Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] DUST 514: CCP Wants to Change the Universe

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,742

" Like a clumsy yet attractive paramour, DUST 514 is both frustrating and exciting."

Yeah, I only seem to go out with accident prone catwalk models myself. :)

This one is definalty for the console crowd then. No PC's in fact no console other than PS3? Shame.

• Heinz130Heinz130 Member Posts: 227

How can the 2 games be marriage? i dint got it

Plus.what EVE shuld do is to implement ground content,better if it can be sandbox...than i left all other games and return to EVE...ill even skip archeage

WoW 4ys,EVE 4ys,EU 4ys
    FH1942 best tanker for 4years
    Playing WWII OL for some years untill now
    many other for some months

• swarmdieswarmdie Member UncommonPosts: 67
    We should have a poll "For or against having Dust514 on mmorpg.com".
  • TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by hfztt
    Originally posted by Sleepyfish

Yeh well they can continue production of WOD or kiss my you know what.

Who in hell puts all their money in a shooter mmo no one will mess with instead of a vampire mmo everyone would have played, which is now abandonware?

Noone has ever done a f2p shooter on a console. CCP have made a fair gamble that with the rise of f2p there WAS a hole in the market.

In this age of spakly vampires I think CCP is wise to lay a bit low with WoD. While there might be huge demand for a vampire mmo, CCP most likely wont be making the vampire mmo the market is asking for. So putting WoD on fast track would probably be an equally questionable decission.

In any case, 514 isn't gettin any love here so from where I'm standing they'd have been better off making a twilight mmo than this.

Not saying that WoD is, just... Anything else would have been a better gamble.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Trionicus

In any case, 514 isn't gettin any love here so from where I'm standing they'd have been better off making a twilight mmo than this.

NDA is preventing me from being more specific about my love for the game...

And for the whole DUST 514 is not an MMO, it is so tightly connected to EVE that if you vote out the one you vote out the other as well.

Actually I would go as long as to say that if DUST is not an MMO, then ANY instance based game is not an MMO. Auch.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Awesome, they knocked off planetside 2 and made it a limited console game and called it EVE. I wonder if its lobby based, that would really make it cool.
  • YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

For those who still don't get it, why Dust514 will be PS3-exclusive...

First of all Microsoft didn't want Dust514 on the Xbox. More specifically they didn't allow cross-platform communications with the EvE server. That's why Sony got the deal sealed.

Second. CCP chose the console, because it is a closed environment, less prone to cheating and giving all players the same experience due to the unified hardware.
    If people still want to cheat, they'll eventually get catched and their account banned based on the hardware-ID. So if you cheat and get caught, prepare to buy a new PS3, if you wan't to continue playing.

Additionally, the PS3 offers USB-keyboard and mouse-support, if the developers choose to use it like in UT3 for example. You can just use your standard USB-periphals and play Dust514 with it instead of using a keypad, as Dust514 will use the UT3-engine with it's native USB-support.

Stop complaining that CCP actually wants to level the playingfield for a shooter by choosing the console, rather be happy that Dust514 will be F2P on a console that costs only $200 these days and can be used as a BluRay-player and HTPC in your living room.

• xsidurax22xsidurax22 Member Posts: 21

A few points that PC-only users seem to keep missing:

1.  PSN is free - no subscription.

2.  Many, many PS3 owners will download this game and give it a go since it is free.  They might even get interested in EVE because of it.  DC Universe has been far more successful on PS3 since it went Free to Play than it ever was as a subscription-based game.

3.  There have been several cross-platform games between Xbox <--> PC (Such as Shadowrun, FF XI online, and many others.).  They just aren't practical for developers because of strict Xbox Live certification policies on updates.

4.  The PS3 platform is much more open than the Xbox due to less stringent controls in the certification process.

5.  You CAN use a keyboard and mouse on the PS3 IF the developers support KB and mouse in the game.

6.  The PS3 still holds its own in the graphics department compared to the vast majority of PC's out there.

7.  A PS3 is cheaper than a PC with a comparable video card.

8.  MANY people actually prefer playing shooters on consoles with a controller.  Look at the success of COD or Halo as examples.

• alexminoalexmino Member Posts: 132

Even though i haven't been subscribed to Eve for three months, i got a beta invite and tried it.

It's a FPS team based multiplayer game, it looks good, plays fine, i'm sure FPS players will enjoy it.  It didn't do anything for me personaly because it didn't do a lot that excited me, but it's a perfectly acceptable game.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by xsidurax22

A few points that PC-only users seem to keep missing:

1.  PSN is free - no subscription.

2.  Many, many PS3 owners will download this game and give it a go since it is free.  They might even get interested in EVE because of it.  DC Universe has been far more successful on PS3 since it went Free to Play than it ever was as a subscription-based game.

