Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long until GW2 brings the hate(rs)?

Comments

• CultOfXtcCultOfXtc Member Posts: 378
    Originally posted by dageeza

Sounds like the OP is talking more about rabid fanbois turned haters after the game releases and for one reason or another fails to meet some players expectations.

I would like to think that for a one time $60 box cost that even those that find for some reason that they dont like GW2 at some point will state why and move on, not everyone is going to love the game like i do but i believe very few will find genuine exception with the games overall fun factor and remarkable value if they give it a fair shot..

The same for TSW i really dont see many genuinely hating on the game or saying its not a good game or that its not worth the price of the box including the first month free but to some it gets tedious and or lacks overall content and is simply not worth them subbing to it for various reasons..

Times are changing and their is plenty of different choices available now for different gamestyles and even budgets and finally there is the promise of some awesome looking sandboxes coming in the near future to appease even the loudest, most fickle and morbid minority of players which are also generally the loudest haters of most other games..

GW2 may be potentially the first genuinely phenomenonal game since WoW and like WoW it may eventually have its fair share of haters rather it deserves it or not..

Gamer rage usually begins 2-3 months into a subbed game but for a AAA B2P that delivers everything its devs promised i mostly see power gamers, sandboxers and raiders that havent had enough of carrot chase yet as the majority of haters and there is no way of knowing exactly how they will feel about GW2 just yet..

Since anet listens to thier fans to a certain and fair degree i suspect we will hear the raider bunch unsuccessfully bitch for raid dungeons and elitest progressions and sandboxers whine unsuccessfully for for open world PvP hence becoming the games biggest haters.

Exactly.  SW:TOR, was a let down.  TSW great but niche (there IS a place for it though).  GW2 will kick arse.

2012 - finally some good mmo's out! :)

THE SECRET WORLD - PAY ONCE PLAY FOREVER - Give it a go!

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

OR PM ME FOR A BUDDY KEY (need your email address).

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by Vapors
    Originally posted by Kyus_HoB
    Originally posted by Vapors
    It's not only you who's thinking like that, if you check the current forum threads it's like everyone having pink glasses on. Gw2 is everything its sandbox best combat its awesome no raids its themepark its everything lol. Im pretty sure this can't hold pretty long, lets see how fast people realise that.

The issue with this response is that there is a lot of reasons to look at the positives on GW2 taking theme parks solely as an example it is the only game for a very long time to come into the genre wtih an overall improvement across the boards in its content. Its highly polished, coded brilliantly and is different in a lot of areas. Whilst some will point out these differences can be seen insome ways in games like Rift, DaoC, War, DCUO, GW1 and other titles its the fact it has brought all of these bits together with polish and with cherries on top to boot. 

It has numerous weaker elements but the overall delivery is what is exciting. 

My final point is the one glossed over most, what makes this different to so many theme parks over the last 5-8 yearsish, is the non linear progression and equal rewards for all.

thats why I will try it, otherwise it offers IN MY MIND nothing new and not seen before

how would it not have been seen before

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

I'm a little confused by this thread.  There's already been many threads after every beta weekend with people saying things like 'I got a refund!'

I mean, technically, the haters have been brought before the game was even playable at Gamescom, back when one of the most common comments was 'It'll be another instanced game like GW1, not a real MMORPG'.

You can't HAVE fanbois without haters.  I don't think it works that way.

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

The haters have been here for long, but the amount of fluffy pink fan boys have increased alot lately. To a degree where old GW1 fans is not the most vocal anymore. And haters often get 10 pages of feedback, where there is quite long between the actual facts.

But my quess is that some of thesse fanboys will turn into haters , simply because they are 1) missinformated about the game and 2) actual not done with standard MMO's.

So hopefully we will be back again to a vocal and informed fangroup, dealing with the the occational trolls before long.  

