Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Only the dead play World of Warcraft

AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

In the image below you can see a gravestone with some sort of symbols carved into.

http://www.chroniclesoftyria.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/I-played-WoW-and-look-at-me-now.If-only-I-had-been-like-you-and-stuck-to-playing-GW2.1.jpg

These symbols come from the New Krytan alphabet and when translated you get:

"I played WoW and look at me now,
if only I had been like you and stuck to playing Guild Wars 2."

Credits go to Jalinar for translating.
Credits go to ANet for making this happen.
Credits go to Alot for creating such a sensationalist thread.
Credits go to littleXuro for ninja'ing me by 14 minutes.
Credits go to (input name of easily enraged GW2 hater) for making this thread live (and die).

Comments

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Wow look at that. Extra cheesy.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    is that legal? to introduce such messages in a game, blaming other i mean, because dont seems so.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    GW2 be trollin'.
  • ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    Originally posted by Alot

In the image below you can see a gravestone with some sort of symbols carved into.

http://www.chroniclesoftyria.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/I-played-WoW-and-look-at-me-now.If-only-I-had-been-like-you-and-stuck-to-playing-GW2.1.jpg

These symbols come from the New Krytan alphabet and when translated you get:

"I played WoW and look at me now,
    if only I had been like you and stuck to playing Guild Wars 2."

Credits go to Jalinar for translating.
    Credits go to ANet for making this happen.
    Credits go to Alot for creating such a sensationalist thread.
    Credits go to (input name of easily enraged GW2 hater) for making this thread live (and die).

except... you were beat by 14 min =P

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/360653/WoW-Tombstone.html

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by Varthander
    is that legal? to introduce such messages in a game, blaming other i mean, because dont seems so.

I'm pretty sure that South Park didn't get sued for the episode on WoW.

Seriously, does no one else see this as cheesy. im waiting for them to stand up and say "this isnt Azeroth anymore" like rift did.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.

Originally posted by ariboersma

Originally posted by Alot In the image below you can see a gravestone with some sort of symbols carved into. http://www.chroniclesoftyria.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/I-played-WoW-and-look-at-me-now.If-only-I-had-been-like-you-and-stuck-to-playing-GW2.1.jpg These symbols come from the New Krytan alphabet and when translated you get:   "I played WoW and look at me now, if only I had been like you and stuck to playing Guild Wars 2."   Credits go to Jalinar for translating. Credits go to ANet for making this happen. Credits go to Alot for creating such a sensationalist thread. Credits go to (input name of easily enraged GW2 hater) for making this thread live (and die).

It seems my sensationalist title attracts a larger crowd, but I'll give credit to the OP of that thread. :P

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Rayshe
    Seriously, does no one else see this as cheesy. im waiting for them to stand up and say "this isnt Azeroth anymore" like rift did.

WoW killed that poor man. Show some respect!

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    This is awesome.  It takes a special kind of person who sees giberish and finds out that it means something.
  • Tawn47Tawn47 Member Posts: 512
    It's just an inside joke.. not a public attack on WoW..  I think it's pretty funny.

of course its cheesy, but what do you think about Blizzard and them trying to kill ANY game that comes out by waiting for them to announce a release date and then magically releaseing a key patch or expansion to hinder it. I think hiding a silly blurb in a fake language on a tomestone is far less ruse and makes me giggle.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Yeah it's pretty cheesy and unexpected, but companies are always taking little shots at each other.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Not only is it cheesy, but it's incredibly lame.  

Originally posted by Badaboom
    This is awesome.  It takes a special kind of person who sees giberish and finds out that it means something.

You mean it takes someone seriously bored to go invesigate gibberish.

Because i can.

Originally posted by Alot

Originally posted by Alot In the image below you can see a gravestone with some sort of symbols carved into. http://www.chroniclesoftyria.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/I-played-WoW-and-look-at-me-now.If-only-I-had-been-like-you-and-stuck-to-playing-GW2.1.jpg These symbols come from the New Krytan alphabet and when translated you get:   "I played WoW and look at me now, if only I had been like you and stuck to playing Guild Wars 2."   Credits go to Jalinar for translating. Credits go to ANet for making this happen. Credits go to Alot for creating such a sensationalist thread. Credits go to (input name of easily enraged GW2 hater) for making this thread live (and die).

It seems my sensationalist title attracts a larger crowd, but I'll give credit to the OP of that thread. :P

you being a popular poster + having a much better post makes you win anyways =P

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

It's a tombstone marked with some obscure alphabet created specifically for the game. There are probably like 4 people in the world who can actually read it. And it's not like it's plastered all over the world. It's in one graveyard in one zone.

It's not the same as Rift's "You're not in Azeroth" marketing campaign.

Is it cheesy? Very much so but let's not make it something that it's not. The guy who created the texture probably had a brain fart and didn't know what to write.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Special as in creative? Or special as in utterly insane?

The best art usually come from a little of both...heh...

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Damn, this is funny. Gonna look for more of these things in an hour from now :D

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    Lol there should be another tombstone with, I died from error 37....
  • RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

of course its cheesy, but what do you think about Blizzard and them trying to kill ANY game that comes out by waiting for them to announce a release date and then magically releaseing a key patch or expansion to hinder it. I think hiding a silly blurb in a fake language on a tomestone is far less ruse and makes me giggle.

Ummm, spin much?  What Blizzard does is what many businesses do.  They are simply trying to take down their competition.  Equating that with this amateurish swipe by ArenaNet is pretty ridiculous. [mod edit]

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by clumsytoes44
    Lol there should be another tombstone with, I died from error 37....

LOL

I wonder if there's an "Arrow in the knee"-gravestone.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

I like it, and it seems to hurt the feelings of a certain type of WoW fans (as seen in this thread)...

I'm a WoW fan since beta, and I find it funny :)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Psychow

Special as in creative? Or special as in utterly insane?

The best art usually come from a little of both...heh...

No doubt.

PS:  SPOILER, I started a dynamic event at that graveyard and it gets start by clicking on a certain tomb.

• Branko2307Branko2307 Member UncommonPosts: 346
    What is dead may never die...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~