Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] DUST 514: CCP Wants to Change the Universe

Comments

• LoboMauLoboMau Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Not For PC...Big Mistake...Huge Mistake! Good Luck" for PS3 only", you will need it. Planetside 2 here I go! :)
  • ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283
    I for one think this is a cool idea. I hope it works out for them.
  • lindenmeyerlindenmeyer Member UncommonPosts: 55
    agreed ....... Dust for PC or fail
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Yeah, good luck with that. Awful marketing campaign only surpassed by their bizarre choice of going solely with PS3. This game is going to fail pretty hard which is a shame. Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Great idea and always thought it was cool how CCP pulled off Eve. However, this is going to be quite the blunder for them.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174

isn't it going to be some form of Free2pay?

Arm chair developers in this thread make me lol. What pisses me off the most is no doubt EvE players monies are funding a console game and not their own.

• Reboot78Reboot78 Member Posts: 2
    CCP didn't want to go PS3 exclusive, but Microsoft refused to accept certains terms that are required for CCP do deliver the game to XBox Live, so they had no other choice to drop the plans to release the game for XBox. As far as i know Microsoft does not allow the game publisher to release patches themself, everything has to be patched by Microsoft through XBox Live. For a game with cross plattform gameplay, that has to be patched on all plattforms at the same time, this is not acceptable.

• MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928

Yeah--Xbox is hellacious for developers to make games on; that's why a lot have shifted to PC and PS3. I remember allowing xbox users onto FFXI really held the game back because SE had to go through all of Microsofts strict rules and regs. It's not worth the hastle, the game would be more of a blunder if it were also on XBOX. And since they want to tie in the console market it looks like PS3 is their only option at the moment (Wii and WiiU do not count).

• BlackraynBlackrayn Member Posts: 142
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Yeah, good luck with that. Awful marketing campaign only surpassed by their bizarre choice of going solely with PS3. This game is going to fail pretty hard which is a shame. Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Great idea and always thought it was cool how CCP pulled off Eve. However, this is going to be quite the blunder for them.

I disagree! There are millions more FPS players out there then there are players playing EVE! Many of you have said this is failed concept! I honestly think it's brilliant! And basically cause of what I just said, millions more playing FPS, then there are playing EVE! It don't matter one bit to the EVE players! There still going to play EVE regardless!  The only thing that is needed here is for CCP to make a damn good FPS game and it will sell! Tying the EVE players to the FPS players will be the difficulty, but like I said make a good FPS and it's golden.

Many do play FPS on computer, but look at consoles. FPS is the main market! Where as MMO type games rule the majority of PC playerbase! If they can actually get these two platforms to blend and work together it's a milestone! Could open up many more oppurtunities in the future! Many of us here don't really care about the console games anyway. CCP is simply jumping into a market that makes money! FPS console! If they can get millions playing DUST and can make this blend with the players of EVE, kudos to them!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by mCalvert

Why do you keep annoying us with this console news?

Agreed, it is no MMO either.

Should be posted on FPSGuru but here.

Except that it is a console game that is intersecting with an mmo. It's very probably that there are mmo players out there who might be intrigued by this. If anything, it's of interest because you are gettign two different styles of games that interact, that affect each other and that the tech behind it might be something that you find in more games in the future.

That's why.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

I still can't believe that CCP got into bed with Sony.

When you lie down with dogs you are liable to get fleas.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Its a big experimental efford that has put a huge investment into it and better works out.
    I neither play EvE nor will i play Dust but i hope for WoD and it would be sad if a Dustbomb would destroy any chances to get WoD ready.

One thing about CCP is that everything looks and feels so damn cold, pretty technocratic, Dust looks the same way.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Originally posted by Mothanos
    The good thing about Dust is......we get planetside 2 :P

Dust will pwn planetside2 so hard !

It will be so great playing it on our PS3 with PS-Move control.

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375
    I'm just glad it has mouse/keyboard support, as i find playing with a controller is just nasty for an FPS game.
  • DKKOberonDKKOberon Member Posts: 75

As long as it is PS3 only, DUST is doomed. It will fail, it will epic fail and CCP may not survive the hate.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Originally posted by Vegetto

It surely must be a Sony cash incentive as to why they decided to produce a game that complimented EvE on a PS3, especially as Xbox is more popular and presumably there would be a little bit more of a cross-over there.

I can't see any reason for it other than to get a foothold in the console market. But even then, do they have any idea about that market? Do they honestly think this is what console gamers will go for?

But let's face it, they are hoping that long-term EvE vets will get the game to multibox EvE and DUST, some perhaps even buying a PS3 for it. Co-operative play of any kind will never work between PC and console players, they literally hate each other lol.

Members of a console clan I am affiliated with (except for me these guys have no PC experience and substandard gaming rigs) already found their way into Eve Online, met with a variety of corps, and formed allegiences with those they are planning to work with in Dust.  It was simple and happened quickly.  The same group of folks also started playing Eve Online and getting more into PC gaming as a result.  It's a win for everybody.

