Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does the name NCSoft help GW2? Cause my god...

Comments

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by jpnz

I've always been a 'pro-capitalism' kinda of guy (look at my post history); free-market and all that. But the basis for my stance has always been 'LEGAL'.

Today a friend and I had a discussion around GW2 which he really likes but he mentioned that he had an issue because it was by NCSoft. I was not familiar with NCSoft's business history so I looked further into it.

Look, 'make profit above all' and all that. That's cool..But my god....

Lets start with Tabula Rasa where NCSoft forged Richard's signature while he was in Space. And kill TR 10 days later. Richard sued and won (even on Appeal) 28Million dollars. http://www.statesman.com/business/technology/appeals-court-upholds-garriotts-28-million-verdict-against-1933965.html

Then sues TERA for being 'too good of a competitor'. And then admits this on their filings. What the... is this a saturday morning cartoon villian? o_O

http://tsi.brooklaw.edu/sites/tsi.brooklaw.edu/files/filings/ncsoft-corporation-et-al-v-bluehole-studio-inc-et-al/20120109ncsoft-corporation-et-al-v-bluehole-studio-inc-et-alcomplaint.pdf

I'm beginning to understand my friend's concern and why he'll probably skip GW2.

Question I have is, do you think the name NCSoft will help GW2 or is it too toxic to impact negatively on GW2?

Disclaimer: I was gifted GW2 so take that as you will.

Kind of a mixed bag tbh.

If we're talking about the name alone, then you're right, NCSoft is probably holding GW2 back a little. There is some stigma with the NCSoft name, inspite them actually having some pretty good games under their belt.

That said, as a publisher, NCSoft so far has been acting like a 'way too good to be true' publisher. They've literall given Anet carte blanche to make the game Anet wanted to make, in the time they needed to do so. That's something that doesn't happen that oftne in the MMO-sphere, especially with smaller / newer developers (and while has grown quite a bit over the years, they have still been a pretty new / small developer for a long time now).

- Also keep in mind, that NCSoft has been demonized to a certain degree, and I wouldn't say all of it is justified. In the case of TERA, while everyone rallied around the 'underdog' and viewed the whole situation as 'big studio beating up indie developer', if you look at the actual legal documents, it's extremely blatant that tera stole assets from NCSoft. The court cases even showed as much, but instead revolved around distribution practices (i.e. The employees were found guilty of theft, and forced to pay a fine; however the company they created was still allowed to encorperate the stolen material and publish). The whole topic has been done to death across multiple threads, but basically it's one case where I actually have to side with NCSoft.

They have done some pretty shady things in the past, but if that happened to me, as a company, I wouldn't play nice either.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by ariboersma
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by heartless

@!11" Now it's "NCSoft is the devil so this game will suck."

Haters gonna hate.

Dont be fooled, NCSoft is not far from the devil. The put as little into Customer server as they can. They mess with games in ways they should not over leaving them in the hands of developers who love their game. They think profit before quality. Only reason ANet is left alone as much as they are is because they make NCSoft good money. You play GW2 long enough and NCSoft will tick you off, its what they do lol. I will play GW2 but I am not looking forward to the first time I need customer service help.

have you dealt with them recently? I said before what my bad experience was but recently I have dealt with them in potentially aggrivating situations several times.. like lost NCsoft master account with my for no reason banned Aion account.. they not only restored my account, game, ect but gave me 2 weeks free gameplay(this was before it actually went F2P). My husband lost his char info, so did a friend, both got their GW1 accounts back ASAP, another friend had her GW1 on an old colledge email account she had no way of accessing, also didnt know anything about her char names and such and got everything restored in like 3 days I think. No I really see them as a different company than 4-7 yrs ago.

Yup, problems when I bought the game. I spent 3 weeks emailing back and forth with no help and 90% of their emails back to me were the same info over and over with a cut and paste responce that did not help. Then again a few a week ago with a log in problem with GW1 that took 5 days to fix. Bought GW1 and had a log in problem is a small thing but it took them 3 days before they even replied to it (outside the automated response) asking for info to prove it was my account and 2 more days after that to fix it. Wasnt hacked, just forgot a name of my char from when it was a test account many years ago. Almost a week to log into a game I bought new. So far NCSoft is bating 1000 when it comes to bad customer service IMO. I could list more over the years I have played their games but thats the newest. 

very odd.. I have never heard of a lost char name taking more than a day to fix.. usually its done in like 10-20 min. Well I think perhaps someone at NCSoft hates you =P

No, I have done many google searches on NCSoft and customer service. They have a reputaion they lived up to very well with how they helped me. I will play GW2 because I love the game but I do not look forward to having to deal with NCSoft again. 

