Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] DUST 514: CCP Wants to Change the Universe

12346»

Comments

• sdeleon515sdeleon515 Member UncommonPosts: 151

I think most users are forgetting that there are restrictions when using the Xbox live network placed on how updates, releases and expansions are approached. Additionally there are fees to be paid to simply have a game hosted on Xbox whereas this is an exactly different issue as well.

I also don't think that Dust514 is something that should be treated as a "FPS game so move on" as it seems to have a bit of the mmo variant element to it. Can't say for certain but the idea of fighting on contested planets that impact the Eve universe and vice-versa does make it at least news worthy in an mmo sections. 

As a few posters already noted, the idiotic hate people hold for a game and calling it a potential failure is really, really sad given it's free and that the PS3 is allowing them to do so without the paying a certification fee nor additional stringent requirements like Xbox and to be supported ona console that is also the more heavily dominant area in attracting FPS players.

If you're going to whine, moan and complain about something that *IS FREE* then there really is no pleasing you =/

• CraynonCraynon Member Posts: 1
    CCP chose Sony and PS3 because they were more cooperative: they wanted cross-platform multiplayer, hosted on CCPs own servers but Microsoft refused so Sony were chosen instead.
  • VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

How long has Eve been going now? Since 2003, nearly 10 years.

What is the average life span of a PS3 game? One year.

How long has Counter Strike on the PC been going? Before Eve. And people still play it. As they do with the orignal BattleField.

How many people that play FPSes seriously use a PS3 Controller to play?

With a little joined up thinking it is clear to even the most naive of gamers that Dust will not be around for long in its currnet console form.

I find it a crying shame that Dust was not developed for the PC, it would have been a monumental time in the history of PC gaming.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by AtrusV

Just tell me why can't I get rid off microbes.... I mean, DUST players, with my battleship, dreadnought, or Titan, performing an orbital bombardment until there is no one left?

In the near future

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    I think I'm going to copyright the phrase "Bit the Dust 514" before it releses, if I could get $1 for everytime that phrse will be used on this site alone I could retire to the Cayman islands!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

Ok, have a few things to answer considering the posts above me. I play both EVE and Dust514.

Some of the comments above are  incorrect. First, XBOX 360ies are not as popular as the PS3. Just in the past 3 months Sony has sold 77 million PS3's to Microsofts 74 million. Second, there are alot of Dust players.  They also do not care if you want it on the PC or not. They prefer it exclusive PS3. They also enjoy the game alot!

If it were on the PC then Dust would be horrible. Within the first week you would see bots, hacks and exploits. Why CCP went to Microsoft and Sony to begin with. Why PC FPS is something that needs to be worked on! Dust stands alone compared to its PC counterparts.

Imagine hacks and or exploits if it were on the PC. I know the losing end EVE corps would not be very happy!

As to what Dust is. By full release Dust can be called a MMOFPS. As by design it is both a MMORPG(Sandbox,PVE, Hi sec,Low sec, nul sec) and a FPS.

As to the negative hype. I remember a very long time ago when I saw the same negativity about EVE. How did that work out? One thing about CCP, they will make it work out. Just as they have done with EVE through the years. Dust will be around a long long time!

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    shouldn't this be at FPSGuru?
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    It's extremely amusing to contrast the "Dust will fail because CCP had the insolence to develop a game for a machine I don't own and I'm incredibly butthurt about it" posts with the fact that Dust already has over 1 million accounts created.

Give me liberty or give me lasers