Steam: Neph

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Blackrayn
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

I disagree! There are millions more FPS players out there then there are players playing EVE! Many of you have said this is failed concept! I honestly think it's brilliant! And basically cause of what I just said, millions more playing FPS, then there are playing EVE! It don't matter one bit to the EVE players! There still going to play EVE regardless!  The only thing that is needed here is for CCP to make a damn good FPS game and it will sell! Tying the EVE players to the FPS players will be the difficulty, but like I said make a good FPS and it's golden.

Many do play FPS on computer, but look at consoles. FPS is the main market! Where as MMO type games rule the majority of PC playerbase! If they can actually get these two platforms to blend and work together it's a milestone! Could open up many more oppurtunities in the future! Many of us here don't really care about the console games anyway. CCP is simply jumping into a market that makes money! FPS console! If they can get millions playing DUST and can make this blend with the players of EVE, kudos to them!

No way dude. The amount of competition they are going to be up against is staggering in the fps department.  Even if it was on the pc this game would struggle. As it is? Not going to bode well at all in my opinion.

We'll find out soon enough though.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    This site is a bastion of pc rpg mmo gaming what is this ps3 fps doing here, its not even cross platform? Put it on a console review site please.

• Muerte_XMuerte_X Member Posts: 104
    Originally posted by Wicoa
    This site is a bastion of pc rpg mmo gaming what is this ps3 fps doing here, its not even cross platform? Put it on a console review site please.

Actually this is an MMO site, which should cover all things MMO. Since Dust is part of the Eve MMO universe, I beleive it is an applicable topic, and I appreciate that the site covers it.

Often lurking, rarely posting

• swarmdieswarmdie Member UncommonPosts: 67

I appreciate the effort of getting news about Dust 514 but... plz not here unless its to tell us its gonna be available on pc.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Ok well CCP was in my books as maybe the lowest denominator of developers but there is always hope to move forward.

So looking into DUST they have licensed the Unreal3 engine,That  alone speaks volumes above Eve.However tying the game into Eve's horrible structure and RMT base is just going to bring DUST down 10 fold.

Here is the presentation video i watched. DUST keynote the guy they had present it couldn't be anymore boring,so you can skip past him to the scripted video then actual game play.

The thing to NOTE in the video is the awful graphical presentation that really makes me quit games.You will notice how the entire map/content is all the same blueish hue,There is no separated color,EVERYTHING is delivered low quality.The oputdoor map is not bad ,but again mostly the same couple repeated textures.

Merc quarters,same thing again ,no real lighting just one blueish/black hue on everything.

Maybe the worst thing of all is the game will use the same lame spreadsheet stat design as Eve..The Passive will be like Eve ,the active will be points spent but still operate like Eve.

He trires to mention that the new monitary idea will have no pay to win,yet the game still uses the worst RMT monetary system ever in gaming history >>>ISK.

I do not see any mention of dodging.I notice the guy went into a menu mode a few times,that won't do well in a fast paced fps atmosphere.

The actual game play doesn't look too bad,the guy in the video doesn't even know the game ,which is sad.He mentions, you can switch into 3rd person "I am told". /sigh.

Of course there might be variable maps,but this one was VERY linear,you follow a linear path which is not good for MMO style action.They are showing the PVE portion,which seems very boring.I think stick to the pvp game play for fun.

My closing statement is that watching this game,something struck me as being similar.This game delivery looks a LOT like that game that went defunct >>Tabala Rasa.Some might even argue Tabula Rasa looks better,more exciting.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SandaStunnaSandaStunna Member Posts: 101
    dust overall is a terrible fps game. even if they made it for pc.
  • DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362
    Personally I don't have anything against Dust but everytime I see it, it reminds me of how much resources and manpower were stripped from WoD, and for what? Hopefully that bag of money Sony gave them was worth it in the end.
  • Reboot78Reboot78 Member Posts: 2

I really don't understand why everyone says this is not an MMO just because it is a FPS. Many MMOs have instanced PvP arenas. The MMO aspect that it has a persistent world, with resource gathering, crafting, trading and control over the map seems to be ignored, just because it doesn't have a world map in that you can run around between arenas, it is a f*cking game in space, what do you expect?

Also people seem to ignore that CCP doesn't try to make EvE players play Dust, they try to make FPS players play Dust by adding more complex elements, persistent characters, persistent world, character development, free expansions instead of other games that release a new version every year (that you have to buy) and only have some achievements and leaderboards. In Dust battles you win or lose really matter, they are not just a score that is recorded somewhere and then forgotten.

• RydranRydran Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Lame. Ps3 Exclusive. Why would they link a Ps3 exclusive to a PC game. Makes no sence,