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    snip

No, I have done many google searches on NCSoft and customer service. They have a preutaion they lived up to very well with how they helped me. I will play GW2 because I love the game but I do not look forward to having to deal with NCSoft again. 

Do you really think a google search would bring you stories of the good service? I think you were very unfortunate.. now I will admit some of the GW2 sales were screwed up but most of them have to do with weird browser issues or Gamestop. 

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991
    Originally posted by heartless

@!11" Now it's "NCSoft is the devil so this game will suck."

Haters gonna hate.

Dont be fooled, NCSoft is not far from the devil. The put as little into Customer server as they can. They mess with games in ways they should not over leaving them in the hands of developers who love their game. They think profit before quality. Only reason ANet is left alone as much as they are is because they make NCSoft good money. You play GW2 long enough and NCSoft will tick you off, its what they do lol. I will play GW2 but I am not looking forward to the first time I need customer service help.

have you dealt with them recently? I said before what my bad experience was but recently I have dealt with them in potentially aggrivating situations several times.. like lost NCsoft master account with my for no reason banned Aion account.. they not only restored my account, game, ect but gave me 2 weeks free gameplay(this was before it actually went F2P). My husband lost his char info, so did a friend, both got their GW1 accounts back ASAP, another friend had her GW1 on an old colledge email account she had no way of accessing, also didnt know anything about her char names and such and got everything restored in like 3 days I think. No I really see them as a different company than 4-7 yrs ago.

Yup, problems when I bought the game. I spent 3 weeks emailing back and forth with no help and 90% of their emails back to me were the same info over and over with a cut and paste responce that did not help. Then again a few a week ago with a log in problem with GW1 that took 5 days to fix. Bought GW1 and had a log in problem is a small thing but it took them 3 days before they even replied to it (outside the automated response) asking for info to prove it was my account and 2 more days after that to fix it. Wasnt hacked, just forgot a name of my char from when it was a test account many years ago. Almost a week to log into a game I bought new. So far NCSoft is bating 1000 when it comes to bad customer service IMO. I could list more over the years I have played their games but thats the newest. 

very odd.. I have never heard of a lost char name taking more than a day to fix.. usually its done in like 10-20 min. Well I think perhaps someone at NCSoft hates you =P

I just retreived my GW1 account information. It took an exchange of 4 emails over a period of 4 hours and the problem was solved.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• dumbo11dumbo11 Member Posts: 134
    Originally posted by RocSek
    Originally posted by otacu

Still NCsoft is only the publisher... and they had nothing to do with Guild Wars 1. Arenanet has complete freedom on his game.

Again. Wrong

©2010–2012 ArenaNet, Inc. and NC Interactive, Inc. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, ArenaNet, NCsoft, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.

That above means GW1, GW2, ANet, and NCSoft is owned by NCSoft Corp period. IF for what ever reason NCSoft wanted to pull the plug on any of the above listed they could, not that they ever would, but they could as they are NCSoft properties.

That's just legal gubbins, I wouldn't base anything on that.

AFAIK NCSoft bought Arenanet under the terms of an agreement between the 2 companies.  The terms of that agreement will define what NCSoft can/cannot do, and this is certainly not a simple matter...

These agreements can be surprisingly complex - it would not be unusual for the final value of the purchase to depend on the performance of Arenanet.  (i.e. if GW2 has is released with N years, and makes M profit by such a date then the final value is increased by $n million).  Obviously for such a clause to work, there have to be clauses to prevent NCSoft interfering with the development in order to escape paying the bonus.

It's believed that Atari/Cryptic had an agreement relating to number of MMOs released within a certain time period, and I have a strange recollection that another gaming contract related to the metacritic score of a game being developed?

But mostly, I wouldn't worry about it.  GW2 is likely to be a money spinner, so I doubt anyone is looking for a get-out clause at this point.

snip

No, I have done many google searches on NCSoft and customer service. They have a preutaion they lived up to very well with how they helped me. I will play GW2 because I love the game but I do not look forward to having to deal with NCSoft again. 

Do you really think a google search would bring you stories of the good service? I think you were very unfortunate.. now I will admit some of the GW2 sales were screwed up but most of them have to do with weird browser issues or Gamestop. 

Reguardless it fits well with what I went though and my point stands. I do not like NCSoft at all but I will play GW2 and there will be many in the same book as I am. My guess is over time NCSoft will have a chance to give me good customer service again but my bet will be, it will fair the same. I hope I am wrong.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Originally posted by dumbo11

Still NCsoft is only the publisher... and they had nothing to do with Guild Wars 1. Arenanet has complete freedom on his game.

Again. Wrong

©2010–2012 ArenaNet, Inc. and NC Interactive, Inc. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, ArenaNet, NCsoft, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.

