Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NEW Rift Gamescom - VIDEO FEATURING HOUSING AND MORE!

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamescom...kthrough--cam-

awesome!!! this game is shaping up to really be the best MMO out there. This is great work by Trion Worlds.

(hey between you and me, anybody else would like Trion Worlds to buy Darkfall from AV and develop it out with tons of content updates, like they do Rift? just saying...)

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
           Let me know when Rift starts to focus 75% of their content towards open dynamic world and less instancing.. I'm so bore of dungeon / raid grinding..  Then I might go back to Rift when they do.. 
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    That looks really cool. I wish Vanguard had housing that worked as good as that.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by mmoguy43
    That looks really cool. I wish Vanguard had housing that worked as good as that.

EQ2 has housing like that.. not as easy to get a place with outdoor space though, but they are there. Rift are taking the best ideas from every other MMO and mashing it into one. That world boss at the end looks a hell of lot like the bosses in GW2. All of this copying, intentional or not, is definately a good thing.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

In what space and time is instanced EQ2-like housing better than non-instanced Vanguard housing?

REALITY CHECK

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Vannor

EQ2 has housing like that.. not as easy to get a place with outdoor space though, but they are there. Rift are taking the best ideas from every other MMO and mashing it into one. That world boss at the end looks a hell of lot like the bosses in GW2. All of this copying, intentional or not, is definately a good thing.

They have definitely been inspired by EQ2's housing, which I agree is a good thing.

Rift is growing into a great themepark and gradually showing me the ambition and scope I criticised it for not having at launch. I have slowly, piece by piece, become a Rift  and Trion fan over the course of it's life.

Wow... look a SUB based game that is out delivering it's cash shop competition and still making a profit. Kinda flies in the face of what the industry tells us is inevitable and 'has to happen' eh?

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by Thillian

In what space and time is instanced EQ2-like housing better than non-instanced Vanguard housing?

I mostly ment how well it works and how simple it is to adjust the objects you place down. Vangaurd was horrible with this and was very time consuming to get one object just right. But refering to instanced vs non instanced I think Rift is also better in that regard. Vanguard had hundreds of plots bought out indefinately and those people don't even play anymore which ruins it for everyone else. VG didn't have outdoor decorating, Outdoor objects that change the weather? VG would never have that being non-instanced. I think non-instanced housing really isn't worth it in the long run when looking at the problems. As long as you can get instanced housing to be seamless/maintaining immersion as much as possible then I think that is the way to go.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Rydeson
           Let me know when Rift starts to focus 75% of their content towards open dynamic world and less instancing.. I'm so bore of dungeon / raid grinding..  Then I might go back to Rift when they do.. 

Or when they allow people to get items for their toons without thousands of rifts currency, talk about grind.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Honestly, you would have to see what some of the community have done with their housing space in EQ2 to understand it.

This is more then the simple traditional argument of instanced vs non instanced, this is about creativity and customisation.

A good place to start; http://eq2decorators.com/showcase/showcase.php

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by itgrowls

Or when they allow people to get items for their toons without thousands of rifts currency, talk about grind.

Or when they make it so you instantly hit max level, get everything given for free and you have 0 insentive to play, making you quit fast even though your one of the players wanting everything given for free

Oh wait... XD

Really though, a lot of rift IS open world, issue comes that people are far to stubborn to pvp. It cuts down quite a bit on open world. People seem to neglect that Rift has one of the most dynamic worlds in an MMo since to them, the demand for Open World essencially means not the creators but the players wanting to go around open world to do stuff, which isn't really in their hands. 

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

The part I live in.

Not everyone likes the same things, and you'd do well to remember that.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

I really like the idea of your own dimention.

Putting your house out into the "open world" sound like a cool idea, but it isn't. It creates too much lag when you have to start loading all these dynamic structures. Plus, it makes a problem of overcrowding, because as big as the world is, its really not that big when you start trying to cram it full of player housing projects.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Exactly this!

Its nice having some sandbox features but when your endgame is 100% vertical gear progression then no amount of curveballs thrown at sandbox fans will suffice.

Ahh hell I'd take 35% open dynamic world sandbox features.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

What? Less instancing, Rift is an open world. Only the typical stuff like in all mmos are instanced such as dungeons and warfronts/battlegrounds, like WOW. The pve  game is open world. Try it sometime. Did you even quest to level 50? Probably not. If you rushed to level 50 then you have no complaint. I do dungeons and a lot of pvp and they are instanced of course. But I have done almost every quest in the game and it took me almost a year because I try to do them all and all of them were open world. I also read all the quests. Rift does need more land mass to explore and they are tripling the world with the expansion. People will always find a way to bash a game even if their logic is not sound or in the op's case simple wrong. Rift is open world not instanced.

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352

This didn't cover one very important point, utility.

Housing to me is more that just a place to decorate but rather a place to craft, repair, store items, portals, etc. I hope it is more than purely cosmetic as it will have no lasting value beyond the initial decorating, it must also have function. Most games with housing offer a lot more than simple cosmetics.

• engellenengellen Member UncommonPosts: 83
    if rift pulls this off with housing like they say, i swear to god i will go back and i will stay, props trion.

played a million mmo's

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by steelwind

This didn't cover one very important point, utility.

Housing to me is more that just a place to decorate but rather a place to craft, repair, store items, portals, etc. I hope it is more than purely cosmetic as it will have no lasting value beyond the initial decorating, it must also have function. Most games with housing offer a lot more than simple cosmetics.

The thing to have learned from EQ2 is that too much utility is bad.  EQ2 housing is almost purely cosmetic.  But then they added the guild halls, which are the size of a small city and more convenient.  And completely amazing looking with the decoration options.  But because of the utility, the cities emptied.  there was no reason to g to one, because your guild hall had it all.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

If ever there was a game that pulled off Housing and cities, SWG did it right.

Learn from that one Trion. Anarchy Online had Player housing and player cities, Aside from being required to do certain tasks in your city, you'd never go there.

SWG, gave players reasons to go to their own cities, That's where guilds communed, hung out and socialized.

Thank about that.

Why would I hang out in my city? If there isn't a real reason to stick around, players will find it more convenient to hang out in the major faction cities.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

that does look promising.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    Doubt it. Enjoy your hype.

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• insideout321insideout321 Member Posts: 71
    Awesome !
  • YansheeYanshee Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by Sephros
    Doubt it. Enjoy your hype.

So angry.... 

/tsk

• deadmanbelldeadmanbell Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Just came back to this after playing GW2 for about 15 hours this weekend. Already bored.. not my cup of tea. So far having fun playing Rift again seems to have come a long way since I played close to launch.
  • f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by Ivylena
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamescom...kthrough--cam-

awesome!!! this game is shaping up to really be the best MMO out there. This is great work by Trion Worlds.

(hey between you and me, anybody else would like Trion Worlds to buy Darkfall from AV and develop it out with tons of content updates, like they do Rift? just saying...)

[mod edit]

You see the thing with opinion is that there like assholes, everyone has one. Mine just so happens to be that Rift is the best MMO out there. Enjoy!

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by itgrowls

You doing the 3-4 instant adventures to make 5k-10k planarite? Is that the grind you're refering too?

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Im waiting for storm legion to come out to go back to Rift, housing looks sooo good.