3.  There have been several cross-platform games between Xbox <--> PC (Such as Shadowrun, FF XI online, and many others.).  They just aren't practical for developers because of strict Xbox Live certification policies on updates.

4.  The PS3 platform is much more open than the Xbox due to less stringent controls in the certification process.

5.  You CAN use a keyboard and mouse on the PS3 IF the developers support KB and mouse in the game.

6.  The PS3 still holds its own in the graphics department compared to the vast majority of PC's out there.

7.  A PS3 is cheaper than a PC with a comparable video card.

8.  MANY people actually prefer playing shooters on consoles with a controller.  Look at the success of COD or Halo as examples.

Solid points.

Hopefully for Sony everyone has forgotten about that little security breach.

• Default101Default101 Member UncommonPosts: 55

Gonna have to be one hell of a game to pull this off. Lots of respect for CCP, but glad it's not my money on the line.

Will console fps players go for an online game thats major selling points include a complex player-driven endgame and being linked to a niche MMORPG? Even the title "Dust 514" feels...Dusty. Succesful companies rarely go for a gamble like this. CCP has done well by not underestimating the consumer though.

• KravisKravis Member UncommonPosts: 186

I have not been in game in a couple of months but I can tell you this, I wouldn't pay a dime for someone to defend my planets.  Prices on the PI stuff stunk when I left and there was absolutely NOTHING new on the horizon that used planetary resources to build.  

So I say take it, heck, maybe EVE players should pay Dust players to actually take their planets and save them from that boring click-fest.

As for the PS3 exclusive, we tried really hard to convince CCP this was a mistake.  Perhaps there were financial motivations but everything they said back then was they wanted to reach a whole new demographic.  I just don't have CCP's faith this is going to work but wish them plenty of luck.

• ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252
    If your not one of the top 5 posters, give it up know one reads this far down

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Kravis

I have not been in game in a couple of months but I can tell you this, I wouldn't pay a dime for someone to defend my planets.  Prices on the PI stuff stunk when I left and there was absolutely NOTHING new on the horizon that used planetary resources to build. 

You are doing it wrong. Just saying. PI can be very lucrative indeed.

That said the reason to pay will more likely be one of system sov than PI.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,742

Actually if you have not had time to follow a thread and missed a few pages, many posters just read the last post or two and reply to that, not that I would ever be so lazy!

• kosackosac Member UncommonPosts: 206
    waiting for pc..
  • AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

Gotta admit.. For all the "hate" in here, there is sure a lot of feelings for this game.. regardless of positive or negative.  Look at all the replies!

Craaazy, man.. Crazy.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
         Bleh consoles....
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=144596

Rumours/speculation/news of a Dust 514 PC beta being prepared for 2013 in China. I can't read Chinese so I can't vouch, but thought you all might be interested.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by Acidon

Gotta admit.. For all the "hate" in here, there is sure a lot of feelings for this game.. regardless of positive or negative.  Look at all the replies!

Craaazy, man.. Crazy.

I do not hate it because I think it will suck, it will probably be ok. I am pissed because one an online shooter is not exactly an proven formula for success. I hate it because it is a project I believe  will do meh at best and it is killing WOD which actually has a rabid fan following who has wanted an mmo for well.. since mmorpgs started coming out. We were going to make this awsome game everyone wanted, but nvm instead we are making this game no one cares about.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    PS3 only, no thanks.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314

It has constantly been said that Microsoft's handling of their network, their rules, etc is what probably made CCP go with Sony.

Blame MS' rules/structure/whatever, not CCP. If MS had a more attractive offering for what CCP needs to do, then they would have gone with MS.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• Letifer007Letifer007 Member Posts: 1
    Final Fantasy XI Online was/is crossed with PC and PlayStation 2 users at the same time.  The idea of cross platform gaming is awesome, but like you said, it almost never happens.  I would have liked Dust 514 to be on the PC as well.  I've played EVE online, it's one of those games that makes you dream about how big it COULD be.  But it's been called a nitche game, and dreams stay just that...
  • ogreslayerogreslayer Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Originally posted by afropuff420

"My only problem with the game? PS3-only. We can't have our cake and eat it too, can we?"

Kills it for me again and again. I was so hyped when I heard the original concept. I think this is the biggest mistake ever. Oh well - on to other things.

This is going to be the game's overarching issue. The PS3 has the smaller install base for starters and while I don't think they are going to replace it before Holiday 2014 that really isn't that far away. Just see a soon to be pretty integrated function for their universe dying off fairly quickly unless they get a PC variant out.... Plus by going Console you get the whole console players get raped by PC ones issue due to the input differences.

• AtrusVAtrusV Member UncommonPosts: 305

Just tell me why can't I get rid off microbes.... I mean, DUST players, with my battleship, dreadnought, or Titan, performing an orbital bombardment until there is no one left?

And how do they reach the planets if I block the system?