That above means GW1, GW2, ANet, and NCSoft is owned by NCSoft Corp period. IF for what ever reason NCSoft wanted to pull the plug on any of the above listed they could, not that they ever would, but they could as they are NCSoft properties.

AFAIK NCSoft bought Arenanet under the terms of an agreement between the 2 companies.  The terms of that agreement will define what NCSoft can/cannot do, and this is certainly not a simple matter...

These agreements can be surprisingly complex - it would not be unusual for the final value of the purchase to depend on the performance of Arenanet.  (i.e. if GW2 has is released with N years, and makes M profit by such a date then the final value is increased by $n million).  Obviously for such a clause to work, there have to be clauses to prevent NCSoft interfering with the development in order to escape paying the bonus.

It's believed that Atari/Cryptic had an agreement relating to number of MMOs released within a certain time period, and I have a strange recollection that another gaming contract related to the metacritic score of a game being developed?

But mostly, I wouldn't worry about it.  GW2 is likely to be a money spinner, so I doubt anyone is looking for a get-out clause at this point.

You got it. NCSoft doesn't even have any control over what items get put in the GW2 cash shop.

Originally posted by Xzen

Again. Wrong

You got it. NCSoft doesn't even have any control over what items get put in the GW2 cash shop.

This would be naive thinking IMO.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053
    Much better off with NCSoft as a producer than EA.
  • ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Ehm as far as i know NCsoft only publish GW2, they have no control over development whatsoever over Arenanet.

With that said i dont like NCsoft as a mmo developer, i still have a bitter taste in my mouth from Aion.
    Lucky for us Arenanet stands solo and NCSoft brings to game to the man.

No, NCsoft owns ArenaNet, they are not just the publishers. However ArenaNet reports only to NCwest (the North American branch of NCsoft), not to the Koreans.

So for GW2, the people calling the shots are at NCwest (as was the case with City of Heroes).

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by DJJazzy
    Much better off with NCSoft as a producer than EA.

I agree but in all honesty that really isn't saying much. I mean if anything if that is the reasoning some use that can be read as a negative frankly if people say, "Well, least it isn't EA."

XD

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

Again. Wrong

Look i know they own Arenanet but that's it.

Ncsoft is the publisher

Arenanet is the developer

It was already proved by Guild Wars and the development of Guild Wars 2 that Arenanet has complete freedom over the game and that's all it matters.

That's how it was so far and "oh well it could change in the future" is not a fair argument.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Again. Wrong

There's no "thinking" involved. I know it as a fact. =)

Again. Wrong

That's not naive. That's talking about something you have experienced so far.

Again. Wrong

There's no "thinking" involved. I know it as a fact. =)

Source? Reason why you know it to be fact? ((((waits for the entertainment))))

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by MosesZD
    Originally posted by jpnz

I've always been a 'pro-capitalism' kinda of guy (look at my post history); free-market and all that. But the basis for my stance has always been 'LEGAL'.

Today a friend and I had a discussion around GW2 which he really likes but he mentioned that he had an issue because it was by NCSoft. I was not familiar with NCSoft's business history so I looked further into it.

Look, 'make profit above all' and all that. That's cool..But my god....

Lets start with Tabula Rasa where NCSoft forged Richard's signature while he was in Space. And kill TR 10 days later. Richard sued and won (even on Appeal) 28Million dollars. http://www.statesman.com/business/technology/appeals-court-upholds-garriotts-28-million-verdict-against-1933965.html

Then sues TERA for being 'too good of a competitor'. And then admits this on their filings. What the... is this a saturday morning cartoon villian? o_O

http://tsi.brooklaw.edu/sites/tsi.brooklaw.edu/files/filings/ncsoft-corporation-et-al-v-bluehole-studio-inc-et-al/20120109ncsoft-corporation-et-al-v-bluehole-studio-inc-et-alcomplaint.pdf

I'm beginning to understand my friend's concern and why he'll probably skip GW2.

Question I have is, do you think the name NCSoft will help GW2 or is it too toxic to impact negatively on GW2?

Disclaimer: I was gifted GW2 so take that as you will.

When you fire an employee, there's a right way and a wrong way.   Garriot deserved to be fired.  He was often AWOL on the development of Tabula Rasa, didn't follow best practices, and generally made a mess of the game while delivering a gimmicky, convoluted product that virtually nobody wanted.  (About 50K subs after the first couple of months.)

He should have been fired for that dog.   NCSoft suffered a huge loss.   But when they fired him, they did it in away that his horrible job performance wasn't the issue in front of the Court.   So they lost, even though they were right in firing him for that horrible piece-of-crap MMO.

