience over buying rraw power, it would rather not fall into pay to win  as it would be like saying that putting exp boost packs in the cs being p2w after raising the exp needed to level by an extreme amount.
    Originally posted by falica
    they have A ranger class slready its called a scout till 10 then u can chose a ranger or assasian a necromancher would be nice more pet job :) i love petrs tough mesmer sounds nice to i can probly sit here and think what id want to be lol and if bard might as well throw a summner or ninja lol too many games too many possiblities for classes whatever aion choses im sure ill be happy but 4 chaterters for each race is kinda sucky pls up this to 8 or more or let us pay foir more charecter slots i have altinitis lol pls and thank u   

For me the ranger class they have is more akin to a hunter or archer class, where as to me rangers are much more archer/hunter class which trades some power for the added bonus of having a pet to use. I agree though a necromancer pet-based class would be very interesting as well as fun to play.