Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 outselling WoW:MoP on Amazon US!

Comments

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by eGumball
    Originally posted by Nadia
    im happy GW2 is selling well on amazon but MOP will still crush it for first week sales

Because MoP is a worldwide release and Guild Wars 2 is EU/US only. MoP will get the '' first week '', maybe '' first month '' but it won´t get the all time thingy. In the long run, Guild Wars 2 will more than crush MoP.

No.   The Chinese just rent the full game.   They don't subscribe in the way we look at subscriptions, though Blizzard calls them subs in what is more a cheap marketing ploy than an actual financial metric.  

How it works:  The Chinese gamers have an account with NetEase, the company that licenses WoW from Blizzard.  The Chinese buy a time card to gain access to playing their account.   The time card costs under $5 US and gives them 4000 minutes of play.    They can spread that time out over years or use it up in a under a week.   If they log-in for even one minute in any fiscal quarter, Blizzard calls them a 'sub' even though they're not Blizzard's customers, they're not subbing in the way we understand MMO subbing, and the accounting for active players itself is very dodgy.

In reality we know Blizzard has about 5 million Western MMO players at peak and less during the lulls.   We get that from the XPAC sales they announce.  Based on historical sales data, I expect Blizzard to announce between 3.5 and 4.0  million sales in the first week.   They will, eventually, break 5 million as lapses come back to play for a while.    That's how it worked for Cata, WotLK and BC.   That's how I expect it to work for MoP.

But at no time will Blizzard they have 9 million or 10 million or 12 million subscriberes.  Their claims to the contrary.   Over half those customers are customers of NetEase to whom Blizzard leases the WoW software and collects a royalty based off time-card sales.   A royalty that is about 5% of their total subscription/royalty gross for Blizzard.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by grapevine

Hate to burst the bubble, but it doesn't mean anything.  Most WoW players seem to be going for the digital download, so they can start playing at Midnight.

Also ANet are charging a crazy amount, compared to other retailers.

it's 59.99 at all the major retailers and Anet wtf are you talking about?>

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

My "guess" is GW2 will definately outsell MoP.

First of all, GW2 is sold all over the world.  MoP is only selling in western country.  People in for example asia, dont' need to pay for MoP since that's free, any expansion of wow is free in asia. 

So basically the guess is MoP will sell the same amount as the previous expansion, which is maybe 4.7m? and consider wow is at a decline it'll probably sell less.

So now the question is will GW2 sell 4.7m copies.  My answer is I dotn' know but my guess is it will.  It probably won't sell that much copies initially, but it should sell for over those number.  Especially for a B2P games.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by expresso

MOP = cheaper to buy digital than boxed £35 boxed vs £30 digital 

GW2 = cheaper to buy box than digital £50 digital vs £35 boxed

I am sure the above factors in, but let's be honest MOP will sell more than GW2. 

Besides Justin bebeir sells more preorders than most does that mean he's the best musician? Yeah I went there.

I expect WoW to sell between 3.5 and 4.0 million copies pretty much off the bat.  I expect them to eventually break 5 million.  And then it's going to stop.  Just like Cata.  Just like WotLK.  Just like BC.    There is a western base of just over 5 million WoW fans.   And that's it.   The rest are in China and they don't buy the game, they just have a Net Ease account and have full access to the entire game via time-cards.

OTOH, GW1 has sold over 7 million accounts.   Which considering that you, in the early days, bought three individual campaigns plus EoN individually, which probably translates into a lot more than 7 million units.   (You couldn't buy the combined back until late 2008, don't remember exactly when, but it was late 2008.  And even then, you bought EoN separately. )

So, yeah, WoW wins short-term in sales.   But MoP looses in the long-run as the audience has a hard-cap on it whereas GW2 doesn't...

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

It seems like a long shot, but I honestly think GW2 will end up selling more than MoP in the end (that is, in the US and EU). I also think GW2 will be the new WoW, in a way: not as big as WoW is - or rather, was - but *that MMO* that most people play, at least for a couple of years.

Or maybe I'd better say, the new Diablo, as it doesn't have a sub so the sales are the only thing that counts. 

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

Hate to burst the bubble, but it doesn't mean anything.  Most WoW players seem to be going for the digital download, so they can start playing at Midnight.

Not in the EU it isn't.  It had also been cheaper on Amazon.com, although pricing has kept changing.

Its also a different demographic.  Existing WoW players, compared to a new game.  The head start for GW2 does not need a physical disk.  If one doesn't have the digital version of MoP, they have to wait until their disk turns up.  Yes, it's will be there the next day, but most want to be online at its launch time.  Same happened with Cata.  Digital sales impacted the physical ones, due to immediate access.

yea same I just don't even see it in the top 50.. unless i skipped it somehow.. which doesn't make sense because Cata is still in the top 50

currently, MOP is not even the top 100 - i checked

but we all know how well MOP will sell first week    millionzzz

that doesn't add up though considering Cata is still in there and MoP CE is #2.. very strange

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• eGumballeGumball Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by RizelStar
    Originally posted by VermilioNomy

MoP will get the '' first week '', maybe '' first month '' but it won´t get the all time thingy. In the long run, Guild Wars 2 will more than crush MoP.

I share the same belief :)

You're reminding me of those batman-fans that kept writing everywhere on IMDB/facebook: DARK KNIGHT RISES WILL CRUSH ALL RECORDS. Guess what, it didn't crush nada.

To the OP: using Amazon as your only "sales number" not considering the period when GW2 is launching and when kung fu panda is launching.... it just doesn't add up.

It seems our gw2-community is as focused on beating wow as in getting fps-smacked when WvWvW will commence.

