Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

The term "next-gen MMO"...

coretex666coretex666 PraguePosts: 1,934Member Uncommon

Some people may consider it to be a vague buzz word used to hype games up. I would not say that they are necessarily wrong.

I think that the term has different meaning to different people, but I believe that it can be defined and that it isnt a completely vague word.  Devs of ArcheAge consider their game to be next gen based on player created content and the ability to modify the environment. Blizzard used the term in relation to their next MMO, so that they also seem to have their idea.

What makes an MMO to be next-gen, in your opinion.

Is it graphics?

Is it introduction of revolutionary elements in gameplay?

Is it completely new conception?

Is it content created by players?

Is it establishment of top competitive environment which allows the game to be an e-sport?

Is it relevant whether it is a themepark or a sandbox game?

Do you think that any games that can be considered next gen released already?Do you think that any of the upcoming MMOs are next gen?

Waiting for L2 EU Classic

Comments

• maplestonemaplestone Ottawa, ONPosts: 3,099Member

It's what comes next.

(the term makes the most sense in situations where a lot of products are being built on the same core engine or standards)

Ask me what I expect from the term and you'll just get my personal feature wishlist because I have no idea where the industry is really going.

• DestaiDestai Detroit, MIPosts: 574Member
    Originally posted by coretex666

Some people may consider it to be a vague buzz word used to hype games up. I would not say that they are necessarily wrong.

I think that the term has different meaning to different people, but I believe that it can be defined and that it isnt a completely vague word.  Devs of ArcheAge consider their game to be next gen based on player created content and the ability to modify the environment. Blizzard used the term in relation to their next MMO, so that they also seem to have their idea.

What makes an MMO to be next-gen, in your opinion.

Is it graphics?

Is it introduction of revolutionary elements in gameplay?

Is it completely new conception?

Is it content created by players?

Is it establishment of top competitive environment which allows the game to be an e-sport?

Is it relevant whether it is a themepark or a sandbox game?

Do you think that any games that can be considered next gen released already?Do you think that any of the upcoming MMOs are next gen?

It's about as useful as AAA game. 

• NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common

I thought it was Blizzards marketing term for Titan  ;)

seriously tho,

I remember when some people hailed Age of Conan as a nextgen mmo because of DX10 and having different combat engine

http://www.warcry.com/forums/read/160.44656-E3-2007-Age-of-Conan-Preview

Age of Conan is a next generation MMO from Norwegian developers Funcom

• BladestromBladestrom edinburghPosts: 4,943Member Uncommon
    I think it's use has died away over the last 6 months as we have come to realise in mmorg terms you get evolution and progression. For me next gen was all about graphics resolution and effects, and there is diminishing returns on that front, a half a million pixels here and there is meaningless these days.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• azmundaiazmundai St Louis, MOPosts: 1,417Member

its a hacked together term that really doesnt have a meaning other than possibly (in the current landscape) it's DX11.

next gen games was a term coined to talk about the newer, better games coming out on the newer and better console.

the mmo / pc market doesn't really work in terms of next gen and especially the mmo market which tends to target low end systems.

of course the term is somewhat relevant because .. the low end PCs devs target does increase .. but it's kinda an oxymoron.

for me the term is especially silly .. considering 12 years ago I was happily playing text based mmos. its great that the graphics animations, and combat are increasing .. too bad it seems to come at the cost of depth (imo).

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaPosts: 8,444Member Uncommon

Next gen would be any game engine that FULLY utilized DX11/12 in the game engine.There has been many people/videos prove that next gen Directx libraries are not always the best either.You see new tech does things to lower poly count to allow for many more objects and other reasons,but it does remove the over all quality or models and meshes.

Utilizing a physics program would also give you next gen as no game engine has it built in and is considerd next gen because it does more than just allow physics ,it also lowers the load on the GPU which helps gaming in a big way.I beleive the UDK has a license to use physics software as part of their engine,but they don't actually own the software.

I cannot see how there is such a thing as player created content,it is imo not even possible as of now in MMORPG's.To have player created content would be to utilize something similar to the UNREAL UDK.This gives the players the game engine and tools to make content.it can then be imported into the game for use.It is possible in MMORPG's but not likely for a long time.Manipulating land i would agree is still next gen becuase it is not even close to being utilized to it's fullest.In AA for example ,last i heard it was ONLY in the housing maps and they were instanced from the game world.

I agree that new elements or ideas would be considered next gen as longg as they are not cheap ideas disguised to be something more,example "Dynamic events" is LOL big time sell job there.

An idea of next gen would be like FFXI using a language translator,i doubt there is a single game on this planet that has one.This also allowed gamers from all over the world to play together,again unheard of in gaming.Everything now is EU publishers/Asian publishers and NA publishers.

Another element would be to utilize dodging,however GW2 is not doing the Unreal Tournament idea justice.GW2 is using it as an automated dmg avoidance and unrealistic dodging effect/buff.

Multi layered texturing and destructive surfaces would still be considered next gen.The destructive surfaces is really only doable in a large scale way using outside programs,again utilizing physics software.The old fashion way was to build blocks/chunks utilize them as triggered/movers.

There is waht some might call next gen lighting and terrain editors [Speedtree].However i would argue that they are cases that prove next gen is not always the best option.Example how many people still to this day woudl rather have hand made products than assembly line products.

Samoan Diamond