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651
    Well that hate was present toward wow and swtor from gw comunity, what you except now love and peace, lol.
  • otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547
    Originally posted by bluefunk

I bought and so far (beta's, stress test's withstanding) am busting to play GW2, it looks great.  I also play and love TSW, both great games for different reasons.  I'm pretty sure between them I am going to sorted for a good few months/years - grea games, great stuff.

I was wonder what others opinions were on the masive hype over GW2.  It is definately an awesome game but I am worried that the hate will seap (sp?) in after about 3-4 weeks. If something is fanboy'd this much we are settin git up for a fall.  I live in the UK and oou media do it all the time.

Just wondered if others think like I do?  People will play their bottoms off until they reach 80, say there's no endgame or raids (Zzzzz) and post mega crap on forums. 

GW2 is great and TSW is great, both will continue to be so.

There is plenty already.

• mustang2750mustang2750 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    I dont know about anyone else but after playing in all of the beta weekends and most stress tests GW2 is the only game since DAOC that actually makes PvP fun and require skill and teamwork at least in WvWvW. Im am not big on arena style PvP like WoW with sPvP but the choice to do one over the other is another reason that makes this game great. For me GW 2 lives up to the hype and is the only MMO that even comes close to DAOC in terms of fun.
  • RoybeRoybe Member UncommonPosts: 420
    Honestly, I'm not planning on being around the forums after release.  generally, I have very little time to do what I want, since I'll be playing GW2, I won't have to worry about what haters are going to be saying.  Haters gonna hate, I'm gonna play and have fun.
  • dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

I bought and so far (beta's, stress test's withstanding) am busting to play GW2, it looks great.  I also play and love TSW, both great games for different reasons.  I'm pretty sure between them I am going to sorted for a good few months/years - grea games, great stuff.

I was wonder what others opinions were on the masive hype over GW2.  It is definately an awesome game but I am worried that the hate will seap (sp?) in after about 3-4 weeks. If something is fanboy'd this much we are settin git up for a fall.  I live in the UK and oou media do it all the time.

Just wondered if others think like I do?  People will play their bottoms off until they reach 80, say there's no endgame or raids (Zzzzz) and post mega crap on forums. 

They are already doing this and the game is not even released. Imagine how chaotic it will get one month from now.

Luckilly i will aboard the escape boat and will not be here by then lol.

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by Roybe
    Honestly, I'm not planning on being around the forums after release.  generally, I have very little time to do what I want, since I'll be playing GW2, I won't have to worry about what haters are going to be saying.  Haters gonna hate, I'm gonna play and have fun.

August 30th:

"See guys I told you this game was going to flop... guys? hello anyone here?"  *cricket chirping"

"Oh you're still here? Sorry too busy playing GW2 to care about your opinions anymore. Cya"

Originally posted by palulalula
    Well that hate was present toward wow and swtor from gw comunity, what you except now love and peace, lol.

Love and Peace, why not? Like i said before, picking sides is bad thing and indicator of closed mind.

Im telling this because im on none's side here. I loved WoW and old KOTORs (well not quite the "newest sequel")

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by dzoni87

They are already doing this and the game is not even released. Imagine how chaotic it will get one month from now.

Only fanbois use the word haters to describe other players.

Sorry, but you cannot fault people for playing the game the way it is designed.  Themeparks are a linear progression toward the end game, so that's what you get.  If the game designers made them to have a more horizontal game play style, where leveling wasn't so important, then you would see people spend less time grinding, and more time having experiences.

I'm looking forward to GW2 as much as anyone.  Probably even more than 99% of the *new* fan base since I played GW1 and love it. However it's not hard for an experienced MMO player to see that this is still just a thememark and that while they did move the genre forward with some repackaging of old mechanics and some new ideas, it's not going to blow people away with originality after you settle in and play for 30+ days.

The depth just isn't there, and it's still a vertical climb toward nothing.  Time will be spent like all previous themeparks.  You will level up, you will do collections and maybe some crafting.  You may like PvP more in this game than other games.  In the end, you will be grinding for gear, or re-rolling to expand your experience.