With TERA, the development team STOLE CODE and ASSETS from Lineage III.    There's no 'shutting down the better game' thing going on here.   It's out-right theft of code and game assets.   There was no 'admiting TERA was too good of a competitor.   There was asserting that the code was stolen and Bluehole released significant portions of "Lineage III" under the name of "TERA."   Whereever your friend is reading this, I don't know, but he's certainly not reading carefully...   Or understanding the underlying issue.

For example, all the races in TERA were in Lineage III, only reskinned.    That alone is a huge smoking gun.  If you're going steal someone elses game, don't make the same exact 7 races only renaming and reskinning them...   Espeically when two of them only have one gender...    The politcal system was also stolen directly from L3.   There were other things, but those were the two most obvious.

So, bully for your friend.   But he's pretty ignorant of what happened in both cases.    Garriot deserved the axe based on what he did.  It's just NCSoft did it the wrong way.   Had they done it the right way, there'd have been no issue.    TERA, OTOH, was out-right theft and NCSoft was clearly in the right.

Part in Dark red... I have never heard this at all...

They said that Blue hole stole CODE, not actual models, they stole the base framework.

Seems like you are making things up.

• trenshodtrenshod Member UncommonPosts: 128
    From what I can tell I don't see any contribution to the game on NCSofts part. Other than there name showing on official webpages and in the images leading up to character selection/creation their part in this game is pretty much nill. In all honesty I don't see why Anet needs NCSoft at all seems to me like they could do it all on their own.
  • ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381

Most people on this website dont want to admit this inevitable truth, "In order to understand the future you have to understand the past." People here give terrible companies passes soooo much they just buy whatever the goliath sells them. My guess is GW2 will be an OK game. But since I want to play a good game or better Im sticking to WoW until something really revolutionary comes alonig, i.e. Planetside2 or The War Z only 2 that have my attention at the moment.

Guild Wars 2 is an easy version of what we've been playing for years already. Big whoop.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Again. Wrong

Look i know they own Arenanet but that's it.

Ncsoft is the publisher

Arenanet is the developer

It was already proved by Guild Wars and the development of Guild Wars 2 that Arenanet has complete freedom over the game and that's all it matters.

That's how it was so far and "oh well it could change in the future" is not a fair argument.

Where was this stated?  I'd love to read it.

A LOT of open speculation and baseless assumptions occuring in this thread.

Lets have some facts with sources please.

Originally posted by Halandir

While I feel for you: Yes I REALLY do... You seem to belong to that strange minority with bad IT-karma: Nothing works like it does for every other user, Helpdesk is a 10 min wait for everyone else but you hit a 7-day queue.

You sound like you had more problems in 5 days of GW than I had in 7 years. This is probably not politically correct but seriouly: I do not give a  shit: You sir, are incapable of accepting your own lack of ability! You expect the world to revolve around you and solve the problems you encountered becouse you created them.

Games should be sold with at least options: I need 10 min support/year max. And: I am an ass but need to blame some CS at least 10 times a year. Simply unfair that the rest of us has to pay for virtual idiots endless support needs!

You miss my point. In reply to the OP I know and hate NCSofts customer service but I will play GW2 any ways because its a good game. I am sure there are many like me who also hate NCSoft but will play GW2 any ways. You drip with hate in your post and I feel sad you miss the point thats so easy to see.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

everyone can only go by their own experiences

ive had horrible experiences with Blizzard customer service but most people would disagree w me

ive had *great* experiences w SOE -- even more people would disagree w me  heh

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Where was this stated?  I'd love to read it.

A LOT of open speculation and baseless assumptions occuring in this thread.

Lets have some facts with sources please.

Sources:

the GW1 game

the GW1 cash shop

the GW2 game

the GW2 cash shop

you won't find better sources than the actual games!

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    Originally posted by Nadia

ive had horrible experiences with Blizzard customer service but most people would disagree w me

actually Blizzard is well known for its poor CS, I have actually been harassed by the GMs with a ticket where I finally got to a manager and she thanked me for sticking to my guns because all the previous GMs were wrong. They daily go against their own rules and change the rules to make their own job easier and the players lives misserable

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Nadia

actually Blizzard is well known for its poor CS, I have actually been harassed by the GMs with a ticket where I finally got to a manager and she thanked me for sticking to my guns because all the previous GMs were wrong. They daily go against their own rules and change the rules to make their own job easier and the players lives misserable

/shrug

Eh, I always got quick and insightful help from them when I needed it. I have to agree with Nadia on this one. Obviously, due to the popularity of the game there are going to be more that had negative ones too. Some of them were fairly interactive even outside just cs issues and would hang out in game mucking around.

Granted I have not played WoW in a long time so of course things may have taken a turn for the worse since I played the game.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-