Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria: Opening Cinematic Trailer Released

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Blizzard Entertainment has released the official opening cinematic trailer for the upcoming World of Warcraft expansion, Mists of Pandaria. The trailer was released during this week's Gamescom convention in Germany. See what you think!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    That was kind of a let down, good CG though.
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Already made a post (8 mins quicker too! so FIRST! :P ) http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/360762

Can you close that thread so we can discuss the cinematic trailer on one thread (this one)? :)

My opinion is that it is an awesome trailer. Everyone knows WoW's gameplay and it'll either appeal to someone or not but sometimes you just have to admire the technical work on display in that cinematic!

This might make the 'going back to WoW' less painful for me.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Awesome trailer. Still not wild about pandas and hate what they are going to do with the talents but Blizz makes great trailers!!!
  • SquatchinSquatchin Member Posts: 93

That was awesome as far as CG goes, Terrible as far as WoW goes. I feel that Kung Fu Panda is such an awful idea.

Just another reason I will never play or buy another Blizzard product again.

• wolffinwolffin Member UncommonPosts: 193
    I enjoyed it

• SomsbalSomsbal Member Posts: 222
    Originally posted by kabitoshin
    That was kind of a let down, good CG though.

Indeed. The details and animations and all are great as usual, but it wasn't really as special as some of their previous cinematics. It felt very standard to me, unlike, for example, the WOTLK cinematic. Even the Cata cinematic, while somewhat cheesy, felt more epic.

But then again, i doubt that they intended to make an "epic" cinematic for MOP, as it probably didn't fit to the theme of the new expansion.

• TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524

I liked it. The whole "It needs to be dark and gritty so my friends will think I'm so cool!!" was getting boring any way.

Enough with the "it has to be dark and gritty to cater to a mature audience", and enough with the elves and orcs, that fantasy setting has been dried out. What I want is something new, something with a sci-fi setting.

Firefly MMO.

Eleanor Rigby.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Well, that was nice. I've been more impressed by the original intro, and the BC one, when they were released. But from a certain skill level on, you can improve the CG only marginally. So, nice. Not jaw-dropping, but good.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

Originally posted by Treekodar

I liked it. The whole "It needs to be dark and gritty so my friends will think I'm so cool!!" was getting boring any way.

Enough with the "it has to be dark and gritty to cater to a mature audience", and enough with the elves and orcs, that fantasy setting has been dried out. What I want is something new, something with a sci-fi setting.

Firefly MMO.

If 'Sci-fi setting' is your MMO thing, I don't think WoW is for you. :P

It seems a lot more light-hearted than usual and I think for the first time in an expansion, there was no 'BAD GUY'.

BC - Illidan, Wrath - Arthas, Cata - Deathwing but MoP? nothing.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

The CG is definitely getting better.

I am just curious why WoW hasn't come out with a movie yet, I know my kids would love it.

But back on topic.

I see they added some humor to this trailer, I guess with the last couple of game release trailers, it's been about flying dragons and dread.

With a little more convincing, I may create a Pandarian race now. But we will see come September.

• NoizMchnNoizMchn Member UncommonPosts: 29
    imo - best part is when they are standing side by side and he hands the spear over.
  • RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

Ill post what I posted on the WoW forums.

1) Thanks Blizzard this is epic as usual!

2) When are you going to actually release a movie?!

3) Can we please have a WoW game with those graphics at some point?

• wolffinwolffin Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Originally posted by NoizMchn
    imo - best part is when they are standing side by side and he hands the spear over.

I thought was the best part lol

Originally posted by NoizMchn

I got a very 'War3 vanilla intro' vibe in that scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f96hKqkY_Y

Gdemami -

• WhiteProphetWhiteProphet Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Just lol good thing i never liked wow much (looks like the devs are big fans of the kung fu panda movies)
    Originally posted by jpnz

If 'Sci-fi setting' is your MMO thing, I don't think WoW is for you. :P

It seems a lot more light-hearted than usual and I think for the first time in an expansion, there was no 'BAD GUY'.

BC - Illidan, Wrath - Arthas, Cata - Deathwing but MoP? nothing.

That's because there is no "bad guy". It's Horde vs Alliance. I'm looking forward to the later patches, as the war escalates. Sci-fi setting or not, I might as well play WoW while waiting for "my thing" :)

Eleanor Rigby.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by Treekodar

Firefly MMO.

I hear you on that when it comes to sci fi mmorpgs!

However WoW is the Fantasy MMO I always go back to when I get the itch to see Elves and Ors.

Originally posted by Raven

Ill post what I posted on the WoW forums.

1) Thanks Blizzard this is epic as usual!

2) When are you going to actually release a movie?!

3) Can we please have a WoW game with those graphics at some point?

I would love a Warcraft anime. Anime's can be mature as well (Gantz, as an example).

Eleanor Rigby.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Originally posted by WhiteProphet
    Just lol good thing i never liked wow much (looks like the devs are big fans of the kung fu panda movies)

Probably the other way round. :) The guys who made Kung Fu Panda seem to be great fans of Blizzards work. ^^

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• kalrhaelkalrhael Member Posts: 87

Haven't been impressed with the blizzard cinematics since the burning crusade, but I gotta say this one really held my attention, great trailer, the choreography was fun, and the voice over fits the character well - great lines too, gave me goose bumps at the end. 

Well done blizzard. 

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    The trailer was great but I hate the way CGI makes games look graphically amazing when in fact they are old and dated.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Was thinking its not a bad trailer up until the point the panda pops in haha.. what are they thinknig.. pandas... with sticks..

Also why did the human sharpen up a stick when he had a sword?

Originally posted by Caldrin

Also why did the human sharpen up a stick when he had a sword?

What if he lost his sword?

Eleanor Rigby.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    its a good trailer to market the game - even if i dont like pandas being added
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Ok so they made pandas look cool....image

WE  KNOW THEY ARENT THOUGH!!! right?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"