It's a good thing, for me, that I will have both TSW and GW2, because they both have strengths and weaknesses.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Originally posted by MindTrigger

... and only haters use the word fanbois to describe other players.

Luckily everybody is either a hater or a fanboi, so no problem with people feeling ill defined. :)

Originally posted by Meowhead

... and only haters use the word fanbois to describe other players.

Luckily everybody is either a hater or a fanboi, so no problem with people feeling ill defined. :)

Unfortunately for your theory, I am neither a fanboi or a hater.  I'm looking forward to the game ( I bought it as soon as pre-purchase dropped), but I also know the game isn't the second coming of Jebus just like I knew SWTOR wasn't when 10,000 people on this site declared their love for it and said they'd be playing for years.

Also, I was just being sarcastic with that statement. ;)

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991
    Originally posted by eggy08

August 30th:

"See guys I told you this game was going to flop... guys? hello anyone here?"  *cricket chirping"

"Oh you're still here? Sorry too busy playing GW2 to care about your opinions anymore. Cya"

I think this is exactly what is going to happen.

Within days of release, there will, of course, be some disappointed players who didn't play a BWE or watch videos who will realize, upon playing, that this game isn't what they were looking for.

There will be players who reach end game, and even though we have no idea what it will look like or how it will play out, will say "oh it's not like traditional raiding" and so they'll leave.

And then there will be the thread after thread after thread of manufactured hate. And anyone who has followed the GW2 forums will know exactly who will be posting on these threads. And we already know the list of recycled complaints that will be posted.

This will, of course, be going on while the vast majority of people will be playing the game and not see a lot of reasons to actually be hanging out on the forums.

If you saw what happened every single BWE, it will just be a repeat of that all over again.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

I win!  When two people are being sarcastic, the person who has to explain it first is the loser. :)

(Yes.  I just made up the rules for how this works.  That's how you get to be a winner in life.  By making up the rules.)

(I suspect I totally derailed things at this point in time, which unfortunately, also means I lose. :(  )

Uh, to be on topic... I'm pretty sure there are people who thought SWTOR would be awesome for them, and they turned out to be right and they're still enjoying it!  It's perfectly possible to think GW2 is your personal most awesome game, and be totally right on that.  I'm sure there will be some people who it will be their best game ever.

Originally posted by Meowhead

I win!  When two people are being sarcastic, the person who has to explain it first is the loser. :)

(Yes.  I just made up the rules for how this works.  That's how you get to be a winner in life.  By making up the rules.)

Damn....  ok you win.  ;)

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Good grief do we even need this thread, there already been tons of hate on GW2.  I for one have been staying away from it for now. I want to see what happens after launch and get a good idea of the fun of the game from folks who are really playing the game.  I for one am not a fan of ncsoft have not been since the tabula rasa problem, however at some point you got to look at what they done to recoup themselves if at all even possible.

There sure is lots of hate for this game, and other games I honestly believe that for some folks it is a job to get on the forums here at mmorpg and dispense hate without having never played the game.  We see it in almost every game forum.  Professional haters, you got to wonder who ate their Cheetos's up.

• CrackboneCrackbone Member Posts: 212

They've always been here.  This is the den of the haters. 

MMORPG..com ... where FFA PvP Loot hopes and Sandbox dreams go to die. 

Originally posted by dzoni87

Sorry, but you cannot fault people for playing the game the way it is designed.  Themeparks are a linear progression toward the end game, so that's what you get.  If the game designers made them to have a more horizontal game play style, where leveling wasn't so important, then you would see people spend less time grinding, and more time having experiences.

I'm looking forward to GW2 as much as anyone.  Probably even more than 99% of the *new* fan base since I played GW1 and love it. However it's not hard for an experienced MMO player to see that this is still just a thememark and that while they did move the genre forward with some repackaging of old mechanics and some new ideas, it's not going to blow people away with originality after you settle in and play for 30+ days.

