Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Maestia: Rise of Keledus: Are Beautiful Graphics Enough?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

There are two English language versions of Maestia. We have been putting the US version to the test to see how it stacks up against other MMOs. See how Maestia fared in our latest review!

Character creation options in Maestia are somewhat lacking and all we get are a limited selection of faces and hairstyles. There are also no facial attributes to adjust and no character voices to choose from. The choices here are definitely a lot skimpier than what you get in the big name MMORPGs like Rift or Tera. However, as if to make up for these shortcomings, the game lets you pick any colour you want for your character's skin and hair. And when I say any colour, it really is ANY colour. Feel like rolling a blue-skinned Pandoran who looks like he/she just escaped from Avatar? Go right ahead.

Read more of Adrian Liew's Maestia: Are Beautiful Graphics Enough?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    wow for a sec i thought it was a diablo 3  story- but you get the 'picture'..
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

nope. Graphics alone are not enough.

Tera is a prime example. Tera is a fantasticly looking game, but sadly the extreme Asian quirckiness, the art style, and the very shallow endgame content just keeps it in obscurity.

AoC was also incredibly beautiful and yet the combat mechanics, very heavy instancing, and very high computer requirements, not to mention the shaky launch, really limited it's popularity.

i still believe that WoW's succes was due mainly because of how inredibly responsive and easy to control your character is ( have yet to find that kind of responsivness in any mmo) and just how well the game runs on just about any machine. Graphics had nothing to do with it.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    lmao, this game looks like a clone of that taiwanese wow clone runes of magic. this is a clone of a clone
  • onelesslightonelesslight Member UncommonPosts: 161

Oddly, I liked Maestia and plan to dabble in it from time to time. Nevertheless, your observations were spot-on (I didn't try out PvP yet though). 

I think I've just played a lot worse...

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312
    the combat is quite simple, and fun enough, however the class imbalance on a game that concentrates on heavy pvp is the killer of this game.
  • rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by Asamof
    lmao, this game looks like a clone of that taiwanese wow clone runes of magic. this is a clone of a clone

Not even close, Runes of Magic is a decent game and has far more depth than many Sub games...I guess thats how the game managed to make so much money it funded two other games including Tera and the upcoming RaiderZ even though its F2P.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Considering Tera and raiderz are made by two different companies, neither of which has sun thing to do with this game... What are you talking about rdrakken?
  • RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174

This game does look reasonable, but standard cloned systems inlcuding questing. (for all you developers out there its time to ditch QUEST HUBS its 2012 folks srsly now)

No innovation and no creativity so this game will likely be recevied poorly like most other asian Free2pays.(Btw Auto Potion is the norm in these kind of games and is not innovative)

There will be another one of these games in about 10 minutes *looks at watch*

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by rdrakken
    Originally posted by Asamof

Not even close, Runes of Magic is a decent game and has far more depth than many Sub games...I guess thats how the game managed to make so much money it funded two other games including Tera and the upcoming RaiderZ even though its F2P.

It definately did not fund either of those games. Maybe helped them get publishing rights to them in the specific region?

• XPraetorianXXPraetorianX Member CommonPosts: 107
    It looks exactly like Aion even the UI box.
  • botardedbotarded Member Posts: 4

Don’t waste your time . It’s mostly garbage and its already low population was dying a mere two weeks after OB. While it’s not very hard to reach cap at all, there’s nothing to do when you get there. The final dungeon is almost entirely pointless, as the world bosses in the endgame PvP zone (Dark Lipido) are what drop the best gear. And those bosses can be solo’d. Theoretically, the PvP situation would provide the challenge to farming them, except there’s nobody IN Dark Lipido (unless it’s 5 or 6 of the opposing faction…when you’re by yourself).

Thus far, that zone started out being completely dominated by a handful of quick level cappers on one side. Then they got bored and quit. Then it became owned by a handful of level cappers on the other side.

We’re literally talking about a total endgame population of like 20 people within the first month, most of whom have already quit.

And the skill trees seem nice at first, but each skill tier has so many prerequisite ranks in earlier skills that you wind up blowing most of your points in crap that you don’t want.

On Class Balance: Mage has an instant cast 25 second sleep, an instant cast 10 second silence and an instant cast 3 second stun. Nuff said? 

This review is pretty much spot on. And yeah, the RvR arena is downright silly.

• FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235

Originally posted by XPraetorianX

It looks exactly like Aion even the UI box.

That's what I thought. Even the skill pictures... It's AIon with a green-skinned character :O

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• melenonemelenone Member Posts: 25
    People will logg into this to max lvl no matter the quality, strange but even people do it with facebook games...saying that, the subject of the topic is pretty:)......we have all been here before, allods ect...and yes alot of great games didnt start that way and had class balance issues that have been fixed ect ect......This will be called a clone game from the read of this but, those clone games do pretty well, just glad i read this before i downloaded it.
  • SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531
    How many times do we need to get over this already?   NO , graphics doesn't do a MMO and never will , otherwise you won't have the 2 MOST popular MMO's having "crappy graphics" which are WoW and Maple Story.    Enough of this graphics bull , if you want graphics don't look for it in a MMO  , go play shooters instead , that's the genre where graphics ARE important.
  • otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

Graphics .... the least important thing in an mmo.

Look at how Tera failed hard

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by Panther2103

It definately did not fund either of those games. Maybe helped them get publishing rights to them in the specific region?

It definately did. I suggest you go look at the companies reports, Runes of Magic made up over 60% of their profits for 3 straight years.

• MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185

Originally posted by otacu

Maybe to you. For marketing purposes, I imagine it could be one of the most important. Making money often means new content. Gamers win out if we encourage the styles we like and discourage the ones we don't. In the same way that we are discouraging this games cut and paste mechanics. It is good to let them know what worked and what didn't.

• Doomed802Doomed802 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Spot on review
  • snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Boy I must see games through a different set of eyes then most, how does anything think this game and games like this have good graphics?  The game is overly bright, washed out and the characters look like two dimensional paper cut outs.  There is no decent lighting or shadows to speak of, textures are flat and lifeless, there is no bump mapping or spectral lighting. All these over seas F2P games look like they use the same terrible game engine with bloom turn up to hide the lack of effort and we keep telling them they are making games with good graphics.

Games with bright colors does not equal good graphics.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
         Gameplay>>>>>>>>>>graphics 
  • NerfesNerfes Member Posts: 4

What are you talking about guys? This game owns. See the global service version of the game called "The Battle for Country" on Gamengame site. In this version, shows the battle of the two Factions which is "Superion" (Eastern Countries e.g. Philipphines, China, Korea.. etc) and the "Knight'sTemplar" (Western Countries e.g. U.S., Spain, etc..) called the RvR (A mass pvp faction war). This game is a global war MMORPG,  are you playing MMO just for entertainment? this game is not just that, in this game i experienced to fight a war for my country.

IGN: Eyes

• SeiTieSSeiTieS Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by Nerfes

What are you talking about guys? This game owns. See the global service version of the game called "The Battle for Country" on Gamengame site. In this version, shows the battle of the two Factions which is "Superion" (Eastern Countries e.g. Philipphines, China, Korea.. etc) and the "Knight'sTemplar" (Western Countries e.g. U.S., Spain, etc..) called the RvR (A mass pvp faction war). This game is a global war MMORPG,  are you playing MMO just for entertainment? this game is not just that, in this game i experienced to fight a war for my country.

IGN: Eyes

You really defended your game aye? well i am currently playing on the NA version of this one and so far the game is pretty good. I can't tell that this is the best mmo that I played but so far it entertains me enough to kill my boredom to lineage and wow. Back to the topic, graphics is not necessary to mmo games. It's all about how you played and enjoyed the game. I will try RO2 on the next following days even though i already heard a lot of negative feedbacks about it. It doesn't have a good graphics but we will see if the gameplay can catch up on the odds.

• poringslasherporingslasher Member Posts: 59
    i'd rather play a cookie cutter game with depth than a beautifully rendered game without any content. i play Andor's Trail on my android phone because it is one of the better RPGs there. not so good graphic wise but definitely good gameplay.
  • poringslasherporingslasher Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by MaxJac
    Originally posted by otacu

Maybe to you. For marketing purposes, I imagine it could be one of the most important. Making money often means new content. Gamers win out if we encourage the styles we like and discourage the ones we don't. In the same way that we are discouraging this games cut and paste mechanics. It is good to let them know what worked and what didn't.

yet many new games with horrendous graphics have emerged successfully nowadays. (hello minecraft and home)

idk why but the pixelated retro style games seem to sell quite well. i want eye candy game too. but, content is more important.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

Originally posted by Asamof lmao, this game looks like a clone of that taiwanese wow clone runes of magic. this is a clone of a clone

clone of clone sounds very fun!=XD

what is depth of RoM? how far they coming into your wallet?

Worst buy to win I ever seen, could be sorta fun if was not grindy, full of bugs and somehow outdated.

Where do you found info that GameForge aka Frogster, launched Tera??? or RaiderZ???
    and anyone but you still play this funny money game?

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2