Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Warcraft: Should Azeroth be F2P to 60?

124»

Comments

• LordTyphonLordTyphon Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by fahadjafar
    their biggest competitor is going f2p, this is a overstatement. ever since relase SWToR was not WoW's competitor, it was it's own competitor. and i think that blizzard should allow unlimited playtime upto the contentexpanison a player has bought excpet for MoP. if someone has bought upto cataclysm, let them play contents upto that point for unlimited time. but do take monthly fee for MoP until the next expanison comes. take monthly fee only for the contents of newest expansion, it is more than enough.  

Oddly I would say Eve Online is doing better then them then with this logic.  Eve Onine has to this date a player base strong enough that F2P has never been considered or is being considered for anytime in the forseeable future.  To me that would make it the MMO RPG King as folks are still paying for it, even in this age of F2P MMORPGS.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by TigerAero

F2P is for the dogs. I don't understand everyone's thinking. Is everyone really that broke that they are pushing F2P on everyone and every thing?

saying that people are broke because they want F2P games tahts just your false assumption. I prefer F2P and B2P games, but if i have to pay a subscription ON and OFF it would be for WoW because it has the Lore that i love. However that doesnt mean i support subscriptions, i have only played like 5 months overall since i bought WoW when Cata launched (played private servers since TBC).

Now, i can afford a constant sub for mmos but i hate the greed of the developers / publishers... I buy a game and i have to rent it as well or i cant play it? bullshit.

I accept that you support subscriptions if its fine for you. But, supporting subs to a level where you get to insult and blame F2P gamers of being broke is like bending over to the devs then paying them monthly to let you do the job down there if you know what i mean.....

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431

WOW is the only one left with a fixed subscription (EVE as the only other one but in SF mode).

As long as this club fee attracts multi million players there is no need to go for the free to play market.

• LangsdorffLangsdorff Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by sammandar
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Given that buying four expansions is going to cost something like $100 or more, it certainly wouldn't hurt them to get people into the game and playing through a lot of content for free. I would think that initial cost is a huge hurdle to get people to jump over.

I don't agree with that logic though. Why would F2P 1-60 get people in if the F2P 1-20 hasn't already. It reminds me a bit of SWTOR devs, who believed that their payment model was the reason they were losing so many subs, when in fact it was the lack of content and poorly executed game as whole, amongst other things.

Case in point, I think WOW is just getting "old"; as the years pass by I believe it is getting harder and harder for more players to justify paying 15 bucks of month for what WOW has to offer; especialy in a market where more games are switching over to a hybrid B2P/F2P model.

Though I do expect MoP to bump WOW's numbers a bit, I don't think it will stop the "bleeding". Not only do I think that MoP will be the worst selling WOW expansion since "Vanilla", but I think that shortly after MoP releases, WOW's numbers will continue to sink.

In lieu of the continual loss of subs, Blizzard may very well experiment with a hybrid payment model for WOW, but I don't think that will solve the problem. If Blizzard wants to stop the bleeding, instead of just throwing out more of the same (MoP) or changing their payment model, they need to do some major content and gameplay restructuring. Question is... is it too late.

Because there are only so many toons you can lvl to 20 without boring yourself to death. Do you realize how long it takes a gamer to get to 20? I guess not. It's not very long. 

Langsdorff

• BrenacusBrenacus Member Posts: 44

no. the first 20lvls already are. if you give the cheap f2p people 60lvls, think about it; thats 2/3 of the game, free. what would be the incentive to pay for 1mo of game time just to hit lvl cap then quit once you get there? you could make a dozen toons to lvl 60 and would have experienced most of the game, only difference is after that youre doing the same thing with better gear.

dumb question. next.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
          I think the highest I ever made it in WoW before extreme boredom set in was level 70.....I dont know how anyone can start fresh today and go all the way to 85 without tearing all their hair out.....60 for me would be about as far as I'd want to go anyway.
  • AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    So far the responses to mop beta have been good. Doubt f2p is coming soon.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Theocritus
          I think the highest I ever made it in WoW before extreme boredom set in was level 70.....I dont know how anyone can start fresh today and go all the way to 85 without tearing all their hair out.....60 for me would be about as far as I'd want to go anyway.

This makes me think about incentive to play that P2P brings. When you pay for something, you want to get your money's worth out of that something. Paying for a game gives more incentive to play the game. It's the same with F2P I'm sure. If you buy something from the Cash Shop, you're going to want to play the game to get your money's worth out of it. Having F2P to level 60 will certainly get more people into the game, but would it give them enough incentive to play?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.