Verm, you seem to be one of the old '' raiding-generation '' who still thinks that WoW is as mighty as before. There are, around 9 million WoW players, which means that around 9 million boxes will be sold in the long run. However, the china share of these numbers is the biggest one, leaving only around 2-4 million players from EU/USA.

Guild Wars 2 is a game that will be released, only in EU and USA, which means that box-sales around 3-5 million, is kidna competive to WoW and I can´t see Guild Wars 2 not selling the said amount in the long run.

Otherwise for your last '' words '', none is focused on beating WoW, because Guild Wars 2 did that since the beta or should I remind you that there´s a big different in the quality of these two games.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

It's also possible that a lot of players who are in the fence are waiting to play GW2 a bit before they make the decision about whether or not to purchase MoP.

Like it or not MoP is going to sell a lot of copies. I guess we'll find out eventually if GW2 outsells MoP, however, MoP is almost guaranteed at least 3-4 million sold.

Originally posted by heartless

It's also possible that a lot of players who are in the fence are waiting to play GW2 a bit before they make the decision about whether or not to purchase MoP.

Like it or not MoP is going to sell a lot of copies. I guess we'll find out eventually if GW2 outsells MoP, however, MoP is almost guaranteed at least 3-4 million sold.

I'm one of those people, and agree with your observation as I'm sure I won't be the only person.

I like GW2, but it's PvE longevity concerns me.  Which is why I'm still keeping my eye on MoP, but it's not my first choice.

Originally posted by heartless

I'm one of those people, and agree with your observation as I'm sure I won't be the only person.

I like GW2, but it's PvE longevity concerns me.  Which is why I'm still keeping my eye on MoP, but it's not my first choice.

that stance still seems ridiculous to me especially for a B2P game.. If leveling from 1-80 is a blast then whats the huge deal if for some reason the longevity wasn't there for you(with so much to do I doubt you would get bored anytime soon).. not to mention you got the pvp side of things.. for $60 bucks I don't really see how you could go wrong

There isn't one other than I stop playing.  Already have the pre-purchase, and know I like it.  Doesn't mean it will have a holding factor.  To be honest with the BWEs and stress tests, it already feeling repetitive as one really doesn't need to take much notice of the "quests".   Follow the masses and kill stuff, when you take it on face value.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    1-80 with 5 years worth of developed content that has not been touched sounds like a safer bet than 85-90 with revamped dailies and a potentially rushed expansion.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• XtenXten Member Posts: 119

My gf bought 2 copies of GW2 yesterday for 39 euro, digital version.

• RattusRattus Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Guild Wars 2 is a game that will be released, only in EU and USA,

Hmmmmm. I could have swore I bought the GW2 pre-purchase locally.  I don't live in the EU or the USA.  :P

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Mari2k
    You can buy mop als digital from blizz at the same price then amazon , so the numbers are bs

^^This and the fact that it comes out a month later.....but nice try.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    Not trying to start an arguement, but I feel this question need's too be asked. How many people are gonna buy MoP, after being highly disappointed by cataclysm?
    There isn't one other than I stop playing.  Already have the pre-purchase, and know I like it.  Doesn't mean it will have a holding factor.  To be honest with the BWEs and stress tests, it already feeling repetitive as one really doesn't need to take much notice of the "quests".   Follow the masses and kill stuff, when you take it on face value.

in the lower areas a little but don't follow the masses if you don't want to go off and explore.. this game has so much to do, for me it only feels little reptative if i let it. Also all games in one way or another are going to be repetative so that argument is sort of silly.

Originally posted by VermilioNomy

MoP will get the '' first week '', maybe '' first month '' but it won´t get the all time thingy. In the long run, Guild Wars 2 will more than crush MoP.

I share the same belief :)

You're reminding me of those batman-fans that kept writing everywhere on IMDB/facebook: DARK KNIGHT RISES WILL CRUSH ALL RECORDS. Guess what, it didn't crush nada.

To the OP: using Amazon as your only "sales number" not considering the period when GW2 is launching and when kung fu panda is launching.... it just doesn't add up.

It seems our gw2-community is as focused on beating wow as in getting fps-smacked when WvWvW will commence.

That month gap on the release dates argument i quite weak considering that GW2 as a game still has launch and establish unlike WoW. Add to that that they already sold 1 million copies in the first couple of days when they first started selling them and now they shot up to the nr 1 spot regardless of all those sales a few months ago.

GW2 is booming lets not pretend it wont hit Blizard in anyway.

Originally posted by Xten

OP was talking US amazon sales so I assumed grapevines was talking US

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by clumsytoes44
    Not trying to start an arguement, but I feel this question need's too be asked. How many people are gonna buy MoP, after being highly disappointed by cataclysm?

me and my group.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

well tbh europe has more sales tax in digital sales then the U.S so that fact is not helping your argument ;)

Peace V

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by clumsytoes44

Even if GW2 does not live up to my expectations, which I highly doubt since I played it for over 60 hours already, I'm never buying another WoW expansion. Not because I was disappointed by Cataclysm but because WoW got too old for me and although I still have fond memories of it, I simply cannot play it anymore. Plus I'm not a huge fan of gear grinds/carrot-on-a-stick gameplay anymore.

well tbh europe has more sales tax in digital sales then the U.S so that fact is not helping your argument ;)

Peace V

what argument? if we are talking EU there is no argument because all my statements were toward US 

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004
    Originally posted by Rattus
    Guild Wars 2 is a game that will be released, only in EU and USA,

Hmmmmm. I could have swore I bought the GW2 pre-purchase locally.  I don't live in the EU or the USA.  :P

Guild wars is sold in like 100 countries.  If you are for example from Taiwan or Thailand or Korean, you will be playing on US server.

The only thing is there's no Chinese or Korean Language version of the game.