The depth just isn't there, and it's still a vertical climb toward nothing.  Time will be spent like all previous themeparks.  You will level up, you will do collections and maybe some crafting.  You may like PvP more in this game than other games.  In the end, you will be grinding for gear, or re-rolling to expand your experience.

It's a good thing, for me, that I will have both TSW and GW2, because they both have strengths and weaknesses.

The GW2 actually DO have an endgame, just in different manner. The thing is: will you be willing enough to try it? If the answer is yes, then i think that you will be pleasantly rewarded for time spent.

The problem is: many people assume that endgame is only constant grinding for more and more and more gear untill another gear Tier/Season releases so they can begin all over again. Because GW2 is not that, you got a forum wars even before game release.

• PostcardsPostcards Member Posts: 105
    All games will have their haters and fanbois. It's only annoying/stupid when they bring this to other game forums.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I was wonder what others opinions were on the masive hype over GW2. 

Stopped reading when it reached this stage. Seriously, you people can stop trying to disguise your posts now. There is no hype when everything they've promised would be in the game IS actually in the game, you really can't hype it up more then the truth staring back at you when you login.

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415

Originally posted by erictlewis Good grief do we even need this thread, there already been tons of hate on GW2.  I for one have been staying away from it for now. I want to see what happens after launch and get a good idea of the fun of the game from folks who are really playing the game.  I for one am not a fan of ncsoft have not been since the tabula rasa problem, however at some point you got to look at what they done to recoup themselves if at all even possible. There sure is lots of hate for this game, and other games I honestly believe that for some folks it is a job to get on the forums here at mmorpg and dispense hate without having never played the game.  We see it in almost every game forum.  Professional haters, you got to wonder who ate their Cheetos's up.  

...sorry, I just really, really love cheetohs.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880
    There's some haters now but it'll get ugly a few days after the game is out and the pop on a bunch of lesser games drops.
    Originally posted by Derpybird
    Originally posted by eggy08

August 30th:

I think this is exactly what is going to happen.

Within days of release, there will, of course, be some disappointed players who didn't play a BWE or watch videos who will realize, upon playing, that this game isn't what they were looking for.

There will be players who reach end game, and even though we have no idea what it will look like or how it will play out, will say "oh it's not like traditional raiding" and so they'll leave.

And then there will be the thread after thread after thread of manufactured hate. And anyone who has followed the GW2 forums will know exactly who will be posting on these threads. And we already know the list of recycled complaints that will be posted.

This will, of course, be going on while the vast majority of people will be playing the game and not see a lot of reasons to actually be hanging out on the forums.

If you saw what happened every single BWE, it will just be a repeat of that all over again.

What you guys fail to understand, is that you sound exactly like the people who were on these forums talking up their favorite upcoming releases in the past.  (Some of you do this repeatedly)  Do you know how many threads and posts like this there were for games like WAR, Tabula Rasa, SWTOR, and many others?

SWTOR is my favorite example, because it was so recent. A handful of us saw the problems coming 6-12 months before release.  We were here after giving the game an honest try at release to express our thoughts about the many problems with the game with the hopes that *someone* would listen to our feedback.  We were bashed and insulted by rabid fanboys, some of whom were on the forums a month later complaining about the *exact* same problems.

The truth is, we don't really know how the game's going to do until it's out there full time for 30-60 days.  You would best serve your hopes by being realistic about it, and making sure that if the game has shortcomings, they are put out there for the devs to know about.  If you are suggesting this game is perfect as is, then you are beyond help.

I'll grant you that GW2 looks to be a solid title, but I still say it remains to be seen whether or not a lot of players are going to get the same themepark "been there done that" feeling from it once the shine of the new game wears off.   I hope I'm wrong, and I do have faith in ANet because they are a kick ass company.  We'll